Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral (7326 Views)

Jonathan, Dickson, Archbishop Trade Words at Azazi's Burial / Chime Shakes-Off Death Rumour, Condoles With Yakowa, Azazi’s Families / Azazi, Yakowa Die In Helicopter Crash? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by CrazyMan(m): 6:27am On Dec 30, 2012
The remains of late Gen. Andrew Azazi (retd) in Yenagoa,  who died alongside a former Governor of Kaduna State, Mr. Patrick Yakowa and four others in a  naval helicopter crash , were buried on Saturday in Bayelsa State.

Azazi was buried amidst tears and glowing tributes from family members and sympathisers including President Goodluck Jonathan.

He was buried at the newly created National Heroes Park, close to the Ijaw House, along the Sani Abacha Expressway, Yenagoa.

Northern and South-West governors were absent at the funeral while governors of Delta State, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan and his counterpart in Rivers State, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, were the only ones in attendance.

Our correspondent observed that the Perentogbere community of the late Azazi boycotted the funeral.

The casket bearing Azazi’s remains was brought into the venue of the funeral at Peace Park, Yenagoa in a Nigerian Army ambulance marked NA459 EO1 at about 10am.

Jonathan arrived at the venue of the service in company with his wife, Patience, after the casket was laid in state but left after the service that lasted over five hours.

The President, in his remarks, said, “If Nigerians would change their attitude, you will realise that most of these issues being attributed to corruption are not caused by corruption. Recently, I met with officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps who told me that they had discovered that majority of the road accidents are recorded on good roads. So you can see it is not a matter of corruption, it is an issue of the people’s attitude.”

Jonathan, who was absent at the interment, described Azazi as a good Nigerian that served the country selflessly.

He said, “He was one good Nigerian. When I was to appoint my first set of service chiefs, I consulted Azazi who was not the NSA then. He did the analysis, believed in merit and competence. I had no regrets when I appointed them.

“If 50 per cent of Nigerians with privileged to have been certain offices would behave like General Azazi, this country will change.”

Also, the President of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Mr. Ayo Oritsejafor, said the late Azazi would be remembered for his integrity.

He said, “A great man has gone but one thing stood out about him and that was integrity. Greatness is never about what you have, it is about what you do with what you have.”

The Minister of Petroleum, Mrs. Allison Madueke, also said Azazi was a thorough strategic analyst.

Madueke who spoke on behalf of the Federal Execurite Council said, “A big tree has fallen in Ijaw land.”

In his remarks, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Azubuike Ihejirika, said the late Azazi spearheaded the transformation of the Nigerian Army.

He said, as a colonel several years back, he and others adopted the deceased as a role model both in the service and in private life.

Those present at the funeral included the Chief of Defence Staff, Admiral Ola Ibrahim; Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Dele Ezeoba; Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshall Alex Badeh and the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika.

Meanwhile, the Governor of Rivers State, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, on Saturday named the Nkpogu Road which is undergoing dualisation in Port Harcourt, the state capital, after Azazi.

He said the state would sponsor an award, chair or prize dedicated to Azazi’s honour in a reputable institution in the country.

“On Monday I will erect a signboard that will change Nkpogu Road to Gen. Andrew Owoye Azazi Road,” he said.

Dickson directed his deputy, Rear Admiral John Jonah, to liaise with the leadership of the military to work out modalities of immortalising Azazi.

Dickson also said a befitting edifice and memorial lecture would be named after the late general.

He said he had already directed the Ijaw History Project to document the life and times of General Azazi alongside Isaac Jasper Adaka Boro, Harold Dappa Biriye and other Ijaw heroes, both living and dead.

http://www.punchng.com/news/tears-tributes-at-azazis-funeral/
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by teniyi(m): 6:54am On Dec 30, 2012
Bye Azazi. The PDP National Pastor Oritzejafor was also present, nawa oo.
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by k2039: 7:07am On Dec 30, 2012
“If 50 per cent of Nigerians with privileged to have been certain offices would behave like General Azazi, this country will change.”

[color=soyouquotedme]Did Gej actually say that?.

I have made up my mind not to insult the president again, that's his saving grace.
All I read from his speech was HYPOCRICY.
[/color]

1 Like

Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 30, 2012
50% of Nigerians WILL NOT behave like Azazi because they will not want to end up like Azazi.

1 Like

Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Willy7(m): 7:40am On Dec 30, 2012
RIP General. Inasmuch as you were part of d decay ravaging d country, I dont know why i keep having this feeling that u were a good man.I cant seem to have same thoughts towards most of our past and present political office holders wheather the in military and outside.Adieu

1 Like

Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Nobody: 10:18am On Dec 30, 2012
Boko Haram says bye bye. Pdp says bye bye.
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by FKO1(m): 10:29am On Dec 30, 2012
one the best speeches ever made by Gej.
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by JideTheBlogger(m): 10:30am On Dec 30, 2012
CrazyMan:

.....The President, in his remarks, said, “If Nigerians would change their attitude, you will realise that most of these issues being attributed to corruption are not caused by corruption. Recently, I met with officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps who told me that they had discovered that majority of the road accidents are recorded on good roads. So you can see it is not a matter of corruption, it is an issue of the people’s attitude.”
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Nobody: 10:30am On Dec 30, 2012
IBB why?

grin

1 Like

Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by apoti(m): 10:30am On Dec 30, 2012
If 50 per cent of Nigerians with privileged to have been certain offices would behave like General Azazi, this country will change.”

GEJ is a pathetic hypocrite. so why did he sack him? He doesn't want Nigeria to change abi undecided

1 Like

Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Truckpusher(m): 10:32am On Dec 30, 2012
Azazi sealed his testimony against the PDP with his own blood.

1 Like

Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Skipfr(m): 10:38am On Dec 30, 2012
Hypocrites.
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Abali1(m): 10:48am On Dec 30, 2012
Every Nigerian is a 'Rare Gem' once you have died. RIP General, you were one of those that called a spade by it's true name but for some reason GEJ thought otherwise.
RIP

2 Likes

Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Redhot111(m): 12:04pm On Dec 30, 2012
Tusky44: IBB why?

grin
o mean say na IBB put bomb 4 inside d chopper? Cos i hear say d tin 1st bomb b4 e crashland. Hmmm na letter bomb i be knw dat man put oo, but u 4 inbox me say he don dey use chopper bomb 2. U 4 no cum tlk am 4 dis forum make den no go kill u oooo. Dem no get 4givness oo. A word is enuf 4 d wise. grin

grin
o mean say na IBB put bomb 4 inside d chopper? Cos i hear say d tin 1st bomb b4 e crashland. Hmmm na letter bomb i be knw dat man put oo, but u 4 inbox me say he don dey use chopper bomb 2. U 4 no cum tlk am 4 dis forum make den no go kill u oooo. Dem no get 4givness oo. A word is enuf 4 d wise.
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by CrazyMan(m): 12:10pm On Dec 30, 2012

grin
What did Ibb do again this time...you guys should allow the old man rest na.. undecided
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by CrazyMan(m): 12:11pm On Dec 30, 2012
musKeeto: Boko Haram says bye bye. Pdp says bye bye.
And what does the mosquito say... undecided
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by toluleke(m): 12:11pm On Dec 30, 2012
Who is Mr Ayo oritsejafor?politician or man of God¿¿¿¿ !s he d new PDP CHAIRMAN

1 Like

Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Symphony007: 12:29pm On Dec 30, 2012
Shame on all of you politicizing the death of such a grand gentleman...rest in peace general and God's speed.
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Bolt2011(m): 12:35pm On Dec 30, 2012
RIP Azazi. May God grant the family the fortitide to bear the loss. God help Naija. cry cry

I 'comment my reserve' on GEJ
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Nobody: 12:45pm On Dec 30, 2012
CrazyMan:
And what does the mosquito say... undecided
that a crazy man made front page....
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by evecares(f): 12:54pm On Dec 30, 2012
Hummm,GEJ on d move weldone bros
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Ikwerefistson: 1:03pm On Dec 30, 2012
Adieus general
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Nobody: 1:18pm On Dec 30, 2012
Truckpusher: Azazi sealed his testimony against the PDP with his own blood.

Word
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Noiseless2: 1:30pm On Dec 30, 2012
Another victim of boko haram, RIP
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by talktrue1(m): 1:45pm On Dec 30, 2012
RIP Azazi

I am worried on the statement by the FRSC
Recently, I met with officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps who told me that they had discovered that majority of the road accidents are recorded on good roads.
Is it true?
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by CrazyMan(m): 2:17pm On Dec 30, 2012
musKeeto:
that a crazy man made front page....
Smh... undecided
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by osifred(m): 2:26pm On Dec 30, 2012
Azazi was a good man like you claimed why did you sack him then? Oh wait a minute you don't want the country to progress
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Agimor(m): 2:42pm On Dec 30, 2012
RIP
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 30, 2012
Truckpusher: Azazi sealed his testimony against the PDP with his own blood.
meaning what? i dont understand.any which way i beg to disagree, no one has the right to take anothers life for some clumsy reasons!
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by Nobody: 7:30pm On Dec 30, 2012
RIP Azazi
Re: Tears, Tributes At Azazi’s Funeral by CrazyMan(m): 10:23pm On Dec 30, 2012
osifred: Azazi was a good man like you claimed why did you sack him then? Oh wait a minute you don't want the country to progress
My man don't mind papa jona...just see the glaring hypocrisy in his speech.

(1) (Reply)

I'm suing Buhari and Bakare for murder!! / Can Lake Chad Be Recharged - Fact Check / AFREXIM Shops For $3 Billion To Fulfill Agreement With NNPC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.