Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,105 members, 7,842,194 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 11:14 PM

Ban On Knock-out(banger)....how True? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ban On Knock-out(banger)....how True? (1418 Views)

Buhari, Obama, Ban Ki-Moon At UN General Meeting (Photos) / You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari / Police Ban Knock-Out This Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ban On Knock-out(banger)....how True? by ponana(m): 10:46pm On Dec 25, 2012
I heard that Lagos state placed a ban on the popular xmas-toy that we know as banger. The people in my area are creating nuisance with the rate and manner with which they are terrorizing the whole area with the deafening sounds generated by the knock-outs. I wonder how the sale of bangers and the importing still take place even after the supposed ban.
Re: Ban On Knock-out(banger)....how True? by Nobody: 7:52am On Dec 26, 2012
Beleive me, in my area here in Jos, its hell with this banger thing, people explode high powerd banger here on xmass eve's night, I was scared to my pants as it may be difficult to differenciat btween d souds and dat of real explosions I had heard b4! But nobody seems to be caring and to think dat Jos suppose to be under strict order on dis banger thng!
Re: Ban On Knock-out(banger)....how True? by naptu2: 8:04am On Dec 26, 2012
It has been illegal since 1984/85. However the law is generally ignored (apart from the usual warnings every December).

If someone is disturbing you or harassing you with fireworks, you have the right to report the person to the police.
Re: Ban On Knock-out(banger)....how True? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Dec 26, 2012
naptu2: It has been illegal since 1984/85. However the law is generally ignored (apart from the usual warnings every December).

If someone is disturbing you or harassing you with fireworks, you have the right to report the person to the police.
Do u mean report to NPF or NYPD? grin
Re: Ban On Knock-out(banger)....how True? by naptu2: 12:34pm On Dec 26, 2012
cogitoErgo:
Do u mean report to NPF or NYPD? grin

I was somewhere on Lagos Mainland. In my entire life I've never seen such a co-ordinated fireworks attack! Youths attacked a building with fireworks.

A man was able to escape from the building (through the window). He returned 10 minutes later with policemen (he had gone to report at the station), but by that time the youths had vanished.
Re: Ban On Knock-out(banger)....how True? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Dec 26, 2012
naptu2:

I was somewhere on Lagos Mainland. In my entire life I've never seen such a co-ordinated fireworks attack! Youths attacked a building with fireworks.

A man was able to escape from the building (through the window). He returned 10 minutes later with policemen (he had gone to report at the station), but by that time the youths had vanished.
I can see ur argumnt, but if that s d approach then nobody will b arrestd, fo nobody will throw banger and wait fo police to come and arrest him/her!
d ways to handle this could only be, first of all outright ban on that thing across d nation, anybody caught with it gets arrested immediatly and straight to court; then plain cloth police patrolng some known banger flash points, when they see any irate youth with the thng, they go after them, get them nd let them spend some weeks till after d celebration(if they are juvenile) or send to police detention till after d celebration if they ar older!
Re: Ban On Knock-out(banger)....how True? by naptu2: 3:42pm On Dec 26, 2012
cogitoErgo:
I can see ur argumnt, but if that s d approach then nobody will b arrestd, fo nobody will throw banger and wait fo police to come and arrest him/her!
d ways to handle this could only be, first of all outright ban on that thing across d nation, anybody caught with it gets arrested immediatly and straight to court; then plain cloth police patrolng some known banger flash points, when they see any irate youth with the thng, they go after them, get them nd let them spend some weeks till after d celebration(if they are juvenile) or send to police detention till after d celebration if they ar older!

Yeah! I was reacting to your "call the police" comment.

When the unauthorised use of fireworks were first made illegal in '84 pro-active measures were taken to curb its use. However, those measures have not been replicated since 1986. My example highlighted a citizen making a complaint. What was done in the mid 80s and what needs to be done now is to

1) Enforce the ban on the importation of fireworks. These things are not made in Nigeria. How did they get through the ports? How did they get through the borders?

2) Raid warehouses where these fireworks are stored.

3) Arrest the dealers, importers and petty traders who trade in fireworks.

4) Arrest people who use the fireworks.

5) Educate people about the dangers posed by unauthorised use of these things (fire, injury, robberies, etc).

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Was Having Sëx With Mary Magdalene. - Mallam El-rufai / Buhari Also Visited Adeboye - But God Exalts Only The Humble! / Oil In Bayelsa Belong To Jigawa We Will Spill Our Blood " Hon Faruk Aliyu"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.