Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,896 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience (12546 Views)

Using Linkedin In Your Job Search / Questions A Job Seeker Shouldn't Ask In An Interview. / Help This Frustrated Job Seeker. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by nenergy(m): 11:14pm On Oct 07, 2013
Three months, that was the time frame within which I was sure I would get a job. So after the fifth month without a job, depression naturally crept in. My name is Nenergy and this is my story.

I graduated from the University of Uyo with a degree in marketing and was posted to serve in Gombe State under the National Youth Service scheme. Service year ended in October, 2011 and despite the reality of job scarcity I was so sure a job will be in my grasp in just three months. Why was I so certain? Well for one, I was well armed with knowledge and skills I got from attending career seminars and employability workshops like the Microsoft Employability Programme organized by LEAP Africa. I was also certain that my enthusiasm and can-do attitude will work the magic. Yes, knowledge, skills, enthusiasm and a can-do attitude did work some magic, but one essential element was missing – I did not understand the Nigerian job market.

My job search started in January 2012, but the fuel subsidy crisis made that January a NO-VACANCY period in Nigeria. February came and went and so did March, and April, yet not even an invitation for aptitude test. Something was clearly wrong. Were my applications all going to the recycle bin or shredder? Depression set in, my enthusiasm waned, my savings dried up, and I began having disagreements with my parents. I found solace in relating with other job-seekers. We would gather to share information and recruitment stories and discuss the way forward. The movie “The Company Men” was also an inspiration. The movie plot is based on the lives of working class men who lost their jobs due to redundancy. Life was tough and depression set in, but they did not give up. They got their lives back because they had faith, courage and enthusiasm.

With renewed zest, I began to study trends in the Nigerian job market and also focused on personal development. I reset my goals, improve my computing skills, re-crafted my CV, extended my searchlight, pounded the streets more and things began to look up. The aptitude tests invites began to trickle in, and then came the interviews. I got my fair share of rejections, even turned down two job offers and in September 2012 after an aptitude test, a minor car accident, a computer based test and two interviews, I got a job (my first BIG job). Not just any job, but a job that matches my skill, abilities and career objective.

Today, the story can be told of how a young Nigerian found a thrilling and fulfilling job after almost 9 months of protracted search. The long wait was not easy, but it was worth it because it birthed THE JOB SEEKERS’ CREED™. I did it, and so will you. See you at the top!

28 Likes

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Cutesthunk(m): 11:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
wow! Very inspiring.! Ur write up ignited the '' yes I can spirit''in me.... .i'm very sure you're still going places pal, God bles u.........

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by specialguest(f): 11:45pm On Oct 07, 2013
9 months is not a very long time for a job hunt. Yes some are lucky to get employment letters months before they are through with NYSC but to be frank majority are not. I learnt that you cannot be termed an unemployed graduate unless you've spent two full years in the labour market! Anything short of that means you only passed through a job seeking phase.

Btw I really cant wait to get an autographed copy of the book wink and i hope you didnt put this smiley face on the cover!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Nobody: 12:38am On Oct 08, 2013
cool stuff!

2 Likes

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by ecolime(m): 6:53am On Oct 08, 2013
Congrats bro. I really thank God for you. I pray I also will be here soonest to share my job offer testimony. The Nigerian labour market is really a tough one but with the right attitude and God's favour, we will surely overcome.

2 Likes

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Cutesthunk(m): 7:11am On Oct 08, 2013
ecolime: Congrats bro. I really thank God for you. I pray I also will be here soonest to share my job offer testimony. The Nigerian labour market is really a tough one but with the right attitude and God's favour, we will surely overcome.
Yes! Try ur best but rely On God's favour!

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by nenergy(m): 7:57am On Oct 08, 2013
ecolime: Congrats bro. I really thank God for you. I pray I also will be here soonest to share my job offer testimony. The Nigerian labour market is really a tough one but with the right attitude and God's favour, we will surely overcome.
Your testimony loading....99%

2 Likes

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Nobody: 3:49pm On Oct 08, 2013
Subscribing

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Brymo: 3:50pm On Oct 08, 2013
nice story line

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by otijah(m): 3:51pm On Oct 08, 2013
Henrick007: AM off to Johannesburg General Hospital. My neighbour's kid has just swallowed an 8 gigabytes memory card. At first it choked him but he is ok now. Trouble is that he is busy singing all the songs in the card, we are worried of what is gonna happen when he gets to the videos section!
lol, when it comes to mojo vids, he be like " hmmm ahhhh hmmm ahhhh, dnt stop baby, give it to me, hmm ahhh" wahala dey for NL. @op thanking God for ur life

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Lilimax(f): 3:51pm On Oct 08, 2013
Very inspiring write up smiley
One word: Doggedness!
-
-
Afterall success required dogged determination wink
Good to know it paid off at the end smiley.

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by bebe2(f): 3:51pm On Oct 08, 2013
angry
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Pretyangel25(f): 3:52pm On Oct 08, 2013
Congrat Bros, I'm happy 4 u. Nice write up

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:55pm On Oct 08, 2013
I neva chop. I dey kom 2 xray ur memoir

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by infoscope(m): 3:56pm On Oct 08, 2013
good one, we will soon get their

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by alfredo4u(m): 3:57pm On Oct 08, 2013
Dis can also help.

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Pretyangel25(f): 3:58pm On Oct 08, 2013
I can't believe myself. Front page tin
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by worksmart(m): 3:59pm On Oct 08, 2013
ok.

brb
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Nobody: 3:59pm On Oct 08, 2013
Pretyangel25: I can't believe myself. Front page tin
See u! U no get job. Lolz
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Nobody: 4:02pm On Oct 08, 2013
Soo hapi for you bros...I wish you promotions in your work place...could u tell us where u got ur current job if you don't mind?
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by gal10(f): 4:13pm On Oct 08, 2013
Very timely piece for me! Can't wait for my own testimony and of course i promise to share it on NL! congrats op!
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 08, 2013
I'd share this story for those who need an inspiration
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by Tinkybabe(f): 4:22pm On Oct 08, 2013
Really inspiring post.I'm happy for you.
And your quote,it's deep.Thanks for sharing
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by sholay2011(m): 4:24pm On Oct 08, 2013
Tinkybabe: Really inspiring post.I'm happy for you.
And your quote,it's deep.Thanks for sharing
I'm glad someone noticed the inspiring quote. I love it!

Congrats @OP.
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by pickabeau1: 4:27pm On Oct 08, 2013
nice concept but i feel its too premature for front page

Let it get a critical mass then it goes back

#asuugetslonger

1 Like

Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by babsdeen(m): 4:32pm On Oct 08, 2013
This has given me "a coming soon jobseeker " a renewed HOPE
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by osifred(m): 4:43pm On Oct 08, 2013
Nice one

The sad truth is no job in Nigeria.

40million people unemployed. That is like the entire population of Ghana, Togo, Benin republic combine not being employed.

Am not offering employment but click this lick to read about how to increase your chance of employment

https://www.nairaland.com/1329105/how-get-job-possibly-increase
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by AdimGreat(f): 4:44pm On Oct 08, 2013
I'll soon share my own testimony too. My God is faithful. Its well!
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by ade101(m): 4:47pm On Oct 08, 2013
Good one op
Re: Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience by UyiIredia(m): 4:50pm On Oct 08, 2013
@ OP: That's cool. Your name too smiley An inspiring story.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Massive Shake Up In NNPC, 55 Staff Affected / 5 Reasons Working From Your Home Is The Best. / Reasons Why The Best Time To Train As A Nurse Is Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.