Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? (4834 Views)

My Marriage Is Crashing, I Think I Hate Him...Help / At What Stage Should A Woman Get Tired Of Taking Such Responsibilities? / My 2 Months Old Marriage Is Crashing - HELP ME (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by OCTAVO: 2:42pm On Jan 09, 2013
Pls I need experienced folks to throw light on this issue.
Considering the fact that property acquisition is always on the increase, when is the appropriate time for one to prepare a will for one‘s children?
Thanks.
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by demolog(m): 2:47pm On Jan 09, 2013
When all your kids turn teenagers.

1 Like

Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by Gambrosia: 2:59pm On Jan 09, 2013
As soon as you MARRY A NIGERIAN MAN! grin

1 Like

Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by Odunnu: 3:11pm On Jan 09, 2013
hahahaha@ Gambrosia. You hate our men so badly? cheesy cheesy
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by Odunnu: 3:11pm On Jan 09, 2013
omg!! This is Callotti? i gerrit now. cool
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by Gambrosia: 3:12pm On Jan 09, 2013
Odunnu: hahahaha@ Gambrosia. You hate our men so badly? cheesy cheesy

Oh noooooooooooooo. . . I don't hate them at all. . . I just love to be 10 steps ahead. cool

Odunnu: omg!! This is Callotti? i gerrit now. cool

Very good! I am glad you h-understan'! kiss
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by aadetoyin(f): 9:00pm On Jan 09, 2013
funny enough this has never crossed my mind. i feel it depends on your kind of family and the kind of family that your spouse comes from. if they are the type that will come racing for their brother's property then one should start preparing a will immediately you start acquring assets and you can keep amending the will when your assets increase. if not, just wait till your children are teenagers and let them know about every property that you own because no one is to be trusted.

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by Nobody: 1:39am On Jan 10, 2013
Write your will once you start acquiring your properties and keep amending as the years progresses.You can't tell when u ll breathe ur last,can you?

3 Likes

Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by greatgod2012(f): 2:59am On Jan 10, 2013
aadetoyin: funny enough this has never crossed my mind. i feel it depends on your kind of family and the kind of family that your spouse comes from. if they are the type that will come racing for their brother's property then one should start preparing a will immediately you start acquring assets and you can keep amending the will when your assets increase. if not, just wait till your children are teenagers and let them know about every property that you own because no one is to be trusted.

grin grin grin grin

just my thought!
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by djeezy(m): 5:42am On Jan 10, 2013
OCTAVO: Pls I need experienced folks to throw light on this issue.
Considering the fact that property acquisition is always on the increase, when is the appropriate time for one to prepare a will for one‘s children?
Thanks.
The apt time is when you've acquired much wealth and your children have grown enough to understand what a "will" is. But it's also pertinent to write at any stage you deem fit. Dying intestate can create a lot of problems. Who else have noticed that poor men do not write "wills"?lol
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by aloyzin: 9:13am On Jan 10, 2013
When you start having bad dreams
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by shagaman: 9:15am On Jan 10, 2013
aadetoyin: funny enough this has never crossed my mind. i feel it depends on your kind of family and the kind of family that your spouse comes from. if they are the type that will come racing for their brother's property then one should start preparing a will immediately you start acquring assets and you can keep amending the will when your assets increase. if not, just wait till your children are teenagers and let them know about every property that you own because no one is to be trusted.

In as much as this advice is good,Life can never be predicted,no one knows when he/she would cross to the other side ,its better to start writing and amending immediately you acquire more properties.
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by YuzedoII: 9:17am On Jan 10, 2013
When your wife deny you punny, let her just write her death warrant! angry

Oh! We are talking about wills here.... sad
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by victorD3: 9:18am On Jan 10, 2013
Immediately you tell the wrong and pretending woman "I do".
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by freecocoa(f): 9:18am On Jan 10, 2013
A Will can be amended so write your will whenever you feel like it and make necessary amendments as desired.
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by dridowu: 9:22am On Jan 10, 2013
Fron d 1st day in marriage
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by aglomar: 9:26am On Jan 10, 2013
dridowu: Fron d 1st day in marriage
Because death gives no alert. You can amend it as d babies come and\or as d properties increase.

1 Like

Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by victorD3: 9:30am On Jan 10, 2013
Gambrosia:

Oh noooooooooooooo. . . I don't hate them at all. . . I just love to be 10 steps ahead. cool

You can't be 1 step ahead of your shadow not to talk of 10. We hunt you till death do you apart cheesy
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by Apesin001: 9:30am On Jan 10, 2013
As soon as you stop child bearing.
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by allout: 9:42am On Jan 10, 2013
As soon as you have something worthwhile to leave behind. You can always update it if something significant comes up e.g getting married, having kids.

1 Like

Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:46am On Jan 10, 2013
As you have something 'willable'. Ok, my english may wunjure you. I mean, Immediately you acquire things that you can will.
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by paparazzi1987(m): 9:59am On Jan 10, 2013
IS WRITING WILL ALSO APPLICABLE TO POOR MAN? undecided undecided
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by Reference(m): 10:08am On Jan 10, 2013
No hard and fast rule here because the activation code 'death' is non negotiable. Thus it will vary with the individual.

However I will suggest a will is made when the trajectory of a persons life is at the highest point attainable so that the will in itself doesn't constitute a clog in the wheel of progress.

Its like a bank account. The super rich and super poor don't need it just the aspiring and retiring.

1 Like

Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by honeric01(m): 10:13am On Jan 10, 2013
As soon as you're married, your wife is also to be considered.

You must make it known that your wife must not be made to go through any emotional, traditional or fetish rubbish they perform after your death (in case you're from the part of the country that does stuffs like this).

But you must not let your wife know about this part of the will o until it happens.

Also will against any member of your family taking over her as a "property".
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by bigfat: 10:40am On Jan 10, 2013
60 SHOULD BE GOOD

Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by ogb5(m): 10:59am On Jan 10, 2013
Gambrosia:

Callotti why the change in name to Bambrosia, did they ban u grin
am sure you deserve it with all those your post that can give some men heart attack.

@topic.
write your will a soon as possibe, even if you don't have much property, at least it gives you the opportunity of stating your position when you are no longer there.
In you will you can even just state how and where you want to be buried and how you want your assets and family treated.
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by Nobody: 11:12am On Jan 10, 2013
From beginnning to end it should be amended. Circumstances change unfortunately cry
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by YoungUd(f): 11:49am On Jan 10, 2013
[quote author=demolog]When all your kids turn teenagers.[/what if the parents dies be4 that stag?]
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by walcolm(m): 12:13pm On Jan 10, 2013
OCTAVO: Pls I need experienced folks to throw light on this issue.
Thanks.

@OP,

a will is more than just something you write because of property.

i have seen many people here thinking its done if you have something 'willable' but everybody, no matter how poor/young can and should write a will.

as mentioned by a few people, a will is actually a statement of what your wishes are when you die. it can include what you want done with your belongings but can also include intangible things
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by free2ryhme: 12:23pm On Jan 10, 2013
do u write a will when u dont have properties/assets. wetin concern person wey no get properties/assets with will
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by nagoma(m): 12:41pm On Jan 10, 2013
By that act of marriage, you have written your will.
Re: At What Stage Of Marriage Is It Advisable To Prepare A Will? by justice19: 1:05pm On Jan 10, 2013
Anytime is appropriate. Whether you are married or not as long as you have assets to distribute. Although a deceased will not be present to witness it, there is nothing as bad as your hard-earned assets falling into the hands enemies. A will enables you to ensure your wishes are followed after here. You need a good and trustworthy solicitor though. I know some experts on wills.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Every Single Man Is A Sick Paedophile??? / 5 Reasons To Re-think If Marrying A God-fearing Man Is Really For You! / My Baby Eats Too Much.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.