Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Land Use Act: A Monster Crippling Housing Development. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Land Use Act: A Monster Crippling Housing Development. (1173 Views)

My 1985 Ouster Caused Crippling Of Naira —Buhari / Agbaje’s Firm Owes N1.6m Land Use Charge – Fashola / The 1978 Nigerian Land Use Act (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Land Use Act: A Monster Crippling Housing Development. by Gbawe: 8:08am On Dec 12, 2012
Land Use Act: A monster crippling housing development
on DECEMBER 12, 2012 · in FEATURES
12:50 am

By JUDE NJOKU

The ACT

THE Land Use Act vests all land in the territory of a State on the Governor of that State, and vests the Governor with the power to grant statutory right of occupancy to persons. It prohibits the alienation of a statutory right of occupancy without the consent of the Governor.

The Act is made up of eight parts of fifty-one sections. It addresses four important issues arising from the former land tenure systems in Nigeria: The problem of lack of uniformity in the laws governing land-use and ownership; the issue of uncontrolled speculation in urban land; the question of access to land rights by Nigerians on equal legal basis; and the issue of fragmentation of rural lands arising from either the application of traditional principles of inheritance or population growth and the consequent pressure on land.

The Act altered the existing land laws in the Southern part of the country as it removed corporate groups, families and chiefs from the trusteeship of land and replaced them with the State Governor.

While on the one hand urban lands were placed under the control and management of the Governor of the State with a ‘Land Use and Allocation Committee’ as an advisory body, on the other, ‘other lands’ were placed under the control and management of the Local Government in which the land is situated with ‘the Land Allocation Advisory Committee’

MR. CHRIS Okechukwu works with a Shipping company in Lagos. He bought a piece of land from a family at Isheri Oshun,off the Lagos-Badagry expressway a few years ago and was in the process of developing it when the Government masquerading under the Law Use Act, confiscated the property.

Okechukwu who got a notice from his landlord to quit his three-bedroom accommodation ruminated over the loss and told Vanguard Features, VF that he would have packed into his own apartment long ago but for the seizure of the land without compensation because he didn’t have a certificate of occupancy, C of O. There are many Nigerians in Okechukwu’s shoes in various parts of the country who have lost their land, courtesy of this 34 year-old legislation.

The 1978 Land Use Act is unarguably one of the most contentious legislations in the Nigeria today. The law which seeks to regulate ownership of land was the brainchild of the immediate past president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo when he first presided over Nigeria as a Military dictator between 1975 and 1979.

In a bid to retain the law in the statute books even after he had left office, the Obasanjo-led Supreme Military Council made the Land Use Decree an integral part of the Constitution which he handed over to the Alhaji Shehu Shagari-led Federal Government.

Since then, the Act which is seen as the greatest clog in the wheel of housing development in the country, has remained part of the constitution, despite sustained efforts by built environment stakeholders to have it expunged and reviewed so as to make access to land for housing and other developmental initiatives, less cumbersome

Drawbacks

The Act, as implemented by the government of most states, according to Mr. Joseph Osakwe, a Fellow of the Nigerian Economic Society, has become a source of political and social abuse. Most importantly, it has given rise to unprecedented corruption in the Ministry that processes the Certificate of Occupancy.

“The level of corruption starts from the messenger that carries applicants’ files and rises to the level of Permanent Secretary in the Ministry. The Governor gives the final approval. In the states, social miscreants who call themselves Omo Oniles particularly in the South-West states, insist on having their share before any meaningful construction work can be done, to the detriment of the land owners.

C of O at mercy of government

As a result, the process of obtaining the C of O is not only time-consuming but also unduly expensive. Meanwhile, citizens who have C of O are generally at the mercy of government which frequently uses the document as an instrument of generating revenues, which can be increased at will,” he said.

Continuing, he noted that some state governments have introduced new Land Use Decrees which could circumvent the provisions of the Land Use Act 1987 and attempt to persuade all those who were under 1978 Act to embrace the new law.

“Since the various state governments have grossly abused the implementation of the 1978 Act, such that the law can no longer tackle the problems it was intended to solve before 1978, the Act should be removed from the constitution and abolished,” he said, adding that the country should return to the pre-1978 status.

A Lagos-based Estate Surveyor and Valuer, Mr. Stephen Jagun argued that there would be no meaningful growth in the real sector if land continues to be under the firm grips of state governors

“Land has become so expensive because unlike what used to obtain, you could buy a piece of land from either the community, an individual or from even a company and you go and register that title at the Land Registry. Once it is registered, it becomes a bankable document. Today, it is not so; you go and pay the usual fee and you take the document that they give to you and the survey plan to the government who will then issue you a certificate of occupancy, C of O.

At the end of it all, it is just double payment, and the C of O is a document that one waits for ages for. The whole process has failed. The Military which promulgated the Land Use Decree said the reason they did so was to make land accessible to more Nigerians than before. But from our own experience, the reverse has been the case.

Fewer people now have access to land. Instead of the variety of supply that we had, now we have only one supplier, that is the government. Once the supply is restricted, the effect is an increase in price. The principal beneficiary of the Land Use Act is the Governor and nobody else,” he said.
Re: Land Use Act: A Monster Crippling Housing Development. by RichDad1(m): 11:04am On Dec 12, 2012
The Military which
promulgated the Land Use Decree said the reason they
did so was to make land accessible to more Nigerians
than before. But from our own experience, the reverse has been the case.
GBAM!!!
Re: Land Use Act: A Monster Crippling Housing Development. by Gbawe: 11:20am On Dec 12, 2012
Rich Dad:
GBAM!!!

My brother, much as I don't want to personalise issues, I see the pervasively dictatorial and Oligarchic mien of the old Military boys (OBJ et al) and the continuation of their continuous background influence, through corruptly empowered 'democratic' stooges throughout history (Shagari, Yar Adua, GEJ et al), as the reason the retrogressive 1978 Land use decree has not been abrogated or at least amended as we speak today.
Re: Land Use Act: A Monster Crippling Housing Development. by Nobody: 11:26am On Dec 12, 2012
if the government holds firm grip of the land and the Act cannot be abolished then state governments should be ready to provide housing schemes
Re: Land Use Act: A Monster Crippling Housing Development. by Nobody: 9:20am On Dec 14, 2012
I'm shocked that a topic like this did not make front page. What on EARTH are the mods doing?

@ topic, I am for the scrapping of the Land Use Act, but I think we should ask ourselves some important questions. If the old land tenure system was scrapped 34 years ago, then there must have been a reason. We should weigh the pros and cons, compare with what advanced nations are doing and work out a solution that best suits present-day realities.

Mods, front page please.
Re: Land Use Act: A Monster Crippling Housing Development. by Gbawe: 9:36am On Dec 14, 2012
HNosegbe: I'm shocked that a topic like this did not make front page. What on EARTH are the mods doing?

@ topic, I am for the scrapping of the Land Use Act, but I think we should ask ourselves some important questions. If the old land tenure system was scrapped 34 years ago, then there must have been a reason. We should weigh the pros and cons, compare with what advanced nations are doing and work out a solution that best suits present-day realities.

Mods, front page please.

Well said. A middle ground option is the solution in my opinion. I.e amend the 1978 Land use decree and make it less unwieldy and more able to meet the land use requirement of Nigeria today. The problem, as with everything else, is that leaders play politics with important issues. I especially agree with you that we should look at models that work seamlessly elsewhere where land ownership can be easily established and the transfer of ownership is a straightforward process.
Re: Land Use Act: A Monster Crippling Housing Development. by OmoTier1(m): 9:40am On Dec 14, 2012
Gbawe
With all due respect, I think you really have not updated yourself with the most current events in regards to Land use acts in most states. The use of GIS in most states is yielding very positive results and C of Os are now being processed much faster. Compare to here in England, the cost of processing land ownership in Nigeria is still very cheap.

As for the Act itself, I think it has many positives, but with most good policy in Nigeria, there are very few honest and trustworthy individuals that can implement them for the good of the citizens. The part that vest the trustee of lands ownership on the governor is one good part of the Act that has been abused by many governors.

Again one of the reasons C of Os can sometime take longer to obtain is because the said land could already have several C of Os in the name of different individuals without a proper change of name or title deeds , others could be due to notice of fraudulent attempt by the wrongful person to sell the land with forged certificate of occupancy.

(1) (Reply)

Presidency Feeding Budget Higher Than Capital Allocation For 10 Police Colleges / Oil Subsidy Removal - Not On The Table - Presidency / Abia: When Evidence Marks The End Of Argument

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.