Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,816 members, 7,810,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months (16259 Views)

5-year-old Boy Builds His Dream Bicycle (photos) / Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car / Farmer Kills 15-foot Snake In Ekiti (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by rodeo0070(m): 7:17am On Dec 23, 2012
A 55-year-old Chinese farmer has come up with a unique invention that might just make him a millionaire.

This isn’t the first time we’ve seen vehicles that run on alternative fuel sources, but Tang Zhengping’s invention is really something else. The car he built in three months is 1m high, 3m long and powered by wind. But the best part is this - it has the potential to reach a speed of 90mph (140kmph). This does seem too good to be true for a wind-powered vehicle, but Mr Zhengping from Beijing, the city that hosts the largest car show in the world, has a different story to tell.

According to Mr. Zhengping, the vehicle runs on electric generators and batteries, which are recharged by the large fan spinning in the front of the vehicle. The two solar energy wings at the back also support the generation of electricity. While one set of generators and batteries are working, another two get charged. For now, the batteries need to be charged every two days and the fan and wings provide extra electricity when the car is in motion. “It goes at a maximum speed of 140kmph and lasts longer than an electric car, which usually doesn’t have generators,” says Mr. Zhengping.

Having loved electronic gadgets since he was a child, he had the idea for this car over 30 years ago. It took him a while, but he finally put it together using only spare parts and mounting a ‘wind turbine’ on the grill. He claims that when the car reaches a speed of 40mph (60kmph), the wind generated is sufficient to create the 1.21 gigawatts of power that is needed for the turbine to charge the battery. This ensures that the battery life is extended to about three times that of an electric car. So yes, the car doesn’t exactly run on wind power, but it is ‘assisted’ by it. There’s a video available on YouTube, if you’re interested in seeing how the car works. It hasn’t had too many positive views though; most people seem to be suggesting that the fan does more harm than good to the car. The vehicle itself isn’t much of a looker either, its blue body and it’s extremely low height making it look more like a soap box racer. Whether the wind power actually helps the car or not, I suppose we could leave that to the physics experts. Some don’t believe that it really works, while others think that the fan is well-designed to take in more wind and also lower resistance on the car.

Mr. Zhengping does believe that his invention has the potential to make him his millions, if only he could find a buyer for the technology. But then he has built his dream car in just three months and it cost him only $1,600 to do it. He’s even confident that he can mass produce the car for even less than that.

Now, that’s an achievement in itself. Mr. Zhengping says, “My dream is to make a contribution to society. I’m not doing this just for the money. I want to see people driving my car on the highway. I want to serve the people.” Who knows, perhaps the cars of the future will have large fans attached to the hood.

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/entertainment/24-Dec-2012/chinese-farmer-builds-wind-powered-car

3 Likes

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by rodeo0070(m): 7:20am On Dec 23, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by ichommy(m): 8:54pm On Dec 27, 2012
Huh, Great Job *look back, Pop Alomo Bitters* 1st to comment.
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 28, 2012
The man who has done this is a farmer. I̅n our country Nigeria, sadly, we have so-called Engineers i̅n different fields of the discipline who have got nothing to show for their education. They too patronize road-side mechanics. How can we grow? This Chinese farmer should be encouraged to develop his concept further.

5 Likes

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Abujafood: 2:09pm On Dec 28, 2012
#I'm waiting for the day a Nigerian would build a Car made of carton and powered by mess#

But seriously this is a great feat, wish we Africans could be this ingenious!
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by DANILSA(m): 2:13pm On Dec 28, 2012
TO GOOD TO BE TRUE shocked shocked shocked
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by ecmsads: 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2012
That's nice.
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by LeCoq: 2:17pm On Dec 28, 2012
Chinese product...hope it will last.
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Engineer1985(m): 2:20pm On Dec 28, 2012
Thats really nice
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Troll: 2:21pm On Dec 28, 2012
LeCoq: Chinese product...hope it will last.

Even If E No Last Wetin You Don Build!? Aproko angry

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by miteolu(m): 2:22pm On Dec 28, 2012
FASHOLA & LAGOS HOLD-UP will not allow this to work in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by seedord247(m): 2:22pm On Dec 28, 2012
meetchalz: The man who has done this is a farmer. I̅n our country Nigeria, sadly, we have so-called Engineers i̅n different fields of the discipline who have got nothing to show for their education. They too patronize road-side mechanics. How can we grow? This Chinese farmer should be encouraged to develop his concept further.

Why excluding yourself?

4 Likes

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by SlyIg(f): 2:24pm On Dec 28, 2012
Made in China cars... I d fear o...
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by LeCoq: 2:28pm On Dec 28, 2012
Troll:

Even If E No Last Wetin You Don Build!? Aproko angry

where is your sense of humour? no wonder you are ramble...#SillyArse
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by outrage: 2:30pm On Dec 28, 2012
Don't blame our engineers, there's no encouragement. I am not talking about finance or cash.. But just moral support also goes a long way. Our schools is the problem.

I did a wind turbine for my final year project in school.. Beautiful piece of work, my pride and joy!
My supervisor didn't believe I will pull it off, it there were to bet I am sure he'll bet aaginst me.
That really hurt, but in a way motivated ne to put my best.. Nithing was as satisfying as I could tell him f*uk you and I did it.. Ironically.. Lol

I am willing to do more, but our society doesn't encourag it.. So don't blame our engineers.

5 Likes

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Nobody: 2:30pm On Dec 28, 2012
This is nice. Very Interesting Concept.

I believe with the right support, people with such gifts in Nigeria can build better things - not that mangled iron of a car one fellow built.
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by huninaija(f): 2:31pm On Dec 28, 2012
Truly innovative these chinkos are hardcore perfectionists... If our government had put in structures and services to support the nation, i believe nigerians would have achieved this feat along time ago...

1 Like

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Justicemy: 2:32pm On Dec 28, 2012
hmmm very soon china wil becme world no 1

1 Like

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by GAR3TH(m): 2:34pm On Dec 28, 2012
Good stuff, But I highly doubt the fan and solar panels can generate enough energy to power the car. Plus in normal driving circumstances there is very little wind due to cars drafting.
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by chuksme(m): 2:36pm On Dec 28, 2012
Nice one. Chinese has one of the best technology after japaness
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by masterpiecer(m): 2:37pm On Dec 28, 2012
very innovative, but the built looks rather ancient sha
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Nobody: 2:37pm On Dec 28, 2012
GAR3TH: Good stuff, But I highly doubt the fan and solar panels can generate enough energy to power the car.

Sure it can. Don't forget as the car drives, it generates more "Wind Energy", making the fan spin faster.
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Bishop4bella(m): 2:37pm On Dec 28, 2012
When will Nigeria government assist people who has kind of interlet in d country. Nigeria still developing, when are we goin to developed?
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by kingsceemark(m): 2:42pm On Dec 28, 2012
I hope our former president OBASANJO (farmer) go learn 4rm dis man. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Dede1(m): 2:46pm On Dec 28, 2012
@OP

The title of the thread is as deceptive as the poster. How could a car that runs on “electric generators and batteries” also powered by wind?
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by outrage: 2:46pm On Dec 28, 2012
GAR3TH: Good stuff, But I highly doubt the fan and solar panels can generate enough energy to power the car. Plus in normal driving circumstances there is very little wind due to cars drafting.
HQ:

Sure it can. Don't forget as the car drives, it generates more "Wind Energy", making the fan spin faster.

it is run on batteries, the generator and solar panels are just to charge them, as long as the batteries have charge the car can run. And as sun as the car is running the batteries charge up, so its a cycle.
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by ITbomb(m): 2:46pm On Dec 28, 2012
The way I'm seeing it. You may have to be taking it to the highways every two days to recharge.
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by APII: 2:47pm On Dec 28, 2012
So if the wind stops blowing, you will park the car by the road side. grin
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Uchenna42(m): 2:47pm On Dec 28, 2012
Hope it will be durable
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by gsmcoder: 2:49pm On Dec 28, 2012
It looks archaic, I mean barbaric. grin
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by UyiIredia(m): 2:50pm On Dec 28, 2012
Very good. Goes to show the innovation that China is becoming known for.
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by FlyboyZee: 2:51pm On Dec 28, 2012
Can someone please link me up with this guy? I urgently need to place an order. Mu he he! Mu he he!! Mu he he!!!

I also need the VIN to check if it is a lemon, green, accidented, flooded or stolen car. Please, help its urgent.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Difference Between Gsm, Gprs, Edge, Umts, Hsdpa / Hsupa, And Hspa / How To Activate Mtn 200mb For N50 And 1gb For N250 Data Bundle / NASA Confirms Earth Will Experience 6 Days Of Total Darkness In December 2014!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.