Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,530 members, 7,770,368 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:56 AM

Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months (16227 Views)

5-year-old Boy Builds His Dream Bicycle (photos) / Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car / Farmer Kills 15-foot Snake In Ekiti (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Venus20: 2:57pm On Dec 28, 2012
rodeo0070: A 55-year-old Chinese farmer has come up with a unique invention that might just make him a millionaire.

This isn’t the first time we’ve seen vehicles that run on alternative fuel sources, but Tang Zhengping’s invention is really something else. The car he built in three months is 1m high, 3m long and powered by wind. But the best part is this - it has the potential to reach a speed of 90mph (140kmph). This does seem too good to be true for a wind-powered vehicle, but Mr Zhengping from Beijing, the city that hosts the largest car show in the world, has a different story to tell.

According to Mr. Zhengping, the vehicle runs on electric generators and batteries, which are recharged by the large fan spinning in the front of the vehicle. The two solar energy wings at the back also support the generation of electricity. While one set of generators and batteries are working, another two get charged. For now, the batteries need to be charged every two days and the fan and wings provide extra electricity when the car is in motion. “It goes at a maximum speed of 140kmph and lasts longer than an electric car, which usually doesn’t have generators,” says Mr. Zhengping.

Having loved electronic gadgets since he was a child, he had the idea for this car over 30 years ago. It took him a while, but he finally put it together using only spare parts and mounting a ‘wind turbine’ on the grill. He claims that when the car reaches a speed of 40mph (60kmph), the wind generated is sufficient to create the 1.21 gigawatts of power that is needed for the turbine to charge the battery. This ensures that the battery life is extended to about three times that of an electric car. So yes, the car doesn’t exactly run on wind power, but it is ‘assisted’ by it. There’s a video available on YouTube, if you’re interested in seeing how the car works. It hasn’t had too many positive views though; most people seem to be suggesting that the fan does more harm than good to the car. The vehicle itself isn’t much of a looker either, its blue body and it’s extremely low height making it look more like a soap box racer. Whether the wind power actually helps the car or not, I suppose we could leave that to the physics experts. Some don’t believe that it really works, while others think that the fan is well-designed to take in more wind and also lower resistance on the car.

Mr. Zhengping does believe that his invention has the potential to make him his millions, if only he could find a buyer for the technology. But then he has built his dream car in just three months and it cost him only $1,600 to do it. He’s even confident that he can mass produce the car for even less than that.

Now, that’s an achievement in itself. Mr. Zhengping says, “My dream is to make a contribution to society. I’m not doing this just for the money. I want to see people driving my car on the highway. I want to serve the people.” Who knows, perhaps the cars of the future will have large fans attached to the hood.

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/entertainment/24-Dec-2012/chinese-farmer-builds-wind-powered-car
NICE smiley
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by iker: 2:59pm On Dec 28, 2012
Make u no fear , Samsung go soon copy am begin dey call am galaxy xyz
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Nobody: 3:00pm On Dec 28, 2012
outrage:

it is run on batteries, the generator and solar panels are just to charge them, as long as the batteries have charge the car can run. And as sun as the car is running the batteries charge up, so its a cycle.

My thoughts Exactly. Quite a Brilliant Concept.
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by seunajia: 3:02pm On Dec 28, 2012
ileke-idi:
In which village will this scrap of garbage be passed off as an automobile?

Table Leg: Waste of bloody time! SMH

When a Nigerian invented a similar vehicle some months back, these were the sort of replies he got. Now a chinese has made his and people are celebrating. And we'll turnaround to shout Jonathan.

4 Likes

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by tevinsolt: 3:03pm On Dec 28, 2012
stop expecting the government to do something, they haven't for the past 5 decades what makes you think they will start soon......those who will be successful will take their destinies into their own hands, and not use lack of Government interference as an excuse to wallow in their miseries.

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by ITbomb(m): 3:13pm On Dec 28, 2012
APII: So if the wind stops blowing, you will park the car by the road side. grin

Go read am again. The wind power the turbine which charge the battery that runs the car every one or two days.
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by achi4u(m): 3:19pm On Dec 28, 2012
How many of our agricultural engineers can repair a modern farming tools like tractors etc in this days?
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by scorpidmo(m): 3:25pm On Dec 28, 2012
meetchalz: The man who has done this is a farmer. I̅n our country Nigeria, sadly, we have so-called Engineers i̅n different fields of the discipline who have got nothing to show for their education. They too patronize road-side mechanics. How can we grow? This Chinese farmer should be encouraged to develop his concept further.

why won't u speak with such ignorance, when u believe nigerians are incapable of doin such, there has been numerous threads about nigerians making cars from regular stuff like a basket for crying out loud. even when such a car is made available publicly, its people like u dat'll criticize d hell out of it.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by tunjilana: 3:32pm On Dec 28, 2012
ITbomb: The way I'm seeing it. You may have to be taking it to the highways every two days to recharge.

How about having a fuel compartment in addition...so u can always start the car on fuel and switch to this when already in motion....That way u dont need to take it to the highways every two days to recharge wink

1 Like

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by PeterKbaba: 3:35pm On Dec 28, 2012
miteolu: FASHOLA & LAGOS HOLD-UP will not allow this to work in Nigeria

it most really hurt to be u
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by ositadima1(m): 3:40pm On Dec 28, 2012
IMO what he did is interesting, cars are pritty inefficient, his car kind of improves on d efficiency by channeling back to the system some of d energy .
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by gnachu2: 4:01pm On Dec 28, 2012
GAR3TH: Good stuff, But I highly doubt the fan and solar panels can generate enough energy to power the car. Plus in normal driving circumstances there is very little wind due to cars drafting.
But i think these is better, from www.mdi.lu
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Nobody: 4:23pm On Dec 28, 2012
That piece of shitt looks like it goes backward
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by alla(m): 4:31pm On Dec 28, 2012
Kudos to the chinese farmer that built the wind car, but Nigeria Guys has done more of these no encouragement to further!!!

1 Like

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by ITbomb(m): 4:31pm On Dec 28, 2012
tunji_lana:

How about having a fuel compartment in addition...so u can always start the car on fuel and switch to this when already in motion....That way u dont need to take it to the highways every two days to recharge wink
The car in essence runs on battery and not wind , the wind generator is just to charge the battery , however charging is only possible at ' He claims that when the car reaches a speed of 40mph (60kmph), the wind generated is sufficient to create the 1.21 gigawatts of power that is needed for the turbine to charge the battery.'
So no need for additional fuel compartment cos u start with the battery power.
My interest now is which road are u going to maintain 40mph needed to charge the battery if not highways.

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Wsdm: 4:33pm On Dec 28, 2012
Bishop4bella: When will Nigeria government assist people who has kind of interlet in d country. Nigeria still developing, when are we goin to developed?
... When we stop having leaders who takes stealing as a hobby.
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Iaz93: 4:34pm On Dec 28, 2012
Venus2.0:
NICE smiley
you no try oh
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Nobody: 4:41pm On Dec 28, 2012
This is the future!
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Ninilowo(m): 4:42pm On Dec 28, 2012
LeCoq: Chinese product...hope it will last.
For where?
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by sundaybam(m): 4:43pm On Dec 28, 2012
Nice invention
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Werehkpe: 4:43pm On Dec 28, 2012
WOW. U all need to c d video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQGvXx4rfUY

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Goldieluks: 4:58pm On Dec 28, 2012
Wow ! Nice one.

Nigerian inventors should try inventing something as reasonable and affordable such as this. Instead of creating a generator which is operated with the use of human urine.

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by wine4dguy: 5:59pm On Dec 28, 2012
ITbomb:
The car in essence runs on battery and not wind , the wind generator is just to charge the battery , however charging is only possible at ' He claims that when the car reaches a speed of 40mph (60kmph), the wind generated is sufficient to create the 1.21 gigawatts of power that is needed for the turbine to charge the battery.'
So no need for additional fuel compartment cos u start with the battery power.
My interest now is which road are u going to maintain 40mph needed to charge the battery if not highways.
Me thinks it is possible to not maintain up to 40mph and still charge the batteries...like applying the concept of the turbo prop system of an aircraft where he chooses to modify the gearing system that connects the propellers or blades to the generator...that way the car doesnt need to cover much distance before charging...#my opinion

1 Like

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by jude33084(m): 6:17pm On Dec 28, 2012
Justicemy: hmmm very soon china wil becme world no 1

That means you are behind in world tech news wink
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by Nobody: 6:17pm On Dec 28, 2012
Abeg na this kyn moto we need for Naija...

Drive am enter bedroom for night when light no dey so that the batteries go power the fans make sleep sweet
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by OmoTier1(m): 6:20pm On Dec 28, 2012
APII: So if the wind stops blowing, you will park the car by the road side. grin
The Wind will never stop blowing! Air is always available, and all you have to do is accelerate anything through it and you get your rotational energy. I am glad to see this combi-techonolgy has been put to use as I have always wondered why the frontal area of the car where the alternator is has never been thought of as a good position for a turbo-prop system to generate the required energy to accelerate the car despite the 'clean' air it sees.

I think what the farmer truly needs now is to get "engineers" involved to get a truly form factor designs out of this beautiful invention! Soon you may be seeing your Bugatti with a stylish frontal area housing a turbine powered by wind!

More and more, we are getting closer to sending oil to the rightful place it belongs!
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by jude33084(m): 6:25pm On Dec 28, 2012
tunji_lana:

I believe there is a capacitor attached to the battery so there is no need for combustion engine. My thought. wink
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by OmoTier1(m): 6:26pm On Dec 28, 2012
wine4dguy: Me thinks it is possible to not maintain up to 40mph and still charge the batteries...like applying the concept of the turbo prop system of an aircraft where he chooses to modify the gearing system that connects the propellers or blades to the generator...that way the car doesnt need to cover much distance before charging...#my opinion
The concept is not fully viable for cars for a number of good reasons. The area required to produce the level of thrust you need is not available in cars, the distance required to 'recover' that thrust once you have attained it is not available on land and many more. Although some have tried it before and most of the SSC like 'bloodhound count' uses something close to that but again these are speed breaking cars meant for technology demonstration
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by OmoTier1(m): 6:36pm On Dec 28, 2012
Goldieluks: Wow ! Nice one.

Nigerian inventors should try inventing something as reasonable and affordable such as this. Instead of creating a generator which is operated with the use of human urine.

Nigerian engineers are not as dumb as some of you think! We have imaginations, creativity and inventions but majorly lacks motivation and inspiration. Most of us in the West are flourishing simply because the enabling environment is there.

Imagine you wake up at night, instead of thinking of someone breaking into your house, you are drinking your cup of tea like an English man, and your heading is spinning with solutions to engineering challenges!

That has been my experience in the West. Your mind is so free to think as an engineer and your horizon is so broaden and always you think possibilities not failures!

1 Like

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by ITbomb(m): 6:37pm On Dec 28, 2012
^^^
I believe the gearing arrangement put by wine4dguy might help get the necessary thrust at a shorter distance. Maybe with a dual fan instead of one big one as in the pic

1 Like

Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by size38: 6:38pm On Dec 28, 2012
Nawa ooo for dis chinese people oo. When nigeria engineers cannot build ordinary wheel barow. A chinese farm built a wind powered car. Thats gud for their country.
Re: Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months by OmoTier1(m): 6:48pm On Dec 28, 2012
ITbomb: ^^^
I believe the gearing arrangement put by wine4dguy might help get the necessary thrust at a shorter distance. Maybe with a dual fan instead of one big one as in the pic

Gearing arrangement can't work in a ram air technology. That is why in Aircraft, you reverse the thrust and inverse the air flow to counter the acceleration.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Subscribe Startimes And GOTV With Only ₦200 For All Channels / The Difference Between Gsm, Gprs, Edge, Umts, Hsdpa / Hsupa, And Hspa / NASA Confirms Earth Will Experience 6 Days Of Total Darkness In December 2014!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.