Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,534 members, 7,819,915 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? (19219 Views)

Is It Right For A Christian Wife To Say Things Like These During Sex? / Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? / Lagos Orders Churches To Remove Loud Speakers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by tonididdy(m): 12:02pm On Nov 27, 2012
i think theydo this eeverywhere...cos i had a frieend back thhen at aau.he was the best druummer in eeekpoma.hhe playyed for winneers then and theyy payed him.his plans was to travel to SA for samee reasons and actuallly he did right before my eyes.he dropped out of school to sa to play instrumeents...but personally.lets all be sincere.it is wrong to eexpect salaries from church...
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Nov 27, 2012
tpapi: bros no b every church fit afford jet,some churches r stil paying rent for their accomodation

Why stress yourself in a 'church that pays rent' ...where your pastor knows your payday,..as he is dependent on your tithe , when you could followship in a 'church, that owns private jets' ??
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by rhymz(m): 1:57pm On Nov 28, 2012
lyricalpreacher:
I don't think it is proper to pay instrumentalist or even pastors or anybody that renders services in church except on full time basis. I ws born in the apostolic church and we were taught how to play any instrument from age 10. In my set, we were abt 15 nd d church paid for our trainins. For every child dat grew up nd got baptized in our chapel, learnin @ least 1 instrument ws a must. So we had reservoir of instrumentalist for evry instrument. One person cld play on tue nd anoda on thur nd anoda on sunday dependin on who comes first to service. @ a point we had a time table for it. Of course nt evribodi perfected their trainin to a professional level but d seeds were bein planted. 10yrs later, some stopped playin nd only a few turned professional bekoz we dedicated more time to it. Currently, I'm worshipin with rccg nd ve been der for 4yrs nd I dnt collect a dime bkoz I knew hw I started. Freely I received nd freely I must give. A lot of d instrumentalist dat the apostolic church trained, are nw playin in oda churches so u cld say de lost their players buh de kip on producin more. Anytym I meet my oda professionals whom I grew up with bk then in apostolic, we r alwys grateful. Of course de dint lose all coz some r still with dem. De train their pastors, singers nd instrumentalists nd workers in d vineyard. I tink personally for me dat if diz new genaration churches by chance happen to reap frm d investments doz orthodox churches made in their teenagers it nt rilly bad buh de must learn to grow beyond dat nd ve a plan in place to build their own. If de invest in trainin 10 young talents in various instruments, wit tym de wld be able to play well though nt professionally nd if de chose to leave d church de shldnt count it as a lose coz another denomination wld gain frm it. Bottom line dnt pay any instrumentalist professional or nt. If u cnt use d amateur in ur midst then search urslf, coz somthng is wrong wit ur salvation.
my dear you are talking bullshyte! Unless you have another job you do and are not commited to what you do, you can tell any professional Instrumentalist to play for you for free, not when he has bills to pay and a family to cater for. You wan compare the use of music in a church like RCCG to apostolic church that use a local setting and mediocre use of music instrumentality.
Go and tell the likes of Buchi and Sammy Okposu to play for you free because it was given to you free, how old are you by the way cos you seem like a youngstar still comfortable with the foodstamps from parents. When you venture to be a man try doing it for free and lets see your level of commitment.
Again, Pastors and even the so-called G,Os get have salary schemes with full benefits and allowances, some have access to loans and mortgages yet they do nothing more than a professional instrumentalist who has to be in every of the service, compose his music and spend most of his time both in the church and outside the church doing music for the church. And you dare open your ignorant mouth to say he does not deserve a well defined scheme of payments, allowances and compensation. You wan begin apply principle you wont apply to the pastors that get overpaid? Are you for real? What an irresponsible suggestion. Grow up kid!
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Image123(m): 5:35pm On Nov 28, 2012
Like i said previously, this stuff is a two way thing. There are differences of administration and different instances. It is wrong for one group to force its myopic thinking on the other in this case. It is possible to pay instrumentalists in some administrations if there is the need. It is also possible not to pay instrumentalists in some other administration if there is no need. i see that in this thread, the 'pay instrumentalists' team are trying to force their views on everyone. Na church get fault, no bi you. In the proper sense, there is no need for you. It is because the today's church has placed a high value on entertainment that you are having mouth. You for don die of hunger if you be first century christian looking for church to pay you for playing instruments. Thank God, me sef sabi play instrument, so i "qualify" to talk according to many of you. i learnt and am still learning on mine own too. i happen to like music. If you are an instrumentalist by profession, well my advice is that you find a job instead of looking for church that will pay you to play. Little wonder, church music is so powerless these days, with all this agberos playing instruments for money. Many of them are just in church for music. They'd gladly walk out of that church if they were suspended from playing or if another organisation calls them with higher salary. Church business na truly good business. Bunch of unspiritual people dem.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by solomon111(m): 7:24pm On Nov 28, 2012
It depends on the church system.
If the church spend money in grooming instrumentalists from childhood,then they shouldn't be paid.
I learnt how to play the guitar,piano and violin at MFM at a young age,so i don't expect them to pay me.
I see it as an investment made in my life by the church,and it will be improper to receive monetary reward from the church.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by kevoh(m): 7:37pm On Nov 28, 2012
Image123: Like i said previously, this stuff is a two way thing. There are differences of administration and different instances. It is wrong for one group to force its myopic thinking on the other in this case. It is possible to pay instrumentalists in some administrations if there is the need. It is also possible not to pay instrumentalists in some other administration if there is no need. i see that in this thread, the 'pay instrumentalists' team are trying to force their views on everyone. Na church get fault, no bi you. In the proper sense, there is no need for you. It is because the today's church has placed a high value on entertainment that you are having mouth. You for don die of hunger if you be first century christian looking for church to pay you for playing instruments. Thank God, me sef sabi play instrument, so i "qualify" to talk according to many of you. i learnt and am still learning on mine own too. i happen to like music. If you are an instrumentalist by profession, well my advice is that you find a job instead of looking for church that will pay you to play. Little wonder, church music is so powerless these days, with all this agberos playing instruments for money. Many of them are just in church for music. They'd gladly walk out of that church if they were suspended from playing or if another organisation calls them with higher salary. Church business na truly good business. Bunch of unspiritual people dem.
God bless you!
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by STENACO: 3:19pm On Dec 01, 2012
Image123: Like i said previously, this stuff is a two way thing. There are differences of administration and different instances. It is wrong for one group to force its myopic thinking on the other in this case. It is possible to pay instrumentalists in some administrations if there is the need. It is also possible not to pay instrumentalists in some other administration if there is no need. i see that in this thread, the 'pay instrumentalists' team are trying to force their views on everyone. Na church get fault, no bi you. In the proper sense, there is no need for you. It is because the today's church has placed a high value on entertainment that you are having mouth. You for don die of hunger if you be first century christian looking for church to pay you for playing instruments. Thank God, me sef sabi play instrument, so i "qualify" to talk according to many of you. i learnt and am still learning on mine own too. i happen to like music. If you are an instrumentalist by profession, well my advice is that you find a job instead of looking for church that will pay you to play. Little wonder, church music is so powerless these days, with all this agberos playing instruments for money. Many of them are just in church for music. They'd gladly walk out of that church if they were suspended from playing or if another organisation calls them with higher salary. Church business na truly good business. Bunch of unspiritual people dem.

It depends on the kind of instrument you handle. As a woden gong instrumentalist I don't think you can make it by church paying you. Busy body
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by alstacs(m): 8:13am On Dec 12, 2012
alextayo: Everybody may have idea about music, but it takes extensive study and training to bring out the best in you and these studies/training does not come free. How do you expect me to play for a church for free when it cost me many thousands of NAIRA to even get MUSON Grade 6 certificate. If intrumentalist are to play for free in churches, then the church should be ready to bear the financial cost of their training. Instrumentalist spend money to purchase their instruments, the church collects money through offering, tithe and other means, pockets the money and all you get to hear from the Pastor is God Bless you.

My Brothers it doesnt work that way.... go to Orpheus bookshop at Awolowo Road, Ikoyi or Ilupeju, The Saints Music Store and Emycil both at Ojuelegba and ask how much a music manuscript cost... Music is a profession and i dont think any professional works for free.

If you are the type that supports instrumentalist playing for free in churches, its not too late for you to go to a music school, use your salary to buy books, instrument and pay for tuition, then after your graduation.. go to churches and play for "MAY GOD REWARD YOUR EFFORT" words from the Pastor.
Apart from just the cost of training, most of these 'guys' are professionals and playing music is their job. It is therefore necessary to know that they are not members of the church but employees of the church.
This fact is well understood in the Anglican, Catholic, Baptists churches because they struggle to get organists and other instrumentalists to employ. It is however difficult for the penticostal mind to understand since everyone "works for God" but the pastor or "daddy" who gets paid for his work for God.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Nobody: 10:23am On Jan 03, 2014
How do you expect me to play for a church for free when it cost me many thousands of NAIRA to even get MUSON Grade 6 certificate.
Thank u my bro, many of this pple that say musicians should not be paid- check out their church; they can't even buy a sensible keyboard. The truth is a bulk of nigerian Christians don't knw the meaning of good music let alone decipher wch is bad. You go to a church, all u see is a colossal, marbled structure, no sound engineer nor good sets of musicians who know the workings of instruments. All xtians know is to come to church and make noise, pray and go home, they don't even know is microphones are giving a feedback high pitched sound to to high frequency. To get my little MUSON cert, I know aw much it cost me, so someone wants me to play for free Sorry........... My Pastor knows our(musicians) worth. My advice is for churches to leave sensiments and run church music the way it shd be run. Music is d heart of any service; wether good or bad, d result will be seen in a short while.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by TheGoz(m): 8:25pm On Aug 23, 2015
Why can't you pay instrumentalists, or give them allowances... why do they give honorarium to the guest gospel singers invited to churches...because of their gifts and the bills theyhave topay. Itssimple. This is why gospel music is the way it is till recent time thatpeople started appreciating that even instrumentalists have needs.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by dayodare49o: 4:14pm On Aug 24, 2015
What kind question is this? If an instrumentalist plays what happens in the church? People dance! If pastor says offering time what does an instrumentalist do? He plays! When he plays the people dance forward to put money inside the offering drum they put on the alter.

Later, the pastor will say tithe the instrumentalist will still play for the people to dance forward to put their tithe inside the tithe drum.

Later, the pastor will still say special offering the instrumentalist will play the people will dance forward and money inside the offering drum.

Later, the pastor will say project offering the instrumentalist will play the people will dance forward and put offering inside the offering drum

Later, the pastor will say missionary offering the instrumentalist will play the people will dance forwad to put money in the offering drum.

Now a drummer boy came asking if it is right to collect money while playing for the church. If they give you money and you did not collect it may motor kill you

If they did not give you money and you did not ask may thunder strike your testicles, exept if the pastor too no dey spend from the money.

Idiot of highest order. IHO national honour
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Dany055(m): 4:31pm On Sep 05, 2016
;;;;am an instrumentalist too...and this is just a summary of everything about;; paying of instrumentalist;; a pastor cannot acquire inspiration if he doesn't develop himself spiritually.... all of us know how a pastor will develop him self buying the latest gadgets spiritual books attending seminars programs and all of that u know....now there is no how u expect an instrumentalist not to expect payment from what he rendered' mattering the way is been handled in the church...the reason y we had such kinda of thinking is because, if the church cannot do anything about ur upgrade on ur skills then they don't mean to be of help to u at all....to summaries this all,if a church cannot sponsor ur training and take care of our day to day life,can't get a job for u..... then u deserved to paid for u to that yourself.... kiss ;;;;am an instrumentalist too...and this is just a summary of everything about;; paying of instrumentalist;; a pastor cannot acquire inspiration if he doesn't develop himself spiritually.... all of us know how a pastor will develop him self buying the latest gadgets spiritual books attending seminars programs and all of that u know....now there is no how u expect an instrumentalist not to expect payment from what he rendered' mattering the way is been handled in the church...the reason y we had such kinda of thinking is because, if the church cannot do anything about ur upgrade on ur skills then they don't mean to be of help to u at all....to summaries this all,if a church cannot sponsor ur training and take care of our day to day life,can't get a job for u..... then u deserved to paid for u to that yourself....
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by frubben(m): 5:02pm On Sep 05, 2016
WAP:
My candid view is that the service to God in His Vineyard should be free of charge. The present decadence we experienced in the church today is as a result of the fact that the truth of the word of God has been replaced with human policies and world administration system. The church now copied the world system of administration to rule the church; we now have Personal Assistant, Board of Trustee/Directors, Organogram to show level of seniority, minutes of meetings, elections for General Overseers etc. We cannot rule the church like the world,we are in the world but not of the world. People now see church as a place to cut their own national cake. An instumentalist, who may be a womaniser or a liar can easily come into the church to play and makes his money without any serious repentance. Pastors now fight seriously for positions and recognitions. Everyboy wants to be the ruler and GOs. This is not the church that Jesus is planning to meet; He is coming for a church without spots or wrinkles. I know that he will surely purge this present church before His arrival.

Answer question may dem ask u, may u no dey preach again.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Genesis2000(m): 5:34pm On Sep 05, 2016
shadrach77:
i remembered this topic appearing on the front page sometimes this year. I used to be a bit naive in thinking instrumentalists should not be paid since they are working for God. I now know better. The truth is THEY SHOULD BE PAID. We have two types of instrumentalists, proffesional and non proffesional. I am an instrumentalist in my church but i am not a proffesional so i don't expect to be paid. But if someone is a proffesional instrumentalist, that's where they are getting their daily bread so they should be paid. Moreso, we need to ask ourselves a question, is the pastor not getting paid? He is for doing God's work, so if the pastor is getting paid for working for God, why then should other church workers do it for free?

Infact you hit the nail on the head.

A very good reply. Honestly if there is a botton for hundred likes i will press it.

Do you know that the instrumentalist are also ministers?

The choresters/musicians are all ministers not the pastors alone.

So what is good for the goose is also good for the gander.

Modified. Any church that collect or pay tithe should also pay anything payable.

They are on their own, and i called it church business.

And that is my answer to the op.

That you.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Genesis2000(m): 5:50pm On Sep 05, 2016
I have been awaiting this thread for like ever.... This thing is very popular in the common man RCCG churches across Nigeria and I wonder why they should be paid for playing guitar, piano, talking drum and sorts of.

To me it is senseless paying them... It is not by force to play instruments and even I can blame the church themselves... If they act like the likes of MFM, Apostolic Faith, Deeper Life Ministries and co that use their money to develop the young ones on how to be instrumentalists. Even if they will run away, believe you have done it for God developing someone's life and hand them over to God. Jesus continued doing the miracles even though only one of the ten came to say "Thanks Lord".

Instead of paying them, they should hold three months salary, buy three of that type of instruments and send three promising guys/ladies in the church for training and they will surely get the best out of it.

Many pastors will have issues when they get to heaven and the instrumentalists are not left behind because God will simply say you have taken your part when you were working in the church so nothing to weigh your work with... What a Shame!

How I wish the pastors are reading this cry cry cry

Hmm, pls sir i will like you to answer this questions.

Can you tell me the difference between a pastor and a church musician or instrumentalist?

2. Do they pay pastors? If your answer is yes pls tell me why?

3. Does churches have something like a full time pastors and those working part time? And if yes why?

4. Do we also have some churches that have full time choresters/musitians or instrumentaists and those working as part time if yes, pls explain why?

Thank you.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Genesis2000(m): 5:56pm On Sep 05, 2016
wonderz:

It's not crazy to pay them if that's their means of livelihood. You won't muzzle the ox that tread the corn..

Don't mind them, you should ask them why do they also pay their pastors? are they not equally working for God
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Md4great(m): 4:47pm On Oct 07, 2020
Ganys:
Mtchew...Show me where Jesus Play Piano in the Bible First undecided
Where did u see Pianist beside Jesus
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Kobojunkie: 4:59pm On Oct 07, 2020
corruptst:
Hi Nairalanders,
This topic is borne out of the burden I felt over the issue of what is normal and what is right. Most times, the frequency at which we do some things may actually impair our judgement of normality and rightness. I am not really the "brother" type but more of a moralist who cannot but be amused by the level in which churches are being run especially in this part of the world.

A very close pal visited me today and continuously ranted about how the church where he plays bass guitar "bleeped up" by not paying his October salary. I wasn't really surprised since this wouldn't really have been the first time of hearing of such payments. I had to question him on the necessity for such since he did it for GOD and that resulted in a long argument with him giving untold reasons.

My question is, Is it right for these churches to needlessly subject themselves to untold hardship trying to run the church and at the same time trying to pay salaries to the so called instrumentalists?

Your opinions will be appreciated.
Your churches are businesses like every other business you know of, built to make money for the pockets of those who own them. A worker of any sort in such an organization needs to be sure that he/she is getting appropriate compensation for his/her time in such an organization.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Kobojunkie: 4:59pm On Oct 07, 2020
Genesis2000:
Don't mind them, you should ask them why do they also pay their pastors? are they not equally working for God
Excellent question!
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by BewareOf419: 6:23pm On Oct 07, 2020
corruptst:
Hi Nairalanders,
This topic is borne out of the burden I felt over the issue of what is normal and what is right. Most times, the frequency at which we do some things may actually impair our judgement of normality and rightness. I am not really the "brother" type but more of a moralist who cannot but be amused by the level in which churches are being run especially in this part of the world.

A very close pal visited me today and continuously ranted about how the church where he plays bass guitar "bleeped up" by not paying his October salary. I wasn't really surprised since this wouldn't really have been the first time of hearing of such payments. I had to question him on the necessity for such since he did it for GOD and that resulted in a long argument with him giving untold reasons.

My question is, Is it right for these churches to needlessly subject themselves to untold hardship trying to run the church and at the same time trying to pay salaries to the so called instrumentalists?

Your opinions will be appreciated.

Assuming you were sent to studied Music in school and eventually become an ORGANIST in one of your church and Playing an Organ is the only livelihood for you, won't you collect salary from the church?

Proverbs 18:16

A man’s gift makes room for him, And brings him before great men.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:04pm On Oct 07, 2020
According to God's word, both instrumentalists and vocalists are also workers who deserve to be paid! Nehemiah 13:10

But the arrangement is unnecessary in Christianity, it was part of the old covenant that has become obsolete.

Jesus and his followers sang praises to God without using professional instrumentalists and singers {Matthew 26:30} In Christianity everyone is doing whatever freely nobody expects any wage. {Matthew 10:8} So each person whose earth moves him should come and use whatever he could offer for the praise.

The Churches of Christendom are business orientated so to catch the attention of their customers they must bring in all those things and entertainment attracts people, hence singers, instrumentalists, comedians, actors and actresses all come on their pay roll! smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Difference Between Christianity And Other Religions - Pastor Sunday Adelaja / The Basic Reason Why Nigeria Marriages Fail - Pastor Sunday Adelaja / Five Nigerians Emerge As Richest Pastors In Africa - Forbes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.