Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,349 members, 7,957,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:08 AM

Are The Idomas Igbos - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are The Idomas Igbos (28343 Views)

Middlebelt Zone-Nupes,Idomas,Igalas,Ebiras,Tivs,Kabbas,Biroms,Fulani,Katafs etc / Middle-belt Zones - Nupes, Idomas,igalas, Ebiras, Tivs, Biroms, Katafs Etc / Are The Idomas Igbos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by Abagworo(m): 1:52pm On Nov 07, 2010
All Nigerians are directly or indirectly related but there is still distinct traits like language which separate us.Some Igalas and Idomas are of Igbo origin just like some Igbos are of Igala and Idoma origins.The rearrangement has been done in the past and we should accept our present ethnicity while we tolerate our other brothers.

3 Likes

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by Nobody: 8:05am On Nov 12, 2010
Quite revealing

2 Likes

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by oludashmi(f): 10:08am On Nov 12, 2010
@tomX:

No the Idomas (from Benue State) are not Igbos. But they share a lot of boundaries though. My village borders one of the towns in old Anambra State (either Obolo-Afo or Obolo-Eke) we have similar market days and some names (like Ada, Onuche, Ede, Eke). There has been a lot of inter tribal marraiges naturaly and inter town trades on market days. But the tribes are different.

@tomX:

Thr Igbos in Rivers State and Delta State still speak Igbo (or at least a semblance of it). There is no distinguishable similarity between the Idoma dialect and that of the Igbo's however. Having some similar names is not a proof of similar ancestry. Tribes can sample names from neighbouring tribrs. There are similiarities between Idoma names and Tiv Names (eg Ako/Akor) and with the Igalas (of present Kogi State) (eg Idoko, Eje). Should all these neighbouring tribes also lay claim to the Idomas?
Whatever similarities that can be observed is due to cultural exchange between both tribes.
Will it make sense to deem the English as being of French origin because a lot of English words and names have French origins?

@tomX:

The village in question is my village. It's name is Owukpa. Its part of the New Ogbadigbo LGA. We even have alot of Igbos livin there but trust me we don't speak Igbo as a primary language. It's a language we learnt from our neigbhours and we use it to comunicate with them and not to ourselves. I speak fluent Hausa but that does not make me hausa. I've started picking up yoruba as well since I live in Lagos.

Everyone should be proud of their tribes but no one should annex another tribe (you guys are not Sadam afterall).
Gbam!
You have said well.

excanny:

Are you Idoma, or a[b] Benue Igbo[/b]? there's some mix-up in your post.
This boy, you are here again . . .which one be Benue-igbo? Very soon you will have Yoruba-igbo, Hausa-igbo, Fulani-igbo, Kanuri-igbo and the list goes until you have Ghana-igbo, Saudi Arabia-igbo. . hisses . . .

2 Likes

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by excanny: 10:32am On Nov 12, 2010
oludashmi:

[/color]
[color=#000099]This boy, you are here again . . .which one be Benue-igbo? Very soon you will have Yoruba-igbo, Hausa-igbo, Fulani-igbo, Kanuri-igbo and the list goes until you have Ghana-igbo, Saudi Arabia-igbo. . hisses . . .

Shior. jealousy!
Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by kech(f): 11:08am On Nov 12, 2010
Ehen, this is what I like to see on Nairaland. Healthy arguments with no insults. The poster asked a simple question and I'm glad no Idoma is taking offence. I've learnt quite a few about the Idomas with these few posts.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by kech(f): 11:11am On Nov 12, 2010
@ Oludashmi, relax. Everything doesn't have to be a fight with the Igbos. The Idomas have answered the question. No need for all this "defender of the universe" ish.

4 Likes

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by Obiagu1(m): 3:45am On Nov 13, 2010
To the Igbos, Eri had two wives, namely Nneamaku and Oboli.
Nneamaku begot five children: Nrifikwuanim-Menri (Nri) the first son, Agulu, Ogbodudu, Onogu and Iguedo the only daughter.
Oboli begot Onoja, the only son who founded the Igala Kingdom.

To some scholars, Idoma have ties with the Igala people, concluding that the two nations came from a common ancestor. Many traditional Idoma spiritual chants and “secret” tongues spoken during traditional ceremonies are actually Igala dialects.

The fact that the Igbo, Igala, and Idoma have so many similar sounding names is not a coincidence or influence of one over the other because such number of similar names with similar meanings is astonishing. Not to talk of very similar cultures and market days.

The fact is that Nri-Igbo and Igala diverged with Igala having a marked influence from Egbira, Yoruba, and others. Idoma on the other hand may have been shielded from Yoruba influence by the Igala but have influences from the Jukun.

The Igbo and Idoma, to me, are two parallel ethnic groups because their languages are no longer the same but I have to concede that I don’t understand Idoma, hence can’t say exactly how similar or dissimilar the two are.

4 Likes

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by ezeagu(m): 6:18pm On Nov 13, 2010
oludashmi:

Gbam!
You have said well.

This boy, you are here again . . .which one be Benue-igbo? Very soon you will have Yoruba-igbo, Hausa-igbo, Fulani-igbo, Kanuri-igbo and the list goes until you have Ghana-igbo, Saudi Arabia-igbo. . hisses . . .

Since when did Benue become an ethnic group like Yoruba? What language is Benue?

2 Likes

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by poweredcom(m): 1:56am On Nov 16, 2010
TRUTH BRO,

All Nigerians are directly or indirectly related but there is still distinct traits like language which separate us.Some Igalas and Idomas are of Igbo origin just like some Igbos are of Igala and Idoma origins.The rearrangement has been done in the past and we should accept our present ethnicity while we tolerate our other brothers.
Idomas aint Igbos

I am an igala boi , bu we share close border with delta, Edo state,  and if you take a speed boat for 100Naira you will get to Onitsha, our culture is similar to Igbos even the day the marlet is counted, you see we are all related . no body should tagg any Igala or Idoma man a northerner, at all.its just politricks,

In Anambra North area they have Igala Ancestary

ADUGE Oyi LGA
IGALA Anambra LGA
IGBO Anambra State, Aguata, Anambra, Awka, Idemili, Ihiala, Njikoka, Nnewi, and Onitsha LGA's

in ebu Area of Delta north Oshimili LGA Illah, Ezi, Ebu,,these community have Igala ancestary somehow
Aint Igbos but you should know some of them including IGALAS That live whithin the borders on Enugu and Anambra, have similar culture , that shows we are one, by roots , ok you knw Igbor r infulential in businss so an Igala or Idoma person live in Onitsha, for long and does business with igbos he tend to look like igbos

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by ezeagu(m): 1:33am On Nov 17, 2010
poweredcom:

TRUTH BRO,
Idomas aint Igbos

I am an igala boi , bu we share close border with delta, Edo state,  and if you take a speed boat for 100Naira you will get to Onitsha, our culture is similar to Igbos even the day the marlet is counted, you see we are all related . no body should tagg any Igala or Idoma man a northerner, at all.its just politricks,

In Anambra North  area they have Igala Ancestary

ADUGE Oyi LGA
IGALA Anambra LGA
IGBO Anambra State, Aguata, Anambra, Awka, Idemili, Ihiala, Njikoka, Nnewi, and Onitsha LGA's

in ebu Area of Delta north Oshimili LGA  Illah, Ezi, Ebu,,these community have Igala ancestary somehow
Aint Igbos but you should know some of them including IGALAS That live whithin the borders on Enugu and Anambra, have similar culture , that shows we are one, by roots , ok you knw Igbor r infulential in businss so an Igala or Idoma person live in Onitsha, for long and does business with igbos he tend to look like igbos

Eri counted the market days and the children of Nri, Eri's son founded Idah. The Igala royalty trace their roots to Nri. The Igala probably 'gave birth' to the Yoruba as well.
Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by PhysicsQED(m): 3:32am On Nov 17, 2010
ezeagu:

Eri counted the market days and the children of Nri, Eri's son founded Idah. The Igala royalty trace their roots to Nri. The Igala probably 'gave birth' to the Yoruba as well.

You say a lot of strange things.
Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by ezeagu(m): 3:34am On Nov 17, 2010
PhysicsQED:

You say a lot of strange things.

What's strange?
Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by amazonia(m): 4:16am On Nov 17, 2010
IGALA.

Decoding the word Igala in Edo,

IGA----------TO protect IGAGA---------Protecting. protection

LA------------pass, passage, so, igala is "the protectors of certain passage"
in antiquity. A warrior group. Usually as a result of ancient society's need
for defense. Like the Itsekiri, which means --- Answer to my wish or answer
to my prayer. They were formed as a group in ancient time for strategic coastal need of the greater societies.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by aljharem(m): 4:31am On Nov 17, 2010
idomas are not igbos

they are edo people
Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by amazonia(m): 4:51am On Nov 17, 2010
alj harem:

idomas are not igbos

they are edo people

You are right. IDOMA in EDO

IDO------- trade, doing, a place away from home

MA-------- Good

so, idoma means ------ A good trading place/ my home away from home is good./ a place for trading for betterment.

1 Like

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by excanny: 6:36am On Nov 17, 2010
Hahaha,

Amazonia, the Edo codec.

How is Amazonia coded in Edo?

1 Like

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by amazonia(m): 9:29am On Nov 17, 2010
excanny:

Hahaha,

Amazonia, the Edo codec.

How is Amazonia coded in Edo?

Amazonia is not Edo word, can't be decode in Edo
It is coded in English i suppose, relating to S. America amazon, i guess.
This is just an assume name, have nothing to do with me.

I do etymologise words in other languages, other than edo.

1 Like

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by abagoro(m): 10:23am On Nov 17, 2010
A little comedy based on amazonias theory.
In Igbo language

Ido - To keep

Oma - good or well

Idoma - to keep well.

Iga - to go

Igala? - question-did you not go?

Bini- Idu - Leader

Yoruba - onyeruoba - oba's worker

Oduduwa-oduwa-their leader

Oyo - beggar

Ife - to worship

2 Likes

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by amazonia(m): 3:41pm On Nov 17, 2010
@ Abagoro

We do have some words meanings in common.

Oma----it is good, is well, is allright

Ma------Good, fine, allright etc.

Sometime, you have to develop a provenus
in context of the word, to explain why it means what you profess it to be.
There is no doubt our words are of the same root.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by poweredcom(m): 11:50pm On Nov 17, 2010

I am no sure Igala gave birth o Yoruba oo pls,,,ooo

idomas are not igbos

they are edo people
grin grin grin edo kor do e r ni idoma is atribe that came out from Igalas

IDU -Gave Birth
O MA - to a child in igala dialect

I DO MA-Gve birth to a child

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by Obiagu1(m): 5:15pm On Aug 25, 2012
Do you know that more than half of both Igala and Idoma are Southerners and not Northerners?
They were not originally in Northern Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by osk4: 11:41am On Jan 27, 2013
The history of Nigeria is the history of movement and fusion of peoples. This fusion is witnessed daily in: 1.Tribal borderline villages where intertribal mariages have been taking place for decades; 2. As a consequence of migration of individuals or group from one tribe to another tribe and setlement therein and resultant intermariages that ensures with time; 3. Migration from all trbes of Nigeria to the cosmopolitan cities where all congrigate to seek a living through employment in government or engage in business of one form or another. This has been going on from the colonial and post colonial era. Chidren brought up together, irrespective of their tribes intermarry. With time tribal identity will fade away and Nigeria will become a homogineous indivisible country that all inhabitants will be proud to indentify with and tribal identity will be ancient history.

3 Likes

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by ebucha: 11:38am On Oct 03, 2013
Obiagu1: Do you know that more than half of both Igala and Idoma are Southerners and not Northerners?
They were not originally in Northern Nigeria.
true talk
Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by Agrika: 2:16pm On Oct 25, 2013
I was once told by someone that the part of anambra i come from were originally from the present day igalas/idomas.....i have so many friends who bear igbotic surnames like obute, Agu, Obi, Ada....i think it all started with the Civil war

1 Like

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by Ikengawo: 3:42am On Aug 20, 2014
amazonia:

You are right. IDOMA in EDO

IDO------- trade, doing, a place away from home

MA-------- Good

so, idoma means ------ A good trading place/ my home away from home is good./ a place for trading for betterment.

sounds igbo to me
Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by Truthislife: 11:15am On Sep 29, 2015
darfur:
he he he heeee, another "igbo origin" thread grin grin grin grin

igbo people go do strike for nairaland o o o grin grin grin haba.

israel, then egypt, some say east africa, some even said afghanistan, usbekistan, lol grin

now idoma grin

others say the black americans are igbos, some say jamaicans . . igbo this, igbo that grin grin grin if no where they came from, it is where they went. haba grin
used to get me angry, then it got me mad, then makes me wonder, now it makes me laugh grin grin grin grin

In that case You don mad be that. You just exposed your lack of knowledge of history. Daft
Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by Truthislife: 11:31am On Sep 29, 2015
aljharem:
idomas are not igbos

they are edo people

Please the are not Edoid in anyway. You people come up here to depict and expose the limits of your knowledge publicy. Just like Edoid, Igboid, Defoid (Yoruboid), Idomoid is a classification of its own which includes other languages and ethnic groups. Idoma proper is closely related to Igbo more, than to the very far distant Bini. All these stories/legends of origin and migration are very oral and fabrications whose realities on ground oppose. As for Igala, they have a mixture of Igboid/Edoid/Yoruboid/Nupoid. It might have been the dispersal point of these groups or a meeting center of the 4 groups. Edoid and Igboid on the other hand have a lot of words in common, most especially the Ishan and to considerable extent the binis. More research is being done on the Historical interraction of Edo and Igbo

2 Likes

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by Truthislife: 12:10pm On Sep 29, 2015
oludashmi:

Gbam!
You have said well.

There are Igbo clans and communities scattered in 4 southern Local Government Areas of Benue south. These Igbos are related to Izi-Ezaa-Ikwo-Mgbo-Effium, the others are a branch of Nsukka (Adada people). They are found in parts of Ado Local Government Area (parts of Agila, Igumale, Ijigban and Ulayi Districts), Obi Local Government Area (parts of Ito and Worku Districts), Ogbadibo Local Government Area (parts of Orukpa District) and Okpokwu Local Government Area (parts of Edumoga and Okwoga Districts). Notable among the clans are Nwaezeokoha and Nwaezeoka clans etc.

4 Likes

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by Truthislife: 12:18pm On Sep 29, 2015
ezeagu:

Since when did Benue become an ethnic group like Yoruba? What language is Benue?
Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by Truthislife: 12:21pm On Sep 29, 2015
oludashmi:

Gbam!
You have said well.

In addition, there's even a town in the heart of Idomaland in Adoka District, Oturkpo Local Government Area of Benue State called Umuogidi

3 Likes

Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by tonychristopher: 12:40pm On Sep 29, 2015
Hero:
Why would those groups deny being Igbo? Is being Igbo seen as a bad thing in Naija or something?

Why don't ask your father that question
Re: Are The Idomas Igbos by ikennaj44: 11:18am On Nov 22, 2015
Mortiple:
Wikipedia - the free encyclopedia reveals that "Their ancestors are from Igboland", talking about the Idomas.

In my opinion, I do not think the totality of Idomas are Igbos. However, some Igbo communities may have erroneously been carved into Benue State during state creations.

I must confess that the Idomas have proven to be good neighbours of Ndigbo overtime. They are perhaps one of few, if not the only Igbo neighbours that identify with us.

Unfortunately, many Igbo communities that are in South South and even in South East have consistently denied their Igbo origin. For example, the people of Asaba, Onitsha, Ogbaru, Ukwuani, Ikwere, Etche, Egbema, Uguta, Agbor etc. These only claim to be Igbos when it is convenient. By the way who cares? Igbos are more than enough! Igbo Kwenu!
Kwenu!! Kwezuonu!!!

you pathological liar of this century, you are not an igbo person, and can you give us a link where onitsha or ogbaru or Asaba people etc denied being igbo?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hollywood High School Hosts Ooni Of Ife In USA(photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi Visits Fashola In His Abuja Residence. Photos / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.