Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,793 members, 7,956,029 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:46 PM

The Engineer's Yuletide Memoir - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Engineer's Yuletide Memoir (610 Views)

Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience / Weatherford Trainee Wireline Field Engineer Interview, Help Pls / Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Engineer's Yuletide Memoir by oremisussan: 1:12pm On Jan 02, 2013
Happy New Year, may I say?

Can’t say for sure that my head’s cleared completely of residual liquor. Yes, I am an Engineer. And Yes, I gulped eight bottles or nine; I actually lost count after the fourth.

It's being a long time, I never had the guts to loose guards as freely as I did this year (or last year, depending on when you are reading this). My care-free indulgence in the act this time was aided by the believe that the crème-de-la-crème in our profession just do get messy sometimes too.

I need not try to pep-talk you into believing that the Engineer's task could be onerous and challenging, you already know.

What you may not know, however, is that the Engineer sits by one oil well for more than ten years, half of which he is in touch and the other half, out of touch with friends and family; studying some seismic waves, nursing the would-be money-spinning oiler.

Many a time, permitting processes and lawsuits to stop production would simultaneously be ongoing, so, the Engineer may not have to stay too far away from the legal team.

More than 50 hurricanes want him dead (if he is in the US), his host community believes he breathes money, and so, he is a hot target for kidnappers (if he is in Nigeria). Back and forth, he finally gets his rig up and operational. Alas! He is ten years older. Doubt, he thinks about those wrinkles on his forehead. Off he moves to another well.

Again, he is the Engineer; he is to deliver on a massive project - the construction of some infinitely long bridge. His client throws at him seemingly unimaginable challenge; wanting both mind-blowing aesthetics and mind-blogging strength. After which client goes to sleep while Engineer loses his’.

That is his job.

He constantly races against time. Resources, since limited, must be efficiently deployed. But then, the Engineer delivers again. While client boastfully picks a pair of scissors, ready to cut tape marking the commissioning of his bridge, the Engineer takes to the back role, pen and paper in hand; he is already strategizing on the next solution to yet another challenge plaguing humanity.

The Engineer, more than any other professional, just can’t draw the line between job and issues in his personal life. He takes job with him everywhere. Why wouldn’t he? Does he know what he might be doing when that idea will just drop on his mind? That dot-connector clue that has stalled progress for months.

Unfortunately, the world on the outside is moving very fast.

And so, it suddenly dawned on me, how much I have forsaken myself. Therefore, I had to spoil myself a little this yuletide; I suppressed that alert cognitive state where I’m aware of myself and my calling. I was lucky I was not called to duty at those moments of slackness.

Now I’m back. Mankind has me; for another long stretch. I deliberately asked for these much. I am their ENGINEER.

Source: http://go.engineer-ng.net/profiles/blogs/a-little-wine-don-t-hurt-the-engineer

Re: The Engineer's Yuletide Memoir by deolub: 8:22pm On Jan 02, 2013
Nice one...Good work
Re: The Engineer's Yuletide Memoir by oremisussan: 5:43pm On Jan 03, 2013
deolub: Nice one...Good work
Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

How To Achieve Your Goals In Life...................... / Does The Wrong Choice Of Career Effect One's Future? / How Much Do Banks Pay ENTRY LEVEL EXECUTIVE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.