Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,111 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:55 AM

FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. (4929 Views)

FRSC Officials In Ibadan Sitting In Their Van Carelessly / FRSC Reveals Real Cost Of Obtaining A Driver's Licence / Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by Fatdon(m): 10:12am On Dec 27, 2012
Worried by the incessant road mishaps in the country, Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) has said as from next year, any commercial driver that has not attained the minimum age of 26 years would not be issued with driving licence.

The FRSC alleged that underage commercial drivers were responsible for some of the road crashes, which were recorded in the country.

Kwara State Sector Commander of FRSC, Mr. Christopher Ademoluti, who dropped the hint in Ilorin yesterday, during the commencement of the issuance of commercial driver’s licence in Ilorin, said: “The measure would enable commercial drivers to have the maturity to drive and convey lives of others safely.”

He said: “We want to put the minimum age of a commercial driver in Nigeria at 26 to enable them have the experience, maturity and expertise to drive and convey the lives of other people, unlike the present system where we have under-aged people like 16 year-olds driving commercial vehicles.”

Ademoluti, who said the upgraded National Drivers Licence (NDL) was capable of reducing road traffic crashes on Nigerian roads, added that the NDL contains data of commercial drivers, serving as checks on them and making to be more careful and responsible.

He added: “With the new divers licence, we want to have all the data of the commercial drivers in Nigeria. We don’t want to have a driver who drives 18-seater bus to endanger the lives of the 18 people. It is only one commercial driver that dies where 18 people die.”

Ademoluti also said six driving schools had been approved in Nigeria to train commercial drivers before they are issued with new driver’s licence, “unlike when ordinary motor boys apply for drivers licence after just three months with a senior commercial driver without passing any theoretical application test of driving.”

He also said the biometric documentation of all licenced drivers would aid in tracking down criminal activities in the society.

Ademoluti also said it would stem the huge loss of revenue accruing to the state via unpatriotic citizens through their illicit activities in the parallel production of NDL.
www.thisdaylive.com/articles/frsc-commercial-drivers-must-be-26-to-get-licence/134621/
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by saintkola(m): 10:35am On Dec 27, 2012
A step in the right direction!
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by Nobody: 10:36am On Dec 27, 2012
Another stupidity from an organization that should not even be in existence trying to perpetuate and justify its existence. This is the only federation that federal cops are issuing local traffic tickets. Another holdover from militarization of Nigeria thinking. Please implement the Oronsaye report so we scrap this along with so many other wasteful and ineffective government agencies

4 Likes

Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 27, 2012
jerseyboy: Another stupidity from an organisation that should not even be in existence

We know people like you very well. Cynical and ignorant junkies

2 Likes

Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by honey001(m): 10:40am On Dec 27, 2012
18 would have been better.
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 27, 2012
He said: “We want to put the minimum age of a commercial driver in Nigeria at 26 to enable them have the experience, maturity and expertise to drive and convey the lives of other people, unlike the present system where we have under-aged people like 16 year-olds driving commercial vehicles.”

while i understand and appreciate the principle, there is a contradiction here - where are they going to get the experience and expertise from? its not as if commercial drivers are from a strata of society that has would provide their children with personal vehicles. they will have no access to cars to get driving experience - private owners and institutions are even less likely to hire people below 26 for the same reasons

this is a catch 22

the real culprit and villain in this are the FRSC themselvs, who have turned a drivers license into a piece of plastic a cripple can pay 5000 for.

the only thing you can count on the FRSC to actively enforce is a revenue driving venture like the new license plates or those ridiculous reflective stickers

1 Like

Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by U09ce: 10:41am On Dec 27, 2012
Why d discrimination btw commercial nd private drivers? 8 yrs gap is too much.Is FRSC tryin to tell me that maturity begins at 26? I even doubt it will see the light of the day
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by Nobody: 10:50am On Dec 27, 2012
J12:

We know people like you very well. Cynical and ignorant junkies

You have no clue how societies are organized. You need to pick up on your readings. Start with the US constitution (since we claim to have copied it), the bill of rights and the federalist papers. Then you might begin to understand why Nigeria is messed up.
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by Serendipity: 10:51am On Dec 27, 2012
It is execrable that Nigeria is rudderless. This move is quixotic and unfeasible and at best a hokum.
Granted, averagely maturity may come with age. But this is relative. Were FRSC not green in road safety issues, the would have concentrated on schooling prospective commercial drivers on road safety signs and other things like the use of head lamp, indicator etc.
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by gbanikiti(m): 10:58am On Dec 27, 2012
Na by that one? Dem for say 40years! Mtscheeew!
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by plendil: 12:00pm On Dec 27, 2012
oyb:

while i understand and appreciate the principle, there is a contradiction here - where are they going to get the experience and expertise from? its not as if commercial drivers are from a strata of society that has would provide their children with personal vehicles. they will have no access to cars to get driving experience - private owners and institutions are even less likely to hire people below 26 for the same reasons

this is a catch 22

the real culprit and villain in this are the FRSC themselvs, who have turned a drivers license into a piece of plastic a cripple can pay 5000 for.

the only thing you can count on the FRSC to actively enforce is a revenue driving venture like the new license plates or those ridiculous reflective stickers

Isn't that why we have driving schools?
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by yomalex(m): 12:02pm On Dec 27, 2012
he can join the army at 18 he can get married at 18 he can get a regular licence at 18 but he cant get a commercial licence at 18 he has to wait till 26. this must be a joke

3 Likes

Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by Nobody: 12:08pm On Dec 27, 2012
plendil:

Isn't that why we have driving schools?

driving schools ke - by the time one goes through the ones i see in lag, one may be an even than danfo drivers cheesy

plus i don't think you are going to get that many driving hours from a driving school - which is what i think frsc is trying to push for
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by ralfo85(m): 12:34pm On Dec 27, 2012
I don't think setting an age limit of 26 is a good idea. I believe any adult man of 21 may choosing driving as a career. Why limit them?
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by ignis: 1:25pm On Dec 27, 2012
ralfo85: I don't think setting an age limit of 26 is a good idea. I believe any adult man of 21 may choosing driving as a career. Why limit them?
You are on point.
Many young fresh graduates decides to start commercial driving to make both ends meet while waiting for the so called white collar jobs.
Why the age limit?
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by mosunade(f): 1:49pm On Dec 27, 2012
jerseyboy: Another stupidity from an organization that should not even be in existence trying to perpetuate and justify its existence. This is the only federation that federal cops are issuing local traffic tickets. Another holdover from militarization of Nigeria thinking. Please implement the Oronsaye report so we scrap this along with so many other wasteful and ineffective government agencies

What have you said?
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by UCyril: 2:06pm On Dec 27, 2012
jerseyboy: Another stupidity from an organization that should not even be in existence trying to perpetuate and justify its existence. This is the only federation that federal cops are issuing local traffic tickets. Another holdover from militarization of Nigeria thinking. Please implement the Oronsaye report so we scrap this along with so many other wasteful and ineffective government agencies
people like u are some of the problems we ve in this country.
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by jenti: 2:17pm On Dec 27, 2012
A very corrupt n worthless organisation. While the police is making frantic efforts from their leadership to do better n reduce corruption, FRSC had taking over as perhaps the most corrupt public organisation in Nigeria
Nothing good can come from a corruption- ridden organisation as FRSC as it is presently constituted. I suggest a total scrap or a complete transformation. Until then, expect anything reasonable or otherwise
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by chloride6: 2:18pm On Dec 27, 2012
U.Cyril:
people like u are some of the problems we ve in this country.

are u high?
so you actually agree to this trash.

you are d actual problem in this country.

no hard feelings bro.
just my 2keys. angry angry angry
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by Nobody: 2:29pm On Dec 27, 2012
30 would be better, they would be more matured undecided
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by UCyril: 2:42pm On Dec 27, 2012
chloride6:

are u high?
so you actually agree to this trash.

you are d actual problem in this country.

no hard feelings bro.
just my 2keys. angry angry angry
For u to talk about crapping FRSC simply means u ve a problem with ur reasoning.do u kw how many lifes ve been saved on the road by that organization,and u are here talking rubbish.be properly guided
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 27, 2012
jerseyboy:

You have no clue how societies are organized. You need to pick up on your readings. Start with the US constitution (since we claim to have copied it), the bill of rights and the federalist papers. Then you might begin to understand why Nigeria is messed up.

Your brain should be the S.I unit for stupidìty.
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by chloride6: 3:03pm On Dec 27, 2012
[quote author=U.Cyril]For u to talk about crapping FRSC simply means u ve a problem with ur reasoning.do u kw how many lifes ve been saved on the road by that organization,and u are here talking rubbish.be properly guided[/quo

don't get it twisted bro!!!
i am not contending the fact that frsc saves lives,all i am saying is that the new introduced age limit is unacceptable.
as a sixteen year old,i could drive better than many drivers on the road.maturity is not proportional to age!!
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by eggy(m): 3:24pm On Dec 27, 2012
How in heavens name do they come up with this laws...

A mad man behind the wheel is a mad man behind the wheels...be "he" 18 or 56yrs old.

26yrs of age is not a guarantee that1 will obey traffic rules.

I will suggest a review of the process via which this LAWS are chucked out..

We have 2 many laws already enforcing them should be the priority..
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by eggy(m): 3:32pm On Dec 27, 2012
oyb:

this is a catch 22

Yeah. I remembered wen the brought out that dumb reflective stickers Idea...Gosh!

They scrapped it and ltr said it applied to jus commercial buses....SMH
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by Nobody: 3:57pm On Dec 27, 2012
J12:

Your brain should be the S.I unit for stupidìty.

I cannot even phantom what exactly about my post is objectionable to you. I wish you could say something sensible other than abuse but alas I give up. The job of the FRSC is handled in the US not by the Federal or state or county governments but by municipalities. I suggest you go live in more civilized clime for a few years. It will do you immense good. In the mean time READ. Maybe then you will have something more intelligent to say. Maybe.
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by Nobody: 4:16pm On Dec 27, 2012
eggy:

Yeah. I remembered wen the brought out that dumb reflective stickers Idea...Gosh!

They scrapped it and ltr said it applied to jus commercial buses....SMH

FRSC is grasping at straws. They know they have no relevance. The job they are doing is that of the traffic section of a police department. FRSC has been under attack from those who know better from day one. They then resorted to all kinds of maneuvers to make believe they are indispensable. National drivers license, national car plate numbers and eventually this injustice to young people. We can send them to fight wars at 18 but we won’t let them drive commercial vehicles. By the way shouldn’t this kind of law emanate from the national or state assemblies and not a state FRSC operative?

Of all the agencies recommended for closure FRSC is the only one able to fight for its survival because they have plenty of money. Guess where that money comes from. BRIBES. They are 'lobbying' politicians around the clock to take them off the list. I suspect they will succeed.
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by Nobody: 5:03pm On Dec 27, 2012
jerseyboy:

I cannot even phantom what exactly about my post is objectionable to you. I wish you could say something sensible other than abuse but alas I give up. The job of the FRSC is handled in the US not by the Federal or state or county governments but by municipalities. I suggest you go live in more civilized clime for a few years. It will do you immense good. In the mean time READ. Maybe then you will have something more intelligent to say. Maybe.

My friend. In Nigeria, its the responsibility of the FRSC to make and regulate traffic laws and policies. I think you don't know the scope of their duties and responsibilities. If you knew, you won't typing all that crap.
I'm not sure you live in the US or you just flew in some months ago. If you do, you'll know that the states control the DMV's.

2 Likes

Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by AZeD1(m): 5:05pm On Dec 27, 2012
This has got to be one of the retarded ideas in 2012. How do this people keep on coming out with such rubbish?
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 27, 2012
Ademoluti also said six driving schools had been approved in Nigeria to train commercial drivers before they are issued with new driver’s licence, “unlike when ordinary motor boys apply for drivers licence after just three months with a senior commercial driver without passing any theoretical application test of driving.”

This change is of far greater significance than the new minimum age requirement.
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by mollie12: 7:58pm On Dec 27, 2012
The real issue with this is that most people that go into commercial driving do so because they have to make ends meet and there is no other way. Creating an age restriction on this profession will only end up increasing the hardship of people and worsening the unemployment situation. The FRSC need to rethink this one.

By the way, as someone already said, a crazy driver is a crazy driver, whether 18 or 78 years old. And most of the lawless commercial drivers I've encountered didn't look like they were anything below 20.
Re: FRSC: Commercial Drivers Must Be 26 To Get Licence. by stantob(m): 8:29am On Dec 28, 2012
gbanikiti: Na by that one? Dem for say 40years! Mtscheeew!
I think 70years should be best since a 19year old man is not man enough.They should critically look into things causing road accident and not creat more unemployment thereby increasing the level of kidnapping by 2013. Anyway how many commercial drivers have licence?

(1) (2) (Reply)

4 Top Car Sale Websites Used By Nigerians To Buy Cars From USA / Toyota Highlander Hybrid / Lexus RX 350 Jerking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.