Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,669 members, 7,823,894 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

List Of Notable Men When Nigeria Was Based On Regional Form Of Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / List Of Notable Men When Nigeria Was Based On Regional Form Of Government (1020 Views)

Amechi's AIT Interview On Focus Nigeria Was A Shame! / Ahmed Musa Ibeto, Niger Deputy Governor Ejected Out Of Government House / ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

List Of Notable Men When Nigeria Was Based On Regional Form Of Government by oilyngbati3(m): 8:15pm On Dec 27, 2012
I want to compile list of Nigerians that made an impact on Nigeria/Nigerians via their respective regions. I will also appreciate it if anybody can also contribute MEANINGFULLY to this thread. Please, tribalist should steer clear of this thread as this is mainly for educational purpose;;;;Thanks in advance. Here we go;;;;;;

Northern Region:

Sir Ahmadu Bello: Premier of Northern region. He was a very smart administrator as he carried the entire north along. He made every northerner feel at home irrespective of their ethnicity and religion. The only downside to this honorable man was that he favoured foreigners (expatriates) over his fellow Nigerians of southern extraction;;;;so let the current and future generation be the judge.

Sir Abubarka Tafabalewa: our first and only prime minister. This was a very humble man. His negative was he allowed himself to a tool in the hand of the Sarduana;;;;;so let the current and future generation be the judge

Aminu Kano: A fine politician is all I can say (If anybody know more about this man, please bare it all out for current and future generation), Thanks.

Western Region:

Chief Obafemi Awolowo: Provided free education for the western region. The only down side to this great man was the introduction of tribalism to nigeria's polity which I personnally will commend him for. I say this because the man Awolowo made us realise that Nigeria was not one and "a mere geographical expression". It's as if Chief Awolowo predicted nairaland if we are to go by the tribal bickering on this site. Chief Awolowo can also be commended for providing one the best form of checks and balances of government in the form of opposition during the first republic. He never compromised with the ruling NCNC/NPC ruling party during the time in discourse;;;;could this be the reason he was imprisoned? He (Awolowo) is not the present type of opposition we have today in the form of APGA/ACN/CPC who are no much different from the ruling PDP government.

Chief S.L Akintola : Another visionary leader from the western region. Although, he was involved in the imbroglio with his rival Chief Awolowo which resulted in the "operation wetie", which in turn lead to the intervention of the military in Jan'66, but something struck me about this man. As I read about him, I realised that he aligned with the north over Awolowo because he felt his people, Yorubas were loosing out in the national arena. I guess theame scenario is playing out today were yoruba elders are bye-passing Tinumbu to seek favors from the ruling PDP government headed by Dr. G E Jonathan to include Yoruba in some key posts of his government;;;;again, could I be wrong?

Midwestern Region:
Don't really know much about leaders from here, but I managed to string together some few notable ones.

Chief Osadebe: 1st and only premier of the defunct midwestern region.

Chief Okotie Eboh: Nigeria's 1st federal commissioner of finance. Some say he was flamboyant chap, but with great sense of humour.

Eastern Region:

Dr. Nnamdi Azikwe : He was the father of nigerian independence and her fisrt president. He was very naive as regards the incompability of nigerians as a people. Majority of Ndigbo, his own people rarely talk about him and rightfully so. He spoke nigeria's three major languages- Igbo, yoruba and Hausa;;;;but na that we wan chop?

Dr. Michael Oparah: Premier of eastern region and a friend to Chief Awolowo. He was one of the best premiers at the time as he set out to industrialise the east before those Khaki boys sruck.

Chief Eto Itta: Correct me if am wrong, I think he was the first premier of the eastern region before been displace by Zik?

Sir Francis Akanu Ibiam: Educated at university of st. Andrews, UK where he bagged a degree in medicine, Akanu Ibian was the first governor of the eastern region from 1960-1966, before those khaki boys "dabaru" everything.

Others can add to the list if they can.
Re: List Of Notable Men When Nigeria Was Based On Regional Form Of Government by k2039: 8:41pm On Dec 27, 2012
[color=soyouquotedme]The common denominator between all of them was their ethnic bigotry(especially Sarduana and Awolowo).

They are the architect of mordern ethnic bigotry in Nigeria, they laid the foundation and the fools we have now have chosen to learn from their bigotry rather than their good qualities.
[/color]

(1) (Reply)

Lies Behind 9/11 / An Open Letter To Afam4ever; Co-Moderator,Politics Section!! / Werner Freund, German Wolfman, Feeds Wolves From His Mouth As Pack's 'alpha Male

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.