Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,789 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

Igbo Names & Their Meanings - Culture (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (464874 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by achi4u(m): 3:56pm On May 25, 2013
please can anyone tell me the meaning of,

Odumchi

Ezekaka

ifenamiami.lolgrin

Chinkata

Osuofia
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 7:11pm On May 25, 2013
achi4u: please can anyone tell me the meaning of,

Odumchi

Ezekaka

ifenamiami.lolgrin

Chinkata

Osuofia

'Odumchi' abughi aha madu na aza o lol.

'Osuofia' means 'legend of the forest' (a man who is widely known in the forest).
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by achi4u(m): 10:29pm On May 25, 2013
odumchi:

'Odumchi' abughi aha madu na aza o lol.

'Osuofia' means 'legend of the forest' (a man who is widely known in the forest).
biko kedukwanu ihe 'odumchi' putara?
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 12:28am On May 26, 2013
achi4u: biko kedukwanu ihe 'odumchi' putara?

O putara 'Odum nke Chineke' (Lion of God).

And does anyone know what the name 'Nwankpa' means? I think it's Ngwa.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 7:26pm On May 27, 2013
odumchi: And does anyone know what the name 'Nwankpa' means? I think it's Ngwa.

Child born during a parent's time of hardship/affliction of some kind. The hardship/affliction typically has nothing to do with the child. The child just incidentally happened to be born into it. It is a unisex name.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 12:16am On May 30, 2013
ChinenyeN:

Child born during a parent's time of hardship/affliction of some kind. The hardship/affliction typically has nothing to do with the child. The child just incidentally happened to be born into it. It is a unisex name.

Thanks. I know someone that answers it as a surname; is it still used as a first name? I'm guessing it's no longer very popular.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 12:18am On May 30, 2013
People from Urata (Owere) tend to bear the names Iwuji and Duru. Could someone explain their meanings?
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 5:37am On May 30, 2013
odumchi: Thanks. I know someone that answers it as a surname; is it still used as a first name? I'm guessing it's no longer very popular.
No, it's no longer used as a first name, like it was just 2 or 3 generations ago.

Duru is (was) an honorary title in the Owerri area (mainly among Isu groups). Some like think of it as being the southern Igbo version of northern Igbo's Ozo/Nze title. Duru was a nobleman title and was usually prefixed to something to indicate community-wide recognition of success in that something. Duruji for instance was for recognized success in yam farming and cultivation. Duru could be affixed to any number of things. No one really takes the title anymore, but it survives as a surname or a community name, simply because the patriarch bore it.

There are some instances that I've heard in which a Duru surname is not connected with the Duru title, but these are few.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by olymurphy(f): 8:36am On May 30, 2013
Igbo names are mainly given due to circumstances surrounding the birth of the baby. For example I gave birth to my first daughter on valentine and I named her IFUNANYA meaning LOVE. then my second daughter is EBUBECHUKWUSOM meaning THE GLORY OF GOD IS WITH ME because I nearly lost her during childbirth and she was so very sick after that. my third baby were twin boys and I named them KAMSIYOCHUKWU meaning WHAT I BEGGED GOD and KOSISOCHUKWU meaning AND HE GAVE IT TO ME BECAUSE HE SO WISHES, because I've always wanted twin boys that was why I gave them the name.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 4:52pm On May 30, 2013
ChinenyeN:
No, it's no longer used as a first name, like it was just 2 or 3 generations ago.

Duru is (was) an honorary title in the Owerri area (mainly among Isu groups). Some like think of it as being the southern Igbo version of northern Igbo's Ozo/Nze title. Duru was a nobleman title and was usually prefixed to something to indicate community-wide recognition of success in that something. Duruji for instance was for recognized success in yam farming and cultivation. Duru could be affixed to any number of things. No one really takes the title anymore, but it survives as a surname or a community name, simply because the patriarch bore it.

There are some instances that I've heard in which a Duru surname is not connected with the Duru title, but these are few.

Oh okay. Thanks. It seems very similar to the prefix Osu- which, as I have been told, also serves the same purpose in denoting honor/recognition. I've seen both Osuji and Osuala being answered by people from the Owere area.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by beautifulOnyi: 8:44am On Jun 04, 2013
Pls what's the meaning of 'OBIELUMANI'. How common is it as an Igbo name?
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ifyalways(f): 3:53pm On Jun 04, 2013
beautiful Onyi: Pls what's the meaning of 'OBIELUMANI'. How common is it as an Igbo name?
my heart is at rest.
I'll say its not so common .

@Chinenyen,is Flora Nwankpa,the writer from Ngwa
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by pazienza(m): 6:26am On Jun 07, 2013
odumchi:

There's the possibility that she could be from Delta (South South) or Rivers (South South), since groups in both states answer 'Elewa'.

Anyway, in Central Igbo her first name, 'Oroma', means 'orange' (that is, if I am pronouncing it the correct way), while her last name 'Elewa' (which I am guessing is short for 'Elewachi') means "let us look to God". Going by her name, I would say it's most likely that she is from Imo.

Nobody in igboland would name a child oroma(orange). Besides,oroma for orange is not an igbo word,i think it's a borrowed word.

Oroma means oru oma(good work), because of olilo udaume, 'u' was swallowed up by 'o' to give you oroma.
Oroma is obviously a shortened form of a long name,which could be, oru oma chukwu rurum( good work that God did for me).

And i don't think it's perculiar to south south igbos,as i know a gal from Nnobi-idenmili who goes by that name,though in the typical idemili tongue,the 'r' in oroma is replaced with 'l' to give oloma(olu oma).

The ikwerres use oro for ulo/uno, so in that context,oroma(oro oma) could mean good house. So maybe the gal in question is an ikwerre.

Dalu kwa.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by pazienza(m): 6:30am On Jun 07, 2013
ifyalways: my heart is at rest.
I'll say its not so common .

@Chinenyen,is Flora Nwankpa,the writer from Ngwa

I think it's flora nwapa(Florence nwanzuruahu nwapa) and not nwankpa, she is from Oguta.
Nwankpa is a typical ngwa name.

Obilor is the umuahia dialect equivalent of Obielumani.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 7:22pm On Jun 07, 2013
Flora Nwapa's bios say she was born in Ugwuta. Do we actually know if she is from there or was just born there?

Obilor is actually the entire southern axis, and it's not that uncommon either.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 7:54pm On Jun 07, 2013
Abeg, what dialect is 'Obielumani'?

pazienza:

Nobody in igboland would name a child oroma(orange). Besides,oroma for orange is not an igbo word,i think it's a borrowed word.

Oroma means oru oma(good work), because of olilo udaume, 'u' was swallowed up by 'o' to give you oroma.
Oroma is obviously a shortened form of a long name,which could be, oru oma chukwu rurum( good work that God did for me).

And i don't think it's perculiar to south south igbos,as i know a gal from Nnobi-idenmili who goes by that name,though in the typical idemili tongue,the 'r' in oroma is replaced with 'l' to give oloma(olu oma).

The ikwerres use oro for ulo/uno, so in that context,oroma(oro oma) could mean good house. So maybe the gal in question is an ikwerre.

Dalu kwa.

Nsogbu adighi.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by pazienza(m): 1:13am On Jun 08, 2013
odumchi: Abeg, what dialect is 'Obielumani'?

Nsogbu adighi.

The dialectical composition of Obielumani has anambra north and central written all over it. But i know no one that goes by that name.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by pazienza(m): 1:25am On Jun 08, 2013
ChinenyeN: Flora Nwapa's bios say she was born in Ugwuta. Do we actually know if she is from there or was just born there?

Obilor is actually the entire southern axis, and it's not that uncommon either.

Well, Abagworo is an Oguta man,and seem to believe she is from her town, i have once read him ask an Ogba man where are flora nwapa's of Ogbaland.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by klarke(m): 10:57am On Sep 01, 2013
Igbo names are so cool, I love my parents for making my Igbo name (Kelechi) dominant over d english one.
Check dis ones out:

sopuruchi....Fear God

Somtochi....praise God with me

Kamsiriochukwu & kosisochukwu (for twins)...what I asked of God/my heart desire & the way God want it/God's will

Ikenna....God's/Father's Strength

Ugonna....God's/Father's honour

Chibuenyim & Chibuonum(for twins)...God is my friend & God is my Joy.

Chimdiebube....my God is glorious

Chimdindu....my God is alive

Chibuikem....God is my strength

Chibuezem....God is my king

Chijiokem....my potion is with God

Chizurumoke....God is enough 4me

Chidiuto....God is sweet

Chidiukwu....God is great
Kelechukwu & Cherechukwu(for twins)....Thank God & Wait for God.

Chimeremeze....God made me a king

Chimeremnma....God has done me well

Chizaram....God answered me

Chizitere....God sent

Iheanyichukwu...Nothing is hard for God

Ihemadu...My potion/inheritance, it could also mean My light or Light to humanity

Chimamanda....My God will not fail

I'll update when I can.
Shalom!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:55pm On Sep 01, 2013
Agwunobi/Nwagwunobi=there is never a lack of children/child in a household.
Echidime=tomorow is uncertain/fertile.
Obutego=she that brings wealth.
Zikora=show the world.
Okwuadinsa=a word that is unanswerable.
Ojialor=one that holds the lead.
Obadike=one that assumed greatness.
Orakwue=may the people speak.
Akubue=may riches grow.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 4:01pm On Sep 01, 2013
What does Nwabunor mean?
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:16pm On Sep 01, 2013
odumchi: What does Nwabunor mean?

A child is a place of dwelling.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by sweetgala(m): 2:16pm On Sep 02, 2013
What is the exact meaning of obianuju. I've heard conflicting meanings. I might not be Igbo but one of my children would be blessed with that name when God wishes.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 5:51pm On Sep 02, 2013
sweet_gala: What is the exact meaning of obianuju. I've heard conflicting meanings. I might not be Igbo but one of my children would be blessed with that name when God wishes.

Obianuju - a girl who comes in a time of the family's prosperity.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ringofGod: 10:16am On Sep 16, 2013
hi people... need some help with an ibo name for my son... one that has to do with being a king/being great, being a leader etc..

what does the name obinze mean pls?
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by AndreUweh(m): 9:20pm On Sep 16, 2013
ringofGod: hi people... need some help with an ibo name for my son... one that has to do with being a king/being great, being a leader etc..

what does the name obinze mean pls?
The thread clearly says Igbo and here you are typing Ibo. Na wa ooh.
Obinze could mean dirrent things in Igboland. For example name of a place or someone so dear to the heart of the dad who is an Nze title holder.
Igbo names that has to do with kingship are:
Orikaeze, very common in Delta Igbo areas (one who eats like a king), Nwaeze-child of a king, Ezebunafọ (future king) etc.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Crayola1: 11:28pm On Nov 09, 2013
What is the meaning of Arinze?

How about last names too, like Ossai?

grin
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Crayola1: 11:35pm On Nov 09, 2013
Old School names from another thread:

Here are some names:

Ejiofor (general Igbo) - the one who holds the staff?
Ovi (Aro) - ?
Okoroji (general Igbo) - strong/powerful/prominent man
Oji/Orji (general Igbo) - a great tree (oke osisi)/short for "

Aniche/Anicho/Aliche/Alicho (Aro) - a different land or a place other than one's fatherland. *Oftentimes, males born outside of their father's ancestral homes were given this name*

Izoka - Izo(a traditional god) supercedes.
Alagbaoso - The earth does not run away
Mgbekye(orumba dialect) - one born on the ekye day. female
Ikpendu - Judgement of life
Alaebo - the earth should not impose
Onwusuru - death is an impediment
Alamanjo - the earth knows a crime

Nmilimma= Beautiful stream.
Elilinma=Beautiful thread.
Adaugo=Daughter of pride[eagles daughter]
Omasiridi-Husband's delight.
Ugodi-Husbsands pride.
Ogbedi-Husband's protector
Oyiridi-Husband's look alike
Uredi-Husband's gallery.

Anagboso=The land remain unmoved.
Chikwado=The gods supports.
Obadike=Entrance to greatness.
Nzelu=To be saved.
Udegbuna=May my greatness not bring me death.
Alobuike=Ideas are strenght.
Omennu=Great doer.

Nwude=child of fame\great child.
Muolokwu=thought of the spirit.
Ubanagu=hungry of riches.
Ezinne=good mother.
Okwuoyibo=foreign words.
Ojiugo=white kolanut...usually given to light skin female children.
Okwuigbo=Igbo words\thoughts.
Nwanoluo=may the child live.
Otumoye=done on orie\oye market day.
Akukwe=If wealth permits.
Ofunne=same lineage.
Chiesaa=the gods answered.

Ozulumba (Northern Igbo; male) - satisfies the entire people.
Duru (Owere area; male) - I don't know.
Iheanaetu (Owere area; male) - what people want.
Okoko (Ikwere; male) - male born on Eke market day.
Nnamdi/Nnamno (General Igbo; male) - I have a father.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by bigfrancis21: 2:43am On Nov 10, 2013
Crayola1: What is the meaning of Arinze?

How about last names too, like Ossai?

grin

Arinze Chukwu means Thank God. This is how it is used in statements in Anambra Igbo - Arinze Chukwu na Emeka a furo m n'olu taata. Thank God Emeka did not see me at work today.

Dialectical versions are Ashinze(Delta Igbo), Ahinze(Ebonyi and southern Igbo), and Ehinze(Ika).
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by ifyalways(f): 4:59pm On Nov 10, 2013
odumchi: What does Nwabunor mean?
lovely name. Nwabundo - Nwando for short, is the female version, I believe.
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by Nobody: 7:39am On Nov 11, 2013
I don't know if these names have already been discussed, but I have always wondered about the meaning of Aro names such as

Oti/Otti

Ezuma

Torti

Iphie

Ijoma (Not 'Ije oma' which means 'good journey')
Re: Igbo Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 1:21pm On Nov 11, 2013
Radoillo: I don't know if these names have already been discussed, but I have always wondered about the meaning of Aro names such as

Oti/Otti

Ezuma

Torti

Iphie

Ijoma (Not 'Ije oma' which means 'good journey')

'Ezuma' means 'good character'; 'responsible'; 'well-behaved" (ezi uma).

The rest of those names date back several centuries and probably had some meaning in archaic Aro language. I'm not sure of their meanings, myself.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.