Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,207 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:45 PM

Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say (7113 Views)

FG Issues Security Alert, Says Boko Haram Plans Abductions For Ransom / Police Shouldn't Take Glory For Falae's Release, We Paid Ransom – Family Source / Court Orders Gov Lamido, 3 Others To Pay APC Candidate N30m In Damages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by homerac7: 5:18am On Jan 05, 2013
Hyundai paid Nigeria kidnap ransom, police say

An arrested gang leader told Nigerian authorities that South Korean firm Hyundai Heavy Industries paid a 30 million naira ($192,100) ransom to release six workers kidnapped in Nigeria's oil region last month, police said on Friday.

Gunmen kidnapped four South Korean and two Nigerian men at a Hyundai Heavy building on December 17, in southern oil-producing Bayelsa state. They were released five days later.

Hyundai Heavy Industries was not immediately available for comment.

Kidnapping is rife in Africa's top energy producer, making millions of dollars a year for criminal gangs, especially in the heart of the oil industry, in the swampy Niger Delta.

Bayelsa state police commissioner Kingsley Omire confirmed the ransom figure paid and said they had caught most of the suspected kidnappers. But the leader of the criminal gang had escaped after being arrested, he said.

"He told us that they received a ransom of 30 million naira and his own share was 3 million naira, which he used in buying electronic devices, DVD players etc", Omire said by telephone.

"Following his confession that he has some arms in his house, he was followed to his house, but his men opened fire on our men in the waterways ... during the gun battle he escaped."

It is unusual for authorities to admit a ransom has been paid because they say it encourages abductions.

The 83-year-old mother of Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was abducted on December 9 in Delta state but was freed five days later, a high profile target that showed few are safe from the clutches of kidnappers in Nigeria.

Three Italians and five Indians kidnapped during two separate pirate attacks last month off Nigeria are still missing..

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/04/us-nigeria-kidnap-idUSBRE9030KL20130104
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by cockyjay: 6:19am On Jan 05, 2013
That's simply because the NPF is not dependable
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by homerac7: 9:59am On Jan 05, 2013
its a shame what we have become as a people and a nation. more fearful is the fast erosion of concept of government and power here because of pecuniary political gains. if we continue like ds, in just some years to come, Somalians will look at us and thank their God.
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by Afam4eva(m): 10:01am On Jan 05, 2013
@nagoma
Any tribalistic comment will get you banned from this section. Be warned.

1 Like

Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by free2ryhme: 10:02am On Jan 05, 2013
and how does dis affect the rate of kidnapping in the south-south and south-east
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by free2ryhme: 10:04am On Jan 05, 2013
someone has taken upon himself to bcome police dog on NL ... #calabarpeoplearewatching

2 Likes

Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by cockyjay: 10:16am On Jan 05, 2013
free2ryhme: someone has taken upon himself to bcome police dog on NL ... #calabarpeoplearewatching
rotlfmao
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by MajeOfficial: 11:16am On Jan 05, 2013
If the nigerian police authority had sense it would stop reported the amount kidnappers are making as if they're trying to advertise the profitability of kidnapping.

When's the last time the earnings of a technology or medicine firm in Nigeria was reported?

1 Like

Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by lacasa: 11:18am On Jan 05, 2013
kiss

Nawa Oo.. i can spot a 'jjc' moderator in d house grin

1 Like

Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by Sleek05(f): 11:26am On Jan 05, 2013
Me 2! Hehehe
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by yemmyyy(m): 11:29am On Jan 05, 2013
If the money received by these kidnappers is invested in different economic activities within the country,then they are better than so many nigeria politician.
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by Nobody: 11:30am On Jan 05, 2013
Plz im new to nairaland..how do i comment on topics like dis?

1 Like

Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by free2ryhme: 11:34am On Jan 05, 2013
deejay_harry1: Plz im new to nairaland..how do i comment on topics like dis?

u just did
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by slimming: 11:34am On Jan 05, 2013
I hope this guy will stop this business of kidnapping and focus on economic activities.
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by Shaw007(m): 11:36am On Jan 05, 2013
lacasa: kiss

Nawa Oo.. i can spot a 'jjc' moderator in d house grin
Na so me sef see am oh!!!!embarassed

wud av preferred someone else tho,a neutraL!
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by free2ryhme: 11:37am On Jan 05, 2013
slimming: I hope this guy will stop this business of kidnapping and focus on economic activities.

ok talk to him ... i think he will listen.... grin grin grin grin
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by Bolt2011(m): 11:43am On Jan 05, 2013
3 million for electronic gadget Nawao!!! Dat kidnapper guy for just go do manual labour instead of wasting his talents
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by maninmood(m): 11:46am On Jan 05, 2013
I don't think there is anything wrong in disclosing the ransom collected from the kidnappers, as far as it does not contradict their(NPF) working ethics and there is no breach in confidentiality between the two parties( Hyundai vs NPF). Moreover, this could aid in research analysis which might stop this vendetta that is painting our country evil.

You are free to disprove or refute my hypothesis.
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by Nobody: 11:50am On Jan 05, 2013
We know they all pay ransom, the police don't admit pretending they do a good job.
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by Afolabs101: 11:51am On Jan 05, 2013
Bolt2011: 3 million for electronic gadget Nawao!!! Dat kidnapper guy for just go do manual labour instead of wasting his talents

Easy come easy go!

If he comes to Lagos for a weekend he can easily blow that N3m. Then it's on to the next job, no pension, no retirement plan. It's either death or prison cry
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by Afolabs101: 11:54am On Jan 05, 2013
@OP

It's ok for he police to state the ransom as they caught most of the kidnappers. When a bank is robbed or a fraud is committed, the police/efcc state the amount that was stolen, even if it may serve as encouragement to some criminally minded people.
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by aglomar: 12:01pm On Jan 05, 2013
Thank jah they were nabbed.
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by victorD3: 12:15pm On Jan 05, 2013
Does nabbing them change the fast that Afam wants to play Abacha?
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by UNLEASHED(m): 12:17pm On Jan 05, 2013
I'm new on this forum, please how do I get banned? cheesy
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by yyb14: 12:31pm On Jan 05, 2013
afam4eva: @nagoma
and why are u warning only him?
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by pat077: 12:33pm On Jan 05, 2013
afam4eva: @nagoma
u don become MOD abi?
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by texazzpete(m): 1:01pm On Jan 05, 2013
Can anyone tell me why the frag the Nigerian police are announcing the ransom money paid? Don't these ,morons know that these sums will only serve to lure more people into the kidnapping game?
Idiots!
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by Omen100(m): 1:04pm On Jan 05, 2013
aglomar: Thank jah they were nabbed.

Didn't u read the part were the police claimed that the suspect trick them & escape from their custody.

Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by dejijohns(m): 1:37pm On Jan 05, 2013
free2ryhme:

u just did
U get tym oo, dix kyd of qustns no dey get ANS...
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by dejijohns(m): 1:57pm On Jan 05, 2013
UNLEASHED: I'm new on this forum, please how do I get banned? cheesy

It is quiet simple, all u need 2do is derail a thread, insult OP, Moderator or fellow NLander. U can as well post indecent pix in an inappropriate thread. Wit al dix simple act, u'l b award'd wit a BAN....
Re: Hyundai Paid N30M Kidnap Ransom, Police Say by Urine: 2:33pm On Jan 05, 2013
deejay_harry1: Plz im new to nairaland..how do i comment on topics like dis?

This is the new craze on nairaland abi? The era of 1st to comment don dey go.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meet President Buhari's Personal Photographer, Bayo Omoboriowo / List Of 57 Lgs, Lcdas Sole Administrators Swore In By Governor Ambode / Top 5 Most Handsome Governors In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.