Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,924 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. (1307 Views)

Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? / Nigeria@54,are We Moving Forward Or Backward / October 1st, Nigeria's Independent Day,are We Moving Forward Or Backward? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by olenyi: 3:19pm On Nov 26, 2012
Are we going forward or backwards.

I believe this is the right section to bring this up. Sorry if am wrong.

I've come to observe a certain pattern to the various developmental plans and massive constructions being carried out by our governors, or at least, the south east states. For example, an urban road contract is awarded to company A. During the construction, company A goes ahead to bulldoze everything in their part, cutting many fiber optic lines laid by the telcos and disrupting their services. Say in 6 months time when company A is almost at the concluding part of the project, a new water rehabilitation contract is awarded to company B. Now, company B will go ahead to break up all the roads already completed with the excuse of laying new water pipes. At the end of the day, the roads are left all torn up, returning them back to their bad state. After some months, another contract is yet again awarded company C for the provision of street lighting. C also goes ahead to tear up the remaining good part of the road. And the circle continues. Phew....
Now my question is
(1) is this how its done in other climes.
(2) shouldn't their be a better step by step/ planned phase by phase way of doing these things.
Because i find it really hard to understand how we could be going forward if we continue like this. Over to you.
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by geez1: 4:12pm On Nov 26, 2012
It's called something for the boys

Doesn't happen in the SW where I live
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by olenyi: 7:20pm On Nov 26, 2012
geez*:
It's called something for the boys

Doesn't happen in the SW where I live

I believe its every where but maybe its more pronounced in some states than others.
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by olenyi: 7:38am On Nov 27, 2012
Hello guys, still waiting for more opinnion on this.
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by dirifred(m): 2:03pm On Nov 27, 2012
This your observation is very key to sustainable development.
1 The sincerity of the Executive(Federal or State) is what matters. most of those project are abandoned projects. they award fresh project as a cover-up for not completing the former project.
2 Continuity : every Executive want to make a mark, but only by abandoning what he me on ground or destroying them for fresh ideas. this can be taken care of if the legislative arm know their job. i mean what will it cost to develop a twenty year development plan for any state or country? even if developed will it be followed?
3 Over politicization of project: the need of the people does not matter, what will be more beneficial to their political needs at the moment is their priority.
sorry if the lines are disjointed,i wrote in a hurry, no time to edit. but that's about the picture in my mind
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by 7lives: 2:37pm On Nov 27, 2012
It is called squandering of riches, this is how Nigeria arrived at the present predicament.
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by Dede1(m): 2:40pm On Nov 27, 2012
Nigeria is definitely on a backward slide. It is also called socio-political behavior marred by inherent stupidity. The description in the OP is a mark of inherent foolishness registered among Africans which deletes the essence of CPM in their everyday circle of thought. In addition, it is an extroversive display to excite moronic cross section of people by dunces who were spurred by errs of personality.

When new Owerri capital territory came to public notice, I inquired about the subsystems of wastewater collection and drinking water supply plans. The subsystem plans would have required the main pipes for these basic systems should be laid out in conjunction with the network of roads. The main pipes that will carry wastewater and drinking water had to run beneath the roads. Today, the new Owerri territory is recklessly besieged by individual boreholes and sewage wells.
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by NegroNtns(m): 5:24pm On Nov 27, 2012
@op,

......we are stuck in the middle!

It is good for thd society to produce at above 100%. Theoretically, efficiency of above 100% is also possible, however, when you factor in human experience....loosely called "work ethics"....then efficiency level of between 80% and 95% are desirable. The problem is the closer you get to this desirable range then the less hands you need to turn out results, which means more people have nothing to do and are sitting idle on payroll. So you fire them! That increases unemplymrnt and impacts family and households. It is therefore not a bad policy to keep people building up and tearing things down....the rework and cost is an undesirable redundancy but it helps family and household.
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by ektbear: 5:38pm On Nov 27, 2012
6 steps forward, half a dozen steps backwards
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by NegroNtns(m): 5:40pm On Nov 27, 2012
ekt_bear: 6 steps forward, half a dozen steps backwards

Lol....thats the yardstick of development and progress in 3rd world.
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by olenyi: 5:30pm On Nov 28, 2012
Negro_Ntns: @op,

It is good for thd society to produce at above 100%. Theoretically, efficiency of above 100% is also possible, however, when you factor in human experience....loosely called "work ethics"....then efficiency level of between 80% and 95% are desirable. The problem is the closer you get to this desirable range then the less hands you need to turn out results, which means more people have nothing to do and are sitting idle on payroll. So you fire them! That increases unemplymrnt and impacts family and households. It is therefore not a bad policy to keep people building up and tearing things down....the rework and cost is an undesirable redundancy but it helps family and household.

So u are suggesting that in order to put food on the table of the populace, government should therefore continue on this part of wasteful adventures all? Hmmm... My question then is, was this how America, which almost everyone is rushing to was built? #Just asking.
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by olenyi: 5:33pm On Nov 28, 2012
Dede1: Nigeria is definitely on a backward slide. It is also called socio-political behavior marred by inherent stupidity. The description in the OP is a mark of inherent foolishness registered among Africans which deletes the essence of CPM in their everyday circle of thought. In addition, it is an extroversive display to excite moronic cross section of people by dunces who were spurred by errs of personality.

When new Owerri capital territory came to public notice, I inquired about the subsystems of wastewater collection and drinking water supply plans. The subsystem plans would have required the main pipes for these basic systems should be laid out in conjunction with the network of roads. The main pipes that will carry wastewater and drinking water had to run beneath the roads. Today, the new Owerri territory is recklessly besieged by individual boreholes and sewage wells.

Hmmm... Just pathetic.
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by olenyi: 5:40pm On Nov 28, 2012
dirifred: This your observation is very key to sustainable development.
1 The sincerity of the Executive(Federal or State) is what matters. most of those project are abandoned projects. they award fresh project as a cover-up for not completing the former project.
2 Continuity : every Executive want to make a mark, but only by abandoning what he me on ground or destroying them for fresh ideas. this can be taken care of if the legislative arm know their job. i mean what will it cost to develop a twenty year development plan for any state or country? even if developed will it be followed?
3 Over politicization of project: the need of the people does not matter, what will be more beneficial to their political needs at the moment is their priority.
sorry if the lines are disjointed,i wrote in a hurry, no time to edit. but that's about the picture in my mind

Quite incisive
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by NegroNtns(m): 6:00pm On Nov 28, 2012
olenyi:

So u are suggesting that in order to put food on the table of the populace, government should therefore continue on this part of wasteful adventures all? Hmmm... My question then is, was this how America, which almost everyone is rushing to was built? #Just asking.

.....We dont need to use America as a model or reference point of social developments on our land. I advocate for policies that has a direct or indirect positive outcome for the populace.
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by olenyi: 10:37pm On Nov 28, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

.....We dont need to use America as a model or reference point of social developments on our land. I advocate for policies that has a direct or indirect positive outcome for the populace.

I'm yet to see the ''direct or indirect positive outcome'' for the populace. I am of the opinion dat if the resources being squandered in this way is put to good use, and the enabling environment provided, with the guarantee of continuity of government policies and developmental plans, the masses wouldn't need to depend on the government, as Nigerians are known to be industrious and creative. All manner of SME's will spring up to help oil the wheels of development of this great nation. Regards.
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by NegroNtns(m): 3:01am On Nov 29, 2012
Did you not understand what i wrote in my first response?

Yes, the rework and double award of contracts is wasteful but if you plug the inefficiency attributable to rework then you end up needing less people and manpower for the job and hence impact their livelihood and their household.

Go and readup on QM and the theories of Six Sigma and DMAIC..
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by Kobojunkie: 3:54am On Nov 29, 2012
Negro_Ntns: @op,

Abeg sharrap!!! ROLFMAO!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

Which kind ADD response be that one??
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by NegroNtns(m): 4:11am On Nov 29, 2012
Welcome back dear... wink
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by onitshaigbo(m): 4:21am On Nov 29, 2012
Lagos and Igbo Southeast is moving forwards. But the rest of Nigeria is going backwards. God save Nigeria.
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by olenyi: 9:34am On Nov 29, 2012
smiley
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by olenyi: 3:22pm On Nov 29, 2012
7lives: It is called squandering of riches, this is how Nigeria arrived at the present predicament.
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by anulaxad(m): 7:54pm On Nov 29, 2012
we are moving backwards extremely fast from economic boom in 1970s to corruption and a killing population. embarassed
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by geez1: 8:20pm On Nov 29, 2012
onitshaigbo: Lagos and Igbo Southeast is moving forwards. But the rest of Nigeria is going backwards. God save Nigeria.

Check out the stats for yourself and discover that only the SW is developing while the other regions are either stagnant or moving backwards

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/information

Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by olenyi: 9:12pm On Nov 30, 2012
anulaxad: we are moving backwards extremely fast from economic boom in 1970s to corruption and a killing population. embarassed

cry embarassed cry
Re: Are We Moving Forward Or Backwards. by olenyi: 7:52am On Jul 08, 2013
wink

(1) (Reply)

G / Dana: Minister In Tears, Says No Compensation For Her Family Yet / 419: Felix Modebe Is A Fraudster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.