Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,472 members, 7,823,097 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? (19321 Views)

Rivers University Expels Student For Having Speech And Hearing Challenges / Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students / New Varsity, Federal University, Lokoja, Admits 200 Students, Takes Off In Janua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by nuges1(m): 9:21am On Dec 29, 2012
shadelek: Its absurd to expel students for not attending church service. God did nt even ask us to serve him by force so whats d reason 4 expelin those students! Bulshit
. I still feel a piece i§ missing in dis whole delima#quote me
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by ajayioluwatobi(m): 9:22am On Dec 29, 2012
An advanced SECONDARY SCHOOL.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by kasheemawo(m): 9:22am On Dec 29, 2012
SamConquer: U GUYS ARE JOBLESS...@OP AND NAIRALAND..Y IS IT THAT IF COVENANT UNIVERSITY SNEEZE U WILL MAKE NOISE ABOUT IT.,IS IT THE ONLY UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA OR U GUYS ARE JUST LOOKING FOR TROUBLE COS IS A XTIAN UNIVERSITY..Y DNT U GUYS ATTACK CRESENT UNIVERSITY AND THEIR LIKES WHICH ARE ISLAM UNIVERSITY...OHH I GET IT WHEN U ARE JUST XCEPTIONAL GREAT,NUISANCE WIL TALK ABOUT U..IS JUST BECOS COVENANT UNI. IS THE BEST SCHOOL IN NIGERIA..CHRISTIANPHOBIA HAVE BCUM THE ORDER OF THE DAY IN NAIRALAND..U GUYS TALK EVIL ABOUT OUR SPIRITUAL LEADERS ANYHOW..WAT OF THE BOKO-HARAMIZED IMAM AND SHEIK??CRAZY AND STUPID PEOPLE..U GUYS SHOULD MIND UR BIZ..MTCHEW
you are a fooooo.oooool.has anybody say any wrong things to pastors on this thread?
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by smsmoney(m): 9:22am On Dec 29, 2012
The same old story
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by proudlyafrican(m): 9:23am On Dec 29, 2012
The students can go to court to pursue their fundamental right if they feel aggrieved.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by wowo2: 9:24am On Dec 29, 2012
absolutely fantastic **pls close your eyes and assume Alex Ferguson said that wink
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 9:25am On Dec 29, 2012
andyzoga: Most times, i wonder what's behind many peoples' minds
before they write or talk.
CU isnt the only university in the country and Nigerians are free to
attend any univ of their choices. I strongly believe no one was forced
to apply into the univ(CU), as such, students are free to leave even
before they're expelled if they feel they cant cope with the school's
standards.

If God's convenant to humans can be broken,what is covenant university's
rule that cant be borken ? that punishment is harsh and the NUC should
wade into the matter asap.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Dee60: 9:26am On Dec 29, 2012
Have you heard the other side of the story before making all these comments? What if the students are being economical with the truth?

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by sammyjoe39(m): 9:33am On Dec 29, 2012
@samconquer
U are a big foool for wat u jst wrote here, expelling such a huge number of students jst because dey neva attended a rubbish church service, big extortion. GLORIFIED SECONDARY SCHOOL.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by chronique(m): 9:35am On Dec 29, 2012
Shollypopz: LoL, the parents who take their kids to this school want this type of discipline though

It's a christian school, u know there are rules on going to chapel. Even here in the states, christian schools have weekly services and they are not to miss Sunday chapel. I think you're allowed to miss chapel thrice in a semester and if u exceed the time stipulated, there is punishment.

Bishop Oyedepo's decision might be a little rash but u expected this before deciding to apply and attend the university. We can't blame the man for the standards he wants his university to uphold.

My thoughts exactly! They signed up for this;let them face the music.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by movmentish(m): 9:51am On Dec 29, 2012
my friend no go church and as dem com dey search dem catch am dey smoke weed......I feel d guy aswear

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Libkid(m): 9:52am On Dec 29, 2012
Am i a learner.this one pass living in a boarding skul 4 secondary skul.make the parents go collect their children skul fees jor
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by MOBBDEEP: 9:56am On Dec 29, 2012
DJDOLA: .....school is to study life while church is 2 study heaven.....

This part of your post got me cracked-up & reeling with serious laughter.
NLders can kill with laughter.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 9:58am On Dec 29, 2012
Dee60: Have you heard the other side of the story before making all these comments? What if the students are being economical with the truth?
God bless you. smiley
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by OsunOriginal: 10:01am On Dec 29, 2012
Do they also expel students for not attending lectures? Or bible cramming and dancing in the church is more important than lecture?
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 10:04am On Dec 29, 2012
I consider anyone who graduated from any of these fundamentalist universities as uneducated. Yes, you are schooled but you are not educated.
I'll be the last father to get my child admitted into any of these universities. Nonsense.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by victorazy(m): 10:12am On Dec 29, 2012
I think the amin did the right fthing. The school is for in convenant not for everybody.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by skoolblooger: 10:16am On Dec 29, 2012
SamConquer: U GUYS ARE JOBLESS...@OP AND NAIRALAND..Y IS IT THAT IF COVENANT UNIVERSITY SNEEZE U WILL MAKE NOISE ABOUT IT.,IS IT THE ONLY UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA OR U GUYS ARE JUST LOOKING FOR TROUBLE COS IS A XTIAN UNIVERSITY..Y DNT U GUYS ATTACK CRESENT UNIVERSITY AND THEIR LIKES WHICH ARE ISLAM UNIVERSITY...OHH I GET IT WHEN U ARE JUST XCEPTIONAL GREAT,NUISANCE WIL TALK ABOUT U..IS JUST BECOS COVENANT UNI. IS THE BEST SCHOOL IN NIGERIA..CHRISTIANPHOBIA HAVE BCUM THE ORDER OF THE DAY IN NAIRALAND..U GUYS TALK EVIL ABOUT OUR SPIRITUAL LEADERS ANYHOW..WAT OF THE BOKO-HARAMIZED IMAM AND SHEIK??CRAZY AND STUPID PEOPLE..U GUYS SHOULD MIND UR BIZ..MTCHEW
Ode, I tot 1 time they said d uni doesn't belong to oyedepo,hw come he is d 1 making such baseless decision to expel students becos they didn't attend church.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by metti(m): 10:35am On Dec 29, 2012
SimonAndal:
_
SOURCE
Na by force to attend church? Na only christians dey that school?
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by mu2sa2: 10:37am On Dec 29, 2012
Covenant University is ruled by a man of god-he can do no wrong! Collect outrageous fees first and expel the ba.stards.No refund.Thats cool money.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by trisurface: 10:48am On Dec 29, 2012
1) is it true?
2) is freedom to disobey regulations necessary to prove that a university is really a university?
3) if the students are rightfully aggrieved, why are they pleading with the school instead of enforcing their "right"?
4) no comments from parents?
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Affiliated(m): 10:54am On Dec 29, 2012
From Chike_Afanna. The first to comment on the source link.

Well I don't think many get the gist of what's at the core of this matter. The point is Oyedepo was miffed not so much because of "indiscipline" but that some students had the audacity to rock his "Ceaser has spoken; legions must march" boat. Recap the incident and you'd get the picture of what's at play here. Oyedepo expected to arrive at the place to the cheer of of doting students; doesn't matter whether the students ran the gauntlet to be there. The man arrives and didn't see saluting, doting legions and that irked him to bits.

This brings back "fond" memories.Those of us who attended missionary schools in Eastern Nigeria (before government did a 419 on them and took over schools) know the drill. The school gets a letter that the Bishop in charge of the area, who at the time was third or 4th in rank to God (God/Pope/Cardinal/Bishop) was coming to town and the school and suddenly "hell" breaks loose. Your parents better cough up the money to get you as clean as it could get uniform. Students, big and school would fetch palm fronds that's used to make roadside "canopies" (in the nature of Jesus triumphant entry into Jerusalem) sometimes a mile or two to the school. Saying fetching palm fronds doesn't convey the picture if you understand palm fronds do have prickly spikes. By the time you have done fetching few you're sure to have a bunch of bleeding spots.

Then the school is scrubbed to every square inch and lawns are cut, pedicured and manicured to the point the school looked like a horticultural showpiece. Then come the day, and we'd all assemble in the cleanest uniform and stand in the sun for hours... and the bishop drives in wearing his immaculate, finest, priestly robe. We'd cheer and wave palm fronds and sing as the Bishop (my reasoning) pats himself on the back for a job well done - for managing to create a bunch of zombies who'd go to the extent we did to put up a show for the sake of putting up a show. That's if you consider that many of the kids who were jumping and singing for the bishop were really close to dropping dead from biting hunger... yet we had to go through the out of this world motions else our teachers and us the disposables are doomed.

To me, I think that's the facade Oyedepo wanted to see but didn't get and that irked him. Why didn't the students understand that Oyedepo is atop the food chain while they (the students) were at the bottom of the pile and that Oyedepo has gotten accustomed to being treated like God where ever he goes and thus in (the students) not going through the regimented motions amounted to a snub on the great Oyedepo. It's a little ludicrous that I am ending on a sarcastic note but I am trying to say these men of God, like the bishops in my school days, love adulation to the point a devil would get high marks if only that devil would give them the honor and willy "respect" they craze. Discipline is not the point of contention here.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by skoolblooger: 11:03am On Dec 29, 2012
SamConquer: HOW CUM DIS[b] INSANE HUMAN GOAT[/b] ESCAPE FROM YABA LEFT..M.MUMU WHO IS TALKING OF WHO OWN THE SCHOOL..MALU

Hehehehe aturu e dey pain u? Brainless monkey.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by JamesLucia: 11:12am On Dec 29, 2012
befor you are admitted, you are given the school's rules n regulation to study you accept to abide by it by signing. even in a catholic seminary you dont toil with the rules and regulations governing the school.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Frankiss44(m): 11:16am On Dec 29, 2012
Shollypopz: LoL, the parents who take their kids to this school want this type of discipline though

It's a christian school, u know there are rules on going to chapel. Even here in the states, christian schools have weekly services and they are not to miss Sunday chapel. I think you're allowed to miss chapel thrice in a semester and if u exceed the time stipulated, there is punishment.

Bishop Oyedepo's decision might be a little rash but u expected this before deciding to apply and attend the university. We can't blame the man for the standards he wants his university to uphold.

I feel this sorta happiness from within when I come across comments like yours... I realize that out of 100 foolish nigerians, there is a wise one... There is light at the end of the tunnel for Nigeria.. God bless you bro.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by metti(m): 11:17am On Dec 29, 2012
mu2sa2: Covenant University is ruled by a man of god-he can do no wrong! Collect outrageous fees first and expel the ba.stards.No refund.Thats cool money.
U are so stupid! Are u equating your so called man of god to the Almighty God? It is onl God that can do no wrong. Use your head!
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by andyzoga: 11:17am On Dec 29, 2012
You can bend rules when extremely needed in a community that frowns at corrupt practices, but you dont bend d rules. Once a standard is put in place, everyone should live by it. 9ja politicians must have started this way thinking they can break rules at anytime, eating their cake and yet having it. My point is students who know they cant cope with the CU standards have options of other universities.
Rolling.:

If God's convenant to humans can be broken,what is covenant university's
rule that cant be borken ? that punishment is harsh and the NUC should
wade into the matter asap.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: What's Next If Demands Are Not Met By May 15? / ASUU Strike: How Did Students React In Your School? / University Of Ibadan Produces 26 First Class Graduates At The Law School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.