Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,650 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:30 PM

Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State (27294 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi And Wuraola At Olokun Festival (Photos) / Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor / Olokun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Nobody: 7:04am On Jan 06, 2013
[img]http://4.bp..com/-FJSNYBcQOBc/T6UAFTiaPPI/AAAAAAAABPg/dKDSXoGtWPQ/s640/Ori-Olokun.jpg[/img]
Yoruba Culture Symbol, Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State
Osun state Governor Rauf Aregbesola on Saturday in Ile-Ifeunveiled an Ife ancestral monument, popularly called Ori-olokun, as part of activities marking the inauguration of Ori-olokun Garden .

The governor performed the unveiling of the huge Ori-Olokun sculpture at the Ori-Olokun Roundabout, formerly Mayfair Roundabout in Ile-Ife.
He described the monument as a precious heritage of the Yoruba race, and urged the people to protect and preserve it.

Mr Taiwo Olaiya, the Executive Secretary, Ife Central Local Government, under whose jurisdiction the garden is situated,also described the monument as the most famous in history.

According to him, Ori-Olokun monument was discovered in the early 20th century by German explorer Leo Frobenius. “Frobenius could not imagine that such works were of African origin and came up with the theory that this great art was evidence of the lost Atlantis of the Greeks. “He further declaredthat the Yoruba deity, Olokun, was the same god as the Greek Poseidon. “The monument was further identified as a modern sand casting of a brass, which comprises copper and zinc.

“The name, Olokun, attached to this head refers to the fact that it was dug up in the late 19th century in the Olokun Grove and used in annual rites to honour Olokun ,’’ he said.

An Ife priest, Chief Faloba Fagbenro, described Olokun as the goddess of the sea and patronage of bead making, which makes glass bead working an important industry in Ile-Ife .

He recalled that the head of Olokun (Ori Olokun) remained in the hands of the family responsible for the Olokun cult until Oni brought it to the palace for safekeeping in 1934.

The the terra-cotta head of Olokun has been replicated in strategic places of the world, including Latin America, and Europe. The image always brings back to memory the civilisation in the areas of art and technology that took place in Nigeria and Africa before the British invasion.

Sen. Jide Omoworare, the senator representing Ife-Ijesa Senatorial District, was among the dignitaries that attended the occasion.

Source: PM NEWS.

4 Likes

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Akshow: 7:15am On Jan 06, 2013
proudly yoruba. I think Its refreshing that our cultural monuments and heritage and deities are been preserved. We had a life, culture, tradition and government before the coming of Christianity and Islam. Let uphold our heritage. Way to go governor

7 Likes

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by PaulJohn1: 7:55am On Jan 06, 2013
Interesting....

Osun A dara cool

State of the Living Spring
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by cockyjay: 8:11am On Jan 06, 2013
Proudly yoruba

2 Likes

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Nobody: 8:15am On Jan 06, 2013
Welldone Aregbesola....The governor that believes in the unity of the Yoruba and always ready to uplift our culture and tradition.

4 Likes

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Tolexander: 10:20am On Jan 06, 2013
ori olokun ko, epon olosa ni!
What is the essence of the ori olokun image beautification done within a mayfair roundabout which has the roads leading to it with potholes and no drainage system from lagere?
Just like a lady rubbing powder and adding cosmetics without taking her bath.
Not as if i dont support it anyway, it is a welcoming idea cos it portrays the cultural monuments of our ancestors and heritage, but i think it should be erected in a very befitting place or they should find a place to make the road smooth and drained.
Ewà ni o n gbé ewà yo(beauty, not ugliness beautifies beauty)

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Tlake(m): 10:29am On Jan 06, 2013
Tinkin of leaving my medicine n go 4 ifa study,u ll b happy having 2 knw dis stuffs were made by our ancestors, dere r intelligent

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Nobody: 10:46am On Jan 06, 2013
I was there yesterday. Men, the crowd was huge.

The carving at the round about is so beautiful.

Quite a sight to behold.

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by LagosBoi2(m): 11:02am On Jan 06, 2013
I am proud to be a Yoruba Man.

Olodumare be with you Ogbeni Aregbe.

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by awhydot: 11:07am On Jan 06, 2013
all bullshit. the road leading there is so bad. dy only succeded in blocking d roads ystday, with traffic jam all around d town. wonder if ife's problem is one ancient head (the head is fine sha). not saying it isnt good, but it is a secondary thing.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by OmichaelO: 11:09am On Jan 06, 2013
Tlake: Tinkin of leaving my medicine n go 4 ifa study,u ll b happy having 2 knw dis stuffs were made by our ancestors, dere r intelligent
Goodluck with that Taofeek!! tongue

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by kingron: 11:13am On Jan 06, 2013
well i would still call dat place mayfair round about than dat stupid god dey cast dere all for d sake of making dier pockets fatter!!mayfair sounds tusher self!
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by elopee3000(m): 11:21am On Jan 06, 2013
where was ori olokun when usman danfodio attack with horses everything about yoruba is weak thier gods re weak the people self dey weak like oladipo diya
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by victorD3: 11:25am On Jan 06, 2013
elopee3000: where was ori olokun when usman danfodio attack with horses everything about yoruba is weak thier gods re weak the people self dey weak like oladipo diya

Tell me more.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by PeterKbaba: 11:43am On Jan 06, 2013
Land Of Yoruba Deities (Africa's True Religion)!!!

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by garri4all: 12:08pm On Jan 06, 2013
I think some of the gods you named here do not exist in Yoruba e.g oxosi, ozain, ochumare (did you mean eledumare or what)
To start with, x and z are not part of the yoruba alphabets.
Secondly, in Yoruba there is nothing like 'ch'
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jan 06, 2013
@ elopee, you should also ask the israelites where was God when the Romans and Hitler invaded them besides, usman dan fodio and his warriors was able to get to Oyo only because the then Aare Ona Kakanfo who was based in Ilorin betrayed his masters and even then the muslim warriors were effectively resisted and pursued back to River Niger by the joint Yoruba warriors who were stationed at Ibadan.Pls note that except for the British invation, there is no time in history when the Yoruba race was totally vanguished in any war...yes they may suffer great loses as in the case with the fulanis...there was no victor in that war because before it could be concluded, the British came and stopped the war.

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by PeterKbaba: 12:15pm On Jan 06, 2013
garri4all: I think some of the gods you named here do not exist in Yoruba e.g oxosi, ozain, ochumare (did you mean eledumare or what)

Yes you are right, this was designed by Cuban in the United States, you know Yoruba Religion is the 6th religion in the world now (Interms of numbers, over 300 Million worshipers), and it is been practiced all over Africa, Haiti, Jamaica, Dominica, US, Cuba, Venezuela, Brazil, Peurto-rico, Europe, Japan etc.

So the translation sometimes change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEGe5zHe0mc
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jan 06, 2013
@ eloopee...Pls note that the Fulani jihadist war with the Yorubas ws nt a conclusive one...the British interveined. There ws no time in history when the Yorubas lost in any war with outsiders except for the British invation. The fulanis were able to get to Oyo because the Aare Ona Kakanfo(Generalisimo of Yoruba land) betrayed his masters but then the Fulanis were resisted and pushed back to Ilorin when they got to Oyo by the other Yoruba warriors who were then stationed at Ibadan.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by PeterKbaba: 12:26pm On Jan 06, 2013
netsurf: @ eloopee...Pls note that the Fulani jihadist war with the Yorubas ws nt a conclusive one...the British interveined. There ws no time in history when the Yorubas lost in any war with outsiders except for the British invation. The fulanis were able to get to Oyo because the Aare Ona Kakanfo(Generalisimo of Yoruba land) betrayed his masters but then the Fulanis were resisted and pushed back to Ilorin when they got to Oyo by the other Yoruba warriors who were then stationed at Ibadan.

Even this British did not invade us, we negotiated their been in Yoruba-land, that is why the British were mostly based in Lagos
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by abdulg: 12:36pm On Jan 06, 2013
The problem we do have is missing Culture with Religion. Note Aregbe is Promoting Yoruba culture and not Yoruba Reliogion.

3 Likes

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by dangerzone: 12:45pm On Jan 06, 2013
na all the orishas get six pack mehn

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by lekkie073(m): 12:48pm On Jan 06, 2013
elopee3000: where was ori olokun when usman danfodio attack with horses everything about yoruba is weak thier gods re weak the people self dey weak like oladipo diya
where was osama bin laden's allah when the american seals came in? leave everyone with their own gods, sango ooooooo,who said the king hanged? sango merely disappeared and reappeared to govern the skies where he reigns with full command. whenever sango is angry, the thunder warns our world. obakoso, husband of oya. let me not feel the fury of ur power
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by lakemoyoh: 12:49pm On Jan 06, 2013
Paul John: Interesting....

Osun A dara cool

State of the Living Spring
Ipinle omoluabi 4 nw

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by PeterKbaba: 12:50pm On Jan 06, 2013
abdulg: The problem we do have is missing Culture with Religion. Note Aregbe is Promoting Yoruba culture and not Yoruba Reliogion.

My brother, culture is what turns to religion

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by lekkie073(m): 12:57pm On Jan 06, 2013
garri4all: I think some of the gods you named here do not exist in Yoruba e.g oxosi, ozain, ochumare (did you mean eledumare or what)
in yoruba alphabeth, there is 'sh'. shutuppu grin
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by alnetizen: 1:01pm On Jan 06, 2013
What about this yoruba ancestral tribal marks

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by lekkie073(m): 1:08pm On Jan 06, 2013
alnetizen: What about this yoruba ancestral tribal marks
i reject it in jesus name grin . this is not my kinsman grin
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by PeterKbaba: 1:10pm On Jan 06, 2013
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Tolexander: 1:12pm On Jan 06, 2013
lekkie073:
in yoruba alphabeth, there is 'sh'. shutuppu grin
no!
It isn't shutuppu but sotoopu!
Yoruba alphabet doesn't have sh and two consonants don't follow each other.

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jan 06, 2013
WHAT Indeed we have serious problems in Nigeria. I can't imagine how you all would hail something people in ILE - IFE considered a failure. I was there yesterday and was held in traffic for over 2 hours for a 5 mins drive when the Governor and all ACN members across the state stormed town like bees. This is a head that the politicians spent N50M on and it adds no real value to the people. Mind you I am bread and butter of ILE IFE and I keep regretting voting Aregbesola everyday .. this is a Governor who spent N150M on explosives(banger) during the yuletide. Now I can see the problem with Nigeria is not PDP, ACN or LP, it is the masses. Shame on you all .... A governor who hasn't commissioned a completed road project in 2 years came to a round-about block the town and disturbed our peace, yet you all think he deserves some praise

My prayer is that real change comes soon .. not the crazy change GEJ, ACN and others are giving us .. It's still the same template just change of government. Please Rise fellow Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by lekkie073(m): 1:18pm On Jan 06, 2013
Tolexander: no!
It isn't shutuppu but sotoopu!
Yoruba alphabet doesn't have sh and two consonants don't follow each other.
ah bi di e eh fi gi gbi he ii ji ki li mi ni o or kpi ri si shi ti u we ye.....shutupu grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal / African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) / Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.