Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,154 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu (9985 Views)

South-African Based Nigerian Arrested With 3.9kg Of Drug In Lagos (Photos) / NDLEA Arrests South African-based Nigerian With Drugs (Pictured) / Assassins Paid N300,000 To Murder London-Based Nigerian Arrested In Lagos (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by muktarl: 10:48pm On Dec 29, 2012
He was among a select group of Nigerian professionals from the University town of Nsukka in Enugu State based in far-away United States of America, clamoring for a better medical care for the seemingly forgotten majority in our country Nigeria. They swore an oath of allegiance and commitment in God’s Own country to alleviate the suffering of their people back home.

Their credo and unalloyed commitment was to raise money and come back home to take care of their massively impoverished populace that were unable to get proper medical care in their oil -rich fatherland.

They therefore, formed what they called ‘’Nsukka Professionals in US’’ and embarked upon fund raising for the construction of an ultra-modern medical diagnostic centre in the University town. For years, they have been tasking themselves and raising funds for the project. Then in December this year, the professionals decided to come back home and actualize their pet project. They all trouped back home for a formal launch slated for today.

But tragedy struck in the early hours of Wednesday preceding the D-day. One of their prominent members and an arrow head of the project from inception, a reputable Financial Economist, Ogbo Bennard Edoga, 56, was slain by unknown gun men in his village, Aku, Igbo-Etiti Local Government Area, LGA, just 30 kilometers from Nsukka township.

The victim had gone to the village to see both his aged mother and twin sister whose husband was opening his new house. After that, he, in company of his elder brother and two of his nephews aged 12 and 10 respectively, decided to visit some of his kinsmen. On approaching the entrance to the man’s residence, he parked his car and alighted with his briefcase after pleading with the other occupants of the car to give him few minutes to felicitate with the owner of the house.
US-returnee-Enugu

The deceased, Ogbo Bennard Edoga

Eyewitness said as he was about entering through a small gate, a car suddenly pulled up in front of his car. Two boys emerged from the car leaving the third person inside. The two boys approached the occupants of his car and asked where the driver was. Before the occupants could answer them, they sighted the victim entering through the small gate and they quickly pulled out their guns and fired some shots.

They reportedly rushed towards him and ordered him to kneel down. As he was obeying their orders, they snatched the briefcase and ransacked his pockets. While this was going on, the victim was passionately pleading with them to spare his life stating that they should take whatever they wanted.

Unfortunately, as they were leaving the scene with the briefcase, one of them who was clutching an AK47 assault rifle retraced his steps and released several shots into his hip angle. The bullet penetrated through the waist and pierced his innards. Blood started flowing freely.

While the gun men were coming out from the compound, they accosted a retired SSS official from the town who was driving in his car and on overhearing the commotion, stopped to ascertain what was happening. They confronted him and one of them reportedly ordered that he should be killed but his colleague said they should leave him alone. They therefore, pushed him out of his car and fled in it abandoning their operational car.

It was gathered that the bewildered villagers who thronged the scene quickly rushed Ogbo to nearby Attah Memorial Hospital, where unfortunately, he was declared Dead On Arrival, DOA. The incident threw both the community and the entire University town of Nsukka into utter confusion and shock.

Crime Guard learnt that youths from both the community and Odenigbo area in Nsukka main town where the deceased grew up started grouping to carry out a violent demonstration against the brutal killing of one of their foremost sons whom they described as a “messiah and philanthropist” that was working hard to alleviate their sufferings. It was the timely intervention of a one- time Chairman of Nsukka Local Government Area and former member of the House of Representatives, Alex Ezeh and other elders that stopped what could have been a bloody protest by the aggrieved youths.

Meanwhile, it was reliably gathered that few minutes after the incident, the Police Area Commander in Nsukka, Ros-Amson Halladu and his military counterpart, Lt. Shuabu, in-charge of Nsukka Urban patrol quickly swung into action and blocked all entrance and exits to both the community and other neighboring towns.

Police sources said they quickly mobilized their men and commenced frantic search and patrol of the areas. Their efforts paid off as they were able to recover the vehicle used by the fleeing gun men at 9th mile near Enugu . Following this development, they mounted heavy surveillance and house-to-house search in and around the area and beyond.

When Crime Guard visited the family house of the victim, the two teenagers who witnessed the ugly incident were said to still be in shock. One of them, a 12-year-old, was overheard lamenting pathetically that he and his sibling have finally lost the opportunity of getting educated because the victim promised to educate them to all levels after the recent death o
f their father.

Few minutes later, a group of teenagers numbering about 10 came into the compound crying uncontrollably. They told Crime Guard that the victim gave them scholarship and had returned to renew his financial commitment before he was brutally murdered.

Following this development, it was also gathered that other returnees from overseas and even those from different parts of the country who came for both the yuletide and the launching of the project had to flee for their lives. Some of them that were already landed in Lagos from abroad were reportedly said to have hastily flown back to their bases for fear of being killed.

As at the time of going to press, it was not possible to ascertain the motive for the gruesome murder but police sources hinted that all hands were on deck and they were not leaving any stone unturned in their desperate quest to unravel the mystery surrounding the death of the US returnee. According to one of the sources, “we will also spread our dragnets abroad with a view to finding out the motive and if it has to do with the project.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/12/xmas-shocker-how-us-based-nigerian-economist-was-killed-in-enugu/

1 Like

Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by muktarl: 10:50pm On Dec 29, 2012
Enugu is actually working, where is the governor sef has he returned to his poor state? cheesy
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by otokx(m): 10:54pm On Dec 29, 2012
what a pity
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by Nobody: 1:04am On Dec 30, 2012
Chei! If to say the guy knew, he for just stay put jejely for US.

After, some people will tell me to come back to naija to re-invest in that economy. Thunder faya anybody that opens their dirty mouth to tell me any thing about returning. angry

7 Likes

Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by Nobody: 5:32am On Dec 30, 2012
Na wa o!
Naija has now turned to a Lions den where human life is meaningless. If it's not Boko Haram is the North, it's Kidnappers in the South.
Killers everywhere.
May God help us all.
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by 80million1: 10:46am On Dec 30, 2012
*speechless*

so much bad news around, bt i gat sum gud news.

AGBALUMO IS FINALY OUT!

7 Likes

Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by Osama10(m): 10:49am On Dec 30, 2012
Too many wrongs with a nation that its so blessed naturally.

Corruption, Greed, Wickedness just to mention a few.
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by dreu2fine(m): 10:52am On Dec 30, 2012
Naija we neva ready,b4 naija go develop na 500 yrs fr now.we no de shame ooo.c ghana,kenya even boswana na waooo for us
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 30, 2012
Why will they kill someone who is helping poor citizens for God's sake? Nigerians are so hard to please!!!!!!. Poor guy doing what our govt cannot do. I heard abt a doctor who cam back from US with medication that he gave to old folks free of charge. Within one week,what robbers did to him and his family,he wont forget in a minute. They had to fly back to US. Why cant robbers look for politicians that loot our money in billions and kill all of them instead of killing those that r contributing their little quota?

RIP to the dead. I weep for Naija

4 Likes

Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by Nobody: 11:04am On Dec 30, 2012
ITS THE TIME OF JUDGEMENT WE ARE IN. FOLK GETTING RECOMPENSED
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 30, 2012
pDude: Chei! If to say the guy knew, he for just stay put jejely for US.

After, some people will tell me to come back to naija to re-invest in that economy. Thunder faya anybody that opens their dirty mouth to tell me any thing about returning. angry

I'm pretty sure he was aware of the dangers of returning to Nigeria. A lot of people who return help their communities are. They're still selfless and are willing to risk it all for the greater good of that country, even those who are ungrateful and choose to harm them.

RIP to him.

1 Like

Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 30, 2012
I get the feeling there's a lot more to this story than what we're aware of. Why on earth would anyone just want him dead?

*sigh* RIP sir.
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 30, 2012

tek it easy man, if u die won't ur corpse be ferried back to nija? We all live by grace it doesn't mata wia u reside n d security condition o

2 Likes

Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by RealMccoy2(m): 11:07am On Dec 30, 2012

You said my mind. Those that wish you bad will always encourage you to live your safe and prosperous haven for a lawless country without providing adequate reasons backed by proof of progress felt by the general populace. Nigeria for now is not a safe country, greed and wickedness has surpassed good. I only have rest of mind when my flight is about to leave Nigeria. A father, son and a brother that came back to contribute his own quater was just murdered. Same thing happened to a US based physician in benin murdered in daylight.
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by 299: 11:10am On Dec 30, 2012

RIP to the dead....But you guys should stop talking as if this kind of stuff doesn't happen in your US. I wonder what you would've said if those little kids that were recently murdered in US were nigerians living in nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by Nobody: 11:10am On Dec 30, 2012
Real-Mccoy:

You said my mind. Those that wish you bad will always encourage you to live your safe and prosperous haven for a lawless country without providing adequate reasons backed by proof of progress felt by the general populace. Nigeria for now is not a safe country, greed and wickedness has surpassed good. I only have rest of mind when my flight is about to leave Nigeria. A father, son and a brother that came back to contribute his own quater was just murdered. Same thing happened to a US based physician in benin murdered in daylight.
BRUV, IF IT IS YOUR TIME TO GO IT IS YOUR TIME. DONT MATTER IF YOU ARE IN IRAQ OR SWITZERLAND
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by RealMccoy2(m): 11:12am On Dec 30, 2012
Kamsy10: Why will they kill someone who is helping poor citizens for God's sake? Nigerians are so hard to please!!!!!!. Poor guy doing what our govt cannot do. I heard abt a doctor who cam back from US with medication that he gave to old folks free of charge. Within one week,what robbers did to him and his family,he wont forget in a minute. They had to fly back to US. Why cant robbers look for the politicians that have kept d country in dis mess and kill all of them instead of killing those that r contributing their little quota?

There are uncountable stories. Nigerians in diapora are willing to come home to help but the danger they will face is not worth the the risk.

Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by RealMccoy2(m): 11:17am On Dec 30, 2012
obadiah777: BRUV, IF IT IS YOUR TIME TO GO IT IS YOUR TIME. DONT MATTER IF YOU ARE IN IRAQ OR SWITZERLAND
Thats a superstition that revolves around our community. There is something called avoidable consequence. Dont you think if Nigeria government meant well for her citizens, majority of accidents that are taking place on Benin-Ore road would not have happened? "Your time" is a very funny phrase

1 Like

Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by Emperor5c(m): 11:19am On Dec 30, 2012
O! Nsukka angry
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by OreMeta: 11:20am On Dec 30, 2012
Whilst I am not trivialising the death of this blessed man, EVERYWHERE you travel to in the world you have Good and Bad. As someone who was born and breed in the UK I have personally experienced the Good and Bad points of Europe and America. As a legacy to this man's memory more people should try and invest in Nigeria rather than continually put it down. And finally, as a traveller you should always try to blend into your surroundings rather than wear designer clothes in a poor community - you will stick out like a sore thumb.

1 Like

Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by RealMccoy2(m): 11:21am On Dec 30, 2012
299: RIP to the dead....But you guys should stop talking as if this kind of stuff doesn't happen in your US. I wonder what you would've said if those little kids that were recently murdered in US were nigerians living in nigeria.
Can you back your statement with statistics? Can you provide data on the amount of accident victims in Nigeria? We should leave the armed robbery issue for another day
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:22am On Dec 30, 2012
Kamsy10: Why will they kill someone who is helping poor citizens for God's sake? Nigerians are so hard to please!!!!!!. Poor guy doing what our govt cannot do. I heard abt a doctor who cam back from US with medication that he gave to old folks free of charge. Within one week,what robbers did to him and his family,he wont forget in a minute. They had to fly back to US. Why cant robbers look for the politicians that have kept d country in dis mess and kill all of them instead of killing those that r contributing their little quota?

RIP! People are mindlessly wicked. May God manifest himself to fill the void u have left in all our hearts on earth. cry
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by RealMccoy2(m): 11:24am On Dec 30, 2012
Ore_Meta: Whilst I am not trivialising the death of this blessed man, EVERYWHERE you travel to in the world you have Good and Bad. As someone who was born and breed in the UK I have personally experienced the Good and Bad points of Europe and America. As a legacy to this man's memory more people should try and invest in Nigeria rather than continually put it down. And finally, as a traveller you should always try to blend into your surroundings rather than wear designer clothes in a poor community - you will stick out like a sore thumb.
Your statement make no sense. .....No pun intended. What happened to providing condusive environment for would be investors? Have you don research on countries like Rwanda and Angola?
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by hardbody: 11:26am On Dec 30, 2012
Is this not robbery and don't people get robbed and killed everywhere else? Once it is Nigeria, all eyes and mouth will open to castigate. God will help all of you sha whether in 9ja or diaspora.

Meanwhile I dey villa dey high palmy
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by Nobody: 11:29am On Dec 30, 2012
Do not be a GEJ, please. Because it's happening in other places does not make it any less of a problem nor any less of acrime. Whether it's in Enugu or Toronto, murder is wrong and should be condemned.
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by airmark(m): 11:30am On Dec 30, 2012
Ore_Meta: And finally, as a traveller you should always try to blend into your surroundings rather than wear designer clothes in a poor community - you will stick out like a sore thumb.

Thats a good advice, but why not stay where you are safer?
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by RealMccoy2(m): 11:31am On Dec 30, 2012
Suspected Islamist militants have killed at least seven people in attacks on two northern Nigerian towns, military spokesmen said.Five people were killed in a raid on a village outside Maiduguri, a stronghold of Islamist militants Boko Haram.In a second attack, gunmen killed two people, including a policeman, and burnt down government buildings in Maiha, on the border with Cameroon.No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks.The Nigerian military said it had arrested three people and seized weapons following the attack outside Maiduguri.A school teacher in the village told the Associated Press that gunmen had gathered people into a group before massacring them. The teacher said 15 people had died in the attack; many had had their throats slit.Violence linked to the Boko Haram insurgency - a group seeking to impose Islamic law on the country - has claimed hundreds of live in 2012.Six people died in an attack on a church on Christmas Day, while seven people were killed on Wednesday in Maiduguri, the city where Boko Haram launched its campaign in 2009.Nigeria is divided between a mainly Muslim north and a Christian south.
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by taharqa: 11:32am On Dec 30, 2012

And who wants you back? Stay there and die there if u wish; and why you are it, try losing yr NL account so you wudnt hv to come across anything Nigeria again...... The US where u are, hv a gun-basd violence rate infinity higher than that of Nigeria (and by far, more indiscriminate too); and by God's grace, it wud decrease significantly pretty soon. Enjoy d US in d mean time where any person can at anytime take a gun and kill a bunch of people; I pray u are not part of d RISING statistics of dis mass killings, d odds are not good though. Safe

2 Likes

Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by RealMccoy2(m): 11:32am On Dec 30, 2012
airmark:

Thats a good advice, but why not stay where you are safer?
That advise is so 1981. Information is what give people out to heinous crimes.
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by taharqa: 11:36am On Dec 30, 2012
RIP to d Good doctor...and God's grace on d family and friends he left behind
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by JideTheBlogger(m): 11:36am On Dec 30, 2012
RIP chief

Someone closed to him might be the brain behind the shit.
Re: Us-based Nigerian Economist Killed In Enugu by TeenageMoney(m): 11:37am On Dec 30, 2012
This Happened In My Village.. Aku in IgboEtiti LGA Of Enugu State.....

I wanted to go to the same venue where he was shot that day bt something delayed me.. Who knows what might have happened to me...

RIP Mr. Edoga

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Declare State Of Emergency In Abuja Now ~ FCT PCC To FG / Nigerian Police Return ₦834,000 Extorted From Public, Sanction 17 Officers / Pirates abduct six Turkish crew off Nigeria coast – Navy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.