Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,185 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:28 AM

The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! (14533 Views)

Nigerian Actors To Pay $1000, Producers Pay $5000 To Work In Ghana / One Of The Best Igbo Movies Rattle Snake (ahanna And Odinnaka ) / No More Igbo Movies: Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by EzePromoe: 8:37pm On Dec 30, 2012
With stake holders in the movie industry
stating plans to restart Igbo language
movies, and with expectations that Igbo
movies would have
their place on Africa Magic like its Yoruba
and Hausa counterparts, surely some movie
stars are bound to benefit more than others.
Established stars are going to have more
success, dwindling stars would re-launch
their careers while upcoming artistes would
also get a
chance to become big stars. Here, we
preview stars who are likely to benefit from
this

DEDE ONE DEY

A very popular figure in Aba, this stand up
comedian has been churning out funny lines
in Igbo language. But with English, he has
been somewhat unable to show his worth.
He is fluent in English, no doubt, but he
surely makes ribs crack when he speaks
Igbo, be it Abia, Imo, Anambra, Ebonyi or
Enugu dialect!

STEPHEN ALAJEMBA

Either because he cannot speak English
fluently or because he prefers to speak Igbo,
one thing remains that Stephen does it the
Igbo way. And he wouldn't shy away when
the time comes.

RITA EDOCHIE
[img]http://nigeriafilms.com/image.aspx?img=Y29udGVudC9jb250ZW50L3JpdGEtKDMpTkZDLmpwZ3w2MDA=[/img]
She has been missing in action for
sometime, but she has never failed to show
how good she is. When she speaks Igbo,
nobody needs a prophet to be told she is an
Onitsha woman. This sister-in-law to Pete
Edochie knows how well to be the opposite
of Mama G in movies.

PATIENCE OZOKWOR
[img]http://nigeriafilms.com/image.aspx?img=Y29udGVudC9jb250ZW50L01BTUFBLmpwZ3w2MDA=[/img]
Mama G is absolutely great. She speaks the
language well, and interprets them best.
Regarded as the female version of Nkem
Owoh and Chiwetalu Agu, Mama G is surely
going to benefit with Igbo movies. Time for
some Enugu dance then.

CAMILLA MBEREKPE
[img]http://nigeriafilms.com/image.aspx?img=Y29udGVudC9jb250ZW50L0NhbWlsbGEtTWJlcmVrcGVOLmpwZ3w2MDA=[/img]
Oguta-born Camilla has been competing
with Mama G for the award of 'best wicked
mother in movies. She is sure a handful.
Expect more from her

UCHE OGBODO
[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQW1qGIsw1CVDtE3V84qXPHVdOCGJpv2iJcfAo-ab3lb3TJPZPmavXa2Q[/img]
Uche speaks Igbo and she doesn't care
what you think People have not stopped
seeing her in movies, especially ones that
involve Igbo. She is set to hit it bigger when
the time comes

OGECHI OBILONU
[img]http://nigeriafilms.com/image.aspx?img=Y29udGVudC9jb250ZW50L09HRUNISS1PQklMT05VTklHRVJJQUZJTE1TLmpwZ3w2MDA=[/img]
Nobody represents Owerri people better
than Ogechi, popularly called Nwanyi Owere.
This highlife musician speaks nothing but
Owerri dialects in Igbo movies, and is so
popular in Owerri that her movies just need
her face alone to sell. Since she took a break
to have a kid sometime back, the 33 year old
actress has been missing. But she would
surely be the one to benefit most when the
cameras finally start rolling.

CHIDI IHEZIE
[img]http://nigeriafilms.com/image.aspx?img=Y29udGVudC9jb250ZW50L0NISURJLUlIRVpJRU5JR0VSSUFGSUxNUy5qcGd8NjAw[/img]
Nothing much has been heard from this Imo
state actress, but with the new movie plan,
surely she would be back to playing those
her roles.

AMAECHI MUONAGOR
[img]http://nigeriafilms.com/image.aspx?img=Y29udGVudC9jb250ZW50L0FtYWVjaGktTXVvbmFnb25pZ2VyaWFmaWxtcy5qcGd8NjAw[/img]
Amaechi's Obosi dialect can never be
missed, and that is one of his assets. He has
a great mastery of the language, and adages
are a walk in the park for him. Surely,
producers would come running after him
when the time comes.

CHIWETALU AGU
[img]http://nigeriafilms.com/image.aspx?img=Y29udGVudC9jb250ZW50L0NoaXdldGFsdS1BZ3UuanBnfDYwMA==[/img]
Enugu state seems to possess a lot of stars,
and Agu is one of them. He has endeared
himself to a lot of movie fans with his
habitual twist with words. He would surely
be a handful.

NKEM OWOH
[img]http://nigeriafilms.com/image.aspx?img=Y29udGVudC9jb250ZW50L05rZW0tT3dvaGZmZy5qcGd8NjAw[/img]
Osuofia is just what he is - Osuofia. Comedy
seems to come with talent, and Nkem has
them in abundance. Arguably the best
comedian in Nigeria, he also possesses
great mastery of the Igbo language. Nobody
speaks it better, and nobody has a grasp of
the adage better. The Enugu state actor
would surely has his lift with the Igbo
movies.

PETE EDOCHIE
[img]http://nigeriafilms.com/image.aspx?img=Y29udGVudC9jb250ZW50L3BldGVlZWEuanBnfDYwMA==[/img]
Without doubt the father of the industry,
Pete Edochie has come a long way. With a
dint of hardwork, the former broadcaster
has been able to make himself a nollywood
ever-present. But with the rise of Olu Jacobs,
Edochie seems to have been relegated to the
background. With the Igbo movies however,
Ebubedike would have the opportunity of
telling Olu how an Igwe should act, as he
has said.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by babymama3: 9:53pm On Dec 30, 2012
I love the Igbo movies
There is one on you tube titled Odogwu starring NKem Owoh,Ogechi Obilonu
It is a great movie
They are more entertaining
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by EzePromoe: 12:17am On Dec 31, 2012
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 8:18am On Dec 31, 2012
I've noticed a sudden rise in Igbo movie production. I watched a movie titled "Ada Mbano" that was acted by Queen Nwokoye and it was good. She spoke Mbano throughout the movie. I also watched a movie titled "Nne Ife adigo" starring Kenneth Okonkwo, Patience Ozokwor, Chioma Chukwuka and Nuella Njubigbo.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by EzePromoe: 8:20am On Dec 31, 2012
Remembered when I used to watch Igbo films like Ononikpo aku, Odum na Akwaeke, Echi eteka etc. They're so interesting. I wonder why these producers halted the production of this Igbo movies. Do they think we love the English movies than our Igbo movies?
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by EzePromoe: 8:23am On Dec 31, 2012
afam4eva: I've noticed a sudden rise in Igbo movie production. I watched a movie titled "Ada Mbano" that was acted by Queen Nwokoye and it was good. She spoke Mbano throughout the movie. I also watched a movie titled "Nne Ife adigo" starring Kenneth Okonkwo, Patience Ozokwor, Chioma Chukwuka and Nuella Njubigbo.
Nne Ifeadigo is the Igbo version of 'Mama Arrangee', that is some of the things i expect from our producers even if they want to make English films to make more money, they should produce also the Igbo version to make even more money.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Eifeh(m): 3:55pm On Dec 31, 2012
Still watching AJUM AKWAN IKO starring Queen Nwokoye, Ngozi. AKA OKU Starring mama gee. ADA MBANO
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by babymama3: 4:30pm On Dec 31, 2012
afam4eva: I've noticed a sudden rise in Igbo movie production. I watched a movie titled "Ada Mbano" that was acted by Queen Nwokoye and it was good. She spoke Mbano throughout the movie. I also watched a movie titled "Nne Ife adigo" starring Kenneth Okonkwo, Patience Ozokwor, Chioma Chukwuka and Nuella Njubigbo.

I watched the English version first and thought it was a great movie till I watched it in Igbo
The way Kenneth Okonkwo speaks Igbo just kills me
Patience Ozokwor and her proverbs are something else

Chioma Chuwuka and Nuella Njuibigbo were excellent too.
That movie is a must see

Look for the movie Onye eze
It is one hilarious movie
There is this funny character there that is Nkem Owoh's partner in crime,he speaks with an Oguta- like accent
The man is a hoot

Nkem's wife was Ogechi nwanyi Owerre
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Eifeh(m): 9:34pm On Dec 31, 2012
Nna you need to watch AJUM OKWAM IKO is so interesting Queen Nwokoye is funny in igbo movie, she is the best for me for now. Starring Queen Nwokoye, Ngozi Ezeonu, dat man witi white hiar.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Eifeh(m): 9:40pm On Dec 31, 2012
Eze Promoe: Remembered when I used to watch Igbo films like Ononikpo aku, Odum na Akwaeke, Echi eteka etc. They're so interesting. I wonder why these producers halted the production of this Igbo movies. Do they think we love the English movies than our Igbo movies?
Ononikpo Aku, onye eze, ofor na ugoo my best igbo movie so far
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by babymama3: 10:50pm On Dec 31, 2012
Eifeh: Ononikpo Aku, onye eze, ofor na ugoo my best igbo movie so far

Yes Onye eze is the movie I described earlier but called it Odogwu ( let me modify)
Odogwu is another good movie
Onye eze is great!
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 1:25am On Jan 01, 2013
@eifeh i think i've watched that movie. is that not the movie where queen nwokoye was a member of a church where they were not allowed to marry a man until...
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Eifeh(m): 7:25am On Jan 01, 2013
afam4eva: @eifeh i think i've watched that movie. is that not the movie where queen nwokoye was a member of a church where they were not allowed to marry a man until...
yes
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by EzePromoe: 4:56pm On Jan 02, 2013
I wish all this our English ish can be translated to Igbo and subtitled. It will be more interesting for non-Igbos who wishes to watch. I also wish actors/actresses like Genevieve, Jim Iyke, Tonto Dike, Monalisa Chinda etc, can speak Igbo, our movies will even be more interesting. I don't know if actors/actresses like Mike Ozuruonye, Chacha Eke, Oge Okoye etc can speak Igbo but Mike looks like one who's capable.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 5:04pm On Jan 02, 2013
Eze Promoe: I wish all this our English ish can be translated to Igbo and subtitled. It will be more interesting for non-Igbos who wishes to watch. I also wish actors/actresses like Genevieve, Jim Iyke, Tonto Dike, Monalisa Chinda etc, can speak Igbo, our movies will even be more interesting. I don't know if actors/actresses like Mike Ozuruonye, Chacha Eke, Oge Okoye etc can speak Igbo but Mike looks like one who's capable.
Most of these Actors can speak Igbo very well. But the question is that: will some of them agree to act an Igbo movie? Some of them will see it as shameful. We mustn't use these mainstream Actors to act movies but instead carve a niche for those who are interested in it and also introduce new faces. The Igbo movies industry should just be built around Queen Nwokoye, Patience Ozokwor, Kenneth Okonkwo, Osuofia, Princess Chineke, Chioma Chukwuka etc.

I've noticed that people who act Igbo movies do it better compared to when they act English movies and that's because the language is second nature to them and they feel free speaking their native language as opposed to speaking English or Engligbo on some occassions.

1 Like

Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 10:01pm On Apr 28, 2013
I just had to revive this thread...

Any new Igbo movies anyone?
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by EzePromoe: 1:49am On May 01, 2013
Afam4eva: I just had to revive this thread...

Any new Igbo movies anyone?
I'll check.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Eifeh(m): 10:39am On May 01, 2013
there is many igbo film now, you have to Akwa Nwanyi Ajadu starring yul edochie
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by dollydolly(f): 9:49am On May 04, 2013
Eze Promoe: I wish all this our English ish can be translated to Igbo and subtitled. It will be more interesting for non-Igbos who wishes to watch. I also wish actors/actresses like Genevieve, Jim Iyke, Tonto Dike, Monalisa Chinda etc, can speak Igbo, our movies will even be more interesting. I don't know if actors/actresses like Mike Ozuruonye, Chacha Eke, Oge Okoye etc can speak Igbo but Mike looks like one who's capable.
I tink all d above named can speak Igbo fluently wit d exception of Monalisa.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 10:08am On May 04, 2013
dolly dolly: I tink all d above named can speak Igbo fluently wit d exception of Monalisa.
How do you know Monalisa can't speak Igbo?
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by EzePromoe: 11:44pm On May 04, 2013
dolly dolly: I tink all d above named can speak Igbo fluently wit d exception of Monalisa.
Even Genevieve
I doubt
Even if they would speak, but they'd be counting tongue.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 1:29pm On Oct 08, 2013
Eze Promoe:
Even Genevieve
I doubt
Even if they would speak, but they'd be counting tongue.

Genevieve can speak. You know she grew up in Lagos. Mary Remy is one person whose fluency in the language surprised me. She grew up in Lagos too. I just watched Ada Mbano where she starred and I just love the movie. Queen Nwokoye is very crazy! grin

Ndidi Obi aka Nneka the Pretty Serpent grew up in Apapa Lagos all her life and her fluency in Igbo is impeccable.

Sugar Chika Asoegwu is another very good actress. She's very real in her acting.

Princess Chineke aka Leonora is another amazing actress. I just love her way and accent of speaking Igbo. Typical of Nnewi or Enugu(042)-brought up people.

1 Like

Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 1:31pm On Oct 08, 2013

She can but she'll speak it the Ikwerre way or at most the Owerri-like way.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 1:33pm On Oct 08, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Genevieve can speak. You know she grew up in Lagos. Mary Remy is one person whose fluency in the language surprised me. I just watched Ada Mbano where she starred and I just love the movie. Queen Nwokoye is very crazy! grin

Ndidi Obi aka Nneka the Pretty Serpent grew up in Apapa Lagos all her life and her fluency in Igbo is impeccable.

Sugar Chika Asoegwu is another very good actress. She's very real in her acting.

Princess Chineke aka Leonora is another amazing actress. I just love her way and accent of speaking Igbo. Typical of Nnewi or Enugu(042)-brought up people.
I think it's a shame that we should be surprised at people over 25 and grewp up in Nigeria speaking Igbo? Why should Mary Remmy speaking Igbo surprise anyone? Did she grow up in Alaska? Pls, there are tens of millions of people who speak Igbo but because there's unavailability of Igbo movies and media content, it's assumed that a lot of these Enlish speaking Actors cannot speak Igbo.

Btw, i watched Ada Mbano and i liked Mary Remmy and princess Chineke's part. Queen Nwokoye was on another level entirely.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 1:35pm On Oct 08, 2013
bigfrancis21:

She can but she'll speak it the Ikwerre way or at most the Owerri-like way.
Most Ikwerres speak central Igbo in addition to Ikwerre and even if they can't speak Central Igbo, they can be made to speak it with little guidance. As a matter of fact, Monalisa Chinda's mother if from Imo state, so she should be able to speak Igbo.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 1:39pm On Oct 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
I think it's a shame that we should be surprised at people over 25 and grewp up in Nigeria speaking Igbo? Why should Mary Remmy speaking Igbo surprise anyone? Did she grow up in Alaska? Pls, there are tens of millions of people who speak Igbo but because there's unavailability of Igbo movies and media content, it's assumed that a lot of these Enlish speaking Actors cannot speak Igbo.

Btw, i watched Ada Mbano and i liked Mary Remmy and princess Chineke's part. Queen Nwokoye was on another level entirely.

Yea. Its true. I don't see why we should be surprised. Its everyone's right to speak one's language fluently. My parents raised me up with English buh I ensured I learnt Igbo and I learnt it under 1 year and now I speak Anambra/Onitsha Igbo so fluently that many people ask me if I grew up in Onitsha or come from Onitsha. The dialect is the same with that of my town, Enugwu-ukwu, anyway except for a few exceptions.

Rita Edochie is a pure Onitsha woman. You need to hear her speak Igbo. Woow...so lovely to the ears.

The fact that many people get surprised is that for so many years we've been watching them speak only English and unconsciously assume they can't speak Igbo. Ebube Nwagbo speaks fluently too, though having grown up all her life in Warri. Mike Ezuruonye is a master in the language. 042-brought up guy.

As for Ada Mbano...Queen Nwokoye was entirely on another level. grin That Anambra lady is crazy!
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 1:41pm On Oct 08, 2013
bigfrancis21:
As for Ada Mbano...Queen Nwokoye was entirely on another level. grin That Anambra lady is crazy!
This is what surprised me the most. I was surprised than an Anambra lady could speak Mbano dialect so well and comfortably.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 1:44pm On Oct 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
This is what surprised me the most. I was surprised than an Anambra lady could speak Mbano dialect so well and comfortably.

Yea. She really pulled the stunt well, though it wasn't all that pure. She spoke all through with some efforts sha and her mbano was still laced with Anambra words here and there. Overall, I give her 85% fluency in the dialect.

I grew up in Owerri. When I see a 100% Mbano speaker I'll quickly know.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by EzePromoe: 4:36pm On Oct 08, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Genevieve can speak. You know she grew up in Lagos. Mary Remy is one person whose fluency in the language surprised me. She grew up in Lagos too. I just watched Ada Mbano where she starred and I just love the movie. Queen Nwokoye is very crazy! grin

Fluency is not actually the issue but will they turn up when called for a set?
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 12:23am On Oct 09, 2013
Eze Promoe:

Hey man. Waddup? Long time.

They should come up. Its all a matter of personal choice anyway. But as a sign of patriotism to their native land, they should.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by EzePromoe: 9:49pm On Oct 10, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Hey man. Waddup? Long time.

They should come up. Its all a matter of personal choice anyway. But as a sign of patriotism to their native land, they should.
Few or no Nigerian will do anything for patriotism. Its all about the money.
You're welcome bro.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 10:57pm On Oct 10, 2013
Eze Promoe:
A lot of them don't really care about the Igbo language but would turn up if the money is right. This is what has been plaguing anything IGBO. The people are always after what they can get personally and not what they can help the community(Igbo) achieve.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Is The Cartoon Of Alltime / Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget / Gulder Ultimate Search 2: meet the contestants!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.