Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,044 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same (23052 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Some Nigerian Proverbs – In PIDGIN / Nigerian Pidgin English as Our National Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Ucheosefoh(m): 9:50pm On Dec 22, 2012
Coolval222: So na here you dey?
na here I dey oh
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by huninaija(f): 9:50pm On Dec 22, 2012
Q. You wan shite?
A. I wan shite! grin
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Egbagirl(f): 9:51pm On Dec 22, 2012
@Ileke-Idi, the same happens in French if you claim it doesn't in English. As far as I'm concerned it's like that in every language and as Omo to dun rightly said, its in the intonation. You can make a statement a question by adjusting the intonation. It might not be commonly done/used but its not exclusive to only pidgin
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 9:51pm On Dec 22, 2012
ihebrooke: Na frontpage this thread dey?
Na frontpage I'm dey oh.

Na mukina carry am to front page?
Na mukina carry am to front page oh.

She well at all?
She no well oh.

She go hide my post?
Na the next thing be that oh.

She go ban me?
She fit oh.

she don ban you reach 2013?
She don ban you reach 2013

grin
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by mrrock: 9:53pm On Dec 22, 2012
@since_1914
If you will, I would like to learn more about what you've said about Russian language. I mean by example.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by petokey: 9:53pm On Dec 22, 2012
vocalprince: grin yam dey? Yam dey. Op dey mad? Op dey mad. Thank you.

Q> vocalprince dey craze?
A> vocalprince dey craze.
Q> He chop winch?
A> He chop winch oh.
grin

1 Like

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 9:53pm On Dec 22, 2012
u are crazy fellow....lol
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by greatdave(m): 9:54pm On Dec 22, 2012
Sambo wan build 16bn crib?
Sambo wan build 16bn crib!

Kidnapping don dey pay wella?
Kidnapping don dey pay wella!

Dat woman na winch?
Dat woman na winch!

1 Like

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 22, 2012
Q. E don chop?
A. E don chop.
Q. Im belle full?
A. Im belle full.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 22, 2012
Egba girl: @Ileke-Idi, the same happens in French if you claim it doesn't in English. As far as I'm concerned it's like that in every language and as Omo to dun rightly said, its in the intonation. You can make a statement a question by adjusting the intonation. It might not be commonly done/used but its not exclusive to only pidgin

Written and spoken version differ.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by ffo(m): 9:56pm On Dec 22, 2012
u r invited
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 22, 2012
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Egbagirl(f): 10:00pm On Dec 22, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Written and spoken version differ.

It doesn't matter. You can say it or write it. If you want to write it, just add/remove a question mark.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by petokey: 10:01pm On Dec 22, 2012
RantAlin: Na lie! It all depends on the person responding.

Example;

"Eba dey?".... "Yes e dey, you want am?"
"OP dey craze?" ... "I no fit know o, but e be like sey the guy for use yaba left well" ....
Now tell me where you got your silly idea that question and answer are same in pidgin!
Na creativity gringrin
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by seedord247(m): 10:02pm On Dec 22, 2012
freecocoa: Him go come?
Him go come.

She go hospital?
She go hospital.

Na lie you dey talk?
Na lie you dey talk

The food small?
The food small.

Chaii ghetto pple go sabi this grin
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Chuksaluta(m): 10:02pm On Dec 22, 2012
U dey craze?
Na u dey craze

1 Like

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 10:03pm On Dec 22, 2012
@OP
it's crystal clear you don't speak pidgin naturally. . . u prolly learnt it . .
it's incorrect to answer dat way, instead:

Q: Eba dey?
A: E dey

Q: Nairaland go share xmas gifts?
A: Dem go share

In pidgin english, you only repeat the question as an answer ONLY during emphasis, e.g.

Q: Nairaland go share xmas gifts?
A: Nairaland go share xmas gifts, dem no born Seun well . . . (with the bolded part as emphasis)

If you speak dis way in my hood, then u be KJ (king of the jews) grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Psylas(m): 10:03pm On Dec 22, 2012
U go f.uck? I go f.uck!
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by linearity: 10:03pm On Dec 22, 2012
petokey: Pidgin english is the only language where question and answer can be the same.
Eg:Q- Eba dey?
A- Eba dey..
Q- Mummy dey house?
A- Mummy dey house.

Please post your own if you are a nigerian,

That is not true, your intonation and where stress is put can differentiate a question from a statement in all languages including the queen's English:...eg:

Q: He is coming?
A: He is coming.

Just like your pigin the above is a qualified question and an appropriate answer, despite the absence of 'Yes' in front of the answer.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by trent9002(m): 10:04pm On Dec 22, 2012
B!tch please. IGBO
I ga eri nri?
I ga eri nri.
Problem?
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by coogar: 10:04pm On Dec 22, 2012
omo_to_dun:
Thank you. All the languages I know how to speak have this literal device so it confuses me as to how the OP thinks this is exclusive to Pidgin English.

how do you do?
how do you do...

that's the only pure english one i can think of.....and that answer is even going extinct these days!
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by CLIQBOY(m): 10:05pm On Dec 22, 2012
ffo: u r invited
to do what?
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by GentleNaaz(m): 10:06pm On Dec 22, 2012
1. Food dey?
Food dey
2. U dy mad?
U dy mad
3. I dy craze?
I dy craze
4. She wan s3x?
she wan s3x
5. Seun dy mad?
Seun dy mad
6. U go chop ma money?
U go chop ma mony
7. Water don pass garri?
Water don pass garri
8. U b mumu?
U b mumu
9. S3x dy sweet?
S3x dy sweet
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by ireneidiva(f): 10:06pm On Dec 22, 2012
dis topic dey frontpage?
dis topic dey frontpage o.
*weeps*
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 22, 2012
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by aribisala0(m): 10:10pm On Dec 22, 2012
Yar'adua ti ku ?
Yar'adua ti ku

1 Like

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by GentleNaaz(m): 10:11pm On Dec 22, 2012
linearity:

That is not true, your intonation and where stress is put can differentiate a question from a statement in all languages including the queen's English:...eg:

Q: He is coming?
A: He is coming.

Just like your pigin the above is a qualified question and an appropriate answer, despite the absence of 'Yes' in front of the answer.
Guy dia is ntn like "he is coming?"
instead" is he coming?" back 2 u, r u a learner?

2 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by aribisala0(m): 10:11pm On Dec 22, 2012
NEPA ti mu ina lo?
NEPA ti mu ina lo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? / Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others / WELCOME TO AFRICA - 15 Funny Attributes That Suggest That You Might Be African

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.