Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,221 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher (12177 Views)

10 Signs Of A Prosperity Gospel That Actually Makes You Poor / Prosperity Preacher / Difference Btw A Business Man & A Prosperity "pastor" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Nobody: 8:19am On Jan 08, 2013
A prosperity preacher is one who claims to be a Christian, but whose teaching focuses on man’s happiness and prosperity in this life. He is a humanist. It’s amazing… the only time in scripture where Jesus got furious was when men used God’s temple to make money (Luke 19:45-46). These were money-grubbers setting up shop in the Lord’s house of prayer. It happened in Jesus’ day and it’s happening in our day. This is exactly what hundreds and thousands of prosperity preachers are doing today.

These men and women that stand up in their golden pulpits in designer clothing begging for money and making promises of healing and monetary return in the name of Christ should cause a holy anger in God’s children!

lets take a look at things that prosperity preachers tend to do and preach.

»They preach and live exactly the opposite of the way that Jesus preached and lived. If you are in a church where the preacher is guilty of any or at least a few of the following, RUN away from that church… you’ve found yourself in the midst of the prosperity gospel.

» Prosperity preachers tend to live lavish lifestyles with fancy cars, large houses, expensive clothes. Jesus did not do this.

» Prosperity preachers constantly attempt to make their hearers feel good. This is because they care about the number of people in their churches, not the spiritual maturity of the congregation. Jesus did not do this. A prosperity preacher keeps everybody in one group... even an atheist can listen to the prosperity gospel and feel good. They wish to unite the world no matter who believes what. Their focus is peace and happiness instead of God's honor.

» Prosperity preachers sometimes promise blessing if you give to their ministry (emphasizing the word “ their”). Try to find one instance in scripture where our Lord asked for money. You cannot do it! Jesus never asked for money… not even one time.

» You will hear them teach people to pray for and pursue prosperity but will not once hear them teach people the value of being content.

» They believe in the love of God, but not the fear of God. Prosperity preachers rarely preach against sin. This is because they are concerned less about the soul than they are the body. They are concerned about this life more than they are eternity. Jesus preached against sin harder than anybody I’ve ever heard. When a man tells you to rather cut out your eye than sin, you can be sure that He’s serious about it (Matt 18:9). Listen very carefully and take note of how often a.pastor talks about sin and speaks against it. This will tell you much about his own walk with the Lord.

They say that it is God’s will for you to be prosperous (materially). Jesus said that the rich will enter the kingdom with more difficulty than a camel going through the eye of a needle! Yes, riches are dangerous for the immature believers who cannot handle the temptation… and you will not hear a prosperity preacher say this.

» They very rarely use the phrases "eternity," "sin", and "Hell"... but very often use the phrases "your life", "your blessing". Jesus did not do this - He talked both of Heaven and Hell. He talked of sin and salvation.

» They say that faith will get you anything that you pray for (in other words, anything that you want - this is also known as the "Word of faith movement" ). Jesus prayed to the Father, “not my will but yours be done ” Word of faith preachers focus on man’s desire. Jesus focused on God’s desire.

» They emphasize what YOU want. Jesus always emphasized what His Father wanted.

It's no sin to have money. It's no sin to take leisure time. It's no sin to be happy. But make no mistake... the Judas Iscariots of the world that cling on to their moneybags and attempt to walk with Jesus at the same time will eventually find themselves selling their Lord for silver. Flee from prosperity preachers. Flee from a false gospel that puts the focus on what you can get from God in this life rather than what you can give to God (Holiness & Righteousness)

Remember that the entire reason for mans existence is not to get happy... it's to glorify, serve, and love the Lord. The rest is added to us. "Does the Lord intend to make man happy? Sure. . but it's a byproduct, not a prime product."

www.heprayed.com/practicaldevotions/41

30 Likes

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Ishilove: 9:13am On Jan 08, 2013
First to comment. Yipee! cheesy

I used to attend one of these churches. The G.O is a popular tele-evangelist who focuses on prosperity. I attended the church for about a year and moved out. Even my pops who isn't a church person was forced to complain about the monotony of the messages week in, week out. Money, riches, wealth!!

7 Likes

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Enegod(m): 9:15am On Jan 08, 2013
Well said...he that has ears let him listen!

4 Likes

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Ishilove: 9:22am On Jan 08, 2013
Enegod: Well said...he that has hears let him listen!
*ears.

Thank me later cool

1 Like

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Enegod(m): 9:30am On Jan 08, 2013
Ishilove:
*ears.

Thank me later cool
#blush#
Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Nobody: 9:34am On Jan 08, 2013
Ishilove: First to comment. Yipee! cheesy

I used to attend one of these churches. The G.O is a popular tele-evangelist who focuses on prosperity. I attended the church for about a year and moved out. Even my pops who isn't a church person was forced to complain about the monotony of the message week in, week out. Money, riches, wealth!!

hmmm...am glad you moved out, Ishilove.. smiley and I guess you've found a better place

1 Like

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Nobody: 9:39am On Jan 08, 2013
Ishilove:
*ears.

Thank me later cool
Thanks grin
Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by nairalady(f): 10:42am On Jan 08, 2013
true grin

1 Like

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by DJDOLA(m): 10:43am On Jan 08, 2013
Yeaah that's my pastor revrend king..its a pity sha my pastor they real world now were boys are not smiling

1 Like

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by moneyhungry(m): 10:46am On Jan 08, 2013
if his always smiling throughout the offering.

1 Like

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Nobody: 10:47am On Jan 08, 2013
YOU CANT PUT ALL THE BLAME ON THE PROSPERITY PREACHER. EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THAT PROSPERITY CHURCH IS A THIEF. LISTEN, IF A PREACHER IS NOT A PROSPERITY PREACHER AND HE HAS NO MONEY BUT IS SINCERE AND HE WEARS TATTERED CLOTHES AND RIDES A BICYCLE, GUESS WHAT ? NONE OF THESE NIMRODS WILL ATTEND HIS CHURCH. THESE PEOPLE, THE CHURCH ATTENDANTS AND THE PREACHERS ARE ALL THIEVES. SO I DONT THINK THIS TOPIC DETERS ANYONE. YOU CANT STOP A THIEF FROM GOING INTO THE CHURCH OF THE KING OF THIEVES. LIKE ATTRACTS LIKE

11 Likes

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by olumaxi(m): 10:51am On Jan 08, 2013
Money answereth al things
Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by YuzedoII: 10:51am On Jan 08, 2013
@ OP: Are you calling Chris Oyakhilome, Matthew Ashimolowo, Sign Fireman, Ayo Oritsejafor, David Oyedepo, David Ogbueli, Enoch Adeboye, etc "a prosperity preachers"?! shocked

Mind yasef nigga! angry

4 Likes

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by kelsonpoint(m): 10:51am On Jan 08, 2013
he that has ears let him hear what the spirit is saying to the churches.rapture is round the Conner

1 Like

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by bigfat: 10:51am On Jan 08, 2013
I THINK IT IS HIGH TIME WE ALL SaT DOWN AT HOME SINCE ALL OUR Pastors ARE EVIL AND MONEY MAKING CASH MACHINE...WE CAN HAVE A MINI SERVICE WITH OUR Families AT HOME and for all of you that have FULL AIR-CONDITIONED APARTMENT... GOOD FOR YOU .NOW SINCE OUR PASTOR ARE LIVING A LAVISH LIFE WE NEED TO BACK OUT ...AND WE FORGET AND DON'T WANT want to talk about money in the house of GOD but how THEY SO CALLED OUR PASTORS maintain a whole church from nepa bills ,to church rent ,church maintenance speakers ,mic ,E.TC do you think they cost N1 naira NI THE MARKET ? WE HAVE TO PRAY FOR God TO fall DOWN from heaven and throw money FROM ABOVE INTO THIS OUR PASTORS ACCOUNT SO THAT THEY CAN DO THEIR LAVISH PREACHING JOBS . PASTOR CHIS OYAKILOME PERMS HIS HAIR AND he look damn GOOD BETTER THAN OBASANJO AND I GUESS PERMING IS NOT GOOD BUT HE IS IMPACTING LIFE AND STILL WINNING SOUL FOR THE LORD ..I GUESS THAT IS TOO bad ..abi

4 Likes

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 08, 2013
obadiah777: YOU CANT PUT ALL THE BLAME ON THE PROSPERITY PREACHER. EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THAT PROSPERITY CHURCH IS A THIEF. LISTEN, IF A PREACHER IS NOT A PROSPERITY PREACHER AND HE HAS NO MONEY BUT IS SINCERE AND HE WEARS TATTERED CLOTHES AND RIDES A BICYCLE, GUESS WHAT ? NONE OF THESE NIMRODS WILL ATTEND HIS CHURCH. THESE PEOPLE, THE CHURCH ATTENDANTS AND THE PREACHERS ARE ALL THIEVES. SO I DONT THINK THIS TOPIC DETERS ANYONE. YOU CANT STOP A THIEF FROM GOING INTO THE CHURCH OF THE KING OF THIEVES. LIKE ATTRACTS LIKE

I won't call people who attend these churches thieves , they are just greedy , and even at that not all are guilty.

However I agree that these pastors are only able to prosper due to the large number of greedy people who are not looking for Jesus but for bread and fish.

"Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill." - John 6:26

3 Likes

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Sunnycliff(m): 10:53am On Jan 08, 2013
I remain the happiest man to read this post. How I wish we could place our priorities right than seeking for shadows at the expense of the subtance- our SOULS.
This is the best post i have come across in NL dis year

7 Likes

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by bedane: 10:54am On Jan 08, 2013
A timely piece . Truth cannot be buried.
Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Nobody: 10:54am On Jan 08, 2013
frosbel:

I won't call people who attend these churches thieves , they are just greedy , and even at that not all are guilty.

However I agree that these pastors are only able to prosper due to the large number of greedy people who are not looking for Jesus but for bread and fish.

"Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill." - John 6:26
'GREED' IS THE COUSIN OF 'THIEF' grin grin

4 Likes

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Nobody: 10:54am On Jan 08, 2013
YuzedoII: @ OP: Are you calling Chris Oyakhilome, Matthew Ashimolowo, Sign Fireman, Ayo Oritsejafor, David Oyedepo, David Ogbueli, Enoch Adeboye, etc "a prosperity preachers"?! shocked

Mind yasef nigga! angry
you did,not the OP!

1 Like

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by iamswizz(m): 10:55am On Jan 08, 2013
/
Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by shos: 10:56am On Jan 08, 2013
Well said, who have ear let him hear wat d spirit is saying.
Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by misreal(m): 11:00am On Jan 08, 2013
YuzedoII: @ OP: Are you calling Chris Oyakhilome, Matthew Ashimolowo, Sign Fireman, Ayo Oritsejafor, David Oyedepo, David Ogbueli, Enoch Adeboye, etc "a prosperity preachers"?! shocked

Mind yasef nigga! angry
jesus david ogbueli is neva goin to be a prosperity preacher.listen to his mssages nd u will undastand wat spiritual growth means.my man dnt mind dat op guy jorh.

1 Like

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Bella3(f): 11:03am On Jan 08, 2013
Op.. Why are you exposing our 'daddies'? Shei you dont want them to buy private jets ni? Even if they ignore the poor shei they are nt doing the work of their god ne?

1 Like

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Nobody: 11:06am On Jan 08, 2013
obadiah777: 'GREED' IS THE COUSIN OF 'THIEF' grin grin

oh yes , they are both related.

A greedy man/woman will easily succumb to the temptation to steal grin

1 Like

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Techwriter: 11:07am On Jan 08, 2013
Anyone who calls Pst David Ogbueli a prosperity preacher either has not listened to him or does not understand the balance of the Gospel. Prosperity is part of the Gospel like the OP rightly pointed out it becomes a problem when it becomes the Focus instead of a fringe benefit.

[size=18pt]Heresy is over-emphasizing one truth at the expense of another truth [/size]

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Nobody: 11:08am On Jan 08, 2013
Prosperity preachers are many,cos they preach what he people want to hear,you can blame the pastors. They are only following the rules of the game.some even use tithe as tool for blackmiling their members.

Imagine a pastor dancing at the altar,and worshipers are busy spraying money on hiM,is that a church,or beer parlour.

4 Likes

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by cytellProperty: 11:08am On Jan 08, 2013
bigfat: I THINK IT IS HIGH TIME WE ALL SaT DOWN AT HOME SINCE ALL OUR Pastors ARE EVIL AND MONEY MAKING CASH MACHINE...WE CAN HAVE A MINI SERVICE WITH OUR Families AT HOME and for all of you that have FULL AIR-CONDITIONED APARTMENT... GOOD FOR YOU .NOW SINCE OUR PASTOR ARE LIVING A LAVISH LIFE WE NEED TO BACK OUT ...AND WE FORGET AND DON'T WANT want to talk about money in the house of GOD but how THEY SO CALLED OUR PASTORS maintain a whole church from nepa bills ,to church rent ,church maintenance speakers ,mic ,E.TC do you think they cost N1 naira NI THE MARKET ? WE HAVE TO PRAY FOR God TO fall DOWN from heaven and throw money FROM ABOVE INTO THIS OUR PASTORS ACCOUNT SO THAT THEY CAN DO THEIR LAVISH PREACHING JOBS . PASTOR CHIS OYAKILOME PERMS HIS HAIR AND he look damn GOOD BETTER THAN OBASANJO AND I GUESS PERMING IS NOT GOOD BUT HE IS IMPACTING LIFE AND STILL WINNING SOUL FOR THE LORD ..I GUESS THAT IS TOO bad ..abi
Are you God?
Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Okijajuju1(m): 11:11am On Jan 08, 2013
Here is how............................

They do things that makes God look like a lunatic deranged child.

3 Likes

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Nobody: 11:12am On Jan 08, 2013
Okija_juju: Here is how............................

They do things that makes God look like a lunatic deranged child.

grow up !!

They make themselves , not GOD look like a crazy child.

God is far removed from all this nonsense.

Pagan you grin

3 Likes

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by Nobody: 11:15am On Jan 08, 2013
I attended a branch of the RCCG in the UK, where poverty was seen almost as a curse if not SIN.

Let us go back to the chief shepherd and learn through the holy spirit , of the correct pathway to life.

"For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls." - 1 Peter 2:25

1 Like

Re: How To Tell A Prosperity Preacher by 9jauk: 11:16am On Jan 08, 2013
Amazing mindset for an average Nigerian,brilliant summation majority of brethrens have been Brian washed,book of Revelation made mention of loads of Signs of End-time,may the good lord forgive us all in Jesus name.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Can We Learn From The Life Of Samson? / Anglican Bishop Drags 3 Priests To Court / Pastors And Thier Role In This Recession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.