Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? (19203 Views)

Is It Right For A Christian Wife To Say Things Like These During Sex? / Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? / Lagos Orders Churches To Remove Loud Speakers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by jimino(m): 9:45am On Nov 26, 2012
are sure such churches r actually use 2 worship GOD or bizness centre wer some selected few make money
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by lovejo(m): 9:47am On Nov 26, 2012
Payment is always base on number of time the instrumentalist performed in a month, i don't it there should be a fixed salary due to instrumentalist having under assignment somewhere. If the instrumentalist is under contract of service, the contract should be respected by the church.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Youngzedd(m): 9:47am On Nov 26, 2012
Freiburger:
What are you saying? are most pastors not on salary?

Don't compare ur self to pastor.
He is always there to serve us and God, comparing the duty of a pastor to urs it's like comparing infinity jeep to keke. Read ur bible always.

Don't mind PJ owners am talking about pastors.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Freiburger(m): 9:51am On Nov 26, 2012
Youngzedd:

He is always there to serve us and God, comparing the duty of a pastor to urs it's like comparing infinity jeep to keke. Read ur bible always.

O.K, are most churches not a business organisation? How does that sound? grin
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Gpattern(m): 9:51am On Nov 26, 2012
If Pastor, Reverend, Bishops etc and instrumentals are paid, then all other workers in church should be paid. The Church is not a work station but a service station its a place where we give our heart felt service to God. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by cbjonstage(m): 9:54am On Nov 26, 2012
any church registered and run by Board of Directors as member/ non-member is seen as a business entity.
so any service rendered by any individual/member in the church why wont his wages or salaries be paid
whether you call it encourage fund or motivational pay package - 'pay na pay' even if is by contract agreement. pay them their service delivery because thats wot attract new and old members to keep coming to church
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Freiburger(m): 9:56am On Nov 26, 2012
cbjonstage: any church registered and run by Board of Directors as member/ non-member is seen as a business entity.
so any service rendered by any individual/member in the church why wont his wages or salaries be paid
whether you call it encourage fund or motivational pay package - 'pay na pay' even if is by contract agreement. pay them their service delivery because thats wot attract new and old members to keep coming to church
kiss
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by DCTrendy(m): 10:01am On Nov 26, 2012
Usually instrumentalist play instruments for a living.

That is the case in a very outstanding church i know in Lagos. So, they should get paid.

Volunteers that have regular jobs should do the work as unto the Lord for Free.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Nobody: 10:01am On Nov 26, 2012

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by davies123: 10:05am On Nov 26, 2012
Joagbaje: It depends. Some do it voluntarily they dont have to be paid ,But you may not always be able to count on their availability for very meeting ,wedding etc.because of school,job, marriages,job transfer,business trips etc. so for that reason ,it won't be a bad idea to have some on payroll

I'm keyboardist and a bass guiterist and have played for more than 10 yrs though have not been active for d past one year or so,but here is my take...If the musician is a church worker he should not be paid except his playing full time for the church,that is just as the church Administrator he is a staff and doesn't do anything else...but if he is a student or not willing to work full time for the church he can be appreciated unmandatorily,the church shouldn't be under any compulsion to pay him wages...however in love they should support him as much as possible and pay his school fees if possible this is because he attends almost alld services and may spend more in terms of tfare compared to other workers...and may not hv free time to get allowances from other petty jobs...
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Mckybarf(m): 10:06am On Nov 26, 2012
This is a very dicey issue and always treated with mixed opinions everywhere but to understand this one needs a firm grasp of the livites and the charge laid on them by God concerning the tebernacle and its duties. What i must emphasize is, anybody, whomsoever is concerned with the activities of any church and with this i mean a church worker( pastors, usher, singers, instrumentalists, etc) is a spiritual levite and thus entitled to some emolument of some sort. That notwithstanding, doing that robs all of us of the blessing that comes with voluntary service that is rendered without expecting anything in return, the which the christian life is all about. This too oughtn't be an excuse to rob people who render service of their due. At least, a little something to motivate them will do no harm. One thing to note is that these people spent resources and time in training themselves to be useful. He who sows or harvests does so with expectancy. Besides, why muzzle the ox that drives the plough?
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by rhymz(m): 10:07am On Nov 26, 2012
corruptst: Hi Nairalanders,
This topic is borne out of the burden I felt over the issue of what is normal and what is right. Most times, the frequency at which we do some things may actually impair our judgement of normality and rightness. I am not really the "brother" type but more of a moralist who cannot but be amused by the level in which churches are being run especially in this part of the world.

A very close pal visited me today and continuously ranted about how the church where he plays bass guitar "bleeped up" by not paying his October salary. I wasn't really surprised since this wouldn't really have been the first time of hearing of such payments. I had to question him on the necessity for such since he did it for GOD and that resulted in a long argument with him giving untold reasons.

My question is, Is it right for these churches to needlessly subject themselves to untold hardship trying to run the church and at the same time trying to pay salaries to the so called instrumentalists?

Your opinions will be appreciated.
You sound like a clueless kid with no real knowledge of how things work. Is the instrumentalist not rendering a service to the church? So when month end make im tell landlord say him dey work for God. . .lol. . The pastors themselves are working for who? But they get fat salaries, even the so-called founders are 4cking paid too. How are you? Na una brain na in oyedepo take dey fly jet

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by searay2(m): 10:18am On Nov 26, 2012
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG IN THE CHURCH PAYING THEIR INSTRUMENMENTALIST.

If the instrumentalist are taking playing as their profession, there's is nothing wrong. For one to be able to play well, you need lots of materials, time and commitment(unless you are playing what I called "Ariaria"or "Ekpamo"wink.
Before now when I had no job, I used to score for like 5 songs for our choir + including Praise and worship songs but now I can't have the time to score upto 3 so I only play just to feel in the space. If someone is taking instrumentation as a job, he or she should be paid.

Again churches that doesn't pay their players don't value them. They can do to them as they like, talking to them any how etc because is working for which at the end he will not be bless by God because of the condition of his mind.
Finally paying an instrumentalist can serve as a motivation /incentive to the player. I know some peeps will say that Paul encourage himself in the Lord, yes but this the 21st century and Christianity has matured. Instrumentalist are Ministers just as pastors who are ministers of the word. So you know...
Please my church is not paying me oooo, I buy my fuel or battery each time I want to rehearsed. God is blessing me steady for this. It's a sacrifice
I love gospel Music.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Everkwems(m): 10:19am On Nov 26, 2012
ya
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by kevoh(m): 10:19am On Nov 26, 2012
When a question like this arises on wether to be paid in doing your own quota in helping others and yourself to worship God, I expect those end-of-time noise makers to come out but NO they will not until they see a goat born with deformity before they start crying end of time.Mtchew!
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by omoolutl: 10:22am On Nov 26, 2012
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Freiburger(m): 10:24am On Nov 26, 2012
kevoh: When a question like this arises on wether to be paid in doing your own quota in helping others and yourself to worship God, I expect those end-of-time noise makers to come out but NO they will not until they see a goat born with deformity before they start crying end of time.Mtchew!
If i'm not wrong, so you meant giving one's opinion on the reason why church instrumentalists should be paid is also a symbol of end of time or?
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Daluuzor(m): 10:24am On Nov 26, 2012
ledafaze: I have been awaiting this thread for like ever.... This thing is very popular in the common man RCCG churches across Nigeria and I wonder why they should be paid for playing guitar, piano, talking drum and sorts of.

To me it is senseless paying them... It is not by force to play instruments and even I can blame the church themselves... If they act like the likes of MFM, Apostolic Faith, Deeper Life Ministries and co that use their money to develop the young ones on how to be instrumentalists. Even if they will run away, believe you have done it for God developing someone's life and hand them over to God. Jesus continued doing the miracles even though only one of the ten came to say "Thanks Lord".

Instead of paying them, they should hold three months salary, buy three of that type of instruments and send three promising guys/ladies in the church for training and they will surely get the best out of it.

Many pastors will have issues when they get to heaven and the instrumentalists are not left behind because God will simply say you have taken your part when you were working in the church so nothing to weigh your work with... What a Shame!

How I wish the pastors are reading this cry cry cry

hmmm, dats really so badt comin frm u, like wat sombody rightly pointed out, wat if dey r professionals doin deir own business, so dey shuld not b paid ba? Those who rent chairs and canopies shuld not b paid too abi?
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Daluuzor(m): 10:25am On Nov 26, 2012
ledafaze: I have been awaiting this thread for like ever.... This thing is very popular in the common man RCCG churches across Nigeria and I wonder why they should be paid for playing guitar, piano, talking drum and sorts of.

To me it is senseless paying them... It is not by force to play instruments and even I can blame the church themselves... If they act like the likes of MFM, Apostolic Faith, Deeper Life Ministries and co that use their money to develop the young ones on how to be instrumentalists. Even if they will run away, believe you have done it for God developing someone's life and hand them over to God. Jesus continued doing the miracles even though only one of the ten came to say "Thanks Lord".

Instead of paying them, they should hold three months salary, buy three of that type of instruments and send three promising guys/ladies in the church for training and they will surely get the best out of it.

Many pastors will have issues when they get to heaven and the instrumentalists are not left behind because God will simply say you have taken your part when you were working in the church so nothing to weigh your work with... What a Shame!

hmmm, dats really so badt comin frm u, like wat sombody rightly pointed out, wat if dey r professionals doin deir own business, so dey shuld not b paid ba? Those who rent chairs and canopies shuld not b paid too abi?
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by ektbear: 10:26am On Nov 26, 2012
There is nothing unbiblical about paying for instrumentalists.

This is about as wrong as a church paying for electricity, a music system or televisions.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by tebill(m): 10:28am On Nov 26, 2012
He that works in the vineyard, must feed from it

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by ektbear: 10:29am On Nov 26, 2012
Full disclosure though: I'm a bit biased since my uncle makes his money in part by playing at a church.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Daluuzor(m): 10:30am On Nov 26, 2012

hmmm, dats really so badt comin frm u, like wat sombody rightly pointed out, wat if dey r professionals doin deir own business, so dey shuld not b paid ba? Those who rent chairs and canopies shuld not b paid too abi? Are d pastors not paid? God is not man, God is God!
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Ukeme453: 10:38am On Nov 26, 2012
Every thing in the world now are business. Pastors & others member of d church want to make money. It is because no job. To please God and Jesus Christ the owner of the church, We should not play any instrument in the church of God. Let they be peace. Eph. 5:19
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by rhymz(m): 10:39am On Nov 26, 2012
Youngzedd:

No wonder many of you christian riff-raffs are poor. You lot don't know when to be serious in your dealings; you don't know when the difference between business and spirituality. The time value of money is lost on you and the teaming majority of simple-minded christian goons giving needless moral sermons with no common sense and practicability.

So an instrumentalist will waste his time, money and energy to learn a skill only for him to render it to one religious collating centre in the name of doing it for God, BS!

If both the junior and senior pastors and plus the so-called general overseer are being paid for talking, why will anyone object to the payment of instrumentalists that render a tangible service that is more real than the repititive BS the Pastor talks about. Are they not both aiming at thesame God? Why should one be paid and the other person gets a 4cking sermon. Do you leave in the real world? Instrumentalist have bills to pay too incase your spiritual mumbo-jumbo does not cover that.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Freiburger(m): 10:40am On Nov 26, 2012
Ukeme453: Every thing in the world now are business. Pastors & others member of d church want to make money. It is because no job. To please God and Jesus Christ the owner of the church, We should not play any instrument in the church of God. Let they be peace. Eph. 5:19
Hope the pastors also have Eph. 5:19 at their heart when thay pay huge sums to TV stations.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by stagger: 10:46am On Nov 26, 2012
As a student, I did not take a salary from my main church, but in the fellowship I used to play for in the evenings, I took an allowance.

I personally feel students should be paid to augment their income. However, church workers who have other employment should not. It is part of your service to God.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by djeezy(m): 10:51am On Nov 26, 2012
If he/she's livelihood and survival depends on the money, why not pay the instrumentalists. Like some kind of reward. It's apt we do what is equitable and just. Afterall pastors who serve God get paid. Why? Because they have to survive and meet ends meet. Same principle should be applicable in this circumstances...
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 26, 2012
corruptst: Hi Nairalanders,
This topic is borne out of the burden I felt over the issue of what is normal and what is right. Most times, the frequency at which we do some things may actually impair our judgement of normality and rightness. I am not really the "brother" type but more of a moralist who cannot but be amused by the level in which churches are being run especially in this part of the world.

A very close pal visited me today and continuously ranted about how the church where he plays bass guitar "bleeped up" by not paying his October salary. I wasn't really surprised since this wouldn't really have been the first time of hearing of such payments. I had to question him on the necessity for such since he did it for GOD and that resulted in a long argument with him giving untold reasons.

My question is, Is it right for these churches to needlessly subject themselves to untold hardship trying to run the church and at the same time trying to pay salaries to the so called instrumentalists?

Your opinions will be appreciated.

If they pay their pastors why not the instrumentalist? Same yard stick should be used for everyone it is as simple as that.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by femibaggio(m): 11:12am On Nov 26, 2012
From my own point of view. I don't take it as a good idea to pay an instrumentalists in church. Is the service rendered to the church or to appreciate God. Churches should look for another way to compensate or appreciate them (instrumentalists). Able God is involved.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by richiex(m): 11:13am On Nov 26, 2012
I wouldn't call it salary as such but rather, i'd call it incentives, just something to encourage the instrumentalists. Although i have never been paid, i know people who are paid £250 every sunday for jamming... To each his own IMHO.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Benefits Of Attending Church / The Difference Between Christianity And Other Religions - Pastor Sunday Adelaja / Bishop Oyedepo Speaks On Restoration Of CRK, condemns breaking Nigeria idea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.