Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,565 members, 7,820,042 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige (5560 Views)

Appointments That Shows Buhari's Administration Is Wasteful - Naij / Fashola, Amaechi, Ngige, Onu, Lai, Kachikwu Make Ministerial List - TheCable / Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by DejiOluyem(m): 7:32am On Nov 24, 2012

The Deputy Chairman of the Senate Committee on Power, Senator Chris Ngige, has said that the power plants built by the government of Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo, between 1999 to 2003, were wasteful ventures.

Ngige said this on Friday at the Nnamdi Azikwe University, Awka, where he delivereda talk on Power Supply in Nigeria; during theFirst Judiciary Day of the Student Union Government of UNIZIK.

He said the cost of securing and laying pipe to carry gas to the power projects at Papalanto, Oloronsogo, Geregu, Omotoso and other places, was enough to build more of such power plants and fund transmission and distribution projects.

Ngige said that simple economics teaches that industries should be sited near places where there is abundant raw materials, and not for political considerations.

He said it was more economical for the plants to be located in regions that had abundant gas to fire them.

He said Nigeria’s power sector was still gripped in a circle and something drastic should be done to get the country out of it.
But he said Nigerians must also imbibe the culture of saving power, so that they can save cost and have more power, which will be available for them to use.

He regretted that the improved power generation in the country could not get to the people because the transmission network in the country was inadequate to carry it to the final consumers.

“We have put some power generating companies on hold because if we put them all on, there will be a system collapse in transmission lines, which are very old,” he said.

He, however, regretted that the contract management and supervision of the power projects had been very poor.

“But we (in the National Assembly) have stepped up our oversight in the sector. We have appropriated significant money in the 2013 Budget to the transmission company so that the more than 2,500 mega-watts of electricity trapped in the power generating companies can be transmitted to the people for use,” he said.

http://www.punchng.com/news/obasanjo-power-plants-wasteful-ngige/

Source: Punch Newspaper
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by Xplodes2700(m): 7:39am On Nov 24, 2012
Na today dem start to dey waste? undecided
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by kettykin: 7:46am On Nov 24, 2012
A man who wasted 8 years in power , the refinery never worked and the power generation level dropped yet he sought 4 more years in power
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 24, 2012
How can a country that has no unity of purpose make progress? We all know that the Yorubas are the commander in chief of primordial ethnic sentiments. However this does not exonerate other ethnic groups. The actions of OBJ goes to confirm my submission that Nigeria is an ORPHAN. Majority of Nigerians think of what they can GET from Nigeria and NEVER what they can GIVE to Nigeria. This is why I maintain that GEJ is never the problem. GEJ is trying his best, working hard against all odds to move a very COMPLEX and complicated country forward. Majority of those who lambast GEJ today do that out of either personal, political or ethnic sentiments. Unfortunately for us the ethnic sentiments that is tearing this country apart started right from Independence with Awo (the father of ethnic sentiments), Zik and Ahmadu Bello fighting each other and ethnic sentiments was used as potent weapon to outdo each other.

8 Likes

Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by hoyehdiran: 8:40am On Nov 24, 2012
Your ethnicity took the shine off your comment. .....nd do you av to insult Yorubas b4 making your points? I remember vividly that we were the main critics of OBJ's administration than any other group....

Sincere 9gerian: How can a country that has no unity of purpose make progress? We all know that the Yorubas are the commander in chief of primordial ethnic sentiments. However this does not exonerate other ethnic groups. The actions of OBJ goes to confirm my submission that Nigeria is an ORPHAN. Majority of Nigerians think of what they can GET from Nigeria and NEVER what they can GIVE to Nigeria. This is why I maintain that GEJ is never the problem. GEJ is trying his best, working hard against all odds to move a very COMPLEX and complicated country forward. Majority of those who lambast GEJ today do that out of either personal, political or ethnic sentiments. Unfortunately for us the ethnic sentiments that is tearing this country apart started right from Independence with Awo (the father of ethnic sentiments), Zik and Ahmadu Bello fighting each other and ethnic sentiments was used as potent weapon to outdo each other.

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by gratiaeo(m): 8:41am On Nov 24, 2012
I don't know but the truth here is clear Industries is meant to be built near to the source of raw material

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by otokx(m): 8:43am On Nov 24, 2012
Obasanjo ought to be executed by firing squad for all the evil he brought upon Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by GARRIx7(m): 8:49am On Nov 24, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: How can a country that has no unity of purpose make progress? We all know that the Yorubas are the commander in chief of primordial ethnic sentiments. However this does not exonerate other ethnic groups. The actions of OBJ goes to confirm my submission that Nigeria is an ORPHAN. Majority of Nigerians think of what they can GET from Nigeria and NEVER what they can GIVE to Nigeria. This is why I maintain that GEJ is never the problem. GEJ is trying his best, working hard against all odds to move a very COMPLEX and complicated country forward. Majority of those who lambast GEJ today do that out of either personal, political or ethnic sentiments. Unfortunately for us the ethnic sentiments that is tearing this country apart started right from Independence with Awo (the father of ethnic sentiments), Zik and Ahmadu Bello fighting each other and ethnic sentiments was used as potent weapon to outdo each other.
Ethic Bigot!!!

Face the topic and stop whipping up ethnic sentiments. Ur worm-infested brain forgot how yorubas didn't relent in criticising OBJ and even refused to vote for him.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by Nnamdig2(m): 8:56am On Nov 24, 2012
This is a big lie, Ngige didn't say this. I was there. Punch
forge this
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by kelvincoll(m): 9:00am On Nov 24, 2012
Nigeria and Power, would we ever get it right this country? If only Obasanjo knew how he wud have been regarded as the "father of democracy" shud he have delivered during his tenure. Ngige' analogy on industry located near raw materials is jst the truth still We end up making the future difficult and expensive over a wasted past
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by gunuvi(m): 9:05am On Nov 24, 2012
Sorry o Mr Ngige, abi na Senmator Ngige, na who you dey fool?? Na today? By next year we will see what all the money presently allocated to your committee and the power ministry achieve for us. All of you are thieves and no difference. Wetin you sef achieve for Anambra. Shio.
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by Gombs(m): 9:20am On Nov 24, 2012
Waiting patiently for one clown to call GEJ's name.

Besides,why weren't dose industries sited close to their raw materials?....

Proud of GEJ,any day,anytime....glad I voted him,and still will

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by Felixadded(m): 9:22am On Nov 24, 2012
I subscribed to wat (Hoyehdiran) said above dat ur ethnicity took d shine off ur comment. On d oda hand, I'll like u to mention at least one developmental project which ur godfather(GEJ) has done , huh? And mention at perhaps two past head of state dat had made Nigerians proud?
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 24, 2012
D

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by 1025: 9:35am On Nov 24, 2012
and to your tents oh Israel as per the $16B and jonathan i sseriously fighting corruption.
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by Nobody: 9:38am On Nov 24, 2012
Never mind. I am aware of the sophisticated plot to disrupt any plans that would see further resource control from the North. OBJ brazenly thought he could lay pipes to the SW and even have the controls right there in the SW hence he tried to use Willbros in PHC. Today, that plan has been shattered.

Another plot by IBB & Atiku to see investments in Kadunna refinery has been surgically ripped off cos there is a secret oath from the SE & SS never to allow such to happen. 100% resource control is a must. To use the cliche from Ndu_chuks, it is a "task that must be done".

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by Nonnyz: 9:49am On Nov 24, 2012
The worst part of it all is that Obasanjo wasted over 100 billion to build some of these power plants and yet it wasn't working till GEJ came on board and completed them.
It took GEJ barely a year to revive 10 abandoned NIPP power plants. Today, they are generating over 4000 megawatts but the impact is limited due to distribution and transmission issues.

To this end, I commend GEJ for the ongoing privatization of PHCN Distribution companies(DISCOS). It is a right step in the right direction.
I also appreciate the restoration of Manitoba's contract for management of TCN. Gradually, we are getting it right.
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by Maduale: 9:53am On Nov 24, 2012
Gombs: Waiting patiently for one clown to call GEJ's name.

Besides,why weren't dose industries sited close to their raw materials?....

Proud of GEJ,any day,anytime....glad I voted him,and still will

The man is really impressive on power sector. I have the strong feeling that he will be the best president ever by the time he completes his power reforms.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by larrymoore(m): 9:57am On Nov 24, 2012
gunuvi: Sorry o Mr Ngige, abi na Senmator Ngige, na who you dey fool?? Na today? By next year we will see what all the money presently allocated to your committee and the power ministry achieve for us. All of you are thieves and no difference. Wetin you sef achieve for Anambra. Shio.
phew! All na same big fools n expert deceptologists. No politician has a clean slate in my record, ironically the ar all product of abject poverty, yet they fail to remembr dt d majority poor ar displeased wit them.
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by excondido(m): 10:06am On Nov 24, 2012
obj should be charged to react to all the alleggation pertaining power during his tenure or else ngige and co should shut the mug and do their f**king job.
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by PHIPEX(m): 10:17am On Nov 24, 2012
Ever since I started following OBJ's power plant project, one question that has remained unanswered to me has been why about 60% or more of the projects were located in SW. What comparative advantage does SW have over SS or even SE in production of Gas which is the major raw material for the project? When I eventually had the opportunity to pass through one of the projects in Ogun State I couldn't help but wept for my country because I saw abondoned pipelines all over the road. But am still not surprised because OBJ has proved the popular saying in Economics right which is that "political expediency overrives economic rationality", that is why a country like Nigeria will continue to waste all her resources without meaningful outcome. And if I may ask, where were the much celebrated Due Process Office and the Federal Character war-Lords when these projects were being cited?
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by homerac7: 10:30am On Nov 24, 2012
Nonnyz: The worst part of it all is that Obasanjo wasted over 100 billion to build some of these power plants and yet it wasn't working till GEJ came on board and completed them.
It took GEJ barely a year to revive 10 abandoned NIPP power plants. Today, they are generating over 4000 megawatts but the impact is limited due to distribution and transmission issues.

To this end, I commend GEJ for the ongoing privatization of PHCN Distribution companies(DISCOS). It is a right step in the right direction.
I also appreciate the restoration of Manitoba's contract for management of TCN. Gradually, we are getting it right.

stop drooling. GEJ is almost a far minion on d roll call of d giants dt delivered NIPP. OBJ is over 90% responsible. they r multiyear projects wc he almost fully paid for before his exit - dt explains d mysterious $16bn. others just couldnt stop it since it was almost fully paid for. so GEJ has little or nothn to do abt it.

PHIPEX: Ever since I started following OBJ's power plant project, one question that has remained unanswered to me has been why about 60% or more of the projects were located in SW. What comparative advantage does SW have over SS or even SE in production of Gas which is the major raw material for the project? When I eventually had the opportunity to pass through one of the projects in Ogun State I couldn't help but weep for my country because I saw abondoned pipeline all over the road. But am still not surprised because OBJ has proved in popular saying in Economics right which is that "political expediency overrives economic rationality", that is why a country like Nigeria will continue to waste all her resources without meaningful outcome. And if I may ask where was the much celebrated Due Process Office and the Federal Character war-Lords when these projects were being cited?

my brother, i had to do some work for NSE on ds wc went to NA some years back, d issue Ngige raised was one of d strong observations. like u said, u hav physically seen some of d mis-locations wc r so seddening all in name of politics.

do u even knw dt only few of dos stations were really supposed to b built to achieve or even surpass same capacity at d cost? yes, Egbin, Sapele and PH all had provisond for capacity expansion wc were never done. had dt bn done, it would hv been far cheaper and quicker to execute. rather we went on to litter d whole geo-political zones wt projects wc hav no feed stock supply and product evacuation facilities. do u knw dt Geregu was commissioned without an existing feedstock pipeline? yea, most of them were cited far away from existing main grids wc makes them unable to deliver to d grid.

so many technical faults wt d project due to political tinkerings.
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by Arobam: 10:30am On Nov 24, 2012
Ngige is right. Power stations should not be sited on political considerations. It should have been on the basis of proximity to basic raw materials.
That is why some of the stations like GEREGU could not operate until Jonathan convened an emergency gas to power session which fashioned a way forward for the supply of gas to those thermal stations.
The minister of petroleum, Diezani Allison Maduke, has successfully built pipelines from excravos to GEREGU inorder to convey gas. That is why there is relative improvement in power supply

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by Nonnyz: 10:52am On Nov 24, 2012
homerac7:

stop drooling. GEJ is almost a far minion on d roll call of d giants dt delivered NIPP. OBJ is over 90% responsible. they r multiyear projects wc he almost fully paid for before his exit - dt explains d mysterious $16bn. others just couldnt stopped it since it was almost fully paid for. so GEJ has little or nothn to do .

Don't say what you don't know. Agreed. Obj started and awarded most of the power plants under NIPP and funded by proceeds from excess crude account.
But it will be most untrue to credit him with 90% completion.
You will recall that in 2007, the house set up a committee to probe the power sector led by Hon Ndudi Elumelu. The committee established massive corruption in the handling of the NIPP power projects. In some cases, it was revealed that 100% payments have been made without any tangible project on ground. So how can you now claim OBJ completed 90%?
In some of the cases, the committee met overgrown weeds in places designated as power stations.

Due to these shocking revelations, Yaradua abandoned the NIPP projects without making alternative arrangements for generation.
It took Jonathan to intervene with his power sector roadmap. The roadmap was anchored on the revival of NIPP projects. Under Barth, the president pursued an aggressive refurbishment and completion of the power plants. This has yielded fruits as generational capacity has hit over 4000 megawatts.
Jonathan did it in less than a year. He deserves all the kudos.
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by Kobojunkie: 11:06am On Nov 24, 2012
He, however, regretted that the contract management and supervision of the power projects had been very poor.

“But we (in the National Assembly) have stepped up our oversight in the sector. We have appropriated significant money in the 2013 Budget to the transmission company so that the more than 2,500 mega-watts of electricity trapped in the power generating companies can be transmitted to the people for use,” he said.

I see . . . . . just a question . . . what happened to the billions of dollars that has been appropriated over the last 3 years, at least, so that the more than 70% refining capacity of our refineries can finally be realized??
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by chessguru1(m): 11:34am On Nov 24, 2012
Well said. Nigeria's problem started right from d beginning whn we had founding fathers who where regional leaders instead. Of national leaders.
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by chessguru1(m): 11:36am On Nov 24, 2012
Nnamdi_g: This is a big lie, Ngige didn't say this. I was there. Punch
forge this
Eh or maybe he said it whn ur were dozing off #just saying undecided
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by chessguru1(m): 11:45am On Nov 24, 2012
Maduale:

The man is really impressive on power sector. I have the strong feeling that he will be the best president ever by the time he completes his power reforms.
Anybody that thinks that one man or president can solve all the accumulation of national BH nd problems is seriously high on fresh weed.
Like u said, I too believe that the power sector will b GEJ's lagacy to nigerians. He might not do much of anything else, but he will solve dis problem making it easier for the nxt president 2 solve other problems.
There is no ultimate solution for nigeria. It can only b solved with continuity
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by calcal: 11:59am On Nov 24, 2012
Ngige don't know what is saying, too old to think. one should wonder why are we selling crude oil external if we can build refineries and petrochemical plants to cover the whole NDelta as per the foolish man thinking.
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by tubolancer(m): 12:32pm On Nov 24, 2012
Obj built more power stations in the southwest agreed, it is not only yoruba business that are in the southwest. I pray Jonathan also build more in the south-south and south east a task that must be done. If a northerner should come to power and build more in the north,will it not be beneficial to all. Obasanjo can easily spend the money without our knowledge. The power plant is already in the southwest pray Jonathan should construct gigantic one in the SS and SE before he leave the office. The SW will not complain since they already have their own.
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by adezzy01(m): 12:37pm On Nov 24, 2012
yorubas wer d main critics of OBJ. So we dont av much tribalism but OBJ is a disgrace2us yorubas.
Re: Obasanjo's Power Plants, Wasteful - Ngige by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 24, 2012

(1) (2) (Reply)

OUK Magnificent Mansion In Abia State PICTURES / DANGEROUS WORDS FROM ALIYU GWARZO. / Exclusive Photo: Inside APC Propaganda Room, Where the FAKE RESULTS Emanate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.