Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:33 PM

The True Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The True Church (3186 Views)

True Church Perspective On Tithing By Pastor G. Craig Lewis ( Audio) / Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? / Which Is The True Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The True Church by Nobody: 9:25am On Dec 23, 2012
Next we turn to Japan, where the history of missions has been an amazing saga of heroism since the first Christian gospel preached by Francis Xavier in1549. For nearly a century the Church made great progress through the work of the Franciscans and Jesuits in spite of sporadic persecutions. But in 1638 the Shogun Hideyoshi decided to exterminate Christianity. When the Christians of Shimbara revolted, some thirty-five thousand of them were massacred. Some of the victims were subjected to the intolerable torture of the pit: hung upside down suspended in a hole in the ground and kept in agony for days by torturers who bled them slowly from their temples. There were many martyrs and many apostates, until finally all signs of Christianity were obliterated. Japan was sealed off from all foreign contacts for two centuries.

It was the United States that opened up a new era of the missions when Commodore Perry appeared with a naval squadron in Edo Bay in 1853 and signed a treaty of commerce and friendship with the Shogun in 1854. A year later, Catholic missionaries from Paris entered Japan and began evangelizing anew. Then an amazing thing happened: A small band of Japanese visited the little mission chapel at Nagasaki and caught the eye of Father, later Bishop, Petitjean, by their unusually pious demeanor. Conversing with them, he was dumbfounded to learn that they were believing Christians who had secretly managed to hold onto the essentials of the Christian faith for two centuries, although without priests and totally isolated from the outside world. Other groups of these crypto-Christians were gradually discovered scattered in the islands and mountains around Nagasaki - numbering in all some ten thousand. Their organisation was almost everywhere the same: Usually there were two male leaders who conducted the prayers every Sunday, baptized, and ministered consolation to the dying.

When news of this reached the ears of the Japanese authorities they reacted with fury, for Christianity was still a proscribed religion. They meted out cruel punishment to these heroic believers, some of whom died, while others went into exile.

World opinion stirred up by press reports, however, finally brought an end to the persecution, and in 1889 complete freedom of worship was granted in the new constitution.
Thomas Bokenkotter, A Concise History of the Catholic Church (all emphases mine)

2 Likes

Re: The True Church by ooman(m): 9:27am On Dec 23, 2012
There is no church except the Church of Satan to whom all praise belong
Re: The True Church by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 23, 2012
Japanese people were smart not to let this foolish foriegn religion pollute their minds.

All those missionaries were wolves in sheeps clothing
Re: The True Church by Enigma(m): 2:41pm On Dec 23, 2012
Ihedinobi: . . . . A year later, Catholic missionaries from Paris entered Japan and began evangelizing anew. Then an amazing thing happened: A small band of Japanese visited the little mission chapel at Nagasaki and caught the eye of Father, later Bishop, Petitjean, by their unusually pious demeanor. Conversing with them, he was dumbfounded to learn that they were believing Christians who had secretly managed to hold onto the essentials of the Christian faith for two centuries, although without priests and totally isolated from the outside world. Other groups of these crypto-Christians were gradually discovered scattered in the islands and mountains around Nagasaki - numbering in all some ten thousand. Their organisation was almost everywhere the same: Usually there were two male leaders who conducted the prayers every Sunday, baptized, and ministered consolation to the dying.

- No monarchical "bishop" or clergy; instead if we must say they had "bishops" in the true biblical sense of overseers, then again their pattern conforms with biblical expectation and that line from The Didache: "appoint for yourselves bishops".

- I think this description is comparable to (what I understand of) the China house church movement in the face of persecution.

- Should any of us meet with members of such groups, are we going to say they are not members of the true Church of Christ because they do not belong to a particular denomination or because they do not submit to the "authority" of the head of a particular denomination.

- Should members of those groups attend a service in our "denomination", are we going to refuse them Holy Communion? ****

**** Anecdote (based on true events).

Currently, a TV series is running in the UK focusing on the work of the leading Anglican church i.e. Westminster Abbey. In one episode, they mentioned and showed pictures from when the Roman Catholic pope visited the UK. The Anglicans are of course easy going generally and have no qualms about allowing visiting Roman Catholics to participate in Holy Communion in an Anglican service. A subsequent episode showed the return visit to Rome (the Vatican) by senior clergy of the Abbey and its Choir. The Choir of the Abbey and of the Vatican (St Peter's Basilica) sang together. However, both the Choir of the Abbey and even the most senior clergy of the Abbey were unable to participate in "Holy Communion" in the Roman Catholic service. Nuff said!

cool

2 Likes

Re: The True Church by MrAnony1(m): 2:55pm On Dec 23, 2012
Wow.........the Church always thrives best in the midst of persecution!

1 Like

Re: The True Church by Nobody: 3:05pm On Dec 23, 2012
Mr_Anony: Wow.........the Church always thrives best in the midst of persecution!

Sorry but that is an ignorant statement.

The OP was about christian persecution in Japan.

Only a retardeen would claim that christianity is thriving in Japan.
Re: The True Church by Bella3(f): 3:31pm On Dec 23, 2012
Logicboy03: Japanese people were smart not to let this foolish foriegn religion pollute their minds.

I ALWAYS NEW YOU WERE A HYPOCRTE! Only i never imagined it was this bad.
People were actualy matyred and murded and here you are saying they were right!
Do you even realise it wasnt only the missionaries that were killed bt also thousands of locals who chose to be believe?
Dnt they hav a right to believe?
Re: The True Church by Nobody: 3:33pm On Dec 23, 2012
Bélla3: I ALWAYS NEW YOU WERE A HYPOCRTE! Only i never imagined it was this bad.
People were actualy matyred and murded and here you are saying they were right!
Do you even realise it wasnt only the missionaries that were killed bt also thousands of locals who chose to be believe?
Dnt they hav a right to believe?

Did I say it was right?

I dont support unnecessary murder.

However, the missionaries were not innocent. A better solution would have been to to round them up and send them back to where they came from
Re: The True Church by Bella3(f): 3:42pm On Dec 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

Did I say it was right?

I dont support unnecessary murder.
REALY? Coz what you wrote suggested otherwise.

[/quote]
However, the missionaries were not innocent. A better solution would have been to to round them up and send them back to where they came from[/quote]SO YOU'D GIVE YOUR BLESS IF ATHEISTS ARE BUNDLED OUTTA AFRICA? COZ AS FAR AS OUR CULTURE IS CONCERNED, THERE HAS ALWAYS BEEN A GOD/god BOTH SEEN AND UNSEEN.
Logicboy03: Japanese people were smart not to let this foolish foriegn religion pollute their minds.

1 Like

Re: The True Church by Nobody: 3:53pm On Dec 23, 2012
Bélla3: REALY? Coz what you wrote suggested otherwise.

However, the missionaries were not innocent. A better solution would have been to to round them up and send them back to where they came fromSO YOU'D GIVE YOUR BLESS IF ATHEISTS ARE BUNDLED OUTTA AFRICA? COZ AS FAR AS OUR CULTURE IS CONCERNED, THERE HAS ALWAYS BEEN A GOD/god BOTH SEEN AND UNSEEN.Japanese people were smart not to let this foolish foriegn religion pollute their minds.

1) The Japanese people were smart enough to know that the missionaries were not coming to do good. However, their approach to stopping them was wrong.

2) Atheism is not a religion. It is global. People can become atheists on their own. My grandma was an atheist/agnostic without even leaving her village or learning English.

3) There was no visa system then and so travel needed harsh sanctions like exile.
Re: The True Church by Bella3(f): 4:07pm On Dec 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

1) The Japanese people were smart enough to know that the missionaries were not coming to do good. However, their approach to stopping them was wrong.

2) Atheism is not a religion. It is global. People can become atheists on their own. My grandma was an atheist/agnostic without even leaving her village or learning English.

3) There was no visa system then and so travel needed harsh sanctions like exile.

1. Realy?
2. Your grandma was atheist?shocked do you mean pagan?
3. So atheists should be put on first class flights? LOL.
Re: The True Church by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 23, 2012
Bélla3: 1. Realy?
2. Your grandma was atheist?shocked do you mean pagan?
3. So atheists should be put on first class flights? LOL.

1) You have nothing to say
2) Atheist/agnostic
3) Nonsense
Re: The True Church by Bella3(f): 4:35pm On Dec 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

1) You have nothing to say
2) Atheist/agnostic
3) Nonsense
You're the one who has nothing to say. Supporting murder(shame on you). Doing thesame thing you accuse religionists of, SHAME.
ATHEISM=HYPOCRISY
Re: The True Church by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 23, 2012
Bélla3: You're the one who has nothing to say. Supporting murder(shame on you). Doing the same thing you accuse religionists of, SHAME.
ATHEISM=HYPOCRISY

1) I never supported murder. You are just ranting

2) Even if I did, that wouldnt make me an atheist hypocrite. That would only make me a bad person. Atheism has no moral codes. smiley
Re: The True Church by Bella3(f): 5:20pm On Dec 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

2) Even if I did, that wouldnt make me an atheist hypocrite. That would only make me a bad person. Atheism has no moral codes. smiley
And something that has no moral code is what you want the whole of mankind to follow? TUFIAKWA.
BTW. Evryone knws you are one profesional 'ranter' on this section is YOU.

1 Like

Re: The True Church by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 23, 2012
Bélla3: And something that has no moral code is what you want the whole of mankind to follow? TUFIAKWA.
BTW. Evryone knws you are one profesional 'ranter' on this section is YOU.

Your ignorance is speaking.

I am not moral because I am an atheist. I am moral because I am a human being and I am a humanist.
Re: The True Church by ijawkid(m): 6:07pm On Dec 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

I am not moral because I am an atheist. I am moral because I am a human being and I am a humanist.

And who told you you are moral....you immoral agaracha....lol...grin
Re: The True Church by Nobody: 6:23pm On Dec 23, 2012
ijawkid:

And who told you you are moral....you immoral agaracha....lol...grin

Sharaap
Re: The True Church by Bella3(f): 6:44pm On Dec 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

infact make i go call obadiah for you. Am sure he has a word or two for a heathen who takes pleasure in the matyr of brethren.grin

2 Likes

Re: The True Church by Nobody: 7:00pm On Dec 23, 2012
Bélla3: infact make i go call obadiah for you. Am sure he has a word or two for a heathen who takes pleasure in the matyr of brethren.grin

Re: The True Church by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 23, 2012
Enigma:

- No monarchical "bishop" or clergy; instead if we must say they had "bishops" in the true biblical sense of overseers, then again their pattern conforms with biblical expectation and that line from The Didache: "appoint for yourselves bishops".

- I think this description is comparable to (what I understand of) the China house church movement in the face of persecution.

- Should any of us meet with members of such groups, are we going to say they are not members of the true Church of Christ because they do not belong to a particular denomination or because they do not submit to the "authority" of the head of a particular denomination.

- Should members of those groups attend a service in our "denomination", are we going to refuse them Holy Communion? ****

**** Anecdote (based on true events).

Currently, a TV series is running in the UK focusing on the work of the leading Anglican church i.e. Westminster Abbey. In one episode, they mentioned and showed pictures from when the Roman Catholic pope visited the UK. The Anglicans are of course easy going generally and have no qualms about allowing visiting Roman Catholics to participate in Holy Communion in an Anglican service. A subsequent episode showed the return visit to Rome (the Vatican) by senior clergy of the Abbey and its Choir. The Choir of the Abbey and of the Vatican (St Peter's Basilica) sang together. However, both the Choir of the Abbey and even the most senior clergy of the Abbey were unable to participate in "Holy Communion" in the Roman Catholic service. Nuff said!

cool

On point. I'd agonized quite a bit over this Church thing for quite some time before I read this.

Mr_Anony: Wow.........the Church always thrives best in the midst of persecution!

So very true, twin bro. When the world is at home with us, we're in danger of losing our way, our prophecy, our calling.

1 Like

Re: The True Church by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 23, 2012
Ihedinobi:

On point. I'd agonized quite a bit over this Church thing for quite some time before I read this.

So very true, twin bro. When the world is at home with us, we're in danger of losing our way, our prophecy, our calling.

Why are you ignoring me? cry cry
Re: The True Church by MrAnony1(m): 8:20pm On Dec 23, 2012
Ihedinobi:

True
Re: The True Church by Nobody: 8:22pm On Dec 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

Why are you ignoring me? cry cry

Sorry. Hi, how've you been? Won that poster of the year thing yet? smiley
Re: The True Church by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 23, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Sorry. Hi, how've you been? Won that poster of the year thing yet? smiley

Nope....PDP derailed me
Re: The True Church by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

Nope....PDP derailed me

Ndo oo. Some years are like that.
Re: The True Church by Nobody: 8:43pm On Dec 23, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Ndo oo. Some years are like that.

What do you mean some years? How long have you been on this forum? I thought you came this year?
Re: The True Church by Nobody: 9:39pm On Dec 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

What do you mean some years? How long have you been on this forum? I thought you came this year?

Actually August last year but got appreciably active June this year. Regardless, I just meant that things don't always work to suit one's whims.
Re: The True Church by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 23, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Actually August last year but got appreciably active June this year. Regardless, I just meant that things don't always work to suit one's whims.

You could have voted for me. Infact, you can still change your vote. wink

You know that I deserve to win.

You asked me if I have won, you didnt ask how the election was going!
Re: The True Church by Nobody: 10:21pm On Dec 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

You could have voted for me. Infact, you can still change your vote. wink

You know that I deserve to win.

You asked me if I have won, you didnt ask how the election was going!

Lol. I'm following the voting thread. I'm not commenting because I find the banter boring. But I think you're going neck and neck with Goshen.

About changing my vote, not a chance, dude grin

1 Like

Re: The True Church by Nobody: 10:38pm On Dec 23, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Lol. I'm following the voting thread. I'm not commenting because I find the banter boring. But I think you're going neck and neck with Goshen.

About changing my vote, not a chance, dude grin

grin grin grin
Re: The True Church by MrAnony1(m): 10:29am On Dec 24, 2012
Logicboy03:

Very interesting.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

End-time Bible Teaching: The Book With The 7 SEALS, PART 2 (rev 6 Vs Math 24) / The Lies Christian Religion Tell! / Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.