Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free (782 Views)

Presidency Appoint Mr Peter Obi As Defence Minister Now / Sack Petroleum Minister Now, Protesters At NNPC Headquarters Tells Jonathan. / Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, More Than A Minister - Now A PDP Member? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by maclatunji: 11:56am On Dec 14, 2012
Madam Minister,

Now that your mother has been freed by kidnappers, I hope you understand better what governance is all about. It is about meeting the immediate needs of the people. No matter how much you tried to carry-on with the "duties of state", distress was written all over your face at the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting held last Wednesday as shown by the NTA.

Don't get me wrong, I am not in support of kidnapping or any other crime for that matter and rejoice with you over the safe return of your mother to you her loved ones. However, for too long government officials have been happy to deal with Nigerians like "Guinea Pigs" that are to be used to prove or dispel some of their long held hypothesis and probably beliefs. This is the reason why people like you in government are quick to quote figures and reports that you claim prove that the lives of Nigerians are getting better.

I am sure that for the four or five days that your mother was held captive by those criminals, none of the statistics on the "sharp decrease" in crime that the Nigerian Police and other security agencies could manufacture sorry present mattered to you. All that mattered to you was that your aged mother was in mortal danger and you had no idea of where she was.

Well, Madam Minister, that is how it is for the vast majority of Nigerians who listen to you and other officials in government tell us how beautiful and grand your plans are and how they are "improving the lives of the common man." I hope you realise now that if most of the population do not see, feel and actually taste these improvements and positive developments you are so apt to bring forward and are skilled to talk about, you are just wasting our time and have the same effect as nauseating irritants.

I congratulate you on the release of your dear mother, I hope she wasn't too shaken and moves forward with the rest of her life in peace and tranquility. However, let this unfortunate event be an important wake-up call to you and your colleagues in government starting from Mr. President to stop taking we the masses for granted and do more to impact positively on our lives instead of quoting questionable statistics that have little correlation to the reality on ground for most of Nigeria's citizens.

Once again, congratulations Honourable Minister.

http://www.coolstuff49ja.com/2012/12/now-that-your-mother-is-free.html#.UMsFuaB5joU

1 Like

Re: Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by greatgod2012(f): 12:10pm On Dec 14, 2012
Thanks for this, i hope she adheres to this.
Re: Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by fkaz(m): 2:35pm On Dec 14, 2012
Nice piece
Re: Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by trix1: 2:41pm On Dec 14, 2012
maclatunji: Madam Minister,

Now that your mother has been freed by kidnappers, I hope you understand better what governance is all about. It is about meeting the immediate needs of the people. No matter how much you tried to carry-on with the "duties of state", distress was written all over your face at the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting held last Wednesday as shown by the NTA. She's human!! even if American/Israeli/British forces combined together are on a rescue mission to free her mum, she's still be very worried. the face that she was able to carry on with her usual duties is a huge plus, no matter the amount of distress show on her face

Don't get me wrong, I am not in support of kidnapping or any other crime for that matter and rejoice with you over the safe return of your mother to you her loved ones. However, for too long government officials have been happy to deal with Nigerians like "Guinea Pigs" that are to be used to prove or dispel some of their long held hypothesis and probably beliefs. This is the reason why people like you in government are quick to quote figures and reports that you claim prove that the lives of Nigerians are getting better. The lives of Nigerians are actually getting better!! walk into the streets and see how many people now afford brand new cars!! ask Inspired and those other car dealers here on NL how many cars they sell, and not to politicians but people who have worked hard and earned such monies. nobody has said things are perfect, But things are far better than they were before. in all the states, people are building houses, are these houses all owned by politicians? Nigeria has actually improved.

I am sure that for the four or five days that your mother was held captive by those criminals, none of the statistics on the "sharp decrease" in crime that the Nigerian Police and other security agencies could manufacture sorry present mattered to you. All that mattered to you was that your aged mother was in mortal danger and you had no idea of where she was.

Well, Madam Minister, that is how it is for the vast majority of Nigerians who listen to you and other officials in government tell us how beautiful and grand your plans are and how they are "improving the lives of the common man." I hope you realise now that if most of the population do not see, feel and actually taste these improvements and positive developments you are so apt to bring forward and are skilled to talk about, you are just wasting our time and have the same effect as nauseating irritants. one major reason why the common man may not readily feel govt policies directly is because of our attitude of "dog chop dog". look at mass transit scheme as an example. ministers and politicians do not use public transport in Nigeria, and may not know what goes on in there. They have allocated money for this, and civil servants are in place to implement. however most times they have very poor attitude to work, and the drivers of these buses usually look for ways to cut corners. you really don't expect the minister or Jonathan to monitor the drivers. I see Fashola in the news, arresting erring motorist, etc. that isn't his Job, someone is paid to monitor motorist and arrest erring ones. the reason it makes news is because it is not the norm.

I congratulate you on the release of your dear mother, I hope she wasn't too shaken and moves forward with the rest of her life in peace and tranquility. However, let this unfortunate event be an important wake-up call to you and your colleagues in government starting from Mr. President to stop taking we the masses for granted and do more to impact positively on our lives instead of quoting questionable statistics that have little correlation to the reality on ground for most of Nigeria's citizens.

Once again, congratulations Honourable Minister.

http://www.coolstuff49ja.com/2012/12/now-that-your-mother-is-free.html#.UMsFuaB5joU

I Disagree with most of this post. I've tried to highlight my comments in red (please pardon my typos and errors).
Most importantly, the major point I'm trying to make is that Nigeria won't work if we keep looking at politicians. The people need to make it work! until you and me decide to work as one, nothing would work!

when one of us gets a contract from the govt to repair the road, we go to his house to congratulate him, and help him eat part of the money, and he does a shady job and thanks God for breakthrough.

The fuel station attendants use only one pump in the fuel station to create artificial scarcity so that he/she gets more "tips" from customers.

the bus drivers and conductors inflate the transport fare at the slight sign of traffic jam.

the public/civil servants in our schools and ministries would openly ask you for tips before they do they job they are paid by govt to do.

the men/women who now collect a flat rate of 10% before you get the contract.

2 Likes

Re: Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by maclatunji: 2:45pm On Dec 14, 2012
trix!:

I Disagree with most of this post. I've tried to highlight my comments in red (please pardon my typos and errors).
Most importantly, the major point I'm trying to make is that Nigeria won't work if we keep looking at politicians. The people need to make it work! until you and me decide to work as one, nothing would work!

when one of us gets a contract from the govt to repair the road, we go to his house to congratulate him, and help him eat part of the money, and he does a shady job and thanks God for breakthrough.

The fuel station attendants use only one pump in the fuel station to create artificial scarcity so that he/she gets more "tips" from customers.

the bus drivers and conductors inflate the transport fare at the slight sign of traffic jam.

the public/civil servants in our schools and ministries would openly ask you for tips before they do they job they are paid by govt to do.

I find your post as an example of how and why Nigeria refuses to move forward. People refuse to make their leaders accountable and continue making excuses for them.
Re: Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by trix1: 3:06pm On Dec 14, 2012
If you read my post, I made no excuses for the leaders, instead I posited that we as a people also have a lot to do.
In simpler terms, you cannot go and stop a ministers convoy and ask him/her to repair the road to your house, but you can challenge the bus driver that is inflating the price of govt buses, or the civil servant that refuses to do his/her job.

lets stop looking outwards, and look at what we as individuals are doing wrong.
Re: Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by alaoeri: 3:56pm On Dec 14, 2012
trix!:

Don't agree with υя post the government & those in authority are to be blame. For instance check kidnapping in the SS/SE its stated with the oil expatriate foreigners gradually to ordinary civilian had it been those in authority have find a lasting solution to the problem then by providing basic amenities to the populace its won't generate to this, u talking about increase in transport fare & corruption in some public office if the head is good & upright believe me the followers got no options other than to be good. Lagos as a case study, lagosian now obey traffic rule bcuz there's penalty for offenders, if our leaders are serious about fighting corruption i.e they ain't corrupt bliv corruption 'll reduce in the country, the situation is degenerating bcuz those in authority are doing little or nothing about.
Re: Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by duality(m): 4:11pm On Dec 14, 2012
trix!:

well said. I've been saying this for years. unfortunately, Nigerians have refused to see things from this angle. they just want to blame the persons in govt for their woes. even the civil servant who personally decides to do the wrong thing, justifies his actions because " those in govt are bad". its a shame.
Re: Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by 1025: 4:35pm On Dec 14, 2012
trix!:

my dear, what is ur definition of govt? mine is, a group of ppl(men and women) saddled with the responsibilities of making rules and regulations guiding the acts of others.
who is a rebel? one who rejects or revolts over govt's decisions.
what is protest? the act of expressing ur rejection of a policy.
in all we do and say, what the books write are always different from what happens in real life.
if you are a realistic person, lead me to any country of this world where the leadership is faulted while the masses are good.
who is a leader? one who sets the pace for others to follow
who is a follower? one that comes behind the leader
who is a good follower? one who follows correctly.
the bible points out the need for a good leader when it says leadership by example.
where were you in january when nigerians en mass rejected the deadly subsidy removal? did u not see the soldiers come after innocent and harmless nigerians?
how do u blame nigerians for the failures of the few selfish and wicked rulers?
if the govt makes good laws, implement them and punish rightly the offenders, why on earth will u go against the law?
if a bankole could steal publicly and go free, if a bode george could steal over N100B and stay in a place for two years and cecilia ibru could run down a bank and get a 90 days rest in a 5 star hospital as punishment, tell me in God's name why won't a normal nigerian steal?
the pacesetters or those we look up to are saying crime is the only way out. in a country where the most successful people are those living in crimes, why won't the country be full of crimes. these same rulers have destroyed our police by using them to move their ghana must go bags of money around. they have destroyed our judiciary system in their inordinate ambition to have everything under their feet.
many of us here may be against kidnapping and boko haram but I AM ONE SINGLE PERSON THAT WILL OPENLY JOIN THE TWO THE DAY THEY CONCENTRATE ON THE OKONJOS, THE GOODLUCKS AND OTHER POWER DRUNKS AND CRIMINAL MINDED POLITICIANS IN THIS COUNTRY.
we as a pupil have done everything within our means and the only option left here is REVOLUTION. if these kidnappers and boko haram can come together in violence and declare these public criminals our enemies, the names/tags(boko haram and kidnappers) will soon change to rebels and afterwards, they will take over the govt.
these few men and women are treating us like pigs and they kill us at will and as such, we must stand out and pay them and their loved ones back with the same coin.
tell me now before God and man, if ur mother or father were to be kidnapped, will nigerian police give u ordinary typing sheet to write ur complain? we must start speaking with one voice.
how many days has obasanjo been out of aso rock? is he not seeing things from the common man point of view now? even with all his money and securities, he is living in fear.
i believe the jerry rawlings movie in ghana will surely come here but my only fear is the end because nigerians are extremists.
Re: Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by maclatunji: 4:38pm On Dec 14, 2012
trix!:
If you read my post, I made no excuses for the leaders, instead I posited that we as a people also have a lot to do.
In simpler terms, you cannot go and stop a ministers convoy and ask him/her to repair the road to your house, but you can challenge the bus driver that is inflating the price of govt buses, or the civil servant that refuses to do his/her job.

lets stop looking outwards, and look at what we as individuals are doing wrong.

You fail to realise that leaders have greater responsibility to make things work. It is a moral obligation for every citizen to seek the development of his/her country. However, it is the duty of the leaders to make it happen. For as long as you refuse to acknowledge this, you are making excuses for the failure of our leaders!
Re: Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by trix1: 5:24pm On Dec 14, 2012
alaoeri:
Don't agree with υя post the government & those in authority are to be blame. For instance check kidnapping in the SS/SE its stated with the oil expatriate foreigners gradually to ordinary civilian had it been those in authority have find a lasting solution to the problem then by providing basic amenities to the populace its won't generate to this, u talking about increase in transport fare & corruption in some public office if the head is good & upright believe me the followers got no options other than to be good. Lagos as a case study, lagosian now obey traffic rule bcuz there's penalty for offenders, if our leaders are serious about fighting corruption i.e they ain't corrupt bliv corruption 'll reduce in the country, the situation is degenerating bcuz those in authority are doing little or nothing about.

I Haven't said the government is perfect, neither have I spared the govt of any blame.
All I said is that we as a people also share in the blame. let us stop this blame game, and start from our homes to our streets and constituencies to make Nigeria great again. I'd give you an example, In January, subsidy was removed, and immediately it was announced, all fuel stations started selling at 140-150 per liter, including those that had old stock. Transport fares where hiked, when part of the subsidy was re-installed, these same fuel stations waited to sell off old stock before they reverted, and Transport fares in many cases did not come down.

1025:

my dear, what is ur definition of govt? mine is, a group of ppl(men and women) saddled with the responsibilities of making rules and regulations guiding the acts of others.
who is a rebel? one who rejects or revolts over govt's decisions.
what is protest? the act of expressing ur rejection of a policy.
in all we do and say, what the books write are always different from what happens in real life.
if you are a realistic person, lead me to any country of this world where the leadership is faulted while the masses are good.
who is a leader? one who sets the pace for others to follow
who is a follower? one that comes behind the leader
who is a good follower? one who follows correctly.
the bible points out the need for a good leader when it says leadership by example.
where were you in january when nigerians en mass rejected the deadly subsidy removal? did u not see the soldiers come after innocent and harmless nigerians?
how do u blame nigerians for the failures of the few selfish and wicked rulers?
if the govt makes good laws, implement them and punish rightly the offenders, why on earth will u go against the law?
if a bankole could steal publicly and go free, if a bode george could steal over N100B and stay in a place for two years and cecilia ibru could run down a bank and get a 90 days rest in a 5 star hospital as punishment, tell me in God's name why won't a normal nigerian steal?
the pacesetters or those we look up to are saying crime is the only way out. in a country where the most successful people are those living in crimes, why won't the country be full of crimes. these same rulers have destroyed our police by using them to move their ghana must go bags of money around. they have destroyed our judiciary system in their inordinate ambition to have everything under their feet.
many of us here may be against kidnapping and boko haram but I AM ONE SINGLE PERSON THAT WILL OPENLY JOIN THE TWO THE DAY THEY CONCENTRATE ON THE OKONJOS, THE GOODLUCKS AND OTHER POWER DRUNKS AND CRIMINAL MINDED POLITICIANS IN THIS COUNTRY.
we as a pupil have done everything within our means and the only option left here is REVOLUTION. if these kidnappers and boko haram can come together in violence and declare these public criminals our enemies, the names/tags(boko haram and kidnappers) will soon change to rebels and afterwards, they will take over the govt.
these few men and women are treating us like pigs and they kill us at will and as such, we must stand out and pay them and their loved ones back with the same coin.
tell me now before God and man, if ur mother or father were to be kidnapped, will nigerian police give u ordinary typing sheet to write ur complain? we must start speaking with one voice.
how many days has obasanjo been out of aso rock? is he not seeing things from the common man point of view now? even with all his money and securities, he is living in fear.
i believe the jerry rawlings movie in ghana will surely come here but my only fear is the end because nigerians are extremists.

In this context, I used Government to mean those at the helm of affairs, elected into office. That is the common man's definition of government. Once again, I'd repeat, STOP looking at what the govt have or havent done, and look at what you have done. If I give you a contract today, can I go home and sleep, knowing that you wont cheat me? Go to the market and buy tomatoes, the woman would tell you its 800buks for a basket that is worth 200buks, and expect to to bargain and beat the price down to 200buks, and if you dont know this, she's say God has blessed her, and collect your 800buks.

maclatunji:

You fail to realise that leaders have greater responsibility to make things work. It is a moral obligation for every citizen to seek the development of his/her country. However, it is the duty of the leaders to make it happen. For as long as you refuse to acknowledge this, you are making excuses for the failure of our leaders!

Leaders have greater responsibility, (Leaders are not only found in government, but lets assume we are talking about only government here). no matter how great their responsibilities are, it doesn't mean the followers have no responsibilities.
If you continue with this thinking of the govt must do everything, we may never get to the promised land. look around you, have you felt any effect from the ward chairman in you area? do you even know him? when we start with ourselves, its easier to achieve greatness. the change must start with me and you!
The common man on the street would NEVER feel the effect of the president, because the conduits through which that effect should get to him is broken!
Re: Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by taharqa: 8:03pm On Dec 14, 2012
*Yawns*
Re: Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by maclatunji: 8:10pm On Dec 14, 2012
taharqa: *Yawns*

Hehehehe
Re: Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by Demdem(m): 8:56pm On Dec 14, 2012
^^^

u shouldnt be surprised grin grin.
below is my best part grin grin

The same goes to ngozi's positive economic statistics that seems not to have any direct positive impact whatsoever on vast majority of the populace. paper growth does not matter to The vast majority, instead what they can see and feel and testify about.
Re: Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by maclatunji: 9:29pm On Dec 14, 2012
^My point exactly- the analogy is apt if you don't mind my saying so.
Re: Madam Minister: Now That Your Mother Is Free by tpia1: 10:56pm On Dec 14, 2012
Plz just leave the minister and her mother alone.

Nigeria will have its problems regardless who is in leadership, and in the meantime, loose lips do sink ships.

There's no need to develop headache just because somebody you know is selling panadol.

A word is enough for the wise.

(1) (Reply)

Ramsey Nouah, Timi Dakolo Escape Ill-fated Helicopter Crash In Bayelsa / NNPC: The Corporation That Is Not Allowing Government To Have Finance To Operate / Inside Obasanjo’s Aso Rock: ‘after Morning Prayers, Let Us Plot Evil’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.