Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,712 members, 7,824,021 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Is God Male, Female, Or Both? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is God Male, Female, Or Both? (3368 Views)

Poll: Is God male, female or both?

Male: 24% (8 votes)
Female: 3% (1 vote)
Both: 18% (6 votes)
None: 54% (18 votes)
This poll has ended

Is God Male Or Female? / Is God Male Or Female? / Are The Angels Of God Male Or Female? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by larger20(m): 7:09am On Apr 25, 2006
In Genesis, God created man in his own image. Does this mean that God is a male? What do you think?
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by Consultant(f): 8:42am On Apr 25, 2006
Why is it important
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by jagunlabi(m): 11:55am On Apr 25, 2006
There is a thread on this already.Modurators,kindly merge!
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by Ciaralover(f): 2:49pm On Apr 25, 2006
GOD is a man!!!!!DUH!!!!even a 5 year old know that!!!!
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by KAG: 3:19pm On Apr 25, 2006
God doesn't exist, but if she did I doubt she would be a physical being.
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by Seun(m): 12:07am On Apr 26, 2006
The existing thread has an inferior title. I've added a poll to this one!
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by 2nde(m): 2:53am On Apr 26, 2006
God is never a female, its not possible. And "HE" is used for God also and he first created male so that should answer this question.
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:44am On Apr 26, 2006
Is God someone, something? i dont think we should refer to God as a person, being female or male. God is neither, The reason why the use "HE" goes back to the gender complex that the world still has to this very day. No one has seen God and lived to tell, so to me he is neither. He is called Father because he is the provider, And like i said it goes back to the gender complex that we humans have concocted,
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by Reba(f): 8:20am On Apr 26, 2006
Dah, Why would u ask such a stupid question don'nt u know God the father, and his son is Jesus even my 3 year old niece know that,so get out of here and go back to sunday school.God is the Man
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by sergio(m): 8:37am On Apr 26, 2006
KAG:

God doesn't exist, but if she did I doubt she would be a physical being.
this is quit ridiculous, u are saying that if God existed, he would be a female, this is a grivious sin, i think u should pray to what ever u worship for forgiveness
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by sergio(m): 9:01am On Apr 26, 2006
All right fellas, lets get this over with. God is a man not a male, In the book of genesis, God the 'father' said lets make man in our own image and likeness, God really had the intention of making man like him, but man faultered, so god had a change of plans by making man a male(vulnerable to sin and temptation). I believe we still have Bible skool in our churches, join one
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by Rhodalyn(f): 9:02am On Apr 26, 2006
whteva happened to God da father da son n da holy spirit
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by timmy(m): 10:02am On Apr 26, 2006
issues!!
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by mmomi(f): 12:57pm On Apr 26, 2006
GOD is neither male nor female
but HE(GOD) called HIMSELF "I AM WHO I AM"

*just believe*
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by KAG: 1:53pm On Apr 26, 2006
sergio:

this is quit ridiculous, u are saying that if God existed, he would be a female, this is a grivious sin, i think u should pray to what ever u worship for forgiveness

Nope, I was saying if God existed, SHE would be female. How is saying that a grieveous sin?
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by spikedcylinder: 2:33pm On Apr 26, 2006
Is someone trying to suggest that God has genitial organs? shocked
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by larger20(m): 2:56pm On Apr 26, 2006
Rhodalyn:

whteva happened to God da father da son n da holy spirit

Well I belive that God the father and son are male, the holy spirit must have some female characteristic, because it is through holy spirit that Mary got conceived. Not through the father. Also the holy spirit has been known to asist hannah bear child through her husband. I dont know about u
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by spikedcylinder: 3:12pm On Apr 26, 2006
larger_20:

Well I believe that God the father and son are male, the holy spirit must have some female characteristic, because it is through holy spirit that Mary got conceived. Not through the father. Also the holy spirit has been known to asist hannah bear child through her husband. I don't know about u

So a woman slept with another woman to concieve Jesus?
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by Reverend(m): 6:40pm On Apr 26, 2006
Why should God not have genital organs?
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by asanga(m): 6:58pm On Apr 26, 2006
This as far as am concerned is not an issue, why the question if God is male or Female when there are other things we need to know in the Bible,Imagine should that be an issue pray for forgiveness.

Worship God and that`s all you can`t know somethings unless if they are revealed to you so let them be.
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by larger20(m): 10:25pm On Apr 26, 2006
spikedcylinder:

So a woman slept with another woman to concieve Jesus?

Holy spirit having a female character does not mean its 100% female. It means that it has both male and female side. HOly spirit is in charge of control, birth and even death of people for when u die, the spirit leaves the body, when you're born, the spirit enters the body. During these happenstance, one thing prevails, the spirit is found in both male and female. SO it will be wise to say there are male and female holy spirit.

Another intresting question is angles, the lucifer is one of the hottest angles in heaven. Rememeber some angels came to the earth and slept with the women of the world. All of these happenstance is a clue to concider in deciding Gods genital. smiley

I belive God is both.
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by kimba(m): 10:27pm On Apr 26, 2006
@Reba
Dah,  Why would u ask such a stupid question don'nt u know God the father,  and his son is Jesus even my 3 year old niece know that,so get out of here and go back to sunday school.God is the Man
If Larger_20 doesnt ask such a question, then it'll be either jagunlabi, Reverend or KAG.
But its true, and its good. They know the word of God, its only that they love running helter-skelter, too bad!!!

Have we observed little children? ask him/her where Heaven is? the Child points up. Thats to show that God deposits a knowledge of Himself inside every man. The rest is up to you to use or throw away Gods initial gift of Himself.

@spikedcylinder
Is someone trying to suggest that God has genitial organs

Yup, thats where they are going.
and let me continue, the next thing we'll be talking about is who the wife of God was. Already, Reverend has enlightened himself in another another post of how Kinky Jeus got with Mary M.

@Reverend,
you know we still have a lllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooottttttttttttttttttttttt of things to talk about!! wink wink wink wink wink

Where do I stand? Where Jesus is standing.
No man has succeeded in putting God Almighty, the creator of the Heaven and Earth in a Box, not even the most intelligent of men. The fact that Man is Mortal, just shows us that we are way too small to discover the Immortal God. Whatever we know, no matter the extent of our knowledge is just a little-bit of what God wants man to know.
Job said it:
Job 11:7 Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection?
Job 11:8 It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know?
Job 11:9 The measure thereof is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea.
Job 11:10 If he cut off, and shut up, or gather together, then who can hinder him?
Job 11:11 For he knoweth vain men: he seeth wickedness also; will he not then consider it?
Job 11:12 For vain man would be wise, though man be born like a wild ass's colt.

Ec 3:11 He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.
Ec 8:17 Then I beheld all the work of God, that a man cannot find out the work that is done under the sun: because though a man labour to seek it out, yet he shall not find it; yea further; though a wise man think to know it, yet shall he not be able to find it.

If you really want to know who He is:
Job 11:13 If thou prepare thine heart, and stretch out thine hands toward him;
Job 11:14 If iniquity be in thine hand, put it far away, and let not wickedness dwell in thy tabernacles.
Job 11:15 For then shalt thou lift up thy face without spot; yea, thou shalt be stedfast, and shalt not fear:
Job 11:16 Because thou shalt forget thy misery, and remember it as waters that pass away:
Job 11:17 And thine age shall be clearer than the noonday; thou shalt shine forth, thou shalt be as the morning.
Job 11:18 And thou shalt be secure, because there is hope; yea, thou shalt dig about thee, and thou shalt take thy rest in safety.
Job 11:19 Also thou shalt lie down, and none shall make thee afraid; yea, many shall make suit unto thee.
Job 11:20 But the eyes of the wicked shall fail, and they shall not escape, and their hope shall be as the giving up of the ghost.
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by KAG: 12:21am On Apr 27, 2006
kimba:

@RebaIf Larger_20 doesnt ask such a question, then it'll be either jagunlabi, Reverend or KAG.
But its true, and its good.

I wouldn't ask that kind of question. To me, it seems a tad redundant (and highly illogical) asking what the sex a non-physical entity, who alledgedly transcends time and space, has no observable charcateristics,etc , would be. Besides, it should come as no surprise that the God of a male dominated society would be called he, and given andromorphic qualities.

They know the word of God, its only that they love running helter-skelter, too bad!!!

Helter-skelter?

Have we observed little children? ask him/her where Heaven is? the Child points up. Thats to show that God deposits a knowledge of Himself inside every man. The rest is up to you to use or throw away Gods initial gift of Himself.

What? God resides in sthe sky/space? I wonder where a child would point if I told her what Folkvang was, and then at a later date, asked her where Folkvang was. That should be ample proof that Freya deposits her knowledge of herself deep inside all of us smiley.
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by kimba(m): 12:51am On Apr 27, 2006
@KAG
what exactly do you believe in? pls tell me. grin grin
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by KAG: 12:52am On Apr 27, 2006
kimba:

@KAG
what exactly do you believe in? please tell me. grin grin

As in suoernatural entity/being? None. I'm an atheist.
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by kimba(m): 12:56am On Apr 27, 2006
@KAG
really now, that explains many things!!!

now, let me ask: hope you don't mind.
1) How has your Aethist belief helped you as a person? i mean how/what has it contributed to your total well being? your view of the past? an enrichment of the present? and a hope for the future?

2) what would you say is your most propelling reason, citing an example from your own personal life and experience/s, to be a reason, and a compelling reason, why you would be so passionate to explain, expantiate and try to convince, and that if you could, to win a single person to become an Aethist.
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by KAG: 1:16am On Apr 27, 2006
kimba:

@KAG
really now, that explains many things!!!

Really? I thought it was pretty obvious, I guess I'll have to sacrifice some more virgins, before the EAC get word of this.

now, let me ask: hope you don't mind.
1) How has your Aethist belief helped you as a person? i mean how/what has it contributed to your total well being? your view of the past? an enrichment of the present? and a hope for the future?

I don't mind. In all honesty, I don't know if it's down to atheism, but I'm a far more content person, more charitable. I've faced several fears and phobias I had, become, what I would like to think, a more rounded person.

It's not all beds and roses though, as I still battle with things like depression, but despite problems, there's an inner core of happiness within me, happiness that can never be touched nor harmed, happiness that I can only describe as "beautiful joy". there's also a feeling of being, and appreciation for a shortish life. Sorry for the ramble, but that's the first time I've ever written about my conversion to atheism (I've pruned some of it, and cut short the ramble).

2) what would you say is your most propelling reason, citing an example from your own personal life and experience/s, to be a reason, and a compelling reason, why you would be so passionate to explain, expantiate and try to convince, and that if you could, to win a single person to become an Aethist.

I wouldn't.
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by kimba(m): 1:49am On Apr 27, 2006
@KAG

thank you for your replies, but
for your answer to the first question:
If I would credit your personal well being with happiness and well-roundedness, I would also credit the enrichment of your present life with happiness and joy.

*You didnt mention anything about how Aethism has helped you to overcome the past and to have a hope for the future*

For my second question:
as you wouldn't be able to give me a compelling reason for your faith, let me give you another example:

example: suppose, that you found a very rare treasure, one of great value/price, suppose you found it either by chance, or for which you have earnestly searched for all your life, and finally you found it, dont you think you would be able to give concrete answers to these questions:
- what you found? how it looks like?
- where/when you found it?
- how you found it?
- what it means to you?
-what you can achieve with it, and
- how your life has changed after finding this rare treasure.

Definitely, you would be able to answer all those questions, should you find such a rare treasure.

*****Now, if someone comes to you with some claim that he has found a great treasure, and he describes it using the best of qualitative-adjectives, and you ask such a one the questions above, and he is not able to give you an answer, in all honesty, dont you think you would doubt his claim of a great treasure-find?

If someone were to come to you seeking for what you have gotten "Aethism" and you arent able to show him the 1,2,3, shoudn't he conclude that you are just doing make-believe?
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by KAG: 2:06am On Apr 27, 2006
kimba:

@KAG

thank you for your replies, but
for your answer to the first question:
If I would credit your personal well being with happiness and well-roundedness, I would also credit the enrichment of your present life with happiness and joy.

*You didnt mention anything about how Aethism has helped you to overcome the past and to have a hope for the future*

I said something about fears and phobias. i can't think of how atheism would help me overcome the future, except from the fact that it would give me the sense of urgency to do the best I can, and to be more charitable to others etc.

For my second question:as you wouldn't be able to give me a compelling reason for your faith, let me give you another example:

I wouldn't call it a faith, and your question suggested what I would do/say to make someone become an atheist, I wouldn't.

example: suppose, that you found a very rare treasure, one of great value/price, suppose you found it either by chance, or for which you have earnestly searched for all your life, and finally you found it, don't you think you would be able to give concrete answers to these questions:
- what you found? how it looks like?
- where/when you found it?
- how you found it?
- what it means to you?
-what you can achieve with it, and
- how your life has changed after finding this rare treasure.

Definitely, you would be able to answer all those questions, should you find such a rare treasure.

*****Now, if someone comes to you with some claim that he has found a great treasure, and he describes it using the best of qualitative-adjectives, and you ask such a one the questions above, and he is not able to give you an answer, in all honesty, don't you think you would doubt his claim of a great treasure-find?

If someone were to come to you seeking for what you have gotten "Aethism" and you arent able to show him the 1,2,3, shoudn't he conclude that you are just doing make-believe?

I have given some of the things I fell I amy have gained from becoming an atheist, however your question was "what would you say is your most propelling reason, citing an example from your own personal life and experience/s, to be a reason, and a compelling reason, why you would be so passionate to explain, expantiate and try to convince, and that if you could, to win a single person to become an Aethist." My reply was and still is sufficient, I wouldn't try to make anyone an atheist.

Atheism is not like many (all?) of the theistic religions, where you feel compelled to try to get everybody to think alike. I suppose it's all relative.
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by kimba(m): 2:24am On Apr 27, 2006
@KAG
maybe you didnt understand me, its not about a thinking pattern or whatever,

what im saying is like this: you found something you consider true, genuine and you'll want to share it with your friends, so how would you put it to them, like this, i won a scholarship, this is what im enjoying by the scholarship, this is the way if you want to win the scholarship, or if someone were to ask you, i want to become an aethist, tell me what youve been/you are enjoying, which will further encourage me to take the important step you have taken,

Atheism is not like many (all?) of the theistic religions, where you feel compelled to try to get everybody to think alike
the reason why majority of Christians will want others to come join Christ's party is that we have something we are enjoying, that is meaningful to us and we want to share it, plain and simple.

now if i win a million dollars, i should have something to show for it, as proof that ive won a million dollars and that im happier than i was before.

another thing: after death, what next?
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by larger20(m): 4:58am On Apr 27, 2006
Well guys i went to my christian fellowship where I learnt that some questions should not be asked. This question i asked is an example of divine question that should not be asked because the more you try to find an answer, the further away you are likley to be to it.
Re: Is God Male, Female, Or Both? by sergio(m): 9:27am On Apr 27, 2006
guys like i said before, God is a man not a male, u all are males, susceptible to sin and temptation, are ya all fellin me on this?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hello Truthman2012, I Have A Message For You. / Is God Partial; Thoughts From The Jacob And Esau Biblical Story / Archbishop John Obiokeke Of Gpm In Kirikiri Over 419

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.