Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! (14523 Views)

Nigerian Actors To Pay $1000, Producers Pay $5000 To Work In Ghana / One Of The Best Igbo Movies Rattle Snake (ahanna And Odinnaka ) / No More Igbo Movies: Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 9:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
Speaking of Igbo-language movies, who has seen the movie-trailer of this latest Igbo-language movie, Onye Ozi, shot on location in UK starring Okey Bakassi, Ngozi Igwebike and British stars in which British people were speaking Igbo?

The movie, Onye Ozi, tells the story of Metumaribe (Okey Bakassi) fresh into London with high expectations and a two-year plan to return to Nigeria a rich man. However, life in London with his new ‘wife’ Mkpurunma (Ngozi Igwebike) is not going to plan. On one fateful night, TJ an old English man (Stephen Moriaty) is chased by masked men and shot in front of his eyes. As Metu attempts to help the dying man, he hands Metu an envelope and whispers a message as he takes his last breath. From that point on, Metu becomes involved in a psychological but hilarious adventure that will change his life and the lives of those around him forever.

The movie will be one of the biggest movies of 2013 and will be premiering on Friday October 18, 2013 in UK. You can watch the movie trailer here:

http://www.bellanaija.com/2013/10/11/life-is-not-greener-on-the-other-side-all-you-need-to-know-about-obi-emelonyes-igbo-speaking-film-onye-ozi-starring-okey-bakassi-rising-british-stars/
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by EzePromoe: 7:43pm On Oct 12, 2013
^ I will sure like to see this movie

1 Like

Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 7:51pm On Oct 12, 2013
Me too smiley
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 8:12pm On Oct 12, 2013
Afam4eva: Me too smiley

Hello Afam. Good evening. Please I just created a new thread on the Onye Ozi movie in the movie section and while I was creating it I saw the warning in red asking not to post adverts or get banned. I hope my post isn't of an advertorial nature? The opening post on the thread I created is exactly the same as what I posted up here.

If it is, tell me how to go about it appropriately. Thanks.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 8:15pm On Oct 12, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Hello Afam. Good evening. Please I just created a new thread on the Onye Ozi movie on the movie section and while I was creating it I saw the warning in red asking not to post adverts or get banned. I hope my post isn't of an advertorial nature? The opening post on the thread I created is the same as what I posted up here.

If it is, tell me how to go about it appropriately. Thanks.

Good evening...No, it's not an advert.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 8:32pm On Oct 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
Good evening...No, it's not an advert.

Ok. Thank you!
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Eifeh(m): 4:07pm On Dec 08, 2013
New Igbo movie, Onyebuchiem starring jim lyke and zack orji soundtrack by flavour nabania must watch

1 Like

Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 7:08pm On Dec 08, 2013
Eifeh: New Igbo movie, Onyebuchiem starring jim lyke and zack orji soundtrack by flavour nabania must watch

Cool! Featuring Jim Iyke the guy man? Its a must watch for me. I'm so downloading the movie. grin
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 7:15pm On Dec 08, 2013
Eifeh: New Igbo movie, Onyebuchiem starring jim lyke and zack orji soundtrack by flavour nabania must watch
Any link pls? This is really the Renaissance of Igbo movies.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Eifeh(m): 7:29pm On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Any link pls? This is really the Renaissance of Igbo movies.
No i watch it in African Magic you can Google it
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 7:32pm On Dec 08, 2013
Eifeh: No i watch it in African Magic you can Google it
Is it the advert or the movie itself that you watched on African Magic. If you watched the movie then it must be in VCD and i'll look for it.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 7:36pm On Dec 08, 2013
I just googled the movie and i discovered that it's not a new movie. It came out in 2010. I wonder why i hadn't heard about it all this while. I have to find it.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Eifeh(m): 9:06pm On Dec 09, 2013
Afam4eva: I just googled the movie and i discovered that it's not a new movie. It came out in 2010. I wonder why i hadn't heard about it all this while. I have to find it.
ok have u watch Akwa nwayi Ajadu ft Yul Edochie, is Onye Ozi in the Market?
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 11:20pm On Dec 09, 2013
Eifeh: ok have u watch Akwa nwayi Ajadu ft Yul Edochie, is Onye Ozi in the Market?
I think i've watched Akwa Nwayi Ajadu. As for Onye Ozi, i think it's a cinema movie. It won't be released to cds just yet.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by EzePromoe: 1:02pm On Dec 11, 2013
Please someone tell me how Jim Iyke's Igbo sounds grin
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 9:40pm On Dec 11, 2013
Eze Promoe: Please someone tell me how Jim Iyke's Igbo sounds grin

Yea...I can imagine. grin
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Nobody: 12:14am On Dec 12, 2013
Eze Promoe: I wish all this our English ish can be translated to Igbo and subtitled. It will be more interesting for non-Igbos who wishes to watch. I also wish actors/actresses like Genevieve, Jim Iyke, Tonto Dike, Monalisa Chinda etc, can speak Igbo, our movies will even be more interesting. I don't know if actors/actresses like Mike Ozuruonye, Chacha Eke, Oge Okoye etc can speak Igbo but Mike looks like one who's capable.
Mike Ezuruonye and Oge Okoye are fluent Igbo speakers. I watched an Igbo movie with Oge Okoye, Emeka Ike, Tony One Week, Chiege Alisigwe, Amaechi Muonagor and some others. It was like Oge was rapping in Igbo in the movie.

Eze Promoe: Please someone tell me how Jim Iyke's Igbo sounds grin
I've seen the movie Eifeh is referring to. Jim Iyke's Igbo was surprisingly smooth. I didn't think that bad boy Jim Iyke could speak such clean Igbo. grin

1 Like

Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 1:47pm On Dec 12, 2013
AdannayaBella:
Mike Ezuruonye and Oge Okoye are fluent Igbo speakers. I watched an Igbo movie with Oge Okoye, Emeka Ike, Tony One Week, Chiege Alisigwe, Amaechi Muonagor and some others. It was like Oge was rapping in Igbo in the movie.

I've seen the movie Eifeh is referring to. Jim Iyke's Igbo was surprisingly smooth. I didn't think that bad boy Jim Iyke could speak such clean Igbo. grin

Cool. Would love to see the movie Oge Okoye acted in. The anambra girl who was born and raised partially in London. smiley

Jim Iyke's own is another wonder of its own. grin
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 2:03pm On Dec 12, 2013
AdannayaBella:

Why should anyone be surprised that the likes of Oge Okoye and Mike Ezunronye can speak Igbo? Are they not Igbos? It's not like they gre up as Ajebutters or something.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 2:22pm On Dec 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
Why should anyone be surprised that the likes of Oge Okoye and Mike Ezunronye can speak Igbo? Are they not Igbos? It's not like they gre up as Ajebutters or something.

The surprise comes from the fact that all these years we've been used to watching them speak only English, without them even using one or two Igbo phrases here and there in speech. Take Patience Ozokwor or Nkem Owoh for example, even though you may not have seen them before acting Igbo-language movies, you wouldn't doubt that they speak Igbo because in the English language movies they act, they frequently use Igbo phrases here and there in their speech. That isn't the same for the ilk of Oge Okoye, Rita Dominic, Monalisa Chinda, Jim Iyke etc who all form 'polished' and parade that air of 'being classy'.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 2:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
bigfrancis21:

The surprise comes from the fact that all these years we've been used to watching them speak only English, without even using one or two Igbo phrases here and there in speech. Take Patience Ozokwor or Nkem Owoh for example, even though you haven't seen them before acting Igbo-language movies, you wouldn't doubt that they speak because in the English language movies they act, they frequently use Igbo phrases here and there in their speech. That isn't the same for the ilk of Oge Okoye, Rita Dominic, Monalisa Chinda, Jim Iyke etc who all form 'polished' and parade that air of 'being classy'.
I acutally hope to see the likes of Genevive, Monalisa Chinda, Rita Dominic, Tonto etc in Igbo movies cos that will even encourage the younger ajebutter Igbo generation to want to learn and speak Igbo. It will make Igbo language attractive for them. We shouldn't leave Igbo movies to the likes of Chiwetalu Agu, Patience Ozokwor, pete Edochie and the likes. We need to funkify Igbo as much as possible.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Nobody: 5:02pm On Dec 12, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Cool. Would love to see the movie Oge Okoye acted in. The anambra girl who was born and raised partially in London. smiley

Jim Iyke's own is another wonder of its own. grin
http://irokotv.com/video/5121/oke-ochicho

Afam4eva:
Why shouldn't anyone be surprised? undecided undecided. Anyway, bigfrancis21 has already answered your question.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 5:19pm On Dec 28, 2013
I must say that gradually, Igbo movies are coming back. I watched a few Igbo movies over this Christmas and they include:

1) Ada Mbano Reloaded - This is the latest release of the Ada Mbano franchise. I loved every bit of it just like i did the previous parts. I must give thumps up to Queen Nwokoye for bringing something exciting to the plate and actually speaking the Mbano dialect well despite being from Anambra state.

2) Nwa Abakaliki: I actually saw a movie such as this coming after Ada Mbano and i must say i'm not dissapointed as the lady who acted it(can't remember her name) did very well and interpreted the accent pretty well. I know this because the Abakiliki accent is kinda similar to the Nkanu accent. I can't wait to watch the other part of the movie titled "Ada Abakaliki".

I expect to see Ada Asaba, Ada Owerri, Ada Ngwa, Ada Onitsha, Ada Awka, Ada Umuahia and other Ada movies in the future.

1 Like

Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Nobody: 6:11pm On Dec 28, 2013
Afam4eva: I must say that gradually, Igbo movies are coming back. I watched a few Igbo movies over this Christmas and they include:

1) Ada Mbano Reloaded - This is the latest release of the Ada Mbano franchise. I loved every bit of it just like i did the previous parts. I must give thumps up to Queen Nwokoye for bringing something exciting to the plate and actually speaking the Mbano dialect well despite being from Anambra state.

2) Nwa Abakaliki: I actually saw a movie such as this coming after Ada Mbano and i must say i'm not dissapointed as the lady who acted it(can't remember her name) did very well and interpreted the accent pretty well. I know this because the Abakiliki accent is kinda similar to the Nkanu accent. I can't wait to watch the other part of the movie titled "Ada Abakaliki".

I expect to see Ada Asaba, Ada Owerri, Ada Ngwa, Ada Onitsha, Ada Awka, Ada Umuahia and other Ada movies in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8lERKr3L24

The dialect used in the movie is certainly not Owerri dialect but the title says Ada Owerri...lol. Meanwhile, who knows where I can watch Ada Mbano online?
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by guchi11: 6:08am On Dec 30, 2013
Hi all, *waves*

I am so glad to find this thread. I cannot recall the last time I posted on this forum. smiley

I have been searching for a thread that discusses the revival of Igbo Movies....and I found this one. Pretty cool.

Please, has anyone in Naija watched the new movie Olanma? If so, how is the movie?

I heard it just came out and it stars Yul Edochie, Nuella Njubigbo, Obi Okoli, Ngozi Ezeonu, Livinus Nnochiri, Emeka Amakaeze and Chika Asoegwu.

Here is Yul's tweet about the movie: https://twitter.com/YulEdochie/status/411134722329571328

FYI...I heard the movie also has an English version.

Thanks
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by guchi11: 6:11am On Dec 30, 2013
Afam4eva: I must say that gradually, Igbo movies are coming back. I watched a few Igbo movies over this Christmas and they include:

Oh...Ada Mbano Reloaded has been released? Hmmm...we are really carrying last here o. Not fair. sad

I heard about that Nwa Abakiliki movie. I hope it comes to Iroko, Ibaka or NollywoodpicturesTV etc really soon. I really want to watch it. BTW, the actress' name is Angela Okorie.

LoL @ your list. BTW add Nwa Ohafia (or Abariba...or any of the "Ogbo" towns), Nwa Nkwerre and Nwa Afikpo to the list. Hahaha
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by guchi11: 6:21am On Dec 30, 2013
AdannayaBella:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8lERKr3L24

The dialect used in the movie is certainly not Owerri dialect but the title says Ada Owerri...lol. Meanwhile, who knows where I can watch Ada Mbano online?

Ada Mbano is on IrokoTV as Adaure: http://irokotv.com/video/5034/adaure

As for Ada Mbano Reloaded, which @Afam4eva mentioned above... IrokoTv does not have that yet.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by guchi11: 6:23am On Dec 30, 2013
Meanwhile I have been looking for this movie for a long time and I cannot find it anywhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edCvVNwebyI
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by guchi11: 7:12am On Dec 30, 2013
Afam4eva:
I acutally hope to see the likes of Genevive, Monalisa Chinda, Rita Dominic, Tonto etc in Igbo movies cos that will even encourage the younger ajebutter Igbo generation to want to learn and speak Igbo. It will make Igbo language attractive for them. We shouldn't leave Igbo movies to the likes of Chiwetalu Agu, Patience Ozokwor, pete Edochie and the likes. We need to funkify Igbo as much as possible.

I see what you're saying. At least Chioma Akpotha and Uche Jombo are doing Igbo movies now.

However even if the actors you mentioned do not want to star in Igbo movies, there is a whole generation of actors (New faces and not-so-new faces) who are taking up that mantle and doing both Igbo and English movies...E.g., Michael Godson, Nuella Njubigbo, Muna Obiekwe, Uche Ogbodo, Yul Edochie, Princess Chineke, Chika Asoekwu, Chita Agwu, Jnr Pope, Mary Remmy, Angela Okorie, Chacha Eke, Chizzy Alichi, Rachael Okonkwo, Queen Nwokoye, Oma Nnadi...and many more. This is a great development.

Just watch out, once these marketers start pumping serious money into Igbo movie productions, everybody and their grandmother will start asserting their Igbo fluency. They all will be like, "I can speak Igbo very well. Anam asu Igbo ofuma". LoL

Just like Flavour and Phyno (amongst many other Igbo musicians) are making Igbo hip on the music-side, the aforementioned actors (and others who were not mentioned) will also make the language hip on the movie side. smiley

FYI...I do not think Tonto can speak Igbo o. At least she claims she cannot speak Ikwerre and that she regrets that fact.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 7:52am On Dec 30, 2013
guchi11:

I see what you're saying. At least Chioma Akpotha and Uche Jombo are doing Igbo movies now.

However even if the actors you mentioned do not want to star in Igbo movies, there is a whole generation of actors (New faces and not-so-new faces) who are taking up that mantle and doing both Igbo and English movies...E.g., Michael Godson, Nuella Njubigbo, Muna Obiekwe, Uche Ogbodo, Yul Edochie, Princess Chineke, Chika Asoekwu, Chita Agwu, Jnr Pope, Mary Remmy, Angela Okorie, Chacha Eke, Chizzy Alichi, Rachael Okonkwo, Queen Nwokoye, Oma Nnadi...and many more. This is a great development.

Just watch out, once these marketers start pumping serious money into Igbo movie productions, everybody and their grandmother will start asserting their Igbo fluency. They all will be like, "I can speak Igbo very well. Anam asu Igbo ofuma". LoL

Just like Flavour and Phyno (amongst many other Igbo musicians) are making Igbo hip on the music-side, the aforementioned actors (and others who were not mentioned) will also make the language hip on the movie side. smiley

FYI...I do not think Tonto can speak Igbo o. At least she claims she cannot speak Ikwerre and that she regrets that fact.
The reason i mentioned the likes of Genevieve and Monalisa Chinda is the fact that they're very popular and they represent the new generation and them switching to doing Igbo movies will make some people who thought speaking Igbo was bad to have a rethink. That's why i have always clamored for us to start having Igbo musicians rapping in Igbo like Phyno and Splash are doing and not just the Akanchawa kind of music. The world is moving very fast and hip hop has become a tool to attract the young ones, so we have to encourage the use of Igbo language in a swagalicious manner so that our young ones will key into it. I recently watched the auditioning for "Nigeria;s got Talent" and i saw several people coming out to rap in Igbo. Even though they didn't make it through but it shows that they have been inbfluenced by the likes of Phyno, Ill Bliss etc. I also commend Obi Emelonye for doing an Igbo movie in London where some whites were speaking Igbo. That will make some people down here to be ashamed of themselves that white people are speaking it while they can't. Lol.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by guchi11: 8:36am On Dec 30, 2013
Afam4eva:
The reason i mentioned the likes of Genevieve and Monalisa Chinda is the fact that they're very popular and they represent the new generation and them switching to doing Igbo movies will make some people who thought speaking Igbo was bad to have a rethink. That's why i have always clamored for us to start having Igbo musicians rapping in Igbo like Phyno and Splash are doing and not just the Akanchawa kind of music. The world is moving very fast and hip hop has become a tool to attract the young ones, so we have to encourage the use of Igbo language in a swagalicious manner so that our young ones will key into it. I recently watched the auditioning for "Nigeria;s got Talent" and i saw several people coming out to rap in Igbo. Even though they didn't make it through but it shows that they have been inbfluenced by the likes of Phyno, Ill Bliss etc. I also commend Obi Emelonye for doing an Igbo movie in London where some whites were speaking Igbo. That will make some people down here to be ashamed of themselves that white people are speaking it while they can't. Lol.

I agree.

Afam, Genevieve and Monalisa are popular...but "new generation"? No nah....LoL. That title (i.e. New Generation) should go to the likes of OC Ukeje, Linda Ejiofor, Uti Nwachukwu, Alex Ekubo, Ijeoma Agu, Eyinnaya Nwigwe, IK Ogbonna (you know the younger faces of "New Nollywood" (aka Cinema Nollywood) ). And I know that the majority of those actors (if not all) speak Igbo fluently.

Anyway, don't mind me. I got your point. smiley
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by EzePromoe: 12:53am On Dec 31, 2013
Afam4eva:
You are right on this.
These actresses have influence on the youths, and many look up to them as role model. I can't help but imagine an Igbo movie featuring the acts of Genevieve Nnaji, Monalisa Chinda, Tonto Dikeh, Chelsea Eze et cetera smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Is The Cartoon Of Alltime / JAGABAN Ft SELINA TESTED Episode 23 & 24 (war At Dawn) #viralvideo #trending / Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.