Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,584 members, 7,770,527 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:25 AM

Would You Encourage A Family Member To Get Plastic Surgery? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Encourage A Family Member To Get Plastic Surgery? (637 Views)

Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? / Celebrating Birthdays For February 29th Born Family Member? / Ladies Would You Encourage Your Husband To Take A Second Wife If: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Encourage A Family Member To Get Plastic Surgery? by 849503: 8:48pm On Dec 25, 2012
I am a female in my early twenties in college. I want a nose job (and also braces for my messed up teeth) after I graduate college, but my mother and younger brother are trying to talk me out of it.
My appearance has been a personal problem of mine apart from my studies since I was 10 years old. Guys (and a few girls and even teachers) would call me ugly. My first crush in my junior secondary broke my heart by telling me I was unattractive and he ended up choosing a girl 10x prettier than me. I can list a lot of girls who I think look better than me.
I have never had a boyfriend and I don't feel like I'll ever get married if I have to live with the way I look because at least 50 - 60% of guys only care about looks than personality. I was shocked when my mom objected to me getting surgery when I get older because I thought parents weren't supposed to care about anything else their children do as long as they are doing well in their studies. Although I'm in college studying law and doing well, I'm still not happy and I cannot wait until I graduate.
Re: Would You Encourage A Family Member To Get Plastic Surgery? by Gloriagee(f): 2:09pm On Jan 15, 2013
No, I won't encourage a family member to get plastic surgery. But, I won't stop anyone bent on getting work done, except there are potential health complicatns.

TBH, I'm not sure u need plastic surgery. U'd be amazed what a good skin care regimen would do. Get ur hair done nicely, mild make up, develop a pleasant personality and not to forget self confidence - U'd be amazed at the transformation.

Sometimes, it's not bout being beautiful but ur carriage matters. I just can't get over the feelin that u're not ugly but just think u are. Heard of anorexia - slim people thinkin they're fat.

N parents will keep caring bout their children even if they r doing well in their studies, cos evry aspect of ur life is inter related. Say for instance, u have relatnship issues, u'd most likely be unable to concentrate and end up seeing a drop in ur performance at ur studies.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Would You Encourage A Family Member To Get Plastic Surgery? by Nobody: 9:34am On Jan 16, 2013
[size=13pt]Only if he or she is disfigured or has excess or sagging skin from extreme weight loss. And maybe for a woman who has nursed children and has hopelessly south bosoms. Stress, emphasis, keyword being on maybe. I know some women have confidence issues with that.[/size]
Re: Would You Encourage A Family Member To Get Plastic Surgery? by Nobody: 9:42am On Jan 16, 2013
I won't encourage plastic surgery in most instances because, as an Igbo man will say, "o di veli veli expensive".

The only exception would be if it is medically necessary. Sagging bosoms are okay, at least, the woman would be able to hug more effectively. cool
Re: Would You Encourage A Family Member To Get Plastic Surgery? by djeezy(m): 9:52am On Jan 16, 2013
If it'll make him/her feel better, then why not? I would encourage a family member only in circumstances I deem necessary, like health complications and inter alia
Re: Would You Encourage A Family Member To Get Plastic Surgery? by EfemenaXY: 12:03pm On Jan 16, 2013
The thing about plastic surgery is this: Once you go down that route, you'll never be satisfied. How much really is enough? You might start of thinking, "I only need to have a nose job done, nothing more"...but after that, you might look in the mirror and feel something else needs to be "tweaked" just so you get that perfect look. Take Micheal Jackson for example. He probably started off wanting to do just that one nose job...

There is no such thing as the "perfect" look. It's elusive and a thing of the mind. Apart from plastic surgery for cosmetic purposes being really expensive, going under the knife always comes with it's own risks...and it's not just about having the surgery done. You need to ensure you have an appropriate after care plan in place.

Having the braces done is a good idea as it helps correct the way your teeth grow and is usually recommended by dentists after they've examined you. It's always a good idea to speak with your dentist first and get their professional opinion on this before you commence any plan of action.

Re plastic surgery: I would only encourage a family member to get this done if it's for medical / life saving reasons, but definitely not for cosmetic purposes. Remember also that getting surgery done is just a font. It doesn't change who you really are or your DNA make-up, so you need to be aware that if a man is only interested in you for your looks and you get married based on that, then remember that there is every likelihood that your kids will take after you. I.e some of your facial features (which you aren't comfortable with) would also be passed on to them too...

I think I read an article here on nairaland about a guy who successfully sued his wife for ($120,000 I think) for tricking him, based on the fact that he never knew what she looked like before her plastic surgery make-over...and was shocked to see that the kid they had together looked just like mum did before the surgery.

(1) (Reply)

Drunk Kid Kill Mother. / Selfless paralysed man donates £20,000 to a youngster who needed vital surgery. / Mandela’s Ex-wife Winnie Wants His Ancestral Qunu Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.