Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,143 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Having A Lot Of Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Having A Lot Of Children (1181 Views)

Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? / Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting / What Number Of Children Is Advisable For Average Nigerian Couples (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Having A Lot Of Children by mindboggler: 10:59am On Dec 29, 2012
I remember back in those days when having a lot of children was considered a very honourable thing. In Igbo land, if a woman had up to 10 or more children a very big goat was killed for her and her husband was considered a real man. Families had large acres of farming land and livestock was very ample so taking care of a large family was not a problem at all.

But with the advent urbanization and development times have changed, farming and keeping livestock is no longer part of life and the available resources are depleting on a daily basis.

I'll give a couple of examples, a family where the parents have menial jobs. They live in a one bedroom apartment and have 6 children. These set of people will have these children and send them off to go work for someone and a good number of these kids end up being maltreated or killed or walk the streets as touts or prostitutes. On the other hand, the kids that weren't sent off will stay home and do heavy chores that is meant for a much bigger person or start hawking food along the road. So my question is this why do people keep having children when its obvious that they don't have the basic means to take care of them and bring them up properly.
Re: Having A Lot Of Children by k2039: 11:36am On Dec 29, 2012
[color=soyouquotedme]But those of us living in luxury we have the liberty to give birth to as many we can cater for because I'm aiming for at least 12 kids [/color]
Re: Having A Lot Of Children by greatgod2012(f): 11:43am On Dec 29, 2012
k2039: [color=soyouquotedme]But those of us living in luxury have the liberty to give birth to as many we can cater for because I'm aiming for at least 12 kids [/color]

grin grin
Re: Having A Lot Of Children by mindboggler: 12:57pm On Dec 29, 2012
k2039: [color=soyouquotedme]But those of us living in luxury have the liberty to give birth to as many we can cater for because I'm aiming for at least 12 kids [/color]

Why of course you can have up to 100 children if you like as long as you can take care of them.Good luck to your wife though grin If you understood my post well, my question is why do some people have more children than they can afford to take care of
Re: Having A Lot Of Children by Callotti: 1:00pm On Dec 29, 2012
Dat na dem wahala!
Not my gaddem bizz! kiss
Re: Having A Lot Of Children by k2039: 1:06pm On Dec 29, 2012
mind-boggler:

Why of course you can have up to 100 children if you like as long as you can take care of them.Good luck to your wife though grin If you understood my post well, my question is[b] why do some people have more children than they can afford to take care of[/b]
[color=soyouquotedme]@ the bolded. Ignorance and stupidity. [/color]
Re: Having A Lot Of Children by vizion: 10:35am On Dec 30, 2012
mind-boggler:

Why of course you can have up to 100 children if you like as long as you can take care of them.Good luck to your wife though grin If you understood my post well, my question is why do some people have more children than they can afford to take care of

In Nigeria, it is because they can shameless go to relative to pass the buck of training/upkeep too, some do try to use emotional blackmail.

otherwise, some don't care the child can become an agbero for all they care.
Re: Having A Lot Of Children by EfemenaXY: 1:46pm On Dec 30, 2012
mind-boggler:

So my question is this why do people keep having children when its obvious that they don't have the basic means to take care of them and bring them up properly.

~ Poor Education

~ Lack of Family Planning awareness / access to contraceptives

~ Ongoing search for that elusive "heir" to the throne, despite having 5, 6, 7, 8...females / daughters
Re: Having A Lot Of Children by Ishilove: 1:32am On Dec 31, 2012
Efemena_xy:

~ Poor Education

~ Lack of Family Planning awareness / access to contraceptives

~ Ongoing search for that elusive "heir" to the throne, despite having 5, 6, 7, 8...females / daughters
I have a relative who had fifteen daughters from four women before finally having a son.
Re: Having A Lot Of Children by EfemenaXY: 1:38am On Dec 31, 2012
I bet they don't all live with him though, do they? undecided
Re: Having A Lot Of Children by Ishilove: 2:13am On Dec 31, 2012
Efemena_xy: I bet they don't all live with him though, do they? undecided
They do. Some can't even attend school anymore because he can't afford it. undecided
Re: Having A Lot Of Children by EfemenaXY: 2:50am On Dec 31, 2012
Na wa o!

In this kind of polygamous setting, the onus is on each wife / mother to provide for, train & support her kids.

Any "help" (if at all) received from the man should be regarded as a "bonus"... sad embarassed
Re: Having A Lot Of Children by Nobody: 3:38am On Dec 31, 2012
Poor ppl keeps having lots of children, rich ppl keeps having small #s of children.

Something is wrong here.

2 children are more than enough.
Re: Having A Lot Of Children by Nobody: 3:39am On Dec 31, 2012
In Igbo land, if a woman had up to 10 or more children a very big goat was killed for her and her husband was considered a real man.

*faints*

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Having A Lot Of Children by amia: 10:37pm On Dec 31, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

*faints*

shocked shocked shocked

LOL, that was waaaay back then. Not nowadays

(1) (Reply)

Heart-breaking Photo Of Young Twins Who Lost Their Mum In The FCE Bomb Blast / He Sent Guys To Rob His Parents / An Aborted Child Cries Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.