Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,932 members, 7,952,754 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:12 PM

Divided Emotions - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Divided Emotions (63620 Views)

19 Words For Emotions You Feel But Can’t Explain / Waves Of Emotions / Twisted Emotions - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Divided Emotions by Hummingbird: 10:36pm On Dec 13, 2012
9c 1...tel me u'l stil update more 2nit...plzzzzzzz wink9c 1...tel me u'l stil update more 2nit...plzzzzzzz
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 10:45pm On Dec 13, 2012
Hummingbird: 9c 1...tel me u'l stil update more 2nit...plzzzzzzz wink9c 1...tel me u'l stil update more 2nit...plzzzzzzz

Haaaaaaaaaa! till tomorrow. .feeling sleepy!
Re: Divided Emotions by LarrySun(m): 11:05pm On Dec 13, 2012
Bautifully written...still on page two...battery empty...will continue tomorrow.
You're very good, Omolola. Do you know that?
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 11:06pm On Dec 13, 2012
Omolola baby baby, sugar, sugar. Mucha gracias .
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 3:57am On Dec 14, 2012
Moving in? Goodness me! This can't be allowed to happen. No. I am shifting base. Now I know where I belong,it's with dear stubborn Kenneth. Please Omolola do something before James takes up permanent residence and ruin the chance of a possible reunion for my darlings. Kenneth is practically pushing Sonia into James' arms. Oh no!
Re: Divided Emotions by Splendblex(f): 7:01am On Dec 14, 2012
GREAT!!! Lola darlin waitin 4 MORE....
Re: Divided Emotions by buskeske: 7:06am On Dec 14, 2012
Omolola duuurrrliiiing! Pls don't break my
Heart, Sonia belongs to Kenneth, James should
Not move in o. Yeepa! *crying*
Re: Divided Emotions by litery: 7:24am On Dec 14, 2012
Thanks Lola. Never a dull moment with this story. But I just can't believe she is going to marry James. In as much as I pity James, dat dude can start a new life afresh with someone else, while Kenneth and Sonia can bring back d fire once existing in their relationship, For real Love sake.
Thanks once again Lola. Am anxiously waiting.
Re: Divided Emotions by emygreat747(m): 7:52am On Dec 14, 2012
Gosh!!!!!,kenneth z realli an intelligent young man,he has a gud discerning spirit,'why keep a lady as ur wife when u knw she wud readily kiss her luv nd possibly ave sex wit im anytime',divorce was a hard call but he had to make it,i just hope james z nt just after sonia lower lips. omolola,pls today's update shud come a little earlier than 6pm.thanx luv ur work dear.
Re: Divided Emotions by maclatunji: 8:07am On Dec 14, 2012
This is something else o. People are beginning to support fictional characters. They are hooked!
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 9:18am On Dec 14, 2012
maclatunji: This is something else o. People are beginning to support fictional characters. They are hooked!

grin

emygreat747: Gosh!!!!!,kenneth z realli an intelligent young man,he has a gud discerning spirit,'why keep a lady as ur wife when u knw she wud readily kiss her luv nd possibly ave sex wit im anytime',divorce was a hard call but he had to make it,i just hope james z nt just after sonia lower lips. omolola,pls today's update shud come a little earlier than 6pm.thanx luv ur work dear.

Okay darl! Next update, 5pm. Am at work now
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 9:35am On Dec 14, 2012
Lolly,u such a darrrrliiiing! Pls update us as soon as posible,tank u 4 makin ma day always wt ds ur piece...
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 2:44pm On Dec 14, 2012
lola are u still sleeping shocked? Still waiting o

1 Like

Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 14, 2012
It's past 5 still waiting.I'm hooked with this story
Re: Divided Emotions by Hummingbird: 6:05pm On Dec 14, 2012
cryits past 5 nw omolola....m waitin
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 6:56pm On Dec 14, 2012
Hummingbird: cryits past 5 nw omolola....m waitin

Дм §øЯЯ¥, Дм ¢Дûgђ† ûÞ î₪ †ЯДƒƒî¢, î'Ð ûÞÐД†3 ø₪¢3 î g3† ђøм3, §Д¥ 9Þм
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 7:01pm On Dec 14, 2012
Omolola1:

Дм §øЯЯ¥, Дм ¢Дûgђ† ûÞ î₪ †ЯДƒƒî¢, î'Ð ûÞÐД†3 ø₪¢3 î g3† ђøм3, §Д¥ 9Þм

You are woman of many talents, speaking gibberish too grin
Re: Divided Emotions by tijehi(f): 7:34pm On Dec 14, 2012
I'm or I am not Am
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 8:37pm On Dec 14, 2012
naijababe:

You are woman of many talents, speaking gibberish too grin

Dies with laughter grin
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 8:42pm On Dec 14, 2012
THE NEXT AFTERNOON, Kenneth was just getting ready to leave his hotel room and drive over to the house to get Divine when he heard his son knocking on the door, calling out to him in an urgent voice.

He crossed the room in a few swift strides and let him in, then gave him a bear hug. "Where's Jeff?"

"He had to help his grandma at home."

"So how come you didn't wait for me at home?"

"Because there's been a change in plans."

His spirits plummeted. Sonia had probably decided not to go with them.

"That's okay. Your mom can join us another time."

"She and James are going to meet us at the Shiny Wheel around six."

James? Kenneth gazed at his son. "You must have done a great job of patching things up with your mom where James is concerned."

"Yeah. Everything's fine. He even slept over last night."

Kenneth felt as if a grenade had just blown up his guts.

"Excuse me a minute, Divine. I think I left my wallet in the other room. Why don't you go out and wait for me in the car? It's not locked."

"Okay, Dad."

Kenneth raced to the bathroom in time to lose his lunch. M.T had warned him about precipitating events too quickly.

"Dad?" Divine murmured cautiously, opening the bathroom door a crack.

"I thought I told you to go outside."

"You looked sick. I didn't want to leave you. Its because of what I said, right? James. Because you love mom?"

His son was too astute for his own good. "Don't worry about it." He put the cap back on the paste and left the bathroom, his arm around Divine. "Thanks for always being there for me, son."

Kenneth suddenly needed to get away. On impulse he asked, "How would you like to sleep under the stars tonight?"

"Could we?"

"I don't see why not. The people selling the property told me I can have the run of the place. First thing in the morning, I'll get you back down in time for school."

"That'll be awesome. Can we get some of those flashlight lanterns?"

"Sure," Kenneth replied, eager to grant his son his slightest wish. Especially after what he'd learned tonight. It was going to be just the two of them. . .

Forty-five minutes later, they were loading gear into the Siena. "Dad! I think we bought out the whole store."

"Looks that way, doesn't it? When you camp with me, you do it right. Let's head over to the grocery story and load the cooler."

With Divine discussing the instructions for their new lantern and stove, time passed quickly, and they arrived at the Shiny wheel before Sonia.

"Mom's not here yet."

"While we're waiting, let's sit on the grass over there and I'll show you how to play cards. We'll start with twenty-one."

"Mom doesn't like card games."

"I suspect your mom doesn't want you to know how good she used to be at twenty-one. Of course, she could never beat me, but she came close a couple of times."

"Mom?"

"Your mom was one exciting woman, Dee."

On a sharp intake of breath, Kenneth pulled the pack of cards he'd bought out of his shirt pocket. After placing one of the lantern boxes between them for a table, he started shuffling.

"Dad? How did you learn to do that with one hand?"

"Have you ever heard the expression 'Necessity is the mother of invention'?"

"Yes." They grinned at each other.

"All right. I'm going to deal each of us a card facedown, and one faceup. You want both cards to add up to twenty-one or as close to it as possible, but you don't want to go over. Take a peek at your bottom card and decide if you want another card, or if you want to stay as is. If you want a card, say, "Hit me."

Divine had a quick mind. It didn't take him long to catch on and start trying to outsmart his old man. They must have played at least fifteen times before a shadow fell over them. It was Sonia. He'd know her perfume anywhere.

"What are you two doing?" Her voice sounded half-amused, half-exasperated.

He turned his head, taking in the vision that blinded him to everything else. "Nothing you and I haven't done on innumerable occasions. Of course the stakes were a little different then." Kenneth added before he could catch himself.

A becoming flush filled her cheeks.
. . .She remembers. . .

Divine was still figuring his numbers and could hardly stop long enough to greet his mother.

"Do you want to eat first?" She seemed to have trouble meeting his gaze.

. . .Sonia, sweetheart...you're acting just like you did when we first met. All breathless and nervous. Why?

"It's getting darker. Maybe you'd better follow me and Divine to the property while we can still see."

She nodded jerkily, then walked back to the Mercedez parked three cars down. Kenneth couldn't stop staring at her. That was when he unexpectedly met James Okoye's cool black eyes. The other man had been watching him, sizing him up.
Re: Divided Emotions by oluchijud(f): 8:54pm On Dec 14, 2012
omolola save a soul pleaseee .. Ds gal is dying 2 read ur next line.. Bn coming online 4 some days nw 2 check on ur updates.. I luv ds write-up!!!. **pulls her by her skirt** . More plssss!! I'm in luv wt Ken..
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 9:14pm On Dec 14, 2012
Kenneth nodded in acknowledgement. James reciprocated.

Because of blindfolds and the darkness of the underground bunkers, he never saw his enemy in Iraq.
Coming face-to-face with the enemy in Abaji, Abuja...as benign a setting as anywhere in the world...was a whole new experience.

"We'll continue our game before bed, Divine," he announced, then turned on the ignition.

"Okay, but let's hurry. This is a lot more fun than video games."

"Now you're showing some real maturity."

Five minutes later they'd left the small town and were driving a country lane toward the west.

"Ah, Divine, this is the life. Everything in this valley is so green and fresh. Smell that air."

His son made a face. "Yeah. Manure. Someone's been fertilizing."

Kenneth threw back his head and laughed.

Every now and then he glanced at the rearview mirror. James maintained several car lengths' distance.

"We're here!"

"We are."

Pulling to the side of the road, he turned off the engine and jumped out of the Siena. He had decided to wear the black T-shirt and jacket Sonia had picked out for him the other day to let her know he appreciated her doing some shopping for him.

Not pausing in his stride, he headed for the Mercedez and right up to the driver's side as James levered himself from the car. Divine had joined Sonia who stood nearby, looking anxious.

Kenneth could tell at a glance that he and James were the same height. This close, he was forced to admit Sonia had found herself a good-looking man.

"Hello, James. I've wanted to meet you for some time. From all I've heard, you've been wonderful to Divine. I appreciate everything you've done for him." He extended his right hand.

James gave it a firm shake. "Kenneth, it's an honour to meet you. Congratulations on surviving an ordeal few men will ever have to go through. Welcome home."

He nodded. "It's good to be home." His gaze switched to Sonia. "If you'll look to the west over here..." He gestured "...all the property going to the foothills, is going to be my farm and home in a month or so, but only if you like it and approve of the whole idea."

Her voice sounded faraway when she said, "It's beautiful, Kenneth. There isn't anything not to like. How about you Dee?"

"I love it up here, Mom, and it's not that far from home."

"No, you're right. Of course I approve."

"I'm glad." Kenneth managed to find the words, then once again addressed James. "The property due south, with the farm house style is still for sale. My friend, M.T and his wife, would like to move up here, too. We plan to farm together, and I think we can make a go of it."

"I don't doubt it," James replied. "I' have to admit it's beautiful up here. If I'd been in prison as long as you, I'd head for the mountain too. Being in the outdoors makes all the difference."

"Divine told me you're quite the biker, which means you're outdoors a lot."

"I'm not the nine-to-five office type, either."

Kenneth nodded, then looked around, "if I do live here, Divine will be spending a lot of time with me.
"As I told Sonia, since you're going to be the other man in my son's life, I want us to be able to communicate so that we all get along and do what's best for him."

"I couldn't agree more."

. . .The man's sincere. I can't fault your choice, Sonia. . .

"You'll be joining us for dinner at the Shiny Wheel, Kenneth?"

"Thanks, but no. Maybe another time."

"Yes," Divine piped up. "Dad and I decided to camp tonight."

Sonia seemed astounded. "Where?"

"Here, on the property."

"But, Divine, you have school in the morning."

"It's all right, Sonia," Kenneth intervened. "I'll have him down in time. Tonight we're going to count stars and tell moonlight stories."

"Do you have anything to eat?" She blurted, her troubled gaze passing from Divine to Kenneth.
. . .Worried about me, sweetheart? Won't the mother in you let go?

"We've got everything, mom."

"Are you going to be warm enough?"

"We bought all new blankets," Divine said, "Do you want to see it?"

"I think James and your mom are anxious to get back to town for dinner. As for us, son, we've got a camp to set up before we get lost in our own cow pasture."

Divine seemed to find the remark funny and laughed. Sonia's expression remained unaccountably sober.

"Are you all right about this, Sonia? If you'd prefer that I take Divine home, I will."

"N-no," she murmured. "It's fine." Her gaze fused with his. "Just take good care of yourselves."

. . .Are you worried about my having another nightmare? Afraid Divine will see it?

"Divine and I will watch over each other," he reassured her. "James, it was nice meeting you."

"My pleasure." They shook hands.

"Let's go, son. See you two later." He nodded to Sonia, then turned and headed for the Siena.

Divine followed suit and jumped into the car. Kenneth started the engine and drove past the property, forcing himself not to look through the rearview mirror.

. . .Don't think about them. Just don't think. . .

"This is awesome. I wish Mom..." He stopped himself, embarrassed.

"So do I, son. But I'm afraid, it's going to be just me and you from here on out."
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 9:28pm On Dec 14, 2012
Sorry dats all I can post tonight! Not feeling well
Re: Divided Emotions by maclatunji: 9:32pm On Dec 14, 2012
Omolola1: Sorry dats all I can post tonight! Not feeling well

Take care of yourself, you have more than done well.
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 9:50pm On Dec 14, 2012
maclatunji:

Take care of yourself, you have more than done well.

Thanks dear! Whose side are you on anyway? cheesy
Re: Divided Emotions by emygreat747(m): 9:51pm On Dec 14, 2012
sowie dear,get well soon,gudnyt dear.
Re: Divided Emotions by kelmich(m): 11:07pm On Dec 14, 2012

sorry dear hope its nothing serious, get well soon
Re: Divided Emotions by kelmich(m): 11:10pm On Dec 14, 2012

sorry dear hope its nothing serious, get well soon so you can continue with this story i'm so addicted to
Re: Divided Emotions by Hummingbird: 11:10pm On Dec 14, 2012
9c work...please takia of ursef...2mao is anoda day
Re: Divided Emotions by kq(m): 11:13pm On Dec 14, 2012
Chei O-M-O-L-O-L-A.....i have to admit i was on suspense there...thinking some evil thoughts that Kenneth was going to do to James and Sonia but all the same sha...
thanks for the update.

Take care and have a nice nite.
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 12:08am On Dec 15, 2012

Sorry dear. Hope you feel better soon.

#Teamkenneth#
Re: Divided Emotions by maclatunji: 12:32am On Dec 15, 2012
Omolola1:

Thanks dear! Whose side are you on anyway? cheesy

Funny enough, I am not emotionally attached to your story. I have been studying it in a technical way more as a critic than a fan. I kind of feel Kenneth and Sonia are going to end-up together, I can read it in-between everything. You chose a very uncommon plot and you have done well with it so far.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between Learnt And Learned? / TORN (based On A True Life Story) / Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.