Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity (6953 Views)

British Politician Raises Alarm Over Deaths Of Nigerians In UK / Osinbajo Chides Jonathan For Attending OIC Meeting / British Politician Calls Nigeria "Bongo-bongo Land" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by ocelot2006(m): 7:32am On Dec 03, 2012
aglomar: The Nigerian press is just honest, it's d foreign ones that are negative.

Oh please! The local press is also full of crap.
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by wowo2: 7:51am On Dec 03, 2012
former British minister = washed out British minister
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by Skii(m): 8:03am On Dec 03, 2012
Chedarking: I'm sure the Nigerian Press would report good things about Nigeria.....

......If there were good things to report about Nigeria!

Lovely sense of humour grin
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by Gozzzy(m): 8:04am On Dec 03, 2012
Except me, what other positive phenomenon is in Nigeria, to report about
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by Jeboy(m): 8:08am On Dec 03, 2012
When people snap dirty things in Nigeria and put it on youtube what are they expecting? Must u wash ur dirty linen in d public. Most Nigerian youth are sick intellectually and psychologically.

1 Like

Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by Burger01(m): 8:22am On Dec 03, 2012
Nigerians are enemies of Nigeria. Nigerians are their own enemies. Sadly so....

1 Like

Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by Akanbiedu(m): 8:40am On Dec 03, 2012
I have to agree with this. The Nigerian press is too negative, may be a reflection of the society at large.

The Nigerian government needs to work with the media about crime reporting especially. It will go along way in addressing our security challenges.
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by Ikengawo: 8:43am On Dec 03, 2012
I think our media needs more regulation. They have to power to send this country into anarchy and have done it over and over again through reckless profiteering. The government needs to make sure they're not posting false storie and that they're keeping their opinions out of issues and not using ethnically inflammatory language. Civil society needs to do its part and sue newspapers that deliberately post slander.
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by nuelnuel: 8:52am On Dec 03, 2012
Many people don't even get the point of this story.Many are attacking the British press,some are attacking the British people instead of attacking the arguement put forward by the woman and this is what we call fallacy.If this type of issue was raised against the British press,they will tell you ''this needs to be investigated''.But here in Nigeria,people are just blabbing,I am asking it is like we lack that ''Scientific Methodology'' of doing things because what all these people making all these negative comments should have done is bring facts that prove her wrong.
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by Kobojunkie: 8:56am On Dec 03, 2012
Chedarking: I'm sure the Nigerian Press would report good things about Nigeria.....

......If there were good things to report about Nigeria!

abi ooo!!!!
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by Chedarking: 8:58am On Dec 03, 2012
Positive Things in Nigeria....By Messr Ikengawo

1:People are more IT-Savvy...

Ikengawo: Someone who is using a personal computer is talking about a jeopordized economy. I left Nigeria in 1995. Nobody had a computer. Nobody had a phone. You're talking about bad signal today, when I was living in Nigeria there was no such a thing a signal unless you worked for the government. If you wanted a message relayed you would send someone on an errand like in the stone age.

2:School Kids now Wear Socks

Ikengawo: I remember kids trying to fight me and my siblings because we had socks. Everyone was skinning and weak, people could legitimately die of hungry. In todays nigeria that's not possible. Everything that's in the west is in Nigeria, except in an inferior quality but once upon a time non of those things were anywhere close to Nigeria.

I'm shocked that the Nigerian Press dont report these GOOD things...

Instead they have to publish such Negative and Inciting stories like:

Youth Unemployment at 75% and rising

Public funds embezzlement in the Oil Sector (Up to 5 billion dollars)

Boko haram bombing the living shyt out of random people

Nigeria now being the Kidnap capital of the world(As rated by an insurance body)

Petrol being sold at #250 in country that is the 8th largest Oil producer in the world...

Gangs of Armed Robbers shooting up the Feds for fun

And the Rise of the Private Jet elite -including Pastrorpreneurs and Pilot Governors

THE NIGERIAN PRESS SHOULD BE SHOT....I MEAN HOW CAN THEY REPORT SUCH NEGATIVE THINGS?
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by Okijajuju1(m): 9:03am On Dec 03, 2012
The Picture below represents the Nigerian Government and the people...

Whats positive about this picture?

[img]http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/kick+the+the+balls_1e16ea_3094738.gif[/img]
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by omenziate(m): 9:19am On Dec 03, 2012
A country where an average of 20 pple die a week from avoidable causes, graduate unemployment rising to about 70% to the extent PhD and Msc holders are now truck drivers and it is seen as laudable. Life expectancy at 52 or even less,power is seen as luxury, PHCN office operates with a generator, pple live on less a dollar a day, a country where petty thieves are incinerated and big ones are celebrated . I even feel the bad news in Nigeria is underreported.

1 Like

Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by bmasz(m): 9:31am On Dec 03, 2012
Am confused. Nigeria is progressing why all this fuse. Unemployment is on the increase. Massive road construction are going on (on paper). Boko haram is saving lifes on a forth-basis. Legislooters are exporting our Naira to developed countries. Our sport is taking giant strides from behind. Political class is mainly comprised of unpatriotic nigerians. The list of progress we are makin in the negative direction is endless.
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by trix1: 9:44am On Dec 03, 2012
Some people are missing the point. we are not saying that everything is rosy in Nigeria, But that everything isn't negative!
for those of you that are old enough to remember when nollywood started making home videos, you'd recall that many people started associating Nigerians with native doctors and babalawo, etc etc. some people on NL today believe that there's no bush in USA and UK, cos of the movies and stories they see/hear.
There's good and there's bad news, its only fair to balance the news
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by trix1: 9:45am On Dec 03, 2012
bmasz: Am confused. Nigeria is progressing why all this fuse. Unemployment is on the increase. Massive road construction are going on (on paper). Boko haram is saving lifes on a forth-basis. Legislooters are exporting our Naira to developed countries. Our sport is taking giant strides from behind. Political class is mainly comprised of unpatriotic nigerians. The list of progress we are makin in the negative direction is endless.

can you honestly say NOTHING good has happened around you in the last 3days?
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by trix1: 9:46am On Dec 03, 2012
omenziate: A country where an average of 20 pple die a week from avoidable causes, graduate unemployment rising to about 70% to the extent PhD and Msc holders are now truck drivers and it is seen as laudable. Life expectancy at 52 or even less,power is seen as luxury, PHCN office operates with a generator, pple live on less a dollar a day, a country where petty thieves are incinerated and big ones are celebrated . I even feel the bad news in Nigeria is underreported.
the bad news is under-reported? and then the good news is what? over-reported?
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by okcyggen: 9:51am On Dec 03, 2012
.......and who da heck paid d so-called baroness to chat sh.it....... blaady hypocrites; u ever tried opening a bank account in dem "kingdom" wiv ya green-colored passport (even as a sponsored international PG student from 9ja) n see aw ur passport wud be tossed around wiv eyes full fret n need for caution. She shud start spreadn her gadamn message from home......blaady amebor!!!!!!
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by abhosts(m): 9:58am On Dec 03, 2012
I agree with the Lady. I Personally avoid Negative minded people like a plague and that Resolve has really helped my destiny.

An Asian Friend of Mine Visited Nigeria recently and was so amazed at the massive rise of the Expatriate population in Nigeria in recent years. Would that be the case if "Nothing good" was happening in the Country?

God Bless My Beloved Nigeria
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by lomprico(m): 10:17am On Dec 03, 2012
Choi! PDP don infiltrate BBC o!
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by Arsenate(m): 10:18am On Dec 03, 2012
Ikengawo: The british guy is 100% right. Look at this for example
The Eko Atlantic Project is the largest human works project in the history of west africa
It's several times larger, more useful and more complex then the great wonders of the world today, Eiffle Tower, Empire State Building, Big Ben, etc.
It's also one of the most innovative projects in the world in dealing with global warming.

This mammoth feat of human achievement and human vision is seldom if ever covered by the Nigerian press. In a country that is building the largest project since the pyramids of egypt "Man turns into a goat after killing wife" is the headline news and this work (eko) which if it were in america, or any more reasonable country would be the talk of the century, is completely ignored.

The result is i can bet money that 80% of non lagosian Nigerians don't know there's a new city being built in their own country.
This is how they can say something as stupid as "If there were good news to be reported". Nigerians don't life in reality, they create a hellish alternate universe that they view everything from that this is why that can't say anything good about their country. If you start thinking Nigeria is bad because of what nigerians say, remember what nigerians say about

their neighbor
their friends
their family members
opposite tribes
their own tribes men
their children
their life
and then their country

always negative. ALWAYS.
so dammnnn well said, sir.
When I read and hear all the negative stuffs about Nigeria, I begin to ask myself if I was living in a different country. Nigerians are just bitter, hateful, whiners. Nothing ever pleases them. All they do is whine, whine and whine the more...
NB, negative energy is contagious, stay away from pessimists.

1 Like

Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by eldoradoxx: 10:33am On Dec 03, 2012
Ikengawo: Someone who is using a personal computer is talking about a jeopordized economy. I left Nigeria in 1995. Nobody had a computer. Nobody had a phone. You're talking about bad signal today, when I was living in Nigeria there was no such a thing a signal unless you worked for the government. If you wanted a message relayed you would send someone on an errand like in the stone age.

I remember kids trying to fight me and my siblings because we had socks. Everyone was skinning and weak, people could legitimately die of hungry. In todays nigeria that's not possible. Everything that's in the west is in Nigeria, except in an inferior quality but once upon a time non of those things were anywhere close to Nigeria.

If i say any of these things Nigerians, being so negative and hateful will get on their laptop, or their blackberry and start attacking me, telling me they're poor and suffering. Nigerians are just negative. Only whites can see the progress and growth potential and that's why they're buying up the country and making money.
Thanks for this wonderful piece. The biggest problem in Nigeria today is that average Nigerian is tooooo negative about this country. Its no doubt due to long years of military regime when we plummeted Thomas Hobbes' state of nature where life became brutish, solitary and short. Thank God for democracy, we are actually making some progress albeit slowly but surely. At least an average Nigerian can now rant on the internet using any smartphone of his choice!, some years back how many Nigerians could afford that? Even when few could was there service providers other than Nitel. I remember how we used to trekk 2 _ 3 kilometer to Nitel office to make calls with coins, I could stil remember when we used to sleep over at gas station, just to queue up for fuel and kersoine,cooking gas was for the super rich then. Democracy has brought some silent changes, many are stil on board. But as usual,an average Nigerian stil sees nothing wrong in openly cursing his country. I heard of Malawi, zimbabwe and other failed or failing African states warning their citizens on Nigeria. We may have challenges but we are not inherently bad as media is making us look. More deadly crimes are committed in China but we only hear of how Chinese ve built a better ship or jet. The crime rate in California in 3 months is more than what we have in nigeria in a year, but American media will never sensationalise it. It seems that only negative stories that sell in Nigeria. I tune to radio, all I hear is frustrated people making all sorts of disparaging remark about Nigeria. No nation grows where her people collectively sees her as failed
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 03, 2012
shymexx:

She's just trying to tell those who paid for her visit what they want to hear... grin

If she really cares about Nigeria, she would have chided the thieving politicians(who paid for her visit), not the press...

Exactimo @shymexx

"Your recent remarks make me want to believe the more, Karl Marx’s statement a long time ago that ‘the executive of the modern state is but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie’

I will simply beg to disagree with you Baroness Chalker on this matter. Not a lot has changed since your days as the United Kingdom’s Minister of Overseas Development, during which time you must have visited Nigeria frequently, rather things have gotten worse.

I am beginning to suspect your intentions and motives at this stage in your career. I understand that you are the owner of Africa Matters, Ltd (a business and investment consultancy), you also serve as an advisory director at Unilever, a company with huge interests and investments in Nigeria, our President (Olusegun Obasanjo) has also made you the chairman of Nigeria’s International Investment Advisory Council. It is quite clear on whose side you are on and who butters your bread
." -- Uche Nworah's open letter to Baroness Lynda Chalker back in 2005
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by Nobody: 4:14pm On Dec 03, 2012
Ikengawo: The british guy is 100% right. Look at this for example
The Eko Atlantic Project is the largest human works project in the history of west africa
It's several times larger, more useful and more complex then the great wonders of the world today, Eiffle Tower, Empire State Building, Big Ben, etc.
It's also one of the most innovative projects in the world in dealing with global warming.

This mammoth feat of human achievement and human vision is seldom if ever covered by the Nigerian press. In a country that is building the largest project since the pyramids of egypt "Man turns into a goat after killing wife" is the headline news and this work (eko) which if it were in america, or any more reasonable country would be the talk of the century, is completely ignored.

The result is i can bet money that 80% of non lagosian Nigerians don't know there's a new city being built in their own country.
This is how they can say something as stupid as "If there were good news to be reported". Nigerians don't life in reality, they create a hellish alternate universe that they view everything from that this is why that can't say anything good about their country. If you start thinking Nigeria is bad because of what nigerians say, remember what nigerians say about

their neighbor
their friends
their family members
opposite tribes
their own tribes men
their children
their life
and then their country

always negative. ALWAYS.

Honestly it's sad.
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by Nobody: 4:22pm On Dec 03, 2012

I remember kids trying to fight me and my siblings because we had socks. Everyone was skinning and weak, people could legitimately die of hungry. In todays nigeria that's not possible. Everything that's in the west is in Nigeria, except in an inferior quality but once upon a time non of those things were anywhere close to Nigeria.

If i say any of these things Nigerians, being so negative and hateful will get on their laptop, or their blackberry and start attacking me, telling me they're poor and suffering. Nigerians are just negative. Only whites can see the progress and growth potential and that's why they're buying up the country and making money.

Is it only whites? Chinese nko?

As you said, we have folks today driving jeeps, using blackberry plus Ipad, and complaining about ''a jeopardized economy''.

I mean, those three items alone are virtually all one needs to create a thriving business today.

In the 80s and 90s when some of us were hustling, the idea of such possessions or conveniences was a pipe-dream. Every potential deal meant you had to catch the molue to the island or wherever, just to discuss the deal with someone, with less than 10% chance of success o, despite the traffic and travel expenses.

Now you just txt him in 2 seconds!

People don't know what a 'jeopardized economy' really is. I laugh in Swahili!!

1 Like

Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by Ikengawo: 7:29pm On Dec 03, 2012
abhosts: I agree with the Lady. I Personally avoid Negative minded people like a plague and that Resolve has really helped my destiny.

An Asian Friend of Mine Visited Nigeria recently and was so amazed at the massive rise of the Expatriate population in Nigeria in recent years. Would that be the case if "Nothing good" was happening in the Country?

God Bless My Beloved Nigeria

I can honestly say expat nigerians understand the level of progress happening in Nigeria than Nigerians in Nigeria.
Nigerians in Nigeria will tell you they're starving and there's no jobs, but I'm yet to meet an expat that didn't return to start a successful business or more commonly get an excellent job. This is why Nigeria's best jobs are now being filled with expats.

the nigerian media is so negative that most Nigerians dont even have a place to tell them who's hiring! The media is focused on juju, politics and reporting every single human being that commits a crime. In America i can open a newspaper and find a job, find an apartment, find out what activities are happening in my community. In Nigeria you open a newspaper to read about who got deported from whatever country.

But if an expat tells them Nigeria is developing they will attack him/her. So we've learned to remain quite and make our money in silence while everyone else complains that there's no money.
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by Olaone1: 10:21pm On Dec 03, 2012
I am 100% sure she stands to gain something from her comment.

Criticism or praise, the West remains the West. These countries don't want you to do well. They don't like you. Trust me.

Just read between the lines. Tory for that matter. undecided undecided
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by mikron(m): 11:46pm On Dec 03, 2012
This woman could not have said it any better, this is exactly what our members here on Nairaland do on daily basis, lambasting the country, most of them never see anything good about Nigeria, we may not be getting it right but i remain very patriotic of my country Nigeria. our problem is leadership, with the right leaders we ll have a nation to be proud of. we should learn to appreciate our country, when we insult our country to the whole world what do we expect other nationals to say about us, praise us? there is a popular saying monkey no fine but im mama like am, lets appreciate our country
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by getukudo(m): 12:43am On Dec 04, 2012
What the baroness said is nothing far from the truth! So why are we attacking her? Most Nigerians live a sad and hateful life, they never want to see anyone progress. Sadly, with this mentality they pass it onto the younger generations and it goes on and on, feeding them with negative thoughts. Nigerians need to change their views about their country, until then we will still have different govts but with people who grew up with negative thoughts, we need to change ourselves first and that starts from the bottom not from the top.
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by getukudo(m): 12:52am On Dec 04, 2012
Okija_juju: The Picture below represents the Nigerian Government and the people...

Whats positive about this picture?

[img]http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/kick+the+the+balls_1e16ea_3094738.gif[/img]

Is this the only picture you could find?
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by popoyeh(m): 10:20am On Dec 04, 2012
We paint our achievements too in bad light with our negativism. E.g. This thread on the satellite.....

https://www.nairaland.com/748687/nigerian-sat-x-satellite-pictures/1
Re: British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity by popoyeh(m): 10:36am On Dec 04, 2012
okcyggen: .......and who da heck paid d so-called baroness to chat sh.it....... blaady hypocrites; u ever tried opening a bank account in dem "kingdom" wiv ya green-colored passport (even as a sponsored international PG student from 9ja) n see aw ur passport wud be tossed around wiv eyes full fret n need for caution. She shud start spreadn her gadamn message from home......blaady amebor!!!!!!

This shouldn't make you sad, its the reality of what our brothers from different parts of the country had caused in other people's countries. Thats the reality we have to face.

I had heard this story of carrying a green passport and being suspected at every airport and I'm glad I heard that before travelling abroad, so I was prepared. At the end of June this year, I had to come to India for a course, it was my first time outside Nigeria. After alighting from the plane, I was in the first 10 passengers to reach the checkout counters, but I left last..... After more than 200+ other passengers who met me there. My passport was brandied around, I was asked several irritating questions, my papers were checked and rechecked and it was frustrating. Really it was....

But, having heard about how my brothers, carrying the same green passport as mine have gone to other nations to swindle them, sell drugs to them, beat up their citizens for looking at them somehow (recent Nigerian like me in the UK, hitting a 16 year old) etc. I was prepared for anything. I kept smiling and feeling good with myself, watching them run agitatedly with my passport and enjoying the ensuing drama. Since I knew I was clean, all my papers were complete and I had no illegal stuff on me, I was confidently watching them, waiting for the drama to pan out before calmly collecting my beloved green passport and walking to collect my luggages, my head held high and their gazes accompanying me. I guess they were disappointed not to catch me for anything....

I don't blame them, not at all. BECAUSE its not their fault... Its my BROTHERS' fault.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kaduna Youths Reacts To Pro-biafra Protesters Move / Israel's Prime Minister Recognizes Biafrans As Jews / Nigerian Police Storms Redeem Church In Ikeja, Locks It Down For Disobedience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.