Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,659 members, 7,844,135 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame (15051 Views)

Show Of Shame As Govt, Security Officials Turn Govt House To Boxing Arena / Chatham House: Stage Managed Show Of Shame By Buhari, APC – Fani Kayode / Nairaland Politics Section Hall Of Shame 2012 - Grand Finale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by free37: 7:30pm On Dec 24, 2012
Seun did the best thing.
Seun should have done it earlier, when they tribal bigots started taking over the forum.

2 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by OAM4J: 7:31pm On Dec 24, 2012
Some of you are missing the points here. It is not because of what Seun wants but because of the way he went about it and the wrong impression he (may be unknownly) made about the moderators here.

Seun owns the site, he is entitled to his opinion on every matter and he can use his influence to promote his opinion. We have no problem with that.

The moderators did not nominate Achebe, the process that put him forward is open and transparent, we only collated results openly. The result does not represent the views of the moderators. So if Seun has a problem with the process or the result, all he needed to have done was to send us a message and we will respect his wishes, inform the public of it and carry them out.

When we got a memo that Afam was not qualified to stand for election as a poster of the year, Jarus fought for 2 days to let it slide but for superior arguments of not laying bad precedence, we disqualified him, got attacked and insulted. We didnt mind.

But for Seun to open this thread and make it look like the moderators did wrong, is not only unfair and leaving a bad taste, but he also created a bad atmosphere for us to continue to work as moderators, cos he just reignforced the wrong opinion of those who think we are biased with the way we moderate. That is unacceptable.

11 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by free37: 7:31pm On Dec 24, 2012
Mr. Globe:
All these moderators demanding respect from Seun pls resign too, its not by force. You earn your respect, you don't get it by cheap blackmail. You will not see the smart moderators here talking nonsense. we know you are not being paid, did anybody force you? smh.
Mischievous folks

God bless you. tongue tongue
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Nobody: 7:32pm On Dec 24, 2012
Please where can i get the book in lagos before it goes out of stock? I no fit buy the pirated copy courtesy of Alaba boys.
chromoTop:
wow very interesting grin
subjective and biased book reviews by all the reviewers, quoting Achebe wrongly right?
welcome to Freedom's paradise. grin
You probably need to get a copy fast. Running out of stock.
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by free37: 7:33pm On Dec 24, 2012
OAM4J: Some of you are missing the points here. It is not because of what Seun wants but because of the way he went about it and the wrong impression he (may be unknownly) made about the moderators here.

Seun owns the site, he is entitled to his opinion on every matter and he can use his influence to promote his opinion. We have no problem with that.

The moderators did not nominate Achebe, the process that put him forward is open and transparent, we only collated results openly. The result does not represent the views of the moderators. So if Seun has a problem with the process or the result, all he needed to have done was to send us a message and we will respect his wishes, inform the public of it and carry them out.

When we got a memo that Afam was not qualified to stand for election as a poster of the year, Jarus fought for 2 days to let it slide but for superior arguments of not laying bad precedence, we disqualified him, got attacked and insulted. We didnt mind.

But for Seun to open this thread and make it look like the moderators did wrong, is not only unfair and leaving a bad taste, but he also created a bad atmosphere for us to continue to work as moderators, cos he just reignforced the wrong opinion of those who think we are biased with the way we moderate. That is unacceptable.

The MODs allowed their tribal sentiments to affect their judgement.
Seun did the best thing for his site.

3 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by manny4life(m): 7:34pm On Dec 24, 2012
ekt_bear:

So before people vote on who wins the NL Hall of Shame, nairalanders a whole should also vote to see if the nominee is legitimate? grin

Not if there's so much noise about a certain nominee, isn't that how cases are done in CA?

What is the point of that roundabout process? Why not have people just vote once, rather than twice? Nobody does the roundabout procedure you are suggesting anywhere in the world.

You look at it as "round about", but in the real sense of it, that's how it's done. The DNC candidates are voted by the inner caucus who make the party. After then the DNC will select individuals who go out to the ordinary primaries where they campaign, supporters will vote for their lovely candidate, after that, then the general election.... Right or wrong, isn't that how it's done? Even in awards, isn't that how it's done?

Look, anybody should be qualified to be nominated, so long as they meet the qualifications.

I have no issues with who should be qualified to be nominated. What I said was, there's no democratic rules "as yall claim" in place

Do you also suggest this strange procedure for ALL elections on Nairaland? Or just this particular one for hall of shame?

I only corrected an opinion that it was "DEMOCRATIC", which is why I stated that IT WASN'T. At least, the democratic system I'm exposed to for so damn long, this is not how it's done.

Using your suggestion, then so long as a candidate has 50%+ of Nairalanders who support him, he won't be nominated. I'm guessing that GEJ wouldn't have made it last year, for example.

No, unless there's an overwhelming 3/4 of ballot of support or objections, that takes majority. In votes, it's 3/4 or some figure past 65% or something. If less than that, the candidate is DROPPED.

See, this is the whole r3tarded thing about Seun's argument, that a majority of people support Achebe.

Seun has his opinions and reasons, I cannot speak on behalf of his, although I'd say that there was an overwhelming support that should have halted certain procedures.

Fine, let's say that 60% of Nairalanders and Nigerians support him. But that 40% strongly oppose him.

At least, for the spirit of democracy you claim, exercise it first. When proposition 8 was fought all the way to SCOTUS, the opponents kept winning all the way.

If he has the highest "strongly oppose" # of all of the candidates, and all others are below 40%, then isn't it logical for Achebe to win the hall of shame?

I dodn't know how you plot your own system, my issue isn't the result, but the process is highly flawed

How can one use the people who LIKE a person to determine who wins hall of shame? It makes zero sense.
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by babapupa: 7:34pm On Dec 24, 2012
ekt_bear:

So before people vote on who wins the NL Hall of Shame, nairalanders a whole should also vote to see if the nominee is legitimate? grin

What is the point of that roundabout process? Why not have people just vote once, rather than twice? Nobody does the roundabout procedure you are suggesting anywhere in the world.

Look, anybody should be qualified to be nominated, so long as they meet the qualifications.

Do you also suggest this strange procedure for ALL elections on Nairaland? Or just this particular one for hall of shame?

Using your suggestion, then so long as a candidate has 50%+ of Nairalanders who support him, he won't be nominated. I'm guessing that GEJ wouldn't have made it last year, for example.

See, this is the whole r3tarded thing about Seun's argument, that a majority of people support Achebe.

Fine, let's say that 60% of Nairalanders and Nigerians support him. But that 40% strongly oppose him.

If he has the highest "strongly oppose" # of all of the candidates, and all others are below 40%, then isn't it logical for Achebe to win the hall of shame?

How can one use the people who LIKE a person to determine who wins hall of shame? It makes zero sense.

Very well said, but logic and common sense is something he knows nothing about especially when his argument is a reflection of the same devisive and hate book he's defending.

Process matters only when its in their favor. Dude is a despicable hypocrite.

lol @ roundabout process.
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by chromoTop: 7:38pm On Dec 24, 2012
manny4life:

Why complain? Have you been lost all this while not to see the overwhelming majority that were against it? Even Mr. Billionaire (one of those I respect their opinions), spoke about it. Some even started several threads, in the complaint section, people were against it and here you are claiming in your first paragraph like a saint. Please, let's leave all this "DEMOCRATIC BULLSH.IT".
Now your voice got stronger to annul the result? quite effective to influence the result than the voting process? right? If you had got to the voting process and cast your vote against the motion, majority should have won. wouldn't it?

I'm glad I did not participate in such bigotry, everyone talks about democratic but have thorough understand or exposure how other democratic systems work. When NL decides to do it, they should do it right.

A year ago is not the same date as today, neither is last week or last month same as today. People's perception, opinions, ideas and what have you revolve and change depending on different circumstance. That is why there's check and balances in the democratic process to checkmate these things "just in case", the faves becomes the worst, others can still express their opinions and views.
well that is actually true, very well suited, that is why people who have voted Achebe into fame chose to vote him into shame. Aiint nothing wrong with the process man! I would vote him in a year ago as the most honorable man living. same as i will vote him today as a shame act. lexis don't work it.

I may like someone today, and be enemies with them tomorrow, should that alter how I'll deal with them in the future? YES, it will because we've changed.
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Jarus(m): 7:38pm On Dec 24, 2012
To me, the matter is not one of Achebe or not. I personally respect Achebe and I never even dabbled into the whole debate. When people nominated Achebe, there was nothing I could do to it, even though I silently didn't want his name on the list. But I checked the rules, none was broken. So there was nothing I could do.have

Now, Seun, as the capitalist owner of Nairaland has every right to make a business case for the exclusion of Achebe. He could have sent us an email that 'gentlemen, the acceptance of Achebe nomination will not augur well for Nairaland. Please strike out his name from that list' . Even though I won't take that automatically and would argue with him that bending the rule also diminishes the whole exercise and similar ones, it will be easier for us to come to agreement and perhaps remove his name or cancel the exercise altogether for this year.

But coming open with such disrespectful posts, without consulting us in our usual channel of communication, is unacceptable to me. It is disrespectful. Even my employer won't do that to me, not to talk of this purely voluntary thing.

This is actually not he first time Seun rebukes his mods in public. I won't take that.

The only condition that can warrant my return is for him to apologise.

Else, he should take his job and give the Afams and PointBs, who're already lobbying.

5 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by manny4life(m): 7:39pm On Dec 24, 2012
babapupa:

Very well said, but logic and common sense is something he knows nothing about especially when his argument is a reflection of the same devisive and hate book he's defending.

It's very unlikely to see FOES call you good name, even Rep. Boehner calls Pres. Obama all sorta unprofessional names, so go figure.

On DIVISIVE I STAND, YES I'M HYPOCRITE. now go and die... grin grin grin grin
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by free37: 7:40pm On Dec 24, 2012
Jarus: To me, the matter is not one of Achebe or not. I personally respect Achebe and I never even dabbled into the whole debate. When people nominated Achebe, there was nothing I could do to it, even though I silently didn't want his name on the list. But I checked the rules, none was broken. So there was nothing I could do.have

Now, Seun, as the capitalist owner of Nairaland has every right to make a business case for the exclusion of Achebe. He could have sent us an email that 'gentlemen, the acceptance of Achebe nomination will not augur well for Nairaland. Please strike out his name from that list' . Even though I won't take that automatically and would argue with him that bending the rule also diminishes the whole exercise and similar ones, it will be easier for us to come to agreement and perhaps remove his name or cancel the exercise altogether for this year.

But coming open with such disrespectful posts, without consulting us in our usual channel of communication, is unacceptable to me. It is disrespectful. Even my employer won't do that to me, not to talk of this purely voluntary thing.

This is actually not he first time Seun rebukes his mods in public. I won't take that.

Else, he should take his job and give the Afams and PointBs, who're already lobbying.

It is not by force to be a MOD.
You were highly tribalistic.

4 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by chromoTop: 7:41pm On Dec 24, 2012
berem: Please where can i get the book in lagos before it goes out of stock? I no fit buy the pirated copy courtesy of Alaba boys.
Pirated copy good for you! support home grown business.
trust me Alaba copy is good. Just a little more extra jabs at Awolowo and Yoruba people . wink
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by free37: 7:42pm On Dec 24, 2012
babapupa:

Are you still here?
Hopeless human being.
grin grin grin
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by ijebabe: 7:42pm On Dec 24, 2012
Another reason to avoid this section. Some of you lot are just capital fools!

I hope Jarus and OAM4J will reconsider because they are one of the best moderators Nairaland has. No one is perfect but they do a very good job.

*Unfollows thread*

1 Like

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 24, 2012
Seun does not have the capacity to make an independent, unbiased, unemotional factually and logically sound decision. It tells a lot about Nigeria start ups. Many exist as a result of accident of luck not as a product of sound and cerebral judgement.

I am out.

1 Like

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Nobody: 7:45pm On Dec 24, 2012
To make this more fun, pointb and eko ile should become the new MODs.
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by free37: 7:45pm On Dec 24, 2012
Prof Corruption: Seun does not have the capacity to make an independent, unbiased, unemotional factually and logically sound decision. It tells a lot about Nigeria start ups. Many exist as a result of accident of luck not as a product of sound and cerebral judgement.

I am out.
ijebabe: Another reason to avoid this section. Some of you lot are just capital fools!

I hope Jarus and OAM4J will reconsider because they are one of the best moderators Nairaland has. No one is perfect but they do a very good job.

*Unfollows thread*

Nobody will miss you.
grin grin tongue tongue

2 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by manny4life(m): 7:46pm On Dec 24, 2012
@Chromatop,

I get all you're saying, but if we're to look at democratic upturns at the U.S. (the democratic state in the world), yes, people's voice actually do overturn results. Ask ektbear, that's why they introduce proposition as a special ballot in general elections - let the general public "ONCE AGAIN" decide using an "OVERWHELMING MAJORITY" what they want, is it right or wrong. Should it be upheld or thrown out, etc.

We may NEVER agree, which is fine and I respect it, but IMO, for someone to claim, this was a flawless democratic process is just annoying because it isn't. He could be on the list, or perhaps, taken the shame crown, it doesn't really matter because people like myself and I really don't give a hoot. NL isn't that serious yet to be taken for it's value, till then, fame/shame results are waste of time to me.

1 Like

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Nobody: 7:47pm On Dec 24, 2012
free37:

Nobody will miss you.
grin grin tongue tongue

Dude, I am not leaving Nairaland. I am addicted to it same way I am addicted to Nneka.
But I am out of this thread, it stinks. It turns logic upside down.
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by MrGlobe(m): 7:50pm On Dec 24, 2012
doubles
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by MrGlobe(m): 7:51pm On Dec 24, 2012
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 24, 2012
Whoa! Its high time i entered the kitchen to start frying my already steamed chicken make nairaland no carry all my time today.am wishing you all a merry xmas! Cheers!

3 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Freiburger(m): 7:53pm On Dec 24, 2012
berem: Whoa! Its high time i entered the kitchen to start frying my already steamed chicken make nairaland no carry all my time today.am wishing you all a merry xmas! Cheers!
lol same to you. grin
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by chromoTop: 7:54pm On Dec 24, 2012
Jarus: To me, the matter is not one of Achebe or not. I personally respect Achebe and I never even dabbled into the whole debate. When people nominated Achebe, there was nothing I could do to it, even though I silently didn't want his name on the list. But I checked the rules, none was broken. So there was nothing I could do.have

well if You and OAMJ4 are one of the finest moderators like people say, then he has to apologize to you guys and you should play the usual hard to get and just come back. If its ok for you. Otherwise its a voluntary thing, move on and maintain your respect.
float your forum and i will visit once in a while. wink
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by coogar: 7:55pm On Dec 24, 2012
i really don't understand manny's position in this schitzo.....
are you saying the voice of the people should be ignored because achebe is the best thing since sliced bread or what exactly is your point here?

1 Like

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Feraz(m): 7:57pm On Dec 24, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Dude, I am not leaving Nairaland. I am addicted to it same way I am addicted to Nneka.
lol
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by free37: 8:01pm On Dec 24, 2012
Prof Corruption:

it does not.
When YORUBAS called GEJ a fisherman, you supported it.
So if Achebe calls Awo a killer (which he is), what is wrong? * like i said nobody will miss you*
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Metalgoong(m): 8:01pm On Dec 24, 2012
Have the two moderators fulfilled their resignation threats? grin grin grin grin grin
Last I checked, you guys ( Jarus & OamJ ) still have your names on the POL section page as moderators . .
You guys should yank off your names immediately to pave way for more responsible moderators. grin grin

3 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by skolob: 8:01pm On Dec 24, 2012
Jarus, you messed up big time......

You give threats and can not hold your own. See how excellently Oam4j replied. You should be replaced for seeking an apology. Does the apology erase the bad impression? As if, I knew, you were only bluffing.

1 Like

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by MrGlobe(m): 8:01pm On Dec 24, 2012
OAM4J: Some of you are missing the points here. It is not because of what Seun wants but because of the way he went about it and the wrong impression he (may be unknownly) made about the moderators here.

Since its obvious you were not part of the whole process why did you resign too? Why didn't you ask seun questions and submit your disaproval of his action (even though he acted right tho) through 'your usual channel' before hurriedly resigning? you see your hypocrisy? you wanted to blackmail him for doing the right thing. You have to work on your temperament not just for nairaland.

Abeg seun go mama iyabo joint for ota collect odeku for my head cheesy Nice job.

6 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by free37: 8:02pm On Dec 24, 2012
Feraz: lol

He is already begging.
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by manny4life(m): 8:04pm On Dec 24, 2012
coogar: i really don't understand manny's position in this schitzo.....
are you saying the voice of the people should be ignored because achebe is the best thing since sliced bread or what exactly is your point here?

My position is my confusion , more so unpleasant anger, if I may, towards those claiming this was "fair, flawless democratic process". I'm only proving that in the real democratic world, though we're virtual, this process was seriously and grossly flawed. I even said this is why I do NOT participate in things like this.

I also made clear that I care less about the results - whether hall of fame/shame, to me, that's highly irrelevant. If an outsider took a look at the last 10/20 threads with the highest number of traffic and where to judge based on post/poster that's enshrined in bigotry, why should they give credence to hall of fame/shame results?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

Charly Boy Group Resumes Anti-Buhari Protest Over Corruption (Photos) / Police Rescues Emmanuel Sunday Ekpuk Kidnapped Over Support For Udom / North Should Be On Its Knees Begging For An Igbo President In 2023 ― Ohanaeze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.