Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,700 members, 7,820,447 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat (19256 Views)

Differences Between The Gmat And Gre / 2017 GMAT Test Takers / IELTS - For IELTS Test Takers And Preparation(achieving Desired Band Score) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by Olibaba: 9:05pm On Jan 25, 2016
Over the years, the number of GMAT test takers has been on the increase but it’s very sad to see lots of them fail the GMAT. Well, the good news is, a good number still scale through with good score. I know you might be thinking how you could possibly be among those few or, you might properly be thinking about what an ideal GMAT Score could be? That will be a talk for another time. I will like also to remind you that the GMAT is one of the requirements for Top, if not all, Business schools around the world. So it’s worth the investment and dedication to get a good score too.

Let’s get back to business of why test takers fail the GMAT. I’m not going to sweet-talk you into believing the GMAT is simple to pass, but if you could prepare well enough for the GMAT, it’s surely a challenge you can overcome. However, if you do not prepare properly, then the GMAT may seem like a rocket science or lifting an elephant with one hand.

Why then do test takers fail the GMAT? Well you get to know some of the key factors why test takers fail the GMAT in a jiffy. Tighten your seat belt as I spell out the reasons to you. Happy ride!

1. Shallow Understanding of The Exam:
Most test takers rush into taking the GMAT with little or no information about the exam itself. Understanding the exam and what is expected of you is a good point to start from as this will shake up your mind from the assumption that the GMAT is not different from every other exams you have written in time past. If you are planning to take the GMAT sometime soon, reading up what the exam entails is a good point to start from.

2. Lack of Proper Preparation: The lack of proper preparation will generally yield a poor result. Please don’t fool yourself thinking luck will help out. Don’t assume you understand a topic when you don’t, it may hit you very hard. Some even choose favorite topics to focus on. If you don’t know, you better take note now that EVERY topic is important on the GMAT. Sharpen your skills in all.
If your preparation is not so good, expect a poor result too. They have never been any two ways to good score, so to speak, on the GMAT than adequate preparations. You may be heading for a disaster if you do a surface preparation for the GMAT. However, if your preparation is good enough, you are on the road that leads to success. Ride on!

3. No Prep Test: If you are serious about getting a good score on the GMAT, then you should take a good number of prep tests (prep test is a simulated test for the exam) prior to the real exam day. You may be wondering, what’s the importance of this prep test? Prep test helps you the following ways: firstly, it helps you to keep track of your progress as you study.
Secondly, it puts you on the hot spot which is very similar to what you will face on the test day. Thirdly and lastly, it helps to build your mental strength since the GMAT is more of mental than physical. Never take the GMAT without taking a good number of prep tests.

4. Maths Foundation Problem: Rusty maths foundation problem should be attended to before taking the GMAT. You had better treat that “root” before it grows into a tree that might be difficult to deal with. There is a popular saying that “a stitch in time saves nine”. You had better tell yourself the truth that you are maths-rusty and seek for help where it could be found. In the course of preparing my test takers for the GMAT over the years, I have meet quite a few who had wonderful first degree grades, but due to the fact that they barely do anything as regards college maths they gradually become maths-rusty.

5. Verbal Foundation Problem: That you speak English is not, and I don’t think either, a guarantee for success on the GMAT verbal section as some special skills may be required. You may need to unlearn, learn and re-learn some of the GMAT verbal rules. If you will need to dust some of your English grammar books, please do as someone said “what is worth doing is worth doing well at all. To strengthen your verbal skills, lots of practice will help a lot.
Even if you think you are good with the verbal section of the GMAT, please do yourself a favor by taking prep test to check your accuracy level. Whichever way, the verbal section needs your attention as every other section does.

6. Procrastination: Procrastination is a monster that we all must fight and possibly kill. One major factor I have noticed over the years in preparing students for the GMAT is procrastination. I will read tomorrow, I will study it next week when you can actually study today. Someone said “Today’s work today, tomorrow’s work today”. Never leave for tomorrow, what you can possibly do today.
This issue of procrastination is mostly common for the busy test takers, but not necessarily true. The truth must be told, GMAT is like a “lover” that demands your attention always or at least for the preparation period. Don’t also forget that, the more you procrastinate the less coordinated your study pattern will be. I will talk more about study methods in the next but last reason.

7. Wrong Study Methods: Lastly on this post, the way and manner of your study methods is a pointer to your performance on the GMAT. A well-planned and thoroughly-followed study plan or method is very important for success in this race. Some test takers have access to too many materials and by so doing they themselves get confused while studying, hope I’m not speaking your mind?
Some break their study pattern. What do I mean by this? When you study, let’s say Geometry today but couldn’t finish it up and the next time you open it again is a week after, you probably must have forgotten a large junk of what you did study the last time.

Hope you did enjoy this piece? If you seem to have any question or you need further clarifications please do drop a comment below.

Written by Adewale Olisa,
Admin, NehemiahPrep Blog

for more articles, visit http://nehemiahprep..com.ng/

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by proddey(m): 8:32pm On Nov 11, 2016
How can I get preparatory materials particularly videos?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by yomibelle(f): 6:48am On Nov 13, 2016
av bn takin series of prep tests tho
but the problem is breaks in btw tests
Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by Nobody: 6:49am On Nov 13, 2016
very true

I remember when I was to write a chevron scholarship exam and I was informed that it would be in GMAT format, I quickly told my parents to help me purchase the past questions, after they did this I started voracious studying, when I finally went for the exam I discovered that most of the GMAT questions where repeated and I got the scholarship on a platter of gold

then when I tell my friends who also wrote the exam with me but failed that I passed they will tell me I am so lucky, rubbish there's no such thing as luck my preparation earned me the award.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by darkmarky(m): 6:50am On Nov 13, 2016
please GMAT means what? are we suppose to magically know every abbreviations?

which mod move this?come and tell us what GMAT means lalasticlala Dominique mynd44

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by haibe(m): 6:50am On Nov 13, 2016
The reasons he listed are generic. You wont perform well in any test if you don't have a good foundation, or u don't prepare well.. etc

3 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by bekong(m): 6:52am On Nov 13, 2016
Am here again. FP again after 10 years.

Back to the topic, what's GMAT?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by OreoPaschal(m): 6:56am On Nov 13, 2016
darkmarky:
please GMAT means what? are we suppose to magically know every abbreviations?

which mod move this?come and tell us what GMAT means lalasticlala Dominique mynd44
Graduate Management Admission Test.

5 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by darkmarky(m): 6:58am On Nov 13, 2016
OreoPaschal:

good continue.....

what does the cert do?

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by dayjeee(m): 6:58am On Nov 13, 2016
I no kukuma understand weytin una dey gain by commenting on post that makes front page...make me too kukuma pack my bag and baggages here

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by Sezua(m): 6:58am On Nov 13, 2016
The major reason is the foundation. When i see GMATS i see jst advanced quantitative reasoning. Besides some pple ain't cut out for that shit. As in, it's not their thing. I have not read a GMATS book in my life, i have neva flunked a GMATS tests either. However i embrace most logic seeking questions or games i see anywhere including the internet and try tp solve it.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by yuiop(m): 6:59am On Nov 13, 2016
proddey:
How can I get preparatory materials particularly videos?
Asesque.com
Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by mlanreh: 7:01am On Nov 13, 2016
GMAT
Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by Doyin400l(m): 7:02am On Nov 13, 2016
Analyse your data using statistical theory and software like SPSS, R
check my signature

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by ednut1(m): 7:10am On Nov 13, 2016
gmat show me pepper sha. the first 10 gmat exams i took, i bang am. as far as i am concerned d test is ojoro. easy for science students dan commercial and arts

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by Sike(m): 7:10am On Nov 13, 2016
What is GMAT? And what are the benefits of GMAT?

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by Lord3point5: 7:12am On Nov 13, 2016
Sezua:
The major reason is the foundation. When i see GMATS i see jst advanced quantitative reasoning. Besides some pple ain't cut out for that shit. As in, it's not their thing. I have not read a GMATS book in my life, i have neva flunked a GMATS tests either. However i embrace most logic seeking questions or games i see anywhere including the internet and try tp solve it.
Totally agree with you. Reason I made sure my Siblings took VerbaL and Quantitave reasoning serious while they were in elementary school. And I haven't stopped tasking their reasoning with questions till now.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by Odunharry(m): 7:19am On Nov 13, 2016
coming to add
Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by Odunharry(m): 7:20am On Nov 13, 2016
Japhet04:
very true

I remember when I was to write a chevron scholarship exam and I was informed that it would be in GMAT format, I quickly told my parents to help me purchase the past questions, after they did this I started voracious studying, when I finally went for the exam I discovered that most of the GMAT questions where repeated and I got the scholarship on a platter of gold

then when I tell my friends who also wrote the exam with me but failed that I passed they will tell me I am so lucky, rubbish there's no such thing as luck my preparation earned me the award.

This is true.. Prepare well and you will scale thru.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by Phi001(m): 7:23am On Nov 13, 2016
Quantitative reasoning abi?

I've got that....

Me wey dey score 20/20 back to back...

Meanwhile, what concerns abi with ability because I'm not understanding this auto correct...
Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by kennyjam: 7:24am On Nov 13, 2016
Japhet04:
very true

pls was it the undergraduate or post graduate scholarship you won?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by Nobody: 7:27am On Nov 13, 2016
kennyjam:

pls was it the undergraduate or post graduate scholarship you won?
undergraduate
Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by Mopolchi: 7:42am On Nov 13, 2016
the thing hard
Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by Badgers14: 7:46am On Nov 13, 2016
darkmarky:

good continue.....

what does the cert do?

It makes people have bowl legs grin grin
Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by casttlebarbz(m): 7:53am On Nov 13, 2016
I can't just stop cursing who ever invented GMAT...I don't think d person will rest in peace

2 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by omonnakoda: 7:56am On Nov 13, 2016
Japhet04:
very true

There is such a thing as luck some people are very intelligent and many others are,well let us say, the opposite of that.

Just like height,good looks and so on.Intelligence is distributed randomly within the population People do not decide or choose to be intelligent it is a random occurrence. Whilst it is true that intelligent people will do well if they prepare some people may not do quite as well no matter how long or how hard they prepare.
Even the drive and dedication to prepare are attributes that come more naturally to some people. If you have the intelligence and drive that others lack then to that extent you are "lucky" but not better than them.Just make the best of your natural attributes. What is true is that most people have one attribute or the other to help the succeed in life.Not everyone's path involves "passing" GMAT. We must not forget that GMAT is not a pass or fail exam but one that ranks people just like height. By definition therefore, if everyone prepares hard there would still be a distribution curve for the population with some at the top and others at the bottom no matter how hard they prepare

7 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by darkmarky(m): 7:59am On Nov 13, 2016
Badgers14:

It makes people have bowl legs grin grin

mad man
Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by Meetmeat(m): 8:00am On Nov 13, 2016
OreoPaschal:

pls it is called General method aptitude test

2 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by Nobody: 8:07am On Nov 13, 2016
That crap called GMAT came in because of joblessness in this yeye geographical country called NIgeria undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by Nobody: 8:08am On Nov 13, 2016
omonnakoda:
There is such a thing as luck some people are very intelligent and many others are,well let us say, the opposite of that.

Just like height,good looks and so on.Intelligence is distributed randomly within the population People do not decide or choose to be intelligent it is a random occurrence. Whilst it is true that intelligent people will do well if they prepare some people may not do quite as well no matter how long or how hard they prepare.
Even the drive and dedication to prepare are attributes that come more naturally to some people. If you have the intelligence and drive that others lack then to that extent you are "lucky" but not better than them.Just make the best of your natural attributes. What is true is that most people have one attribute or the other to help the succeed in life.Not everyone's path involves "passing" GMAT. We must not forget that GMAT is not a pass or fail exam but one that ranks people just like height. By definition therefore, if everyone prepares hard there would still be a distribution curve for the population with some at the top and others at the bottom no matter how hard they prepare
really?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Test Takers Fail The Gmat by omonnakoda: 8:10am On Nov 13, 2016
Japhet04:
really?
Maybe when you get older you will understand being intelligent is luck no one chooses to be stupid and some people are born stupid,bad luck!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

JAMB Subject Combinations For All Courses – 2018 / Mopileola Tomi Adewumi Graduates From Oklahoma State University In America / Oloyede And The JAMB Revolution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.