Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,719 members, 7,813,370 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

(question) Australia To U.s.a - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / (question) Australia To U.s.a (861 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

(question) Australia To U.s.a by OmichaelO: 6:07pm On Dec 10, 2012
Question: I was wondering why planes travelling from Australia to United States of America do take such a long route i.e like from Australia the plane travels across the continents of the world e.g Asia,Europe,and probably africa then to it's final destination which north America(USA).

NOW THIS IS MY POINT, THE WORLD IS SPHERICAL..why can't the plane just pass new Zealand,fiji,kiribati maybe Hawaii then to USA..

Is there a law guiding it or its the fear of bermuda triangle or some other factors? wink

Hoping to get replies
Re: (question) Australia To U.s.a by OmichaelO: 6:10pm On Dec 10, 2012
I don't mind if the moderators here could kindly modify and help move to front page..Thanks
Re: (question) Australia To U.s.a by omega25red(m): 6:49pm On Dec 10, 2012
It's all in the distance

australia to California for example is 8,204 miles
Australia to New york for example is 9,935 miles

now the difference between cali and nyc is 2,918.5 miles

now if you lived in nyc im sure you wouldn't want them to fly the route you suggested because it would be way more and if you lived in cali im sure you should be able to get a flight going in the direction you suggested with no issue.
Re: (question) Australia To U.s.a by OmichaelO: 7:31pm On Dec 10, 2012
@omega thanks.
So that means flights take that route? And since the flight is taking back(i mean new zealand,fiji n hawaii maybe) i think it should be shorter than the regular route,which is flying across the continent.
Re: (question) Australia To U.s.a by fittty(m): 8:05pm On Dec 10, 2012
Hmmmmm. Interesting
Re: (question) Australia To U.s.a by omega25red(m): 8:40pm On Dec 10, 2012
O.michael.O:
@omega thanks.
So that means flights take that route? And since the flight is taking back(i mean new zealand,fiji n hawaii maybe) i think it should be shorter than the regular route,which is flying across the continent.
the distance doesn't change either way.

if a flight that came to NYC from Australia is going back, it wouldn't fly across the u.s just to pass Fiji New Zealand etc to get back home. That will take longer. Basically the flights will go back the way they came.
Re: (question) Australia To U.s.a by OmichaelO: 12:56pm On Jan 20, 2013
omega25red: the distance doesn't change either way.

if a flight that came to NYC from Australia is going back, it wouldn't fly across the u.s just to pass Fiji New Zealand etc to get back home. That will take longer. Basically the flights will go back the way they came.
hmm.. I dont believe that...
Re: (question) Australia To U.s.a by princeonx: 3:51am On Jan 21, 2013
That is even too far! They can fly to Oshodi, then turn left onto Yaba, then fly all the way to Ajegunle before heading to Australia! Lol! Una dey try oh!
When I travel, I only check the travel time, my layover period/time, and when I can arrive my destination quicker/on time! Watin concern me with flying across Fiji and Alaska? If we were flying across India and the pilot anouce that we are now flying across China, how will I know the difference? Look out the window! Please!

1 Like

Re: (question) Australia To U.s.a by OmichaelO: 11:28pm On Jan 21, 2013
prince_onx: That is even too far! They can fly to Oshodi, then turn left onto Yaba, then fly all the way to Ajegunle before heading to Australia! Lol! Una dey try oh!
When I travel, I only check the travel time, my layover period/time, and when I can arrive my destination quicker/on time! Watin concern me with flying across Fiji and Alaska? If we were flying across India and the pilot anouce that we are now flying across China, how will I know the difference? Look out the window! Please!
lol
I know right, but still curiosity is still at work in me!!

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian In Dubai / Can't Find My Vfs Collection Slip / What Kind Of Jobs Available For Nigerians In US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.