Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,202 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census (1288 Views)

Quirinius' Census Is An Important Historical Marker For ‪‎Jesus‬' Birth - But... / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / The Reasons You Must Stop Arguing With Atheist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by mantraa: 4:31pm On Dec 28, 2012
MEDIA RELEASE

On 7 December Atheist Alliance International (AAI) launched Atheist Census at www.atheistcensus.com, a global project to count and capture a snapshot of the world’s atheists. The response to Atheist Census was very positive, with 8,880 entries confirmed and another c. 2,300 pending before it was taken offline as a result of a DoS (denial of service) attack, about 17 hours after launch.

Atheist Census is now back online with a higher level of protection, and entries have already grown to over 20,000. The President of Atheist Alliance International, Carlos A. Diaz, said "It seems that there are people who do not want atheists to be counted, who do not want to accept that as more people question and think critically about religion atheists are a growing demographic. It is a measure of the project's success - even at this early stage - that some people wanted to shut it down." He added "While truth and fair public policy are not determined by popularity, demonstrating the significance of the non-religious community will assist our efforts to promote a secular world. I encourage all atheists to be counted in Atheist Census."

Participants in Atheist Census identify their preferred non-religious title, religious (if any) background, education level level, age, gender identity and country. Participation is free, with an option to make a financial donation to help cover development and operating costs.

www.atheistcensus.com

As of today 28/12/12 the number is at 128,713 atheists registered worldwide and rising very fast. However, The number of nigerian atheists so far is only 28. Please stand up and be counted and register your existence.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Affiliated(m): 4:53pm On Dec 28, 2012
Just got counted under the category of free thinker
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by wiegraf: 5:07pm On Dec 28, 2012
Iran dey top 10. Turkey top 5. 9ja with 28 only... cheesy
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by tobechi20(m): 5:32pm On Dec 28, 2012
Dat a gud development. Instead of being scarted without fact.

PROBLEM

one with 6 yahoo id can register 6 times

ateism is gradualy creeping to a religon
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 28, 2012
Now who is doing this DDOS? Religious Anonymous abi grin grin!

Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by UyiIredia(m): 5:48pm On Dec 28, 2012
tobechi20: Dat a gud development. Instead of being scarted without fact.

PROBLEM

one with 6 yahoo id can register 6 times

ateism is gradualy creeping to a religon

I have since being arguing that atheism is a religion. And atheists have done nothing tangible to convince me otherwise.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by AtheistD(m): 6:25pm On Dec 28, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

I have since being arguing that atheism is a religion. And atheists have done nothing tangible to convince me otherwise.

Yawn undecided

You can argue all you want but it is clear that atheism isnt a religion.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Affiliated(m): 6:35pm On Dec 28, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

My dictionary defines religion as (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural. Does that sound like atheism to you?
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 28, 2012
Affiliated:

My dictionary defines religion as (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural. Does that sound like atheism to you?
bros no warre na! Na small small water de drop tik tok come full bucket for licking tap. Make we dei go small you go see your god! cheesy grin grin. no forget register oh we wan know our rival "religion" after islam grin since from statistics after christian, muslim na atheist de follow oh and very fast for that one.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Affiliated(m): 7:16pm On Dec 28, 2012
hisblud: bros no warre na! Na small small water de drop tik tok come full bucket for licking tap. Make we dei go small you go see your god! cheesy grin grin. no forget register oh we wan know our rival "religion" after islam grin since from statistics after christian, muslim na atheist de follow oh and very fast for that one.

Lol. OK oh. Once God don enter the paro no be atheism again na.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 28, 2012
wiegraf: Iran dey top 10. Turkey top 5. 9ja with 28 only... cheesy
FRONTPAGE moderator abeg so that them go quick quick register sharperly grin
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 7:23pm On Dec 28, 2012
Affiliated:

Lol. OK oh. Once God don enter the paro no be atheism again na.
as una de tell us sai na white man carry deceive us to believe in one jew, tao make we sedon wait some more time we go see na. After that we go see various denomination of atheist who believe this and that grin
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 28, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

oh am i pleased to hear this news, 2 thess 2 is gradually fulfilling before our eyes grin man of sin must appear soon and the glorious light of Christ must appear to destroy him halleluyah soon! Please atheist fast fast register mobilize inform. All you religious anonymous make una stop that ddos attack oh make them register na. grin grin
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 7:32pm On Dec 28, 2012
Wow!
Majority of the people are between 15-24.
The world is welcoming more intelligent beings. A few decades and atheism will be the most widely accepted belief.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Affiliated(m): 7:39pm On Dec 28, 2012
inurmind: Wow!
Majority of the people are between 15-24.
The world is welcoming more intelligent beings. A few decades and atheism will be the most widely accepted belief.

You know it has a lot to do with the cycles of the earth. The earth is kind of just waking up at the end of one of its cycles. Its inhabitants would get more intelligent.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 28, 2012
inurmind:
The world is welcoming more intelligent beings.
Would you mind explaining ?
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 28, 2012
Update 129, 095 registered. Please moderator do sumthing sharperly
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 8:03pm On Dec 28, 2012
Reyginus: Would you mind explaining ?

Okay, it's like we are evolving. Day by day people keep giving birth to children who are more intelligent than they are, more children who question, who think, who reason, and at last more children who challenge.
Very soon people will be less focused on the present primitive values of life like getting rich, marrying early, having lots of kids and dying. They would instead be more focused on finding out the truth. There would be more historians, more astronauts, more archeologists, more scientists etc.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 8:11pm On Dec 28, 2012
inurmind:

Okay, it's like we are evolving. Day by day people keep giving birth to children who are more intelligent than they are, more children who question, who think, who reason, and at last more children who challenge.
Very soon people will be less focused on the present primitive values of life like getting rich, marrying early, having lots of kids and dying. They would instead be more focused on finding out the truth. There would be more historians, more astronauts, more archeologists, more scientists etc.
How does it relate to atheism?
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 28, 2012
Reyginus: How does it relate to atheism?

How doesn't it?
People will stop being satisfied with "princess and the frog" like holybooks and would instead be seekers after truth.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 8:36pm On Dec 28, 2012
inurmind:

How doesn't it?
People will stop being satisfied with "princess and the frog" like holybooks and would instead be seekers after truth.
wow! Are all intelligent people atheists? All atheists are intelligent?
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 28, 2012
Reyginus: wow! Are all intelligent people atheists? All atheists are intelligent?

Of course you do not expect me to say yes. I know a lot of intelligent theists, although they always disappoint me when it comes to challenging religious principles, they always seem satisfied being comfortably blind and shut their eyes to the unconventional. To be an atheist you most likely have to had done some thinking, questioned, reasoned and challenged orthodox principles. You most have sought for truth and made sensible conclusions, and that does call for some degree of intelligence.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 28, 2012
inurmind:

Of course you do not expect me to say yes. I know a lot of intelligent theists, although they always disappoint me when it comes to challenging religious principles, they always seem satisfied being comfortably blind and shut their eyes to the unconventional. To be an atheist you most likely have to had done some thinking, questioned, reasoned and challenged orthodox principles. You most have sought for truth and made sensible conclusions, and that does call for some degree of intelligence.
That's not the question. From your Post 17 you seem to be associating atheism with greater intelligence. And I ask, are all atheists intelligent?
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by honeychild(f): 9:10pm On Dec 28, 2012
inurmind:

....or you may have become an atheist because you found yourself in a society where being religious is simply not 'cool' anymore. It seems to me that a lot of the 'atheists' on this board just joined a bandwagon. Just my opinion though....don't attack me for 'evidence'.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 9:39pm On Dec 28, 2012
Reyginus: That's not the question. From your Post 17 you seem to be associating atheism with greater intelligence. And I ask, are all atheists intelligent?

The term "intelligence" varies in understanding and application. Like I said before, Atheists are intelligent in the sense that they reasoned, they questioned, they did not just accept orthodox principles laid down for them to follow, they actually sought after truth.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 9:42pm On Dec 28, 2012
inurmind: Like I said before, Atheists are intelligent in the sense that they reasoned.
Lol. Mr Intelligence. Is intelligence a product of reason or vice versa?
Truth? What truth?
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 9:44pm On Dec 28, 2012
honeychild:

....or you may have become an atheist because you found yourself in a society where being religious is simply not 'cool' anymore. It seems to me that a lot of the 'atheists' on this board just joined a bandwagon. Just my opinion though....don't attack me for 'evidence'.

Funniest thing since "fellow widows". When you yourself know that being an atheist in Nigeria is like being a Ghanaian in Ukraine.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 9:52pm On Dec 28, 2012
Reyginus: Lol. Mr Intelligence. Is intelligence a product of reason or vice versa?
Truth? What truth?

Intelligence is the ability to reason profoundly.
To your latter question though, I think we will be going nowhere with that since we believe in different truths.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 28, 2012
inurmind:

Intelligence is the ability to reason profoundly.
To your latter question though, I think we will be going nowhere with that since we believe in different truths.
Lol. Dude you're funny. Intelligence is to reason profoundly? Seriously?
What then is ability to understand faster? Any profound reasoning is intelligent? Lol.
Different truths! Okay. let's ignore it for now.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 10:16pm On Dec 28, 2012
Reyginus: Lol. Dude you're funny. Intelligence is to reason profoundly? Seriously?
What then is ability to understand faster? Any profound reasoning is intelligent? Lol.
Different truths! Okay. let's ignore it for now.

That's exactly why I said the term "intelligence" varies in understanding and application. And when I said profound I meant meaningful. So yes, meaningful reasoning does connote intelligence. In this sense it is the ability to reason meaningfully.
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 28, 2012
inurmind:

That's exactly why I said the term "intelligence" varies in understanding and application. In this sense it is the ability to reason meaningfully.
No, it doesn't vary. How we understand it varies. If we understand it differently, we'll also apply it in accordance. Now back to the question. Are all atheists intelligent? Are all intelligent people atheist?
Re: Take Part In Worldwide Atheist Census by Nobody: 10:27pm On Dec 28, 2012
inurmind:
And when I said profound I meant meaningful. So yes, meaningful reasoning does connote intelligence. In this sense it is the ability to reason meaningfully.
How does profound, as in deep, translate to meaningful?
Lol. Again what makes a reasoning meaningful?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Muslims Who Beat Muhammad And Islamic Ideology In His Game: Ex-muslim Speaks. / Discover The Power Of Praise And Thanks Giving / Why Are 'cele' Still In Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.