Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,203 members, 7,953,749 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:12 AM

Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? (12843 Views)

Groom Abandons New Bride At Benin Registry, Takes To His Heels On Sighting Wife / How Much Would You Spend For Your First Wedding/Marriage Anniversary? / How Did You Celebrate Your 1st Marriage Anniversary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by Priestess(f): 3:31pm On Jan 04, 2013
Hello Nairalanders, which date should be recorded as for marriage anniversary. In a country like ours, we do perform traditional, registry and church wedding. And mostly all couples choose the church date as the 'MAIN DATE' and abandon the traditional and reg dates.
First of all, couples need their families blessings and approval before anything happens. Then forward their approval in a letter to the church which will officiate the wedding.
The registry will require the presence of the family members as witness. So which date is best it to choose?
Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 05, 2013
D church date is d exact date when couples should have their anniversary,its the conventional way

5 Likes

Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by CrazyMan(m): 8:14pm On Jan 05, 2013
kulyie: D church date is d exact date when couples should have their anniversary,its the conventional way
Traditional marriage is the main marriage cos that's where all traditional marriage rites are observed. You go to you wife-to-be's house, present drinks to her people, take her out of her father's house into yours...etc

Church wedding is more like a thanksgiving service.

Therefore I feel the anniversary should be the date of the traditional marriage.

21 Likes

Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by Priestess(f): 10:10pm On Jan 05, 2013
Thank you very much guys. I agree with crayzman cuz the church needs the permission of family to wed the couple.
Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jan 05, 2013
I think the day you and your man made L.oove should be the anniversary. Every other thing na formality!

sad

3 Likes

Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by greatgod2012(f): 7:38am On Jan 06, 2013
The date on d wedding certificate!

6 Likes

Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by TeenageMoney(m): 11:27am On Jan 06, 2013
Una dey ask mumu questions...

Na Shrine dey right pass

1 Like

Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by Afam4eva(m): 11:34am On Jan 06, 2013
kulyie: D church date is d exact date when couples should have their anniversary,its the conventional way
That it's the conventional way doesn't mean it's the right way.

@OP
It's left for you to decide.
Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by DaVinChiSam(m): 11:41am On Jan 06, 2013
the traditional date...
Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by koolet: 11:42am On Jan 06, 2013
Anywhere the ring was fixed on the couples finger
Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by Abyjah: 11:44am On Jan 06, 2013
After the initial Traditional rites, you can proceed to a strip-club for the rest...
Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by Nobody: 11:45am On Jan 06, 2013
Its the traditional wedding day,that's when the actually wedding took place,because the couple has receive the blessing of the family,others are just funfare.

With the traditional wedding,a man is allowed to take his wife,because he has performed his rite according to culture.

Before civilization,that's was how wedding was performed.

9 Likes

Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by Nobody: 11:46am On Jan 06, 2013
I had my Registry wedding on the 17th August.

Traditional on the 19th of August and Church on the 20th of August.

We adopted the 20th of August which was our Church wedding date as our anniversary.

The idea of doing Registry, Traditional and Church wedding is not a good one as it continues to be a drain pipe on the resources of a couple/man taking myself as an example.

6 Likes

Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by Clemzy16(m): 11:46am On Jan 06, 2013
All of una dey yan rubbish. The right date is when she tells you that you're responsible for her pregnancy. Shikena!!
Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by Nobody: 11:47am On Jan 06, 2013
greatgod2012: The date on d wedding certificate!
seconded.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by vanbonattel: 11:52am On Jan 06, 2013
Dr. Wise:
I had my Registry wedding on the 17th August.

Traditional on the 19th of August and Church on the 20th of August.

We adopted the 20th of August which was our Church wedding date as our anniversary.

The idea of doing Registry, Traditional and Church wedding is not a good one as it continues to be a drain pipe on the resources of a couple/man taking myself as an example.

The only important one is traditional marriage rites, others are borrowed cultures that will die as people become wiser.

9 Likes

Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by Afam4eva(m): 11:54am On Jan 06, 2013
van bonattel:

The only important one is traditional marriage rites, others are borrowed cultures that will die as people become wiser.
WORD

6 Likes

Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by guseman(m): 11:58am On Jan 06, 2013
My wedding anniversary is definately the date of my traditional marriage cos dats d day her parent gave me the permission to carry go officially.
Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by ojuikwu: 11:59am On Jan 06, 2013
YORUBA NA BEST IN TRIBE .ODUA GBE NIGERIA
Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jan 06, 2013
ojuikwu: YORUBA NA BEST IN TRIBE .ODUA GBE NIGERIA

Are you sane Where's the question to the answer you provided?

2 Likes

Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by obaf(m): 12:01pm On Jan 06, 2013
I think its traditional date for talk, but date on marraige certificate for official reason! Did my registry a year traditional,which makes it a little dicey to pick a date! I like the topic! But I usually use date on marraige certificate for official stuffs! Do my anniversary on traditional at home with family.
Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by Gabrielsylar(m): 12:10pm On Jan 06, 2013
add the three dates and divide by 3

4 Likes

Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by Profkomolafe(m): 12:11pm On Jan 06, 2013
wedding 4 shrine go mk sense wella. E.g okija shrine grin
Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by safarigirl(f): 12:14pm On Jan 06, 2013
Yomieluv: Its the traditional wedding day,that's when the actually wedding took place,because the couple has receive the blessing of the family,others are just funfare.

With the traditional wedding,a man is allowed to take his wife,because he has performed his rite according to culture.

Before civilization,that's was how wedding was performed.
agree 100%. There's no biggie in church wedding.

Some say that true Christians are those who marry in church in the presence of God, load of cr.ap.

Even in the Bible, it is said that when the parents of a couple bless the marriage, it is blessed by God by extension.

If you decide to elope with your spouse and do secret marriage be it in the church or registry, God no sabi that one.

That being said, your anniversary date should be the day of traditional...more than 50% of Nigerians don't even do church wedding, that one na extra money

1 Like

Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by Kins7778: 12:15pm On Jan 06, 2013
d only marriage jesus went in d bible was it a church wedding or traditional marriage,guy shine ur eye church wedding na formality
Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by honey001(m): 12:17pm On Jan 06, 2013
Thinking of posting something relating to dis before, but thank God one surface on the front page. To me i think it should be d date of the traditional wedding.

The question i intend to ask is dat must one do his or her wedding in church? Im planning to do my wedding soon and wish to just proceed to registry immediately after the traditional wedding. But when i told my friends, some of them were like saying why wont i do church wedding.

My question now is, is it compulsory to do wedding in church?
Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by vanbonattel: 12:22pm On Jan 06, 2013
safarigirl: agree 100%. There's no biggie in church wedding.

Some say that true Christians are those who marry in church in the presence of God, load of cr.ap.

Even in the Bible, it is said that when the parents of a couple bless the marriage, it is blessed by God by extension.

If you decide to elope with your spouse and do secret marriage be it in the church or registry, God no sabi that one.

That being said, your anniversary date should be the day of traditional...more than 50% of Nigerians don't even do church wedding, that one na extra money

Yes, church wedding na just 'keeping up with the jonesses' same couple will be poor as a result of pleasing friends by spending too much and the resultant poverty will lead to fights and disloyalty which will lead to hatred and resentment, which will lead to separation and divorce.
Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by sunnyt1(m): 12:23pm On Jan 06, 2013
Traditional, church and registry look lik repetition honestly, y not jst do one and u are married. Wen u consider these events u wil understand wat im sayin.
Wat do u do at the traditional wedding? Joing together.
Wat do u do at the registry? joning together
Wat do u do at d church wedding? They are still being joined together.
So y d repetition?
As for the question, i think the 1st event( joinin together ) shd be d most important since the oda 2 are repetition.
If u do jst one of these 3, will anyone take ur wife away frm u or will anyone nullify d marriage?

3 Likes

Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by thaira(f): 12:28pm On Jan 06, 2013
Definitely our Registry date. We did the introduction, then went to registry, had a traditional that was more of partying and did thanksgiving in church afterwards. Our parents gave their consent long before all these so they were for the world to know and its at registry that you get documents anyway.

3 Likes

Re: Traditional, Church Or Registry: The Right Date For Marriage Anniversary? by alfredo4u(m): 12:34pm On Jan 06, 2013
I blieve u r confuse now wit nland options, so @op which one do u chose now? Or u go ask ur pastor, lawyer, babalawo, king or garri groups?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If Your Spouse Cheated, How Would You Feel? / Horrible Video Of Half Man Half Tree,see Why Trees Grow On His Body-See video / In One Word Describe The Relationship With Your Dad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.