Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,489 members, 7,770,202 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:16 AM

Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria (64798 Views)

Guidelines In Obtaining Driver’s Licence For First-timers / FRSC Reveals Real Cost Of Obtaining A Driver's Licence / Old Number Plates, Driver's Licence Expire Sept 31, Says FRSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by nich(m): 8:57pm On Mar 13, 2013
The gist about VIO/FRSC/LASTMA harassing people about driver's licence has gone virile. Different stories have emanated about people being fined =N=20,000 for having a 'fake' licence. First of all, did these people print the licence in their houses or offices? Leaving this as a rhetorical question, i decided to search for information online. Below is what i found:

(For applications submitted in manual forms)
The license holder will obtain an application form from the VIO/BIR representative at the licencing office. The applicant will complete the form and submit it to one of the FRSC officers who will capture the information on the form into the Drivers’ License application. The Applicant will then need to make payment for the application at a bank using an application id number which will be issued by the FRSC officer. Once payment has been made, the applicant will take the acknowledgement slip to the BIR officer in the licencing office for registration. The applicant will then proceed to the VIO officer in the licencing office for screening and approval. After this, an FRSC officer at the licencing office will capture the applicant’s biometric information and issue a temporary drivers’ license which will be valid for 60 days. The driver’s licence will be available for collection within the 60 day period.

(For applications submitted electronically)
The Applicant will access and complete the online application form. The Applicant will then need to make payment for the application either at a bank or online. Once payment has been made, the applicant will take the acknowledgement slip to the BIR representative in the licencing office for registration. The applicant will then proceed to the VIO officer within the licencing office for screening and approval. After this, an FRSC officer at the Information Processing Center will capture the applicant’s biometric information and issue a temporary drivers’ license which will be valid for 60 days. The driver’s licence will be available for collection within the 60 day period.

source: frequently asked question section of https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/

Now, great people of Nairaland, can anyone who has had the opportunity to get a purported original driver's licence done in the last 6months please educate me(us) because the referenced site seems to be talking about a crazy process that seems to make close to no sense to me.

Thank you in anticipation of a worthwhile discussion.

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by nich(m): 8:44am On Mar 14, 2013
Hello Mod(s)!

hmmmmm... don't you think this topic would get lost in this section? undecided

I think there should be a more appropriate section for this topic so that people can at least find it (for education purpose) even if people don't post at all. I believe, at least, one person could learn something from my previous post. smiley

singing Chris Brown's Pls don't judge me ...
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Korrection(m): 11:30am On Mar 14, 2013
Please what's the website??..is it nscdc.datsall..am I second or first to comment..datz all
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by ZUBY77(m): 11:30am On Mar 14, 2013
those LASTMA thieves believe they have the right to treat anything about vehicles.
Pack a vehicle, lastma says you didn't park well. Bring 20,000.

Load goods, lastma says you loaded too much or too small. bring 20,000.

Carry passengers, lastma says you have too many or too little.. Bring 20,000.

Carry a girl in front of a car, lastma says she is not your wife, bring 20,000.

Go to Lastma office, you see all the Agberos wearing yellow shirts with brown teeth all over the place discussing the party they attended the previous evening with 20,000.

We are creating these monsters by ourselves and we point fingers at GEJ all the time.

23 Likes

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by nngozi4life(f): 11:30am On Mar 14, 2013
---
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by pillzthadrugz(m): 11:30am On Mar 14, 2013
Wetin concern okada with seat belt?......Na una cry na..........wey pple like us dey fly 1st class.

buh wait oooo wea my car key
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:32am On Mar 14, 2013
How much is it?

Plus is the 60days stated true or just bluff? undecided
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by AK481(m): 11:36am On Mar 14, 2013
nich: Hello Mod(s)!

hmmmmm... don't you think this topic would get lost in this section? undecided

I think there should be a more appropriate section for this topic so that people can at least find it (for education purpose) even if people don't post at all. I believe, at least, one person could learn something from my previous post. smiley

singing Chris Brown's Pls don't judge me ...
Is that all?...ok,let me ask my wife on top of me
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Ebestsmscom: 11:39am On Mar 14, 2013
60 days, just for a license.

This is crazy.

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:39am On Mar 14, 2013
Oh 3rd to comment dancing kukere.Menwhile i need mine but it has expier since 2007,but someone here told me they can make it in naija & bring it to me here.is very costly here in germany. But with this development hw possible is it now?
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by tunapawizzy: 11:41am On Mar 14, 2013
too long....can someone please summarize for me
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by ZUBY77(m): 11:42am On Mar 14, 2013
dannysteve99@ya:
Oh 3rd to comment dancing kukere.Menwhile i need mine but it has expier since 2007,but someone here told me they can make it in naija & bring it to me here.is very costly here in germany. But with this development hw possible is it now?

Dont worry. It costs 5000 naira and three days here. Just your passport photograph and data.
Contact me

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by gen2briz(m): 11:43am On Mar 14, 2013
I dönt want to say anything now and my oga on top will say another..

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Orpelin: 11:43am On Mar 14, 2013
Wait till I read the whole store....
Daz all!
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by KingPradas(m): 11:46am On Mar 14, 2013
website fail doesn't even show start application.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by stagger: 11:47am On Mar 14, 2013
As of now, Lagos centres do not have any materials for the biometric capture. It is a matter of driving around with the three forms and the teller of payment so that when you are stopped, you present these to the police.

I have never seen this type of nonsense in my life. Where is Osita Chidoka to stop this nonsense? How cna you bring a policy without thought as to the cost implications and logistics?

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by rockcitie: 11:48am On Mar 14, 2013
Legit1: How much is it?

I paid more than a month ago to obtain the so-called form and as I speak, i'm yet to do the capturing cuz their machine has been bad for almost 2 months! So there's no way the 60 days can even be achieved. Nothing works in this country yet all these LASTMA & co. will want innocent pple to pay for what's not their fault.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by igbsam(m): 11:48am On Mar 14, 2013
Korrection: Please what's the website??..is it nscdc.datsall..am I second or first to comment..datz all

I don't want to say something now and my oga at the top will say another thing grin

4 Likes

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Temismith(f): 11:48am On Mar 14, 2013
Parking space reserved!
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Korrection(m): 11:50am On Mar 14, 2013
Is dat all?
igbsam:

I don't want to say something now and my oga at the top will say another thing grin
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:50am On Mar 14, 2013
Driver's license is a joke in nigeria, even if you don't know how to put key inside ignition, just pay and you will obtain a license for driving.
another name of this country is SORRY!!

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by igbsam(m): 11:51am On Mar 14, 2013
Korrection: Is dat all?

Wait Wait Wait, Wait Wait Wait Wait Wait.....datz all grin

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Bryancrox(m): 11:53am On Mar 14, 2013
Dis 1 na story,i work opp license office,i dnt have car yet bt have beinq helpinq my frnds 2 do deres, wit jst #3500 yhu ve ur license...Real matters

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:55am On Mar 14, 2013
Legit1: How much is it?

The 60 days temporary license thing is very true and getting the license costs close to #7000 (not including some other photocopying costs that could amount to #500) no kidding, it is cuh-razzy!!
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by midetinz(m): 11:55am On Mar 14, 2013
It's just a country where witchaunting is the order of the day. At first most licences are either issued from frsc,local govt or even vio offices. Some crooks within splits just declared them as fake! You would have expected a warning ahead of renewals of individual licences to be at their designated approved centres. But surprisingly sponsored area boys and condemned military personnel in black and white suddenly filtered all routes in Lagos state arresting cars and declaring "suspected forged drivers licence" on drivers. Simply unfair as a lot are unaware. They'll bill you 10k and you end up paying extra 13k before they can release ur car.(Imagine 13k for license). The lagos vio are even worse off. May God punish VIO. 33k no be beans nau.

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by crusufixo(m): 11:55am On Mar 14, 2013
This is quite an informative thread. Mine expired recently and I have being hearing stories of the processes in getting one and quite frankly its seems frustrating,stressful and scary. So please, can anybody who has gone through the processes, give a detailed explanation ( including costs ) on how to go about it.And also, locations of the offices. I would really appreciate if anyone can respond to this. Thanks
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 14, 2013
My sister was made to pay N20,000 just 2 weeks ago over an expired licence, though in the end, she 'settled' them with N12,000. My licence has also expired, but honestly just thinking about all the hassles to obtain another gives me the jitters. Oh well, I just have to do the needful.
BTW, if I decide to fill the forms online, where are the designated FRSC offices in Lagos to do my biometrics. The last time I renewed was at the office in Gbagada / Oworonsoki. Is that centre still functional?
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by goldfish80(m): 12:05pm On Mar 14, 2013
Last 2 months I did My vehicle license renewal, I brifly asked τhe licensing officer what it would take to get a drivers license renewal,as mine would expire by June, he said its 6k,but because of me, he will take 5k & the card will be ready same day...it doesn't sound difficult to ♍e
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by trix1: 12:06pm On Mar 14, 2013
Some people seem to have filled the form and paid the fee, but Nobody here has said they have the new licence.
please is there ANYONE who has the new licence?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Help, I Bashed My Friend's Car / Most Popular Luxury Car Brands And Where They Are Produced(photos) / A Nigerian Made This Tv Stand From A 2017 Mercedes Benz Gle Bumper (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.