Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,701 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM (8014 Views)

ASWMA Vehicle Spotted With Two Of Its Tyres Missing (photos) / PHOTO: Fully Loaded Cement Truck Spotted Cruising At Lekki With Tyres Missing / Photo: Wrongly Inflated Tyres Can Severely Reduce Your Fuel Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 03, 2012
solhenawo: The appropriate tyre gauge is always written on the tyre. Its differs depending on the size of the tyre, ranging from 35psi to 120psi (in truck tyres). So always check ur tyres for the psi required.

Partly true. The tyre manufacturer will stamp the MAXIMUM permissible pressure the tyre can run at. So let's say a 205/55x16 tyre may have the maximum pressure as 60 psi. That's merely the safety margin, what the tyre was tested at. Now this tyre will be fitted to millions of automobile. They won't be running 50 psi. Automobile weight, suspension settings and power produced will dictate the pressures the tyres should be run at.

For example, let's go with 50 psi. I don't know of any passenger car that runs 50 psi. A powerbike, probably. A Mitsubishi Pajero with 265/70x16 runs 26 psi all round, which is considerably less than the average family sedan with 195/65x15 tyres.

Running over-inflated tyres (50 psi) on a car will chew through that tyre in no time - the centre of the tread will be bald, and in the wet, this tyre will have no grip, you may as well run on your steel rims, because your 50 psi tyres will be just as hard.

So, you're best following your vehicle manufacturer's recommendations at ALL times. It's worth noting manufacturer's have different pressure settings for a car with driver and 1 passenger, and another for 5 occupants AND luggage.

Be safe!

1 Like

Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by Nobody: 9:03pm On Dec 03, 2012
tyreprotector: It is true, under inflated tyres are highly dangerous. You can guard against this by using Tyre Protector sealant, which will also provide Permanent Puncture Protection (PPP).

Lol...I wondered when a marketer would show up. cheesy

How does running that stuff in a tyre guard against under-inflation? Because the risk of under-inflation is excessive heat build up, due to excessive flexing of the tyre sidewall. Which if subjected to a constant speed of let's say, 120 kp/h (highway) will lead to a blow-out! How will that stuff guard against that? Please, educate us.

And for your information, tyre sealant is used as a temporary solution to a nail in a tyre. A puncture from a nail can be fixed. However, with that rubbish in the tyre, the rubber inside the tyre actually dissolves, like melts, becomes soft and slippery. So a tyre that could have been repairable is now only fit for a dumpster, as no patch will stick to it.

You "PPP" is more dangerous than an under-inflated tyre! Because the tyre eventually breaks down from the inside out, leading to eventual blow-out. You're meant to be telling your potential victims that your PPP is a TEMPORARY solution to a puncture, but you don't. Either because you don't know, or are so keen to sell your stuff, you don't care about people's lives.

SMH.
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by tyreprotector: 9:43pm On Dec 03, 2012
Please visit www.tyreprotector.com for clarification, don't just write crap about a product you do not know much about. There are lots of tyre sealants, but there are also very good ones. Please do your research very well. You can also send a mail to tyreprotectorwa@gmail.com for further clarification.
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by Nobody: 10:10pm On Dec 03, 2012
tyreprotector: Please visit www.tyreprotector.com for clarification, don't just write crap about a product you do not know much about. There are lots of tyre sealants, but there are also very good ones. Please do your research very well. You can also send a mail to tyreprotectorwa@gmail.com for further clarification.

If you regard what I've posted as crap, then you have a long way to go. My concerns (and very valid ones) are no different to what a potential client would address. So you'd tell them their concerns / opinions are crap, instead of going out of your way to explain how this "wonder" product works?

In that case, I feel sorry for you.

1 Like

Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by lastpage: 5:43am On Dec 04, 2012
The funny thing is that 97% of Nigerian Vulganizers either use their "Saliva" to gauge your tyre (after pumping it!)

..or use that their useless "Gauge" will will give you ten different readings, if used ten times, on the same tyre!

That one near my street will just inflate the Tyre, hit it with his fist a few times and "declare"
: Oga, e don 'gage' well! angry angry angry

If l ask him how he knew the pressure was the same in all wheels, he would answer by "using his fist to hit each tyre three times" and repeat his declaration once more: Oga, l tell you, all don gagee-faa! grin grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by amdman: 7:22am On Dec 04, 2012
@Siena...

The average Nigerian vulcanizer adopts 45 - 50psi all round regardless of the type of vehicle. For example, my ford explorer manual says I should run 30 - 35psi. But anytime I do that, the tyres look so underinflated, and the sidewall of the tyre seems to be making too much contact with the ground, so the vulcanizer always adopts 50psi. I have queried several of them on this, and responses are either an 'I don't know' or attributed to the bad nature of most of our roads.

But is it proper to compensate for the bad and muddy nature of most of our roads with additional psi? What do you think?
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by ojesymsym: 9:03am On Dec 04, 2012
iamswizz: After fashola has swept okada off d roads,thereby making vulganizers realise less profits,which has made them switch they're vocations.. So how do pple handle the inflated tyre saga

I think you can get ur answer on this thread.
https://www.nairaland.com/1111018/portable-tyre-pumping-machine-brought
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 04, 2012
amdman: @Siena...

The average Nigerian vulcanizer adopts 45 - 50psi all round regardless of the type of vehicle. For example, my ford explorer manual says I should run 30 - 35psi. But anytime I do that, the tyres look so underinflated, and the sidewall of the tyre seems to be making too much contact with the ground, so the vulcanizer always adopts 50psi. I have queried several of them on this, and responses are either an 'I don't know' or attributed to the bad nature of most of our roads.

But is it proper to compensate for the bad and muddy nature of most of our roads with additional psi? What do you think?

I would ALWAYS go by the manufacturer's recommendations. Forget how the sidewalls look. You're not meant to inflate a tyre till it's rock hard (which is what you've done by running 50 psi). Running at 35 psi allows more contact with the ground, which is what you need. It gives you better grip. 50 psi gives a smaller contact patch (the middle of the tread). It impairs handling, and the tyres wear out much quicker.

There is no compensation for road conditions - you should NOT deviate from the manufacturer's recommendations. Don't forget tyres get hotter at highway speeds, and 32 psi when cold will read about 48 psi hot, due to expansion. At 50 psi cold, you could be looking at potentially 69 psi hot, with the risk of blow-out increased. Do you really want to place your life (and that of your family) in the hands of rogue vulcanizers, who feel the manufacturer's of your Ford Explorer know less than they do?

The only times I run lowerer than normal tyre pressures is when I'm competing in a dedicated DTM Race Car, for drag racing this will give more grip. I'll run higher than normal pressures if I'm hill climbing, or doing a track event. But I ALWAYS return the pressures to normal AFTER any events I attend.

1 Like

Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by 9icetoo(m): 3:13pm On Dec 04, 2012
Siena:

Please check your Owner's Manual for the correct pressures. It may also be on a sticker in your driver's door recess, or behind your fuel filler flap.

50 psi in a car tyre? Or do you drive a Mercedes-Benz 911?
grin

1 Like

Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by 9icetoo(m): 3:25pm On Dec 04, 2012
Siena:

He's very correct. An under-inflated tyre has a smaller contact patch - the centre of the tread won't have any road grip, and stopping distances will be considerably longer.
. Shouldn't that be an over inflated tyre? Under inflated tyres to my understanding have a larger surface area in contact with the road surface which sometimes includes the sidewalls.

1 Like

Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by Nobody: 4:05pm On Dec 04, 2012
9icetoo: . Shouldn't that be an over inflated tyre? Under inflated tyres to my understanding have a larger surface area in contact with the road surface which sometimes includes the sidewalls.

An over-inflated tyre will definitely have a smaller contact patch, you're right. But so will an under-inflated one, at least on tarmac.

Over-inflated - centre contact only.
Under-inflated - loss of central contact.

Under-inflation may be desireable if driving on loose sand or snow though.
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by InvertedHammer: 8:43pm On Dec 04, 2012
Jblx: Shoul a front Tyres be kept at thesame preasure guage with the back ones, & what is the normal(45 or 50psi) guage for the Tyres?

Look at the inscription on the tire, it should tell you. Also refer to your vehicle manual or google it. Most times,30- 35psi is all it takes
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 04, 2012
InvertedHammer:

Look at the inscription on the tire, it should tell you. Also refer to your vehicle manual or google it. Most times,30- 35psi is all it takes

That's more like it. The tyre inscription won't tell you what pressure to run at on the vehicle it's fitted to. All that refers to is the MAXIMUM pressure that tyre can safely take, what the tyre was tested to.
Re: Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM by shiftbutton: 9:20pm On Dec 11, 2012
The importance of tyre pressures explained
WRITTEN BY MATT HEALE

Have you ever wondered why tyre pressures are so important? What are the effects of running over or under inflated tyres. Cirencester tyres explains all....

It is important to ensure that your tyres are running at the correct pressure. But why? Take a look at the picture below to get a glimpse of the effects. The diagram is "over exagerated" for illastrative purposes.

From the diagram above you can see that tyre pressures greatly affect the surface area of the tyre that is in contact with the road. With less of the tyre in contact with the road, you are sacrificing grip which inevitably will also increase your braking distance.

Under inflation and over inflation will also affect tyre wear. As you can see in the diagram, an under inflated tyre will wear the inner and outer edges of the tyre and an over inflated tyre is more likely to wear the centre of the tyre.

An under inflated tyre increases the rolling resistance of the tyre. This will have a negative effect on fuel consumption. So if you want to save some pennies and help the environment, ensure you run the correct tyre pressures!

What pressure should my tyres be and how do I know this?

Tyre pressures vary from tyre to tyre, vehicle to vehicle. Most manafactuers will place a sticker on the car. This is normally located inside of one of the doors or on the inside of the fuel cap. Alternatively they will be listed in the owners manual.

Tyre pressures should be checked when the tyre is cold unless otherwise stated. This is because the pressure increases as the tyre heats up. You should check your tyre pressures at least once a month.

http://www.cirencestertyres.co.uk/cirencester-news/8-tyre-pressures

(1) (2) (Reply)

6 Major Causes Of Road Accidents In Nigeria And Tips To Prevent Them / Technology Boom: Germany Launch Transparent Car / Hire Purchase Or Daily Delivery Needed For Mini Bus(korope)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.