Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,304 members, 7,954,222 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:40 PM

Divided Emotions - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Divided Emotions (63631 Views)

19 Words For Emotions You Feel But Can’t Explain / Waves Of Emotions / Twisted Emotions - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 10:56am On Dec 12, 2012
Kgdavid:

TEAM JAMES!!!! you have to have been in his shoes in reality to understand how painful this is...practically being the underdog in a love triangle...in reality this story ends in utter tragedy for one of the men. two years of watching and waiting and then suddenly when you have one hand on the trophy you hear that you have to start the race all over again its actually easier for Kenneth to move on and find a new girl since he's been away for so long....seven years without seeing your loved one ought to make one a little numb...plus the post traumatic stress should make him a little difficult to live with in reality

It's also not easy for Kenneth.
It's a pity I can't take sides coz am the writer grin

litery: Lola, I must confess u r great! I have never been this glued to my system. I feel for Sonia, I just don't know what I would have done if it were me. Both men are quite understanding, I just hope it ends well for them
both. And for Sonia too.

Thanks dear

emygreat747: after failing mb1 nd having to repeat 200l again,just found comfort reading ur work,so so interesting dat i had to stay up all nite wanting nothing more,just want to say thank you for dis,atleast with dis i shud be strong to face the challenges ahead.

Am honoured!
Re: Divided Emotions by chinedumo(m): 11:05am On Dec 12, 2012
nne3870: Wow..... Interesting.
Nice one lola... Poor sonia, she doesn't even know who she really wants.
i know u wish dis is ur fate. Two men at ur beck and call. Spare tyre for whichever way d wind blows
Re: Divided Emotions by chinedumo(m): 11:08am On Dec 12, 2012
Omotola brain work in action. I believe she should earn money out of this creativity. Nairalanders dipped ur hand into ur pocket...complementing omotola is not enough. One more thing. Omotola what is your secret?
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 11:11am On Dec 12, 2012
Good job here Lola. I am somewhat confused when you describe your characters and their behaviour. Are they white or black? Also, please pay attention to minor details. Loving it so far.
Re: Divided Emotions by emygreat747(m): 11:41am On Dec 12, 2012
plz,omolola we r staying waiting
Re: Divided Emotions by Bec(f): 11:43am On Dec 12, 2012
Lola, I'm really enjoying your story...please, I'm waiting for the conclusion.
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 12:08pm On Dec 12, 2012
chinedumo: Omotola brain work in action. I believe she should earn money out of this creativity. Nairalanders dipped ur hand tnto ur pocket...complementing omotola is not enough. One more thing. Omotola what is your secret?

First off, its Lola. .not Tola
The money aspect is not a bad idea grin grin grin

My secret? GOD. . .and extensive research

naijababe: Good job here Lola. I am somewhat confused when you describe your characters and their behaviour. Are they white or black? Also, please pay attention to minor details. Loving it so far.
Noted. Thanks.

Bec: Lola, I'm really enjoying your story...please, I'm waiting for the conclusion.

I'm glad you love it!
Re: Divided Emotions by emygreat747(m): 12:37pm On Dec 12, 2012
omolola,pls tell me the tym to check for the next update
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 1:00pm On Dec 12, 2012
emygreat747: omolola,pls tell me the tym to check for the next update

Between 6 and 7pm

1 Like

Re: Divided Emotions by emygreat747(m): 1:14pm On Dec 12, 2012
smiley[img][/img] owk,thanx.
Re: Divided Emotions by avicky(f): 2:12pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ur well of inspiration shall never dry.
Re: Divided Emotions by chinedumo(m): 2:22pm On Dec 12, 2012
Omolola1:

First off, its Lola. .not Tola
The money aspect is not a bad idea grin grin grin

My secret? GOD. . .and extensive research

u dont have to tell me all now. I want to be your apprentice. I want to be a great writer. Dont tell me that this is all for the fun. U have got to be putting this talent to good use
Re: Divided Emotions by kelmich(m): 2:56pm On Dec 12, 2012
i started following your story yesterday and I'm enjoying every bit of it. Thumbs up
Re: Divided Emotions by essyontop: 3:37pm On Dec 12, 2012
This suspense is getting out of hand now please lola I need my today's daily dose.
I represent TEAM KENNETH ffor real. Thumbs up
Re: Divided Emotions by Silke(f): 3:37pm On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 12, 2012
Beautiful piece you're cooking up here. I'm loving (and hating) the suspense all at once smiley. God bless ur craft though, I believe you. Meanwyl, do make u come update biko, joor smiley
Re: Divided Emotions by Tomeseen(f): 5:33pm On Dec 12, 2012
kiss lovely, am hooked. Was gonna criticize ur plot but heck its fiction right. U are allowed to get away wit it dis time. If u ever decide to write a less stimulating story, i might decide to criticize after all. So u are warned. But hey!!! Come over here and finish dis story ASAP, before i declare u AWOL and put out an APB on u. angry i mean it, so get back to work. wink
Re: Divided Emotions by luvly(f): 5:46pm On Dec 12, 2012
Nice piece of work
Re: Divided Emotions by Hummingbird: 7:11pm On Dec 12, 2012
Omolola....av bn login in evry 5mintues 2 c if u'v postd anytn on divided emotions...
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 12, 2012
Where is this girl with our update na? Abi 6pm never nack ni?
Re: Divided Emotions by DAvIt0(m): 7:35pm On Dec 12, 2012
Omomlola1 tonights dose ooooooo
Re: Divided Emotions by emygreat747(m): 7:38pm On Dec 12, 2012
naijababe: Where is this girl with our update na? Abi 6pm never nack ni?
omolola,pls u r killing us,do sumtin pls,tankx
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 8:32pm On Dec 12, 2012
naijababe: Where is this girl with our update na? Abi 6pm never nack ni?

Am sorry! Network was really bad! I couldn't access the internet.
Would be updating soon!

Tomeseen: kiss lovely, am hooked. Was gonna criticize ur plot but heck its fiction right. U are allowed to get away wit it dis time. If u ever decide to write a less stimulating story, i might decide to criticize after all. So u are warned. But hey!!! Come over here and finish dis story ASAP, before i declare u AWOL and put out an APB on u. angry i mean it, so get back to work. wink

grin grin grin

Silke: This woman called Omolola, abeg no kill me for my mama o. This suspense fit dash person HBP. I'm a newcomer on nairaland and u r already conspiring against my health with this story. Abegi ooo! Post make I see road do oda things. But you too much sha

Hahahahahaha! You know I love u too much to give u a high BP cheesy

essyontop: This suspense is getting out of hand now please lola I need my today's daily dose.
I represent TEAM KENNETH ffor real. Thumbs up

Thanks dear.
Up next!
Re: Divided Emotions by beckytoyon(f): 8:34pm On Dec 12, 2012
Welldone Omolola. Can't wait 4 ur update.
Re: Divided Emotions by Hadeyur(f): 8:42pm On Dec 12, 2012
Update oooooo. its almost 9 0 clock oooo undecided
Re: Divided Emotions by emygreat747(m): 8:48pm On Dec 12, 2012
omolola please,please,help us out.
Re: Divided Emotions by Audrie(f): 8:49pm On Dec 12, 2012
methinks the author is leaning towards the husband getting back with the wife. there is too much gist about Ken and his feelings. the story seems to be mostly about Ken, more than the James guy. that's just my take, based on what I have read so far. smiley
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 8:51pm On Dec 12, 2012
SONIA AWOKE from her restless sleep with a jolt. Something had disturbed her. Probably a nightmare, but she couldn't remember it. The scene in the kitchen before dinner had been enough of a nightmare to last a lifetime.

Yet Divine and his father had consumed their Pounded yam with enjoyment. You would never have known anything was wrong. Afterward, they'd helped her with the dishes, then left for the gym.

Sonia couldn't stand her own company, but was strangely reluctant to call James. Since they'd already said their painful goodbyes, she hated the idea of calling him and starting everything all over again...when she firmly believed Kenneth hadn't meant what he said.

She couldn't imagine that he'd really go through with the divorce. Of course she couldn't stop him from moving out in the next few days, but she didn't think it'd be permanent. His pride and anger had gotten in the way. When he cooled off, he'd see that Divine needed him at home.

The fact that he was waiting for her to see the property before he bought it told her that he really didn't plan to end their marriage.

. . .There was that noise again. . .

Occasionally Divine talked in his sleep. It didn't surprise her that tonight was one of those times. He'd acted so brave at the table, but she knew he was heartbroken over the turn of events.

. . .How could you do it, Kenneth? How could you shatter our son's dreams like that?

She tried to fall back to sleep, then shot straight up in bed as the sounds grew louder.

Without wasting another second, she climbed out of bed and hurried out of the room to see what was wrong with Divine. But when she reached the passage, she realized the sounds were coming from the front of the house.

Kenneth!

He must have fallen asleep with the TV on. He insisted it was the only way he could relax; he usually dropped off sometime during the wee hours. She'd tried to persuade him to at least lie down in the guest bedroom, but he always refused, saying he preferred the couch.

She shut Divine's door, then walked quickly toward the living room. But with every step the sounds became clearer. First, she'd hear groans, then a voice talking at a frantic pace.

When she entered the living room and saw that the TV was off, she knew the almost inhuman noises had to be coming from Kenneth.

In the moonlight spilling through the windows she could see her husband crouched on the floor, wearing only his track pants, his body glistening with sweat.

To her horror his head was moving back and forth as if he were using it as a battering ram. He kept clawing at his injured arm with his right hand.

"We have to get these shackles off. We have to get out of the doors, M.T. We need transportation. We have to hijack a bus, going to need some weapons, need someone who speaks Arabic. We have to get out of here, M.T. We have to find out where we are. Here they come. Don't tell them anything, M.T. Oh God. Don't let us die. Get us of out of here. Please God, Please, God. Please, God. Please, God."

Sonia stood transfixed as Kenneth repeated the same litany over and over again. When she couldn't stand it any longer, she threw her body down next to his and gathered him in her arms.

Even when she held him against her, he continued the rocking motion. Despite his weight loss, he was in amazingly good shape. His strength terrified her because he was in a deep sleep and had no control over his movements.

"Kenneth...wake up, darling! It's Sonia. Wake up!"

She took an elbow in the jaw before she managed to roll him onto his back. Now she lay on top of him, using both hands to smooth the moisture from his face and forehead. His heart was racing; his breath came in pants.

"Wake up, Kenneth. You're dreaming. It's Sonia. Wake up, my love. Come on."

She began shaking his shoulders.

"Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it..." He cried, trying to cover his ear with his arm, flinching repeatedly as if someone was beating him. His motions had thrown her down hard on her side, but she clung to him, wrapping her arms around his head, so that he was butting her chest.

Sonia was terrified because nothing was working, nothing was bringing him out of it. Years ago, when Divine was in the hospital dangerously ill with typhoid, the only thing that had calmed him was her singing. She'd sat on the side of his hospital bed and sung nonstop to him all night long.

Out of sheer instinct, she began singing to her husband.

"Away in a manger, no crib for a bed, the little Lord Jesus lay down his sweet head. The stars in the bright sky looked down where he lay, the little Lord Jesus asleep on the hay. Asleep, asleep. Asleep, asleep. Asleep..."

Miraculously his agitation began to subside. The screams, the mutterings, faded.

Sending up a prayer of gratitude, she sang every Christmas carol she could think of until his body relaxed and he slept in her arms.

For the rest of the night Sonia kept a vigil over her husband. She didn't dare sleep in case his nightmares returned.

Around eight, she eased away from him and gathered to her feet. Every muscle in her body felt cramped. The throbbing in her jaw was bad enough to need a painkiller. Kenneth lay stretched out on his side, looking peaceful. For a few moments she studied the familiar profile, the natural male grace of his long lean body.

Throughout their marriage, she'd kissed every inch of it, thrilled to every inch of it. They'd shared every thought and dream. Now, seven years later, through no fault of their own, they shared something else.

She had no name for it.
There was no name for it.

Only Hauwa Danjuma knew what Sonia was feeling right now because she must be living through some kind of experience with M.T.

Sonia reached for a blanket and carefully covered him, then tiptoed from the room to call M.T.'s wife.

"WE'LL, DIVINE? What do you think? The black Pathfinder or the White Siena?"

Kenneth already knew his choice, but he was curious to see if his son had the same taste in cars.

"I don't know, Dad. They're both awesome."
"You're right about that. Of course, we don't have to decide today."

Divine's face fell. "But, Dad, I thought we were going to drive it off the lot."

"First we have to make a choice. Then they have to get it ready and do all the paperwork. That doesn't give me much time to get to my therapy session. As it is, I'll have to drive the rental car back to Abaji and ask them to drop me off at one of the dealerships."

"Okay. Then I say we get the Siena. But only if you like it."

Kenneth grinned and gave Divine a hug. "Like father, like son. The Siena was my choice, too." He liked the comfort of it and the way it handled on the road.
"Let's see if they can work us a fast deal."

When Divine repeated Kenneth's remark to the car salesman, the man said, "Since your dad's a war hero, I'll cut you another couple of thousand off the factory price. Not only that, I'll have one of the guys in the garage take your rental car back for you."

That brought a smile to Divine's face.

Kenneth murmured something appropriate, but he wasn't so thrilled. Not that he didn't appreciate a few breaks once in a while. But in the five weeks since he'd come home, he'd been singled out every time he appeared in public. The TV spot on him had aired on the ten-o'clock news the night of the neighbourhood welcome-home party. Now it seemed he was a minor celebrity.

People meant well, but he didn't think he would ever get used to the unsolicited attention. As for children, it stung every time he saw one hiding behind a mother's skirts, staring at his bad arm. You never knew what questions or comments would suddenly pour forth from their mouths. Adults weren't much different.

"This is a beauty, Dad!" Divine said a half hour later, his voice rising with excitement. "I can't wait to drive it." He'd opened all the windows and turned the car radio, acting like any other teenager...enthusiastic and slightly out of control."

Kenneth chuckled. He could remember telling his father the same thing when he was the same age as Divine. "If your mom approves and the sale of that land goes through, I'll teach you how to drive."

"I want to live with you, Dad," he said urgently.

. . .What else is new?

"We've been over that ground before. You belong with your mother, but the arrangement we've worked out is good, isn't it?"

"Yeah. I guess. But it seems awkward. Mom and me alone in the house, and you over at the hotel."

"That was the best decision, to give your mom her privacy."

"But James never comes over!"

"Maybe that's because you haven't tried hard enough to make him feel welcome." The thought horrified him clear through...this other man, welcome in Sonia's house...but Kenneth said the words, anyway, knowing she had a right to the life and the man, she'd chosen.

"I don't care anymore."

. . .Dee, boy. If only you could hear yourself. . .

"Then you need to tell your mother it's okay, so she'll start letting him come over."

Divine looked genuinely troubled. "Do you really think I'm the reason he stays away?"

Kenneth nodded. "Now that you know, it would be cruel not to help your mom."

Divine thought about it for a minute. "Okay. I'll talk to her when I get home. Can I come over tonight?"

"I'm afraid not, son. I'm getting together with M.T, he's in Abuja. But tomorrow, after your class, I'll take you and Jeff up to Ligwai with me. We'll test this baby out."

"Yes!"

The therapy lasted until six; Divine read magazines in the waiting room while Kenneth worked with the therapist. It was almost six-thirty by the time they got to the house, and Kenneth wasn't surprised that Sonia came from the front porch steps as soon as she saw them drive into the compound.

"Kenneth? Don't drive off. I have to talk to you!" She called.

Divine jumped down and ran toward her, regaling her with a blow-by-blow account of the afternoon's activities. His rapture over the new car was evident in the running commentary he kept up.

Though she appeared to be listening to their son, Kenneth could tell there was something vital on her mind. She started toward the Siena, determination in every step.

When she reached the driver's side, she told Divine to go inside and get washed up for dinner.

Divine waved. "See you tomorrow, Dad."

Kenneth waved back, then turned in Sonia's direction."

. . .Lord, what a sight. . .
He knew what she looked like...what she felt like...under that navy-trimmed white suit she was wearing. He knew every single line and curve. An ache passed through his body. It was so intense he had to stifle a groan.

"How are you, Sonia?"

Her chin lifted defiantly. "Not good."

He frowned. "What's wrong?"

Those gorgeous angry eyes looked as if they might shoot sparks at any minute. "A warrant was just served on me for my arrest!"

The situation wasn't funny, but Kenneth fought not to smile. "Why?"

"Because I didn't respond to the summons."

"Why didn't you?"

"You know why, Kenneth Brown."

The blood pounded in his ears.
. . .Oh. Sonia, sweetheart. You're sounding more and more like your old self. If only you wanted me the way I want you. . .

"Because I honestly didn't think you'd go through with the divorce. Obviously I was wrong." Her voice trembled, although he knew she was doing her best to cover it up.

"All you have to do is get a Lawyer of your own, and you won't have anything to worry about. I'm paying the court costs, remember."

"You can be as smug as you want," she snapped. "But you won't feel the same way when I slap a countersuit against you to stop the divorce."

His heart leapt. "On what grounds?"

"Temporary insanity due to your long imprisonment."

Kenneth threw back his head and laughed till his ribs hurt. He couldn't help it. She was so adorable.

. . .Dear God. How he loved her. . .
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 12, 2012
ope o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 9:02pm On Dec 12, 2012
Audrie: methinks the author is leaning towards the husband getting back with the wife. there is too much gist about Ken and his feelings. the story seems to be mostly about Ken, more than the James guy. that's just my take, based on what I have read so far. smiley

Like I earlier stated, I created these characters, there's no point in being partial!
Kenneth is the husband, James is the fiance.
Kenneth is hurt, James is hurt.
There's no partiality!
I started the story and I knew how I wanted it to end before even writing!

Your observation is appreciated though.
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 9:07pm On Dec 12, 2012
Abegi o spoiler alerts not appreciated here angry
Re: Divided Emotions by Oluwafunmilayo95(f): 9:12pm On Dec 12, 2012
naijababe: Abegi o spoiler alerts not appreciated here angry
SECONDED ....some pipo need to keep their thoughts to themselves undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between Learnt And Learned? / TORN (based On A True Life Story) / Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.