Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,739 members, 7,809,831 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM (8008 Views)

ASWMA Vehicle Spotted With Two Of Its Tyres Missing (photos) / PHOTO: Fully Loaded Cement Truck Spotted Cruising At Lekki With Tyres Missing / Photo: Wrongly Inflated Tyres Can Severely Reduce Your Fuel Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by shiftbutton: 2:06pm On Dec 03, 2012
Under inflated tyres are highly dangerous

Romano Daniels, Bridgestone General Manager Marketing and Communications, said that tyre under-inflation was one of the most serious risk factors for crashes.

An under-inflated tyre runs at higher temperatures than it is designed for, he explained. The excess heat and friction can cause the tyre to disintegrate, leading to a blowout.

Daniels said that under-inflated tyres also cause fuel consumption to increase because of the extra rolling resistance that results.

Another concern is tyre life, he said. An under-inflated tyre wears down much faster. This means that motorists may only get 50 to 60 per cent of the tyre life they would expect from a correctly-inflated tyre, he added.

Also remember that an under-inflated tyre does not hold its designed shape as well under cornering or braking. This can cause poor roadholding and extended braking distances.

Under-inflated tyres can often be recognised by checking the wear pattern. If the tyre is wearing down on both shoulders faster than in the centre, the tyre pressures should be checked more frequently. If, however, the tyre pressures are found to be normal, the vehicle may have an alignment problem and should be seen to before the tyres become too worn.

Daniels advised motorists to check their tyre pressures at least every two weeks, using an accurate tyre gauge. He said that if motorists were concerned about the accuracy of the tyre pressure gauges at their local garages, they should consider investing in a proper portable tyre pressure gauge. He said the savings made through longer tyre life would soon cover the cost of the gauge.

http://www.bridgestone.co.za/corporate/news/article/608

1 Like

Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by YOUNGKAHUNA: 3:32pm On Dec 03, 2012
Must We Be Told Before We Know Its Dangerous?
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by YOUNGKAHUNA: 3:33pm On Dec 03, 2012
Those That Have Ears, Let 'em Hear. A Word Is Enough For The Wise
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by iamswizz(m): 3:47pm On Dec 03, 2012
After fashola has swept okada off d roads,thereby making vulganizers realise less profits,which has made them switch they're vocations.. So how do pple handle the inflated tyre saga
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by legalwealth(m): 3:48pm On Dec 03, 2012
YOUNGKAHUNA: Does That Have Ears, Let 'em Hear. A Word Is Enough For The Wise

You are right but any sensible person know this.
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by Jblx(m): 3:52pm On Dec 03, 2012
Shoul a front Tyres be kept at thesame preasure guage with the back ones, & what is the normal(45 or 50psi) guage for the Tyres?
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 03, 2012
Also remember that an under-inflated tyre does not hold its designed shape as well under cornering or braking. This can cause poor roadholding and extended braking distances.

In as much as i do agree that under-inflated tyres are unsafe, i think i do not agree with the principle of poor road holding.
Breaking should have more effect with a higher surface area contact.

I stand to be corrected tho' :8
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by salolo(m): 4:06pm On Dec 03, 2012
good
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by hardbody: 4:08pm On Dec 03, 2012
shiftbutton: Under inflated tyres are highly dangerous

Romano Daniels, Bridgestone General Manager Marketing and Communications, said that tyre under-inflation was one of the most serious risk factors for crashes.

An under-inflated tyre runs at higher temperatures than it is designed for, he explained. The excess heat and friction can cause the tyre to disintegrate, leading to a blowout.

Daniels said that under-inflated tyres also cause fuel consumption to increase because of the extra rolling resistance that results.

Another concern is tyre life, he said. An under-inflated tyre wears down much faster. This means that motorists may only get 50 to 60 per cent of the tyre life they would expect from a correctly-inflated tyre, he added.

Under-inflated tyres can often be recognised by checking the wear pattern. If the tyre is wearing down on both shoulders faster than in the centre, the tyre pressures should be checked more frequently. If, however, the tyre pressures are found to be normal, the vehicle may have an alignment problem and should be seen to before the tyres become too worn.

Daniels advised motorists to check their tyre pressures at least every two weeks, using an accurate tyre gauge. He said that if motorists were concerned about the accuracy of the tyre pressure gauges at their local garages, they should consider investing in a proper portable tyre pressure gauge. He said the savings made through longer tyre life would soon cover the cost of the gauge.

http://www.bridgestone.co.za/corporate/news/article/608

Pray, what is the average life span of a tyre? I have heard 4 years, some have said i can pick it from the tyre itself where it is written ( i dont have that kind of time), i asked a certain mechanic guy and he said 2 years, I gave up on him, so who has the correct answer and provide me with authority please
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by abdullkabar(m): 4:10pm On Dec 03, 2012
shocked
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by Nobody: 4:37pm On Dec 03, 2012
Jblx: Shoul a front Tyres be kept at thesame preasure guage with the back ones, & what is the normal(45 or 50psi) guage for the Tyres?

Please check your Owner's Manual for the correct pressures. It may also be on a sticker in your driver's door recess, or behind your fuel filler flap.

50 psi in a car tyre? Or do you drive a Mercedes-Benz 911?

4 Likes

Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by folahann(m): 4:40pm On Dec 03, 2012
Good to know.
It will be really nice to have that device. Hope it doesn't dost an arm and a leg.
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 03, 2012
Imanuelle: In as much as i do agree that under-inflated tyres are unsafe, i think i do not agree with the principle of poor road holding.
Breaking should have more effect with a higher surface area contact.

I stand to be corrected tho' :8

He's very correct. An under-inflated tyre has a smaller contact patch - the centre of the tread won't have any road grip, and stopping distances will be considerably longer.
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by Olamyyde(m): 4:41pm On Dec 03, 2012
Minion: ur retardness, inflated tyres are highly dangerous
Hades: minion, if i were u i wouldnt be bothered, this is old news in chemistry, inflated tyres are dangerous, well so are we
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by Nobody: 4:42pm On Dec 03, 2012
iamswizz: After fashola has swept okada off d roads,thereby making vulganizers realise less profits,which has made them switch they're vocations.. So how do pple handle the inflated tyre saga

Fashola don cause wahala for Lagos. Even Okada riders have joined Nairaland with their Engrrisshh cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by Nobody: 4:44pm On Dec 03, 2012
hardbody:

Pray, what is the average life span of a tyre? I have heard 4 years, some have said i can pick it from the tyre itself where it is written ( i dont have that kind of time), i asked a certain mechanic guy and he said 2 years, I gave up on him, so who has the correct answer and provide me with authority please

You don't have "that kind of time", to check something that would take you less than a minute? Considerably less time than it took you to type this?? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by alliswell2(m): 5:03pm On Dec 03, 2012
but under inflated tyres is good to roll in deserts.
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by anishe(m): 6:14pm On Dec 03, 2012
What is the appropriate or ideal tyre guage?
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by sunky644(m): 6:50pm On Dec 03, 2012
Jarus:

Fashola don cause wahala for Lagos. Even Okada riders have joined Nairaland with their Engrrisshh cheesy
Guy; you no nice oooo. You just finish the poor guy with polite insult.
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by warrikid(m): 7:49pm On Dec 03, 2012
anishe: What is the appropriate or ideal tyre guage?
40psi abi na bar sef.
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by jonnex: 8:20pm On Dec 03, 2012
pls, someone to tell me an appropriate tyres gauge {both front and back} for normal cars.
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 03, 2012
jonnex: pls, someone to tell me an appropriate tyres gauge {both front and back} for normal cars.

Bro, honestly there's no straight answer to your query, pressures vary between the same car with different engine options, (more weight) different wheel size etc. So your best option is to look in your Owner's Manual for the correct pressures. There may also be a sticker in your driver's door recess, or the fuel filler flap.

All cars are normal, there's no abnormal car in production, at least none I know of.

1 Like

Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by solhenawo: 8:36pm On Dec 03, 2012
The appropriate tyre gauge is always written on the tyre. Its differs depending on the size of the tyre, ranging from 35psi to 120psi (in truck tyres). So always check ur tyres for the psi required.
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by tyreprotector: 8:51pm On Dec 03, 2012
It is true, under inflated tyres are highly dangerous. You can guard against this by using Tyre Protector sealant, which will also provide Permanent Puncture Protection (PPP).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Automobile Event Data Recorder (EDR) And Its Function / The Reliability Of Mazdas / The Vw/audi Parts Market Iyana Itire.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.