Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,363 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:19 AM

Nysc Should Be Scrapped! - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Nysc Should Be Scrapped! (2350 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nysc Should Be Scrapped! by Quesera: 3:18pm On Feb 15, 2008
[b]The good intention of the Gowon administration to unify the Northern & Southern regions of Nigeria is gradually bringing pain to families.

A total of 13 students have been recorded to have lost their lives while on camp. Some of these corpers met their fate while being reprimanded for leaving their camps, some collapsed during Drilling sessions while others on other occasions not mentioned.

Some Corpers have been exposed to harsh weather conditions which culminated to partial deformity. Some have been left at the mercy of regional crisis while some have remained unemployed for years, after graduation.

Why don't 'They' let Graduates start job-hunting immediately after Graduation?

I know a Department that could not have it's graduands 'called up' for service because the results to a Course went missing. After months of fixing the problem, the graduands missed out for service that year.

They spent more than a year waiting to be mobilized for Service.
Imagine what the delay put on them through!

Dear Nairalander, i don't know what your opinion is. For me, NYSC SHOULD BE SCRAPPED![/b] angry

Re: Nysc Should Be Scrapped! by sequencel(m): 7:59pm On Feb 15, 2008
There is no scheme in this world that would have a disadvantages without some advantages,i would not support the scrapping of the scheme rather it should be reorganised.The motive and objective of the scheme is okay,but the Nigeria factor have really affected the scheme.
1)Many graduates now went to the NYSC office in Abuja to influence their posting:blame NYSC official that engage in such act
2)The money emark for the feeding allowance of corps member on camp are shortchanges:blame the NYSC official
3)Many corps member are not ready to face any little hardship to acquire a certificates:blame we the youth of today.
4)The camp and the turnout of graduates increases while goverment made no effort to create room for expansion:blame the goverment.
Please did you know that if the government make the scheme voluntary,lot of graduates would still want to go for the service,because jobs are not available outside
Many graduates have benefitted from the scheme despites the problem been face by corpers
1)some are retain in their place of primary assignment.
2)some learn the basic skill for enterpreneurship:I personally benefited from the lecture received during the orientation course.
3)some have an exprience of a life time travelling to other part of the country,where they have never visited.
4)some meet new friends that have change thier life.
Lot of advantages which cannot be stated here,i think it high time the government overhaul the scheme, flush out the bad eggs among the staff of NYSC,that is my personal opinion
Re: Nysc Should Be Scrapped! by IykeD(m): 10:20pm On Feb 15, 2008
Let it be for say three months, one full year is not just a good idea.Period!
Re: Nysc Should Be Scrapped! by vowiski(m): 4:01pm On Feb 17, 2008
undecided!
Re: Nysc Should Be Scrapped! by nastydamus(m): 8:38pm On Feb 17, 2008
I feel exactly as I've always felt. Yar Adua should scrap the programme without thinking twice. A waste of good time and resources if you'd ask me O!
Re: Nysc Should Be Scrapped! by aahmed112: 1:35pm On Feb 18, 2008
Unemployment wud actually b worse if u ask me. A lot of graduates have gotten into big organisations via the NYSC scheme, cos conditions r more relaxed, and they use the period leading up to graduation from the scheme to showcase their capabilities, which in 60-65% of cases, earns them a permanent employment.

If everybody out der were 2 jus jump out of university and face all the scrutiny (2:1, foreign trained, OND/HND, masters). . .it wud b quite bad. I agree wit sequencel, reorganisation is probably what we need.

There should medical reports certifying graduands fit for the paramilitary routines at camp. There should also be good structures that draft in certain number of graduands to different sectors of the respective states, where they serve. It needs a total overhaul, period!!

(1) (Reply)

Looking For A Place Of PPA @ Anambra State, Can U Help? / How To Make Passive Income In Niger State As A Serving NYSC Corper / NYSC Batch B Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.