Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,101 members, 7,953,351 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:54 PM

Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? (4557 Views)

Help !! What Is Wrong With My Cv! Why Is The Job Not Coming! / The Plain Truth About GNLD Marketers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 6:26pm On Dec 03, 2012
Insanity: i will advise you to subscribe wif and visit it @least once daily. Don't give up soo easily, i was called for interview in a construction firm for an opening i applied since March, i've forgotten about the application sef. Its been 2 months now and ​We've not heard frm them, only 4 peeps was called for that interview and non of us have been called. You should be strong, try Uя best, evn try better that ya best, that's all you can do. Believe me, you'll be called.

thanks, am subscribed to almost all job sites and i also get their job alert. and also visit their sites daily, unfailingly
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 6:28pm On Dec 03, 2012
Femsyn:

Please check the bold part while scrutinizing her CV.

yes, y am i not also called in cases of online forms?
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by bgates: 6:37pm On Dec 03, 2012
GOD BLESS U ALL FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS....
I HAVE LEARNED ALOT HERE....WE have lots of INTELLIGENT NIGERIANS..
PLEASE ATTACHED HERE IS MY CV...PLS PEOPLE HELP ME GO THROUGH THE CV..and make your SUGGESTION
also pls if u know anywhere I CAN SEND IT TO FOR JOB PLS LET ME KNOW.
THANX
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Shola2009(m): 7:24pm On Dec 03, 2012
Cv contains several unnecessary information.
- IMO, keep it to 1 page. primary school? pictures? references? take all that out.
-You should reflect your responsibilities and skills as accomplishments. Instead of saying 'i did this . . .i did that'. Use power powers e.g Developed, Liaised.
-Put some quantitative information. e.g developed initiative . .that reduced project completion time by 2 months. etc.
-Extra curricular accomplishments, if any. Also, state class of degree and put it in bold.
-Good formatting. The 3 CVs i read briefly, were not exactly pleasant to the eyes. several CV templates are available online. Take one make it yours.

Hopes this helps. good luck.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Dec 03, 2012
If you like, I can help you develop good curriculum vitae. Good luck.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by bigyomite(m): 8:07pm On Dec 03, 2012
U can not remove the objective, because thats waht state ur mind set, just kp trying but remember that location also play a big role when looking for job.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by mhoo(f): 9:01pm On Dec 03, 2012
Aafulenu:

please y do u think i should take it out?

I believe right now you are in need of anything entry level... which cuts across a no of fields... what employers need at this level is just your intellects and innate skills... an objective, if not well-articulated, at this stage might turn out to be the best way of shooting yourself in the leg! #JustSaying
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Adetonyone: 9:20pm On Dec 03, 2012
You need to tailor your CV to the specific job you want to apply for, this your CV is just a generic one that does not meant for a particular job position. No employer will call you with this type of CV, that is the truth except through divine intervention.
Things to change in your CV
1. Your Objective statement can’t caught recruiter’s attention, you need to redefine it and tailor it toward the specific job you’re applying for. If you cannot do it well, it is better to ignore it because that is first thing employer will see and it can determine where your CV will be place. (of interest or not of interest)
2. Your name, address and your email are not well-aligned, please try to justify them instead of the right align I can see in there in your CV.
3. Your font size is not consistent apart from your name which is expected to be of larger font, every other font there should be the same. Writing with different font shows that you’re not organized. I would advise you to use Verdana with 10 points or Times New Roman with 11 or 12 points. Leave spacing with 1.0. From your CV here you have up to 4 different font type or face (Cambria, Calibri, Bookman Old Style, verdana)
4. Please remove the personal data because it is not necessary, it just eaten up space in your CV. Employer need to see the information that will help them sort out CV as fast as possible within 20 – 30 seconds. Except otherwise stated you don’t need them there
5. I can see that you use chronological type of CV format which is good for someone with less experience but the way you arrange your educational career is not too good, it even eat up much space in your CV, and those spaces could have been used for some more important information.
6. With your experience level, you CV should not be more than one page. It is advisable not to have more than one page when you have an experience that is less than 5 years. This is the reason why you need to match your CV with the available job position and remove any qualification that does not go with the job you’re applying for.
7. In your experiences listing, you’re only telling recruiter your responsibilities or duties in those places where you’ve worked. Employer aren’t interested in your responsibilities or duties, they are only interested in your accomplishment in those places. You achievement will draw their attention toward you. Use keywords that are related to that company you’re applying for job when you’re trying to write your accomplishment stated and make sure you quantify them. You teach student, how is there improvement level and by what standard. E.g, When you got to that School the number of students that pass commerce with B’s & A’s increases to 75% when compared with their previous results in that school.
8. Your personal skill look too generic, ability to , ability to, ability to, are generic statement, try and modify them with the company keywords.
9. The whole of your CV need an overhaul, I cannot do more than this for you my dear sister.
10. If your CGPA is above 3.0, don't forget to list it but if it is below don't bother yourself about it. Your qualification matter because companies list it as part of their criteria for employment, although not every company does that but for the one that do it, is just to screen candidates out of the huge number of people that apply for particular position.
God will help you and me too, your job is on the way.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Shola2009(m): 9:25pm On Dec 03, 2012
^^ Excellent advice.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 10:26pm On Dec 03, 2012
Adetonyone: You need to tailor your CV to the specific job you want to apply for, this your CV is just a generic one that does not meant for a particular job position. No employer will call you with this type of CV, that is the truth except through divine intervention.
Things to change in your CV
1. Your Objective statement can’t caught recruiter’s attention, you need to redefine it and tailor it toward the specific job you’re applying for. If you cannot do it well, it is better to ignore it because that is first thing employer will see and it can determine where your CV will be place. (of interest or not of interest)
2. Your name, address and your email are not well-aligned, please try to justify them instead of the right align I can see in there in your CV.
3. Your font size is not consistent apart from your name which is expected to be of larger font, every other font there should be the same. Writing with different font shows that you’re not organized. I would advise you to use Verdana with 10 points or Times New Roman with 11 or 12 points. Leave spacing with 1.0. From your CV here you have up to 4 different font type or face (Cambria, Calibri, Bookman Old Style, verdana)
4. Please remove the personal data because it is not necessary, it just eaten up space in your CV. Employer need to see the information that will help them sort out CV as fast as possible within 20 – 30 seconds. Except otherwise stated you don’t need them there
5. I can see that you use chronological type of CV format which is good for someone with less experience but the way you arrange your educational career is not too good, it even eat up much space in your CV, and those spaces could have been used for some more important information.
6. With your experience level, you CV should not be more than one page. It is advisable not to have more than one page when you have an experience that is less than 5 years. This is the reason why you need to match your CV with the available job position and remove any qualification that does not go with the job you’re applying for.
7. In your experiences listing, you’re only telling recruiter your responsibilities or duties in those places where you’ve worked. Employer aren’t interested in your responsibilities or duties, they are only interested in your accomplishment in those places. You achievement will draw their attention toward you. Use keywords that are related to that company you’re applying for job when you’re trying to write your accomplishment stated and make sure you quantify them. You teach student, how is there improvement level and by what standard. E.g, When you got to that School the number of students that pass commerce with B’s & A’s increases to 75% when compared with their previous results in that school.
8. Your personal skill look too generic, ability to , ability to, ability to, are generic statement, try and modify them with the company keywords.
9. The whole of your CV need an overhaul, I cannot do more than this for you my dear sister.
10. If your CGPA is above 3.0, don't forget to list it but if it is below don't bother yourself about it. Your qualification matter because companies list it as part of their criteria for employment, although not every company does that but for the one that do it, is just to screen candidates out of the huge number of people that apply for particular position.
God will help you and me too, your job is on the way.

thanks for taking your timr to help, i have uploaded a corrected copy, can u please take a look?

andd hw do i change the generic look u are talking about? can u give me an example? like hw i will change the statement ' ability to work in both team and self oriented environment' into a less generic statement?

thanks very much
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 10:27pm On Dec 03, 2012
mhoo:

I believe right now you are in need of anything entry level... which cuts across a no of fields... what employers need at this level is just your intellects and innate skills... an objective, if not well-articulated, at this stage might turn out to be the best way of shooting yourself in the leg! #JustSaying

thanks u might have a point. #noted
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Adetonyone: 10:38pm On Dec 03, 2012
bgates: GOD BLESS U ALL FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS....
I HAVE LEARNED ALOT HERE....WE have lots of INTELLIGENT NIGERIANS..
PLEASE ATTACHED HERE IS MY CV...PLS PEOPLE HELP ME GO THROUGH THE CV..and make your SUGGESTION
also pls if u know anywhere I CAN SEND IT TO FOR JOB PLS LET ME KNOW.
THANX

Your picture should disappear from it, it is only in France and Germany as far as I know for now that make use of picture in their CV. The employer may not like your face o Lol.

Put your email and phone number under your address above,

Remove the personal information asap

Rearrange your CV by putting you either your qualification or Experiences first. Education if you have less experince and experience not relating to the company you're applying. New graduates are always advise to put their educational qualification first with CGPA if you have more than 3.0

Nigerian now have beging to adopt UK and other developed country concerning the listing of personal information like date of birth, religion and the rest because of discrimination issues. Just remove that personal information completly and replace it with personal profile if you know how to write it to grab employer's attention otherwise just ignore that part.

Focus on one type of bulleted list you use there (., -, *)and remove your skill from the from. it should be ability and skill

The way you write your skill is too generic, modify it toward the company's positional job description you're apply for.

You've succeeded in listing responsibilities in your CV and not achievement. Nobody want to see your irresponsibility, all recruiters want is your accomplishment or achievement. Listing responsibilities only mean you just do only the job you're given without doing anything extra to earn applauds from your employer.

Remove your reference and make your CV one page bro. Your reference don't make meaning at this state now because employer will not consult them without your consent. Wait until you get to the interview stage, that is when they will have your time to look for such thing.

Just take your time to rearrange everything.
All best bro.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Bonethugss: 10:41pm On Dec 03, 2012
In addition to all the good advice already given.. i believe ur CV is tailored for a teaching job.. It gives employers the impression (in my opinion) that you like teaching or would prefer a career in teaching. I am equally an entry level graduate like u & my advice is that u insert a new heading under ur experience.. Something like 'IT Skills', this way u can include skills like
- Extensive experience in creating, managing and maintaining new databases and users: setting up backups, export, and other monitoring scripts.
- Involved in all phases of database development, from needs assessment to QA/QC, design, and support.
-In-depth understanding of security and backup procedures, to ensure database integrity.
- or ability to design, develop, and implement automated data backup and restoration procedures. Provide technical support for database maintenance and disaster recovery...

Also under ur NYSC teaching experience, include lines like
- communicated effectively with students, families and colleagues
-Monitored student learning behavior and adjusted delivery of instruction
-Encouraged active student involvement on learning
- Ensured to perform towards the standard goals and objectives of the institution....
Just try to sound as cool, smart and sophisticated as possible ...(but don't lie sha, just exaggerate the truth)
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 12:25am On Dec 04, 2012
Bonethugss: In addition to all the good advice already given.. i believe ur CV is tailored for a teaching job.. It gives employers the impression (in my opinion) that you like teaching or would prefer a career in teaching. I am equally an entry level graduate like u & my advice is that u insert a new heading under ur experience.. Something like 'IT Skills', this way u can include skills like
- Extensive experience in creating, managing and maintaining new databases and users: setting up backups, export, and other monitoring scripts.
- Involved in all phases of database development, from needs assessment to QA/QC, design, and support.
-In-depth understanding of security and backup procedures, to ensure database integrity.
- or ability to design, develop, and implement automated data backup and restoration procedures. Provide technical support for database maintenance and disaster recovery...

Also under ur NYSC teaching experience, include lines like
- communicated effectively with students, families and colleagues
-Monitored student learning behavior and adjusted delivery of instruction
-Encouraged active student involvement on learning
- Ensured to perform towards the standard goals and objectives of the institution....
Just try to sound as cool, smart and sophisticated as possible ...(but don't lie sha, just exaggerate the truth)

thanks for the tips i have corrected it. u can check my initial post. what do u think about the new cv?
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Hotstepper(f): 3:34am On Dec 04, 2012
my dear, your own job is waiting for you. just keep applying and you will get there soon. between, i think i might know you in personsmiley
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 7:11am On Dec 04, 2012
@hotstepper, i doubt if u will knew me, i was very very invisible in school, thou i had a cousin with the same surname who was quite popular, so u might be mistaken me for her.
i grad in 2005 so we were served u guys, btw i was in izora in 02, served tega adah.

are u still in canada?
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by DisGuy: 9:45am On Dec 04, 2012
Your updated Cv looks way better than the old one, well done

keep improving and tailoring your CV to advertised positions by using keywords/buzzwords related to the sector
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 9:59am On Dec 04, 2012
Dis Guy: Your updated Cv looks way better than the old one, well done

keep improving and tailoring your CV to advertised positions by using keywords/buzzwords related to the sector

thanks very much, so no more corrections? so i can start using it?

a
@ all i am very grateful for the help given, u guys just saved a life! kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Nobody: 10:05am On Dec 04, 2012
Shola2009: Cv contains several unnecessary information.
- IMO, keep it to 1 page. primary school? pictures? references? take all that out.
-You should reflect your responsibilities and skills as accomplishments. Instead of saying 'i did this . . .i did that'. Use power powers e.g Developed, Liaised.
-Put some quantitative information. e.g developed initiative . .that reduced project completion time by 2 months. etc.
-Extra curricular accomplishments, if any. Also, state class of degree and put it in bold.
-Good formatting. The 3 CVs i read briefly, were not exactly pleasant to the eyes. several CV templates are available online. Take one make it yours.

Hopes this helps. good luck.

I was once using a-paged cv buh I was made 2 undstnd dat its BAD...a 2-paged cv is safer n beta, QED!
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by ineco(m): 10:28am On Dec 04, 2012
Guy, be prayerful and believe in God that all things are possible, also, if u dnt mind, u can also upgrade ur CV, if u dnt get that, u can talk to me tru dis, emmlovely@yahoo.com best of lucky
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by chyseth(m): 11:52am On Dec 04, 2012
my style: if there is a vacancy in lagos that i want to apply for, i usually change my cv to carry a lagos address. Reason being that some employers like in my office will prefer people that will not present additional bill on the company as TP reimbursement since it has always been the organization's policy to reimburse. try it out sha

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anyone With Info About The NIMC Recruitment? / 2017 N-POWER JOB RECRUITMENT- What To Do To Be Shortlisted For N-power 2017 / Call Centre Agent Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.