Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:35 AM

Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales (14124 Views)

CPC Orders MTN To Pay 1.85m Naira To Promo Winner / CPC Orders MTN To Pay N1.85m To Subscriber / NCC Directs MTN To Scrap 10 Kobo Per Second Plans Effective Midnight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by playmode(m): 2:41pm On Dec 07, 2012
Mobile telecom giant MTN, has put on hold the sale of new sim cards and halted new subscriber add-ons following a directive from the National Communications Authority (NCA).

Per the directive, MTN is to immediately stop selling and adding new SIM cards and subscribers to its network until further notice.

According to the NCA, despite numerous engagements with MTN on issues of its quality of service experienced by consumers on its mobile services, the network performance on MTN continues to deteriorate.

Last month, MTN on several occasions had to apologize to its subscribers after numerous network disruptions.

MTN in a statement to Citi Business News has indicated though it is still engaging the NCA on the matter, it will cooperate with the authority to implement the directive.

The telecom operator assured its customers that every effort was being made to urgently address the recent network challenges in service delivery.

MTN is the largest telecom service provider in the country with over 11 million subscribers in the country.

Below is the full statement from MTN
MTN COMMITS TO RESOLVE RECENT NETWORK CHALLENGES

MTN wishes to assure its valued customers that every effort is being made to urgently address the recent network challenges in service delivery.

MTN is engaging with the National Communications Authority in this regard and will be cooperating with them to implement the recent directive.

We wish to take this opportunity to thank our customers for their continued loyalty whilst assuring them of our commitment to providing them reliable services.

Source: http://www.citifmonline.com/index.php?id=1.1167270
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by playmode(m): 2:46pm On Dec 07, 2012
Ghana continues to show the rest of of Africa how proper and selfless Governance should be.Moderator ,front page please.

8 Likes

Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 07, 2012
That is in a well - run country where their leaders are focused on good governance in contrast to Nigeria whose rulers are largely ravenous wolves!

3 Likes

Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by ben4ever(m): 3:01pm On Dec 07, 2012
i am weeping for my country

3 Likes

Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by luluosas(m): 3:49pm On Dec 07, 2012
Like Nigeria, like Ghana. Everywhere you go, you must complain on MTN.
I think MTN is only interested to be reckoned as the 'biggest' telecoms service provider in any market they find their foot, pushing the issue of quality of service to the dustbin. By the way, is flooding also responsible for their poor services in Ghana that earn them this 'automatic sales ban? I am asking because, MTN Nigeria recently blamed flooding as the reason for their poor service.
Moderators, this is good for front page oh!

5 Likes

Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by pendusky(m): 6:59pm On Dec 07, 2012
Only 11 Million Subscribers in Ghana? Thatz 7x in Nigeria

M-Mobile
T-Thieves in
N-Nigeria...

Every where u go!

6 Likes

Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by OYINBOGOJU(m): 6:59pm On Dec 07, 2012
Our rulers feel too big to learn from Ghana.

All Foreign Companies are parasite to our economy.

3 Likes

Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by Freeopod(m): 6:59pm On Dec 07, 2012
Now that it has made it to the front page wat nxt? *eyes rolling*

1 Like

Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by Series22(m): 7:00pm On Dec 07, 2012
playmode: Ghana continues to show the rest of of Africa how proper and selfless Governance should be.Moderator ,front page please.
shurup.. Dis is a babaric and xenophobic decision.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by ndala(m): 7:00pm On Dec 07, 2012
NIGERIA WILL NEVER LEARN FROM GHANA undecided grin sha am 6th to comment grin
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by greatgod2012(f): 7:01pm On Dec 07, 2012
Nigeria need to learn from Ghana in this respect!

1 Like

Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by sherrylo: 7:03pm On Dec 07, 2012
good for them
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by doofanc: 7:05pm On Dec 07, 2012
Do they really have d right to do that?
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by MajeOfficial: 7:06pm On Dec 07, 2012
LOL when the nigerian government halted their promotions just a few week ago nobody spoke. Ghana does the same thing and you're weeping for NIgeria. Weep for yourself.

20 Likes

Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by Afam4eva(m): 7:06pm On Dec 07, 2012
This is what our country will never do.
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by barapistis(m): 7:07pm On Dec 07, 2012
watin our own ncc dey do nowww
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by excondido(m): 7:07pm On Dec 07, 2012
way to go.....is high time those guys are given the stick.
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by vanstanzy(m): 7:08pm On Dec 07, 2012
ben4ever: i am weeping for my country

I JOIN U IN WEEPING FOR NIGERIA AND ITS INSENSITIVE GOVT. USELESS PRIDE WILL NEVER LET THEM TAKE A CUE FROM EFFECTIVE LEADERSHIP OF GHANA.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by kaysy(m): 7:09pm On Dec 07, 2012
why are people now saying Nigeria this Nigeria that... this news doesn't have anything to criticize Nigeria about

Most of you kindly ask yourselves what u have done to contribute to the development/advancement of this our country Nigeria, tell a lie and let your conscience judge u

Useless fools that wont contribute but will be the first set to criticize

5 Likes

Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by dickhardener: 7:10pm On Dec 07, 2012
Series22: shurup.. Dis is a babaric and xenophobic decision.
so it's true some people are this dull
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by pendusky(m): 7:10pm On Dec 07, 2012
Do i hear Nigeria shld learn from Ghana?

Anyway no Time am Waiting for finale whistle here

https://www.nairaland.com/1124978/miss-nairaland-grand-finale

vote for ITSMODELLA
team#itsmodella

Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by Finland(m): 7:11pm On Dec 07, 2012
Series22: shurup.. Dis is a babaric and xenophobic decision.
What xenophobic about asking for quality? If Nigerian government had made this kinda decisions in the past MTN would have done better than how they do now
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by olupentane(m): 7:12pm On Dec 07, 2012
Not suprised MTN is the worst network of the year....( My 2012 mobile service provider ranking)

1 Like

Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by MajeOfficial: 7:13pm On Dec 07, 2012
The fun thing is if the Nigerian government does this they will complain that the government is wicked.

Nigerian telecommunication operators banned from issuing promotions

Telecommunications operators in Nigeria could face additional fines imposed by Nigerian authorities for poor customer service ratings.

According to the Information and Communications Technology Ministry, operators are not meeting the minimum standards established in the country. Last month the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) banned operators from issuing new promotions or lotteries.

The NCC will lift the ban once the telecom operators’ customer service ratings improve. However, some of the operators in the country simply ignored the NCC’s ban and continued offering promotions to their customers.

“The Commission has, in recent times been inundated with several complaints from consumers and Industry Stakeholders against the various promotions offered by telecommunications operators,” said Tony Ojobo, NCC Director of Public Affairs.

The NCC confirmed that it has been “consistent with its processes” and has “evaluated the complaints received, especially against the backdrop of sustaining the integrity of the networks, general interest of the consumers, the socio-economic impact of these promotions on operators and other relevant stakeholders.”

Operators were previously fined NGN 1.7 billion (US$ 267 million) in May this year for bad service quality.

ICT Minister Omobola Johnson said Nigerian government is working together with the operators in question so as to avoid any future fines, especially in the next six months.

“This ban is with immediate effect and shall continue to remain in force until such a time as may be determined by the Commission,” said the NCC and identified Globacom, MTN, Intercellular, Visafone Comms, Etisalat, Airtel Networks and Multilinks Telecoms as the guilty parties.

http://www.humanipo.com/blog/2739/Nigerian-telecommunication-operators-banned-from-issuing-promotions
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by etudaddy(m): 7:16pm On Dec 07, 2012
MTN --- no 1 telecom criminals in the whole world

1 Like

Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by vislabraye(m): 7:16pm On Dec 07, 2012
They charge us exhorbitant price and yet service is poor. We are their biggest market and they hardly give back to their society.
All you hear is one promo or the other.
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by mrkels(m): 7:17pm On Dec 07, 2012
This is what every government who has its people at heart should do to thieving foreign companies.
This my country self. Seems our ladies get off when they see their people suffer. Who can say that mtn's network in nigeria is super okay? Mtcheeew.
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by seedord247(m): 7:18pm On Dec 07, 2012
pendusky: Do i hear Nigeria shld learn from Ghana?

Anyway no Time am Waiting for finale whistle here

https://www.nairaland.com/1124978/miss-nairaland-grand-finale

vote for ITSMODELLA
team#itsmodella
\
she fight lion?
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by ignis: 7:18pm On Dec 07, 2012
ben4ever: i am weeping for my country
wat for?
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by Akbee(m): 7:18pm On Dec 07, 2012
I wish Nigerian leaders could borrow a leaf from their Ghananian counterparts.mtn management in nigeria has continously exploited their customer without bn penalised.they find pleasure in giving bribes to ur leaders in oda to dictate the tune for them.
our leaders are so much interest in enriching themselves at the expense of the poor masses.Nigeria is a failed state,i swear.Ghana is just a few metres to her promise land.WHO WANTS TO FAULT THE CLAIM THAT NIGERIA IS NO MORE A GIANT OF AFRICA?I BELIEVE NO ONE.gHANA IS ONE.
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by joseff14(m): 7:19pm On Dec 07, 2012
vanstanzy:

I JOIN U IN WEEPING FOR NIGERIA AND ITS INSENSITIVE GOVT. USELESS PRIDE WILL NEVER LET THEM TAKE A CUE FROM EFFECTIVE LEADERSHIP OF GHANA.
PRIDE!! I'm sure u wanted to say BRIBE.
Re: Ghana Orders MTN To Stop Sim Card Sales by MajeOfficial: 7:24pm On Dec 07, 2012
i give up, you people are.....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

[ROM][4.4.2] Xtremevanilla V3 For Infinix Hot Note Pro X551 By YomiTech / Microsoft Considering Bringing Cortana To Android And iOS Devices / Has Anyone Able To Unlock New Airtel Huawei E173u-2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.