Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,202 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) - Religion (605) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) (835745 Views)

The Satanic Chatbox. Everybody Is Welcome / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Christian's Chatbox Game/Party Night - May 4th@ 10pm Gmt -ALL CHRISTIANS INVITED (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (602) (603) (604) (605) (606) (607) (608) ... (787) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 12:54pm On Jan 11, 2017
Culled from Holy Bible App

Genesis 4:17-6:22

3. Walk in relationship with God

Human beings are the pinnacle of God’s creation. God created us to walk in relationship with him. ‘When God created the human race, he made it godlike, with a nature akin to God. He created both male and female and blessed them, the whole human race’ (5:1–2, MSG).

However, sadly the human race went astray: ‘Human evil was out of control. People thought evil, imagined evil – evil, evil, evil from morning to night… it broke [God’s] heart’ (6:5–6, MSG).

Evil starts in our thinking and imagination – that is, in our hearts. It is a case of ‘garbage in, garbage out’. We need to watch not just our actions but also our thoughts, attitudes, motives and imagination.

In the midst of corruption and evil, it is possible to be different and to make a difference. Enoch and Noah are two examples of those who did not go along with the crowd but ‘walked with God’.

It appears that ‘after the birth of Methuselah’ (5:22), Enoch walked faithfully with God for the rest of his life. There is something so powerful, amazing and almost miraculous about seeing the birth of our own children. One of my very close friends became a Christian through experiencing the birth of his first child.

‘Enoch walked steadily with God. And then one day he was simply gone: God took him’ (v.24, MSG).

Noah also walked with God. He found ‘grace (favor) in the eyes of the Lord’ (v.8, AMP). In spite of all the evil going on around him, ‘Noah was a good man, a man of integrity in his community. Noah walked with God’ (6:9, MSG). Noah believed God and built a boat, even though it was not raining and there was no water in sight. Noah did exactly what God told him to do (v.22).

Prayer:

"Lord, help me to be righteous and blameless in my thoughts, words and deeds, walking with you in a close relationship. Help me to do everything you tell me to do."
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 4:32am On Jan 12, 2017

Battles and Blessings

I have never forgotten a talk I heard over thirty years ago. The speaker started by saying that the Christian life is ‘battle and blessing, battle and blessing, battle and blessing, battle and blessing, battle and blessing... battle and blessing…’

At the time I thought, ‘Why is he going on like this? Will it never end?’ But he was making a memorable and profound point. When we are in the battle it is hard to believe that it will ever come to an end. When we are in a period of blessing we sometimes expect it will go on forever. But life is not like that. There are battles and blessings.

Rick Warren says that he used to think that the Christian life was a succession of battles and blessings, whereas now he thinks of life as being on two tracks. At any given moment in life there are usually blessings, but also battles to face.

He gives the example of the huge blessing that came to him through the publication of The Purpose Driven Life, which became the fastest-selling Christian book of all time. It gave him enormous influence. But at the same time he found out that his wife, Kay, had cancer. On one track of his life there was great blessing; on the other track there was a massive battle to face.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Felicity101: 4:31pm On Jan 12, 2017
Hmmn
pastormustwacc:
Anyway, nice thread, lets keep it going.
@christian people, i am trying to get over depression, lost 6 patients over the weekend in medical emmergency. 5 of which are questionable. I am now wondering that, is it that i am not praying enough or?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 5:39am On Jan 13, 2017

Proverbs 1:1-7

1. Learn to steer through battles and blessings

The purpose of the book of Proverbs is stated right from the start: ‘These are the wise sayings… Written down so we’ll know how to live well and right… A manual for living, for learning what’s right and just and fair’ (vv.1–3, MSG). It provides practical wisdom for everyone – both the ‘inexperienced’ and the ‘experienced’ (vv.4–6, MSG).

These Proverbs tell you how life usually works. Proverbs are pragmatic and wise advice learnt from a lifetime of experience.

They help you attain ‘wisdom and discipline’ (vv.2,7) – two vital aspects of life, which do not happen overnight.

The purpose of the book is to enable you ‘to steer your course rightly’ (v.5, AMP). Wisdom is the ‘art of steering’ through the battles and blessings of life, and living skilfully in whatever conditions you find yourself. ‘Wisdom’, as Joyce Meyer says, ‘is choosing to do now what you will be happy with later on’.

Wisdom starts with the ‘fear of the Lord’, which ‘is the beginning of knowledge’ (v.7a). The ‘fear’ of the Lord can be translated ‘reverence’. It means to respect and honour the Lord as God. The most important lesson you can learn about life is to ‘start with God’ (v.7a, MSG).

Prayer:

"Lord, help me to learn the art of steering through the battles and blessings that lie ahead."
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Godsbillionaire(m): 9:15pm On Jan 13, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 12:42pm On Jan 14, 2017

Matthew 4:1-22

2. Learn how Jesus dealt with battles and blessings

Jesus’ ministry begins with the blessing of the Holy Spirit at his baptism but, as so often happens after great experiences of the Holy Spirit, battles immediately follow.

‘Next Jesus was taken into the wild by the Spirit for the Test’ (4:1, MSG). The temptations start with the words, ‘If you are the Son of God…’ (vv.3,6). The devil is tempting Jesus to presume on his identity, and thus to test his Father. Sometimes the devil comes to us and says, ‘If you are a Christian, then you are better than others.’ Or, ‘If God forgives everything, it doesn’t matter how you live.’ Respond by following Jesus’ example.

Jesus faced three powerful temptations:

Instant gratification (economic)
There are some things that provide instant gratification but leave you feeling hollow afterwards.

Jesus had prepared by fasting for forty days and forty nights. ‘That left him, of course, in a state of extreme hunger, which the devil took advantage of in the first test’ (vv.2b–3a, MSG). He says to Jesus, ‘If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread’ (v.3b).

Jesus answers, ‘It is written: “People do not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God”’ (v.4). Although ‘bread’ is necessary it is not enough on its own. Material things can never fully satisfy.

There is a deeper spiritual hunger that can only be satisfied by ‘every word that comes from the mouth of God’ (v.4). We need regular spiritual food even more than regular physical food.
Attention seeking (religious)
Next, the devil puts before Jesus the challenge to throw himself off the highest point of the temple. Among other things, this is a temptation to do something dramatic (though not productive) to attract attention.

The devil goaded Jesus by quoting Psalm 91, but it is a verse taken out of context. Jesus countered with a verse that is in context: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test’ (v.7).
Wrong means (political)
Third, the devil shows Jesus all the kingdoms of the world and offers them, ‘if you will bow down and worship me’ (Matthew 4:8–9). This is the temptation to be dissatisfied with God himself and to embark on a programme of unscrupulous manipulation to achieve his ends by the wrong means. Jesus responds: ‘Away from me, Satan!’ He backed his rebuke with a third quotation from Deuteronomy: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only’ (v.10).

To each temptation Jesus responds with a verse from Deuteronomy Chapters 6–8. Perhaps he had been studying these chapters at that time. As you study the Bible it reveals God’s character and loving care for you, and deepens your relationship with him. This protects you against the devil’s lies, and helps and equips you to resist temptation when it comes.

At the end of these battles, Jesus enjoyed the blessing of angels who ‘came and took care of Jesus’ needs’ (v.11, MSG). The period of blessing did not last long. Jesus heard that John had been put in prison (v.12). It must have been devastating for Jesus to find out that his cousin had been imprisoned for his preaching.

Jesus was not daunted. He began to preach the very message that had caused John’s arrest: ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near’ (v.17). He was fearless and courageous in the face of the battles.

Life is not just a matter of defensively seeing off the attacks; there are also positive advances to make. Jesus was on a mission. He began to build his team for that mission calling his first disciples: ‘Jesus said to them, “Come with me. I’ll make a new kind of fisherman out of you. I’ll show you how to catch men and women...” They... dropped their nets and followed’ (vv.19–20, MSG). These were exciting times. The beginning of the ministry of Jesus was a period of great blessing.

Prayer:

"Lord, help me to follow the example of Jesus in battle and blessing. May I learn your word so I can respond to temptation and be courageous in proclaiming the message of Jesus."
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by kechup1(f): 7:46pm On Jan 14, 2017
SUBMIT TO HIS WILL.
Rhapsody of Realities
Saturday 14th January
Pastor Chris Oyakhilome
"And he was withdrawn from them about a stone’s cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done" Luke 22:41-42
In the opening scripture, we observe how the Lord Jesus agonized earnestly in prayer to the Father. The forty-fourth verse of Luke chapter twenty-two actually says, “And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.” It was a moment of decision for Jesus. In His prayer, He said, “...Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me....”
He was referring to His imminent spiritual death, and the fact that, by that death, the Father would turn His back on Him, because the sins of the world would be laid on Him. This was the cause of His indescribable anguish. He knew what was ahead at the cross, a separation from His Father. However, from the beginning, He had prophetically declared, “...Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God” (Hebrews 10:7).
He knew what the Father’s will was, and He came to fulfil it, as clearly spelt out in the Word. So, irrespective of the terrible experience, the painful separation from the Father, which He loathed, He submitted Himself to the Father’s will. He was the expression and fulfilment of the will of the Father. This is what your life must be about: the fulfilment of the will of the Father.
If you ever find yourself at the crossroads of life, choose the Father’s will. You might ask, “What if I don’t know His will concerning the issue?” That’s one of the reasons you have the Holy Spirit; ask Him, and He’ll reveal it to your spirit. In addition, as you study the Word and meditate, the will of God is unveiled to your spirit. God’s Word is His will expressed; His wisdom is in His Word. Therefore, when you act on the Word, you’re living out the will of God.

Don’t try to look for a “new” will of God; stay in the Word! In the moment of physical weakness and pain, hold on to the Word, and you’ll receive strength. The Bible says concerning Jesus in His moment of anguish: “And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him” (Luke 22:43). Who was that angel? The Holy Ghost! When you come to a crisis moment, pray earnestly, affirming the Word, and you’d receive strength to do the will of the Father.
PRAYER
Dear Father, thank you for strengthening me by your Spirit to do your will always. You’re the one working in me, both to will and to do your good pleasure. My life is a daily expression of your will, and I fulfil your purpose and destiny for me with glory and joy, in Jesus’ Name. Amen.

FURTHER STUDY:
Philippians 2:13 Romans 8:26-27 Romans 12:2

1 YEAR BIBLE READING PLAN:
Matthew 10:24-42 Genesis 34-35
2 YEAR BIBLE READING PLAN:
Matthew 6:1-13 Genesis 14

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 5:00am On Jan 15, 2017

3. Learn how others have coped with battles and blessings

Christians should be positive people. We see in this passage, as we do in the entire Bible, that the blessings outweigh the battles. Of the four great themes that run through this passage (and the entire Bible) only one is negative (the fall that leads to the battles). The other three are all about positive blessing.

Creation
Human beings are created in the image of God (9:6b). There is a nobility and dignity about all human life. Every human being is of immense value. That is why taking another person’s life has such serious consequences (vv.5,6). Treat every human being with respect and dignity.
Fall
Noah faced a major battle – the flood and the destruction of almost the entire human race! It rained for forty days and forty nights (7:4) (exactly the same period as the temptation of Jesus). God’s judgment came because of the seriousness of sin: ‘Every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood’ (8:21).
Redemption
Despite the battle of the flood, Noah enjoyed the blessing of God’s love, even though only Noah and those with him in the ark were left (7:23). Through the lens of the New Testament we see that the ark is a picture of being baptised into Christ (see 1 Peter 3:18 onwards). Those who were in the ark were safe. Those who are in Christ are safe.

God blessed Noah and his sons. He said ‘Prosper! Reproduce! Fill the earth!’ (Genesis 9:1, MSG).
Glorification
God made a covenant with them (v.9). Every time you see a rainbow (v.13) it is a reminder of God’s commitment to you, which led ultimately to the cross – the blood of the new covenant. It is an ‘everlasting covenant’ into eternity (v.16).

Prayer:

"Lord, thank you that ultimately your blessings far outweigh the battles. Help me to remember that my light and momentary battles are achieving for me an eternal glory that far outweighs them all (see 2 Corinthians 4:17)."
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by fizzi: 9:10pm On Jan 15, 2017
Hi all, just want to share a song a song I believe will bless you all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1EaPYl8W3E

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 5:14am On Jan 16, 2017
fizzi:
Hi all, just want to share a song a song I believe will bless you all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1EaPYl8W3E

Really Blessed!

He has Redeemed Me and Made My Life Brand New!

Thanks for sharing!
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 5:15am On Jan 16, 2017
Culled from Holy Bible App.

All Good Things

We all seek happiness. We are all searching for love. We are all desperate for peace. But so often, we look in the wrong places.

St Augustine prayed, 'Lord... you have made us for yourself and our hearts are restless until they find their rest in you.' God is the source of all good things.

Psalm 4:1-8

1. The source of joy and peace

So often we seek joy and peace in the wrong places: ‘How long will you love delusions and seek false gods?’ (v.2). We think that money, possessions or success will be the answer. But these are delusions and false gods. True joy and peace, as David tells us, are to be found in a relationship with God (v.3).

We are not promised a problem-free life – the psalm starts with a cry: ‘Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer’ (v.1b). David is confident that God will hear: ‘He listens the split second I call to him’ (v.3b, MSG).

God alone is the true source of joy and peace: ‘Let the light of your face shine upon us, O Lord. You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound. I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety’ (vv.6b–8 ).

There is greater joy in the presence of God than there is in material prosperity and luxury. Prosperity, despite the apparent security it brings, does not necessarily lead to peaceful sleep. Only in God’s will can we truly ‘dwell in safety’ (v.8 ).

Prayer:

"Lord, let the light of your face shine on me. Fill my heart with the joy of your presence and grant me peaceful sleep."
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by tolulope855(m): 4:31pm On Jan 16, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by giztzone(m): 2:57am On Jan 17, 2017
Inspire your morning with this great song
Titled: Nani GI Jesus by Eazykel
http://www.gospelholic.com/2017/01/download-nani-jesus-jesus-eazykel-lyrics.html
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 5:03am On Jan 17, 2017

Matthew 4:23-5:20

2. The source of God’s favour and true happiness

According to Jesus, true happiness does not come from all the things that society suggests. It does not come from celebrity, beauty, wealth and possessions. It is not about how you feel. It is not about what you have or even about what you do.

The Greek word used in 5:3–11, ‘makarios’, means ‘blessed’, ‘fortunate’, ‘happy’ – the privileged recipient of God’s favour. Or, as the Amplified version puts it, ‘happy, to be envied, and spiritually prosperous, that is, with life-joy and satisfaction… regardless of their outward conditions.’

In the Beatitudes (‘beautiful attitudes’!) Jesus highlights eight unexpected situations in which you receive God’s favour and blessings.

Be spiritually desperate for God
‘Blessed are the poor in spirit’ (v.3a). The word for ‘poor’ means ‘begging… dependent on others for support’. Here, it means being brought low or weakened to the point of realising the need to depend on Jesus: ‘You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope’ (v.3a, MSG). The poor in spirit are blessed because, through what Jesus has made possible, ‘theirs is the kingdom of heaven’ (v.3b).
Weep over your condition
‘Blessed are those who mourn’ (v.4a). Mourn your own sin and the mess in the world around you. Weep with those who weep. It is not wrong to weep and to mourn the loss of those you love. Jesus’ promise is that those who mourn ‘will be comforted’ (v.4b). God’s comfort goes way beyond any kind of ordinary comfort. As Joyce Meyer writes, ‘It’s almost worth having a problem in order to be able to experience [God’s comfort].’
Be content with who you are
‘Blessed are the meek’ (v.5a). The Greek word for ‘meek’ means ‘gentle’, ‘considerate’, ‘unassuming’. It is showing kindness and love for others. It is the opposite of arrogance and self-seeking. It means ‘broken’, not in the sense of a broken glass that is shattered, but in the way that a horse is broken – tamed, strength under control. Through Jesus the meek are blessed – ‘they will inherit the earth’ (v.5b).

‘You’re blessed when you’re content with just who you are – no more, no less’ (v.5a, MSG).
Be hungry for God
‘Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness’ (v.6a). Pursue a relationship with God as your number one priority in life. Pursuing anything else for its own sake ultimately leaves you empty. But the blessing of a hunger for God and his righteousness is that you ‘will be filled’ (v.6b).

‘You’re blessed when you’ve worked up a good appetite for God’ (v.6a, MSG).
Receive forgiveness and be merciful
‘Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy’ (v.7a). Don’t give people what they ‘deserve’; give them what they don’t deserve. As C.S. Lewis put it, ‘To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you.’ The merciful are blessed because ‘they will be shown mercy’ (v.7b).
Be completely sincere
‘Blessed are the pure in heart’ (v.8a). This is not just outward purity but integrity, openness, sincerity and authenticity. It is a purity that truly allows you to ‘see God’ (v.8b). A pure heart starts with your thoughts because your thoughts become your words, your actions and your character.

A key step to being pure in heart is allowing others to see us as we are – in all our brokenness and vulnerability. ‘You’re blessed when you get your inside world – your mind and heart – put right’ (v.8a, MSG).
Strive to bring peace
‘Blessed are the peacemakers’ (v.9a). Don’t stir up conflict, but make peace. Jesus, the Son of God, came to make peace for you on the cross (Colossians 1:20). Blessed are the peacemakers ‘for they will be called children of God’ (Matthew 5:9b).

‘You’re blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight’ (v.9a, MSG).
Expect nothing in return except persecution
‘Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness’ (v.10a). Don’t expect anything from the world in return except criticism. But God is with the persecuted church: ‘theirs is the kingdom of heaven’ (v.10b).

‘You’re blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution’ (v.10, MSG).
We see here the third way in which Jesus fulfils the Old Testament. We have already seen that Jesus fulfils the Old Testament history (1:1–17) and how he fulfils the promises of the Old Testament prophecies (1:18–4:16). Now, in the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus fulfils the Old Testament Law by revealing its full depth and meaning: ‘Don’t suppose for a minute that I have come to demolish the Scriptures – either God’s Law or the Prophets. I’m not here to demolish but to complete’ (5:17, MSG).

The American rock singer turned pastor, John Wimber, said, ‘Jesus is insatiable. Everything we do pleases him but nothing satisfies him. I have been satisfied with Jesus. He has not been satisfied with me. He keeps raising the standards. He walks in high places.’

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus ‘raised the bar’ to the sky, not to bring us down but to lift us up: ‘I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand – shine!’ (5:16, MSG).

Prayer:

"Lord, help me this year to live by the values of the Sermon on the Mount and to be characterised by the Beatitudes, so I might be a light to the world around me."
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 5:12am On Jan 17, 2017
tolulope855:
I am Tolulope Samuel, I want to let something out here, Yes, it's a faceless forum but still I'll let it out. it's very difficult letting it out real life. I feel bad this day because of my present spiritual status, I want to confess my sin of pornography and masturbation (this is not the first time though, but the first time to let it out). I pray God in his infinite mercy forgives me.

Am Open to suggestions and advice

Let me give you people an hint on how it all started, when I was young my innocence was taken away from me by a neighbor aunty who was much older than I do. And later in life, I learnt about pornography and masturbation. I need help. I Might stay away from it again for another month. I need a permanent solution.

My fear is not going into it again tomorrow or next week, I will definitely stay away from it but what about 3weeks, a month Time, won't the urge come heavily and then I'll be starting all over again? I need help

It's well with you bro.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

I'll say you should try to occupy your mind with lots of things that has to do with the word of God.

Get a Bible plan, that keeps your mind and soul busy. Trust God for the courage to say No.
If possible get a calendar and each passing day, tick it and say, "Thank you Lord, I did not Masturbate or watch Pornography today"
Keep doing this everyday! With time, you'll always look forward to marking your calendar. And eager to see that you're on track.

And whenever you feel the urge to masturbate or watch Pornography look at your calendar and encourage yourself that you wont do it, you wont stain your calendar. Be determined!

I know it may be easier said than done, but you can get over it! All the best!

2 Likes

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by tolulope855(m): 9:25am On Jan 17, 2017

1 Like

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 12:40pm On Jan 17, 2017
tolulope855:

I'm very much grateful sir. I'll do that. More knowledge. God bless you sir.

You're welcome. God Bless You too.

I'm Female btw, not sir.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by tolulope855(m): 3:26pm On Jan 17, 2017
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 4:43pm On Jan 17, 2017
tolulope855:

Wow, I just read the content without checking. Pardon me ma. Thanks so much.

No worries! You're welcome.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 5:25am On Jan 18, 2017

Genesis 9:18-11:9

3. The source of love and unity

Love covers and protects. It does not seek to expose other people’s weaknesses and faults. It does not delight in other’s misfortunes.

Today’s passage begins with the rather strange account of Noah getting drunk. The fact that he was a righteous man did not mean that he was perfect. Shem and Japheth are commended for ‘cover[ing] their father’s unclothedness’ (9:23).

Love and unity go hand in hand. The Tower of Babel is the symbol of disunity (11:1–9). The people said, ‘Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves’ (v.4). This act of pride and power-seeking led to disunity, symbolised in the confusion of different languages in the world. ‘The Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth’ (v.9).

The day of Pentecost was the reversal of Babel. The Holy Spirit enables people to say: ‘each of us hears them [speaking] in our native language’ (Acts 2:8 ). The gift of tongues symbolises the fact that the Holy Spirit reverses the disunity of Babel and unites all peoples and languages.

This is a common experience today as we see the Holy Spirit bringing love and unity across churches, languages and nations.

Prayer:

"Lord, may we never seek to make a name for ourselves or our own church, denomination or movement. Rather, may we seek to glorify your name. Pour out your Spirit, O Lord, on the church as on the day of Pentecost. May there be a reversal of Babel. May there be an end to disunity. May your Spirit and the values of the kingdom of God bring love, joy, peace, true happiness and unity."
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 5:37am On Jan 19, 2017

Directions for Life

Pippa and I are often in a hurry. We are not good at planning our car journeys. We often set off in the wrong direction and frequently get lost (even with a satnav!). I don’t know why it has taken me so long to learn the importance of getting good directions and following them.

Many of us are like this in life. We charge off in a hurry. We don’t realise the importance of getting good directions for life. If you follow God’s directions for life, you will enjoy his blessing and bring blessing to others.

Psalm 5:1-12

1. Start each day waiting for directions

When embarking on a journey the best time to get good directions is before you begin.

In this psalm we have a wonderful example of how to begin each day: ‘Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly’ (vv.2–3). David is ‘waiting for directions’ (v.8, MSG).

There is something special about beginning your day by laying your requests before God. The whole day has a different dimension as you ‘wait expectantly’ (v.3).

Prayer:

"Lord, today I lay my requests before you and wait for directions. Lead me, O Lord. Spread your protection over me. Surround me with your favour as with a shield (vv.8,11,12)."
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by alBHAGDADI: 1:39pm On Jan 19, 2017
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Ftounsifreemind%2Fvideos%2F557845557738341%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 5:22am On Jan 20, 2017

Matthew 5:21-42

2. Follow Jesus’ directions for life

There are some general directions that apply to every car journey. They are the rules of the road. Jesus’ directions in the Sermon on the Mount are like a ‘highway code’ for a life of blessing.

Following Jesus’ directions involves a radical lifestyle. He challenges us to be ruthless in dealing with every wrong attitude, thought, word and action.

Our words should be words of blessing, not anger. Do not speak angry words against your brothers and sisters (vv.21–22). ‘The simple moral fact is that words kill’ (v.22, MSG).

We are called to do everything within our power to bless those we have fallen out with (vv.23–26). If we remember a ‘grudge’ a friend has against us, we should go to the friend and try to ‘make things right’ (vv.23–24, MSG). If we encounter an ‘old enemy’ we should ‘make the first move; make things right’ with them (v.25, MSG).

We need to guard what we do with our eyes and our heart. If we allow them to become corrupted then, far from being a blessing to others, we will be rotten ourselves.

Take radical action. It is not simply about the physical act of adultery. Jesus says, ‘Don’t think you’ve preserved your virtue simply by staying out of bed. Your heart can be corrupted by lust even quicker than your body. Those leering looks you think nobody notices – they also corrupt’ (v.28, MSG).

Jesus speaks of the eye as the starting point of adultery. Take radical steps to avoid such a course (vv.29–30). As Job said, ‘I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a girl’ (Job 31:1).

Marriage is intended to be a place of blessing one another and a source of blessing for others. This means a life of radical faithfulness within marriage (Matthew 5:31–32). Jesus speaks against using divorce as ‘a cover for selfishness and whim’ (v.32a, MSG).

We are to live lives of radical integrity in which we say what we mean, and mean what we say: ‘Simply let your “Yes” be “Yes”, and your “No”, “No”; anything beyond this comes from the evil one’ (v.37).

Blessing others means blessing even those who do bad things to us (vv.38–42). ‘Don’t hit back at all… No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously’ (vv.39,42, MSG). To return evil for good is demonic. To return good for good is human. To return good for evil is the way of Jesus.

Prayer:

"Lord, help me this year to follow your directions for life and to spread blessing wherever I go."
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jan 20, 2017
Sup vickyrotex

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 6:09pm On Jan 20, 2017
TheSlyone2:
Sup vickyrotex

I'm okay. Sup?
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jan 20, 2017
VickyRotex:

I'm okay. Sup?
You are doing a great job here

1 Like

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 6:21pm On Jan 20, 2017
TheSlyone2:

You are doing a great job here

We bless God.

Thank you!
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 6:31am On Jan 21, 2017

Genesis 11:10-13:18

3. Trust God to direct you one step at a time

What I love more than anything when I set out on a long car journey (even better than a satnav), is to have someone in the car with me who knows the directions and tells me, one step at a time, where I should go. In the journey of life God offers to accompany you and direct you one step at a time into a life of blessing.

This is one of the key moments in the Bible, as God initiates his rescue plan for humanity. The previous chapters have been a tale of ever increasing sinfulness and separation from God. In these verses suddenly everything shifts as God reveals his solution – Abraham!

God promises Abraham: ‘I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you… and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you’ (12:2–3).

God chooses one individual and blesses him, and then one nation and blesses them – but his plan is always that they will pass the blessing on (v.3b). This is key for our understanding of the Old Testament, as it explains why God chose Israel – so that through them the whole world might be blessed.

Ultimately this promise is fulfilled in Jesus. He is the fulfilment of all the promises and hopes of Israel and through him ‘all people’ can be blessed.

This is now God’s purpose for you. The apostle Paul writes, ‘Those who have faith are children of Abraham. Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.” So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith’ (Galatians 3:7–9).

The church is blessed, like Abraham and Israel, not for its own sake but in order to bring blessing to the whole world. If you have been blessed by God, it is not for your own selfish indulgence or self-congratulation; it is in order that you can be a blessing to others.

God calls Abraham to leave his country, his people and his father’s household and go to the land God is going to show him (Genesis 12:1). Abraham did exactly as the Lord directed him (v.4, AMP). He trusted God to direct him one step at a time. He could not have seen the next steps at this time but he trusted God’s promises.

This has been my experience in life. God may give us a general picture of what he wants us to do – but as far as the details are concerned he leads us one step at a time. The life of faith involves following his directions one step at a time.

The journey is not always entirely smooth. Abraham was very much a flawed human being just like us. God blessed him with great wealth (13:1, MSG) and a ‘stunningly beautiful wife’ (12:14, MSG). Nevertheless, in an act of weakness and deception, he allows Pharaoh to take her as his wife (vv.10–20).

Then, after ‘quarrelling arose between Abram’s herdsmen and Lot’s’ (13:7), Abraham decides that there has to be a parting of the ways between himself and his nephew (vv.8–11). Actually, it was not Abraham and Lot who fell out – it was, as so often happens, their followers. The reality of friction in human relationships is very evident.

Lot chose the best land and left Abraham with what looked less good. But, again, God gives Abraham directions. He tells him: ‘look around from where you are’ (v.14).

God said, ‘I’ll make your descendants like dust – counting your descendants will be as impossible as counting the dust of the Earth. So – on your feet, get moving! Walk through the country, its length and breadth; I’m giving it all to you’ (vv.16–17, MSG).

As Joyce Meyer writes, ‘Instead of becoming discouraged, depressed or angry when people disappoint us, God wants us to lift up our eyes, look around, and trust him to lead us into an even better situation. He wants us to look around and count our blessings instead of focusing on what we do not have. He wants us to fix our eyes on him, not on the work of the enemy, because he has plans to bless us.’

It is only because of the grace of God that Abraham is promised these amazing blessings. The intention was that he would be a blessing to the whole world. Likewise, for you. You are called to live under God’s blessing and bring blessing to those around you.

Prayer:

"Lord, help me this year to follow your directions, one step at a time, to live under your blessing, and bring as much blessing as I can to everyone around."

1 Like

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by bmeworld(m): 7:06pm On Jan 21, 2017
tolulope855:

I'm very much grateful sir. I'll do that. More knowledge. God bless you sir.

Sir, I appreciate ur courage in sharing ur challenge. I was once suffered d same tin too, and God gave me victory over that spirit. Praise GOD, today am free. Put it in prayer and u'll overcome d that spirit in Jesus Name. Amen! Call me to join faith wit u- 07036684248 GOD BLESS U
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 4:12am On Jan 22, 2017

Your Double Blessing

I love the word ‘mercy’. I am so thankful that God is a God of mercy. William Shakespeare captured something of the wonder of mercy in Portia’s speech in The Merchant of Venice. She speaks about the ‘quality of mercy’:

‘The quality of mercy is not strain’d,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath: it is twice blest;
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.’
Act IV Scene I

You are blessed when you receive mercy and you are blessed when you are merciful to others.

Psalm 6:1-10

1. Cry out for mercy

Are there times in your life when you are really struggling and nothing seems to go right? Do you feel ‘faint’ (v.2), ‘in agony’ (v.2), ‘anguish’ (v.3), ‘worn out’ (v.6), ‘groaning’ (v.6), ‘weeping’ (v.6), in ‘tears’ (v.6), and ‘weak with sorrow’ (v.7)?

At times this may be caused by our own sin. At other times, it may be due to bereavement, sudden loss, relationship difficulties, family break-up, sickness, work issues, unemployment or opposition.

David also experienced difficult times but, in the midst of them, he cried out to God for mercy: ‘Be merciful to me, Lord’ (v.2). He knew that God is a God of mercy. He prayed: ‘Save me for the sake of your steadfast love and mercy’ (v.4, AMP).

Sometimes it seems that our difficulties will never come to an end. They seem to go on and on. When we are in a season of battle we cry out like David, ‘How long, Lord, how long?’ (v.3). We cry out for mercy and it does not seem as if God is listening. But he is. There will come a point when you can say with David: ‘The Lord has heard my weeping. The Lord has heard my cry for mercy’ (vv.8–9).

Prayer:

"Lord, thank you for ‘your unfailing love’ (v.4) and mercy. Thank you that you hear my cry and accept my prayers. Be merciful to me, O Lord."
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jan 22, 2017
Get your spirit lifted as you enjoy this medley by me. Download at https://www.datafilehost.com/d/497b1a6f

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by VickyRotex(f): 5:33am On Jan 23, 2017

Matthew 5:43-6:24

2. Be merciful to others

Having mercy on others is right at the heart of Jesus’ teaching. ‘Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven’ (5:44–45a). Love is more than showing mercy, but mercy is an essential part of love.

Jesus gives three reasons in the passage why you should be merciful towards those who have wronged you:

First, to have mercy on your enemies is to imitate your Father in heaven – ‘that you may be children of your Father in heaven’ (v.45a). God’s mercy extends to those who are hostile towards him: ‘He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous’ (v.45b).
Second, to have mercy like this marks you out from the world: ‘If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?’ (v.46). We tend only to love people who are like us, or whom we like. But you are called to be different. You are called to what Dietrich Bonhoeffer referred to as ‘the “extraordinary”… the hallmark of the Christian’.
Third, there is a connection between forgiving and receiving forgiveness. We cannot receive God’s mercy ourselves and then show no mercy to others. We do not earn forgiveness by forgiving others, but Jesus says that our forgiveness of others is essential to receiving forgiveness from God. ‘You can’t get forgiveness from God, for instance, without also forgiving others. If you refuse to do your part, you cut yourself off from God’s part’ (6:14b–15, MSG). Daily, receive mercy and forgiveness, and daily have mercy and forgive others.
Jesus also explains how you can express this mercy practically in what you do. He highlights the importance of prayer. He tells you to ‘pray for those who persecute you’ (5:44). Praying for your enemies helps you to see them as God sees them. In prayer you stand side by side with them, take their guilt and distress on yourself, and plead to God for them. Prayer is the acid-test of love. Coming into the light of God’s presence reveals the true feelings in the depths of our hearts.

The theme of mercy is also at the heart of the Lord’s Prayer: ‘Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors’ (6:12). (Of course, there is much besides mercy in this prayer, which we will look at later when we encounter it in the other Gospels.)

When we pray, Jesus teaches us to:

Keep it quiet
‘Find a quiet, secluded place so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God’ (v.6a, MSG).
Keep it honest
‘Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage’ (v.6b, MSG).
Keep it simple
‘With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply’ (v.9a, MSG).
Finally, mercy should also be at the heart of our giving. Generosity is a form of having mercy on others. ‘When you help someone out, don’t think about how it looks. Just do it – quietly and unobtrusively. That is the way your God, who conceived you in love, working behind the scenes, helps you out’ (vv.3–4, MSG).

Every time I read the Sermon on the Mount, I see how far short I fall and I am very aware of my own need for mercy.

Prayer:

"Lord, thank you that you are merciful to me. Thank you that you forgive my sins. Lord, help me always to be merciful to others."

(1) (2) (3) ... (602) (603) (604) (605) (606) (607) (608) ... (787) (Reply)

Higher Everyday — Count The Cost Then Follow / Christ Embassy's New Social Website / Yookos.com – Christ Embassy’s Social Networking Site.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.