Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary (22669 Views)

President Buhari Explains Why NYSC Is Necessary / 5 Reasons Why NYSC Should Not Be Scrapped / NYSC May Soon Be Voluntary DG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 25, 2015
1. ONLY THE YOUNG PAY THE PRICE, WHY?

Like the song, I have always wanted to be young and free. But to escape the rigor of NYSC, I needed to be a little more than that.
Why is it that only the Young pay the price?
I am 23 Years, apparently if I was just 7 years older, I wouldn’t be going through this Unnecessary Scheme.

How I wish I was Older

2. TO MANY UNCALCULATED RISKS

We Corp Members get involved in Road accidents, Election Violence, Bomb Explosion, Community fight, Religious Fights, Ethnic fights, and so on. It’s pitiable that only a few get noticed.
Our roads are more than bad. Corp Members risk too much when they embark on that 25 Hours long road trip to their state of deployment. Who bears this risk?
We risk too much by living in Adamawa, Sokoto, Maiduguri, Borno, Jos, Abuja, in fact anywhere that have recorded any form of terrorist attach in the last 5 Years.
It’s a pity some of our colleagues have died in road accidents and terrorist attacks.

NYSC is not worth our lives. we want out!

3. MANDATING NYSC INCONSISTENT WITH LIBERAL RIGHTS

The above is too much English. Let me explain in literal terms.
As a citizen, I am expected to be Law-Abiding. I am encouraged (not forced) to vote and to render voluntary service.
The act of Mandating National Youth Service before my rights of citizenship are extended is simply contrary to the purpose for which the country was founded and has endured.

My right to employment and contesting government offices shouldn’t be subject to my NYSC status.

It is wrong. THIS IS WRONG

4. MANDATING NATIONAL SERVICE DRAINS ITS VIRTUE

Why is it called National Youth Service in the first instance? It should be more like “Mandatory National Service”
We have to understand that for an Act to be Patriotic, it has to be voluntary. If it is required, it becomes nothing special.

5. NATIONAL SERVICE DISTRACTS US FROM OUR CAREER

To many of us, the one (1) Year National service is a big distraction to our career. Many of us go through the One year scheme and become rusty intellectual wise. No real challenge, we just sit and teach Primary 2 Kids all year long.

6. INCREASE IN IMMORALITY

Don’t be surprised.
The Service year unfortunately brings out the beast in our Youths as many of us see the NYSC year as a Jolli period where we go at the world. Little wonder there have been recurring cases of Corp Members impregnating their infant students.
But an Idle hand they say is the devil’s workshop.
Are Corp Members That Idle? YES THEY ARE! YES WE ARE!!!

7. WE ARE BAD TEACHERS, BAD ROLE MODELS

All thanks to the government’s questionable posting policy where 90% of corp members nationwide have been confined to the 4 walls of a classroom. Corp members now call the shots in the Nation’s most critical part of the economy.
This leaves the schools, students, parents and community at the mercy of quack, Hot, unfit and unprofessional educators.
Little wonder our students keep failing WAEC.

8. IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE

How much do the government (State and Federal) spend on the seemingly unnecessary Programme.
I might not be so good at mathematics, but I can come with a rough estimate of about #350K on each corp member. Multiply that by close to a hundred thousand graduates that go through the scheme a year and you’ll have a feel of how much money the government is not getting value for.

Tax payer’s money they call it.

9. NYSC SHOULDN’T STOP US FROM LIVING

The above appear far fetched. Well it’s not.
How do you explain your absence at your Father’s burial?
How do you explain missing your own wedding? NYSC Head Count? HELL NO!!!
How do you explain loosing your Job?

That we are young graduates doesn’t mean we don’t have responsibilities. We have aging mothers to take care of; We have a Boy/Girl that calls us Daddy. We have siblings to look after;
We are sorry if we are unwilling to pack our bags to Kebbi. For some of us, Family comes first not the government. SORRY!!!

10. WE ARE TIRED

Tired of the peanut you pay us?
Tired of the ridiculously irritating houses you call NYSC Camps.
Tired of the ridiculous food you serve in camps.
Tired of the uncalculated risks
Tired of the double standards. The rich and famous don’t appear in Camps, they get their Certificates notwithstanding.
Tired of paying your staffs to Influence our Posting
Tired of loosing our Jobs, only to get the NYSC Certificate and start looking for them again.
Tired of Holding only the Young Ransom
We are Indeed Tired of the unnecessary scheme.

cc Seun, Yokiti, CrazyMan, Ogbeche77.

111 Likes 23 Shares

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Rosemary216(f): 9:54am On Aug 25, 2015
I agree wit dat num 2, bt who wants 2listen??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 10:11am On Aug 25, 2015
Rosemary216:

We will make them!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Rosemary216(f): 10:45am On Aug 25, 2015
taiwolusol:

We will make them!
gud.. Hws dat gonna hapn?? Last tym i checked, dis z Nigeria whr d youths/kids are always told dat dey are d leaders of 2moro! Bt d leaders of yestaday are still leaders of 2day nd also leaders of 2moro!

17 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 11:37am On Aug 25, 2015
Rosemary216:
gud.. Hws dat gonna hapn?? Last tym i checked, dis z Nigeria whr d youths/kids are always told dat dey are d leaders of 2moro! Bt d leaders of yestaday are still leaders of 2day nd also leaders of 2moro!
Hahahahahaha cheesy cheesy cheesy

You want to kill me with laughter cheesy cheesy
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 11:43am On Aug 25, 2015
Rosemary216:

I had to read this post thrice grin

The painful truth right there cry

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 25, 2015
We seem to have something in common which is inherent hatred for the NYSC scheme. cheesy

I have never seen anything good in NYSC. I hate every second, minute, hour and day I spent in NYSC camp. I even hate to remember the experience.

Unfortunately, no matter how we ask for it to be scrapped or at least made voluntary, NYSC will remain. Several people at the top benefit directly from the scheme

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by whizqueen(f): 1:18pm On Aug 25, 2015
I support!

Make them scrap am jare. It's just a waste of one year of someone's lifetime.

That one year I suppose to sit down for Lagos and expand my business and grow career-wise. person go siddon for one local government for one village like that angry

My teaching skills is 0.00% and you expect me to teach SS3 students and you think they'll pass WAEC grin you go old tongue

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by davolas(m): 1:39pm On Aug 25, 2015
A country whereby tings re made compulsory nt voluntarily even wen d risk is high
A country whereby d mumu called DG brings out english called HEADCOUNT yet wld he tell us his children re in nigeria or part of d scheme.i.e automatic certificartn.
Dear God save us frm d oppressor nd help we nigerians to av choice,dis VETO power is turning brain,headcount my foot mk i risk my life frm lag to ebonyi even wen sch re on vacation mk i dey ppa wey snake na d visitor we get,no lyt,its well God save me frm dis.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by whizqueen(f): 2:30pm On Aug 25, 2015
angry
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Kaybee14(m): 2:38pm On Aug 25, 2015
You're on point OP.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 2:38pm On Aug 25, 2015
OP if i saw this thread before i went for service, the kind curse i for curse u eh, even satan go pity ur life.
You can say all these because you have passed through it. I could also imagine the enthusiasm in your face the day you stepped your foot in NYSC camp.
OP allow the youngies too to enjoy the scheme like you have done. That yours wasnt useful doesnt mean others will be the same

To me, NYSC took me away from Mummy's care while giving me something to hold on while hunting for job.

During NYSC i had more time i never had in school to learn different skills in preparation for the labour market.

During NYSC, i learnt yoruba language (yes under one year). I understand and speak to a good extent and it goes a long way in building trust and integration with my yoruba brothers

It also made me meet lots of friends who were helpful even after service. I be like "Segun abeg i get interview for lag o". Segun be like "offspec dey come my house naa. My house dey free". And that was a friend i met during my NYSC.

OP advice you should give people is they should try make their service year useful to them and also making good friends.
Lastly, NYSC also improved my confidence as well as my public speaking skills cos i was a "tisha" for one secondary sch and this is very essential for a job hunter grin

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by kayo80(m): 2:39pm On Aug 25, 2015
Hmm
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by scofieldsimba(m): 2:39pm On Aug 25, 2015
Op u are really really on point.
We are truly tired. If not for d unemployment situation in d country , I would have suggested that the scheme should be totally scrapped.

No impact at all.

What our youths need now is skills.
If we must move forward as a nation, we must tell ourselves d bitter truth.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by allanphash7(m): 2:39pm On Aug 25, 2015
It suppose to be scrapped

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 25, 2015
undecided
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Mopolchi: 2:40pm On Aug 25, 2015
op go for service. its important and nourishing.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by saintTim(m): 2:40pm On Aug 25, 2015
Op we the national Union of the under graduates likes it that way even if they ( ndi ara) refuses to pay us we will still take part, remember this is Nigeria ( any thing goes) we learn the hard way it's part of us, if u agree wit mua u know what to do cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by ucheo3: 2:40pm On Aug 25, 2015
The NYSC...
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by ellahzy(f): 2:41pm On Aug 25, 2015
Chai... oh Lord make Naija a better place for us all. embarassed

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Chillinmasoul(m): 2:41pm On Aug 25, 2015
How I wish... Lost a job cause I've not served.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by fizzle19(m): 2:42pm On Aug 25, 2015
I support d motion
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Mcjhigs(m): 2:42pm On Aug 25, 2015
[right][/right]I second jare[i]I second jare[/i]I second jare
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by jacob05(m): 2:42pm On Aug 25, 2015
taiwolusol:

8. IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE
How much do the government (State and Federal) spend on the seemingly unnecessary Programme.
I might not be so good at mathematics, but I can come with a rough estimate of about #350K on each corp member. Multiply that by close to a hundred thousand graduates that go through the scheme a year and you’ll have a feel of how much money the government is not getting value for.
Tax payer’s money they call it.
Nope.

NYSC is quite cheap wink calculate the cost of employing teachers

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by taiwoliu(m): 2:43pm On Aug 25, 2015
So, it made FP..... Test passed
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 2:43pm On Aug 25, 2015
Rosemary216:

THIS TALK IS UNNECESSARY, CALL TO SERVE ONES COUNTRY FOR 1 YR AFTER WHICH YOU PURSUE ANY ENDEAVOR YOU WANT.

SOME PEOPLE NEVER LEFT THEIR STATES OF ORIGIN, SINCE BIRTH, ONLY THRU NYSC THEY EXPERIENCE HOW ANOTHER STATE LOOKS LIKE, BRAODEN THEIR HORIZONS, AND HAVE A COMPLETELY NEW PERSPECTIVE OF THEIR COUNTRY AS THEY ARE EXPOSED TO NEW CULTURES, ENVIRONMENTS, LANGUAGE AND PEOPLE.

I CHALLENGE YOU TO HAVE A RETHINK.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by adebayo201: 2:43pm On Aug 25, 2015
rationalmind:
We seem to have something in common which is inherent hatred for the NYSC scheme. cheesy
I have never seen anything good in NYSC. I hate every second, minute, hour and day I spent in NYSC camp. I even hate to remember the experience.
Unfortunately, no matter how we ask for it to be scrapped or at least made voluntary, NYSC will remain. Several people at the top benefit directly from the scheme

Of a truth, several people benefit directly from the scheme that only will make it worse if made voluntary.

People complain of not enjoying the scheme but not all... Different folks with different stroke.

My opinion is they should improve on it.
Canceling it would render more problem to it than before. It wont solve the issue at hand. People still get employment through it. The experience, learning other peoples' culture and ways, etc.

The voluntary will only expose the scheme to corruption and bribery. Once they lay their hands on some individual information, they feed on it.

The federal government should improve on the scheme... And they shouldn't make companies or lessen the way they requested for nysc certificate bfr employment it's really disturbing and problematic.

Thanks.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

3 Corps Members In Taraba to repeat Service Year For Misconduct / Where Can I Serve In Abuja With The Likelihood Of Being Retained? / Kano Corpers Feed 50 Amajiri Children On Valentine's Day (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.