Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns (5156 Views)

Accidental Discharge: IGP To Introduce Use Of Stun Guns / Pictures Of Guns And Rifles Allegedly Recovered By DSS From Dasuki. / Are Stun Guns Legal In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by movmentish(m): 5:15pm On Jan 09, 2013
First I'm not saying the police shouldn't use guns at all but rather there should be a special team like swat that should handle guns while the other regular police officers should be restricted to the use of stun-guns albeit with strict regulations.

What is a stun-gun A stun-gun is an incapacitant weapon used for incapacitating a person by administering electric shock aimed at disrupting superficial muscle functions. One type is a conductive energy device (CED) fires projectiles that administer the shock through a thin, flexible wire. A shockround is a piezo-electric tip for a projectile that generates and releases electric charge on impact.

Electroshock weapon technology uses a temporary high-voltage low-current electrical discharge to override the body's muscle-triggering mechanisms. The recipient feels pain, and can be momentarily paralyzed while an electric current is being applied. High voltages are used, but because most devices use a non-lethal current, death does not usually occur. The resulting "shock" is caused by muscles twitching uncontrollably, appearing as muscle spasms.

The output voltages without external "load" (which would be the target's body) are claimed to be in the range of 50 kV up to 6800 kV, with the most common being in the 200 to 300 kV range. The output current upon contact with the target will depend on various factors such as target's resistance, skin type, moisture, bodily salinity, clothing, the electroshock weapon's internal circuitry, discharge waveform, and battery conditions.

Now my point will you prefer being accidentally tased by our normally trigger happy police officers and run the risk of skin burn,concussion and a slight chance of being killed? Or be shot with a gun and the face the risk of being dead at the spot,or dead after being rushed to the hospital (worse case scenario dem carry u go cell instead of hospital and u still die)

1 Like

Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by MajeOfficial: 6:12pm On Jan 09, 2013
I completely agree!
Are police shouldn't have live rounds, they're not army men and they're not fighting a foreign enemy. Stunt guns or bag launchers will stop anyone in their tracks for a proper arrest, there's no need to give nervous half trained men AK 14's, it's not going to make anyone safer because now we worry about criminals AND police killing us.
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by Afam4eva(m): 6:16pm On Jan 09, 2013
I disagree...

This is the method of doing things in Nigeria that i've been against.

We should not take guns from policemen just because there have been accidental discharge. Rather the NPF should recruit better educated hands rather than the stark illiterates out of which some are mentally unstable.
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by KnowAll(m): 6:30pm On Jan 09, 2013
our police would think becos it dosen't kill they can be using it willy-nilly, shooting would be trouble makers several times instead of once. it can be dangerous if not properly deployed.

2 Likes

Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jan 09, 2013
Stun guns? Does it use battery or its rechargeable? If its the latter, sorry e no go work! You already know why. Meanwhile wont it be abused? The kind wicked police wey we get for naija eh...dem fit shock pesin for 1hour without stopping. Just saying anyway.

7 Likes

Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by movmentish(m): 7:39pm On Jan 09, 2013
berem: Stun guns? Does it use battery or its rechargeable? If its the latter, sorry e no go work! You already know why. Meanwhile wont it be abused? The kind wicked police wey we get for naija eh...dem fit shock pesin for 1hour without stopping. Just saying anyway.
The ones that use batteries will not be capable of being used more than 30 minutes,the rechargeable ones too,and a human being is supposed to survive its misuse

afam4eva: I disagree...

We should not take guns from policemen just because there have been accidental discharge. Rather the NPF should recruit better educated hands rather than the stark illiterates out of which some are mentally unstable.
I'll still prefer to have educated police officers with stun guns than educated police officers with ak47 those tins look scary
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by geeez: 8:42pm On Jan 09, 2013
Stun guns work better at close range. I think policemen should go through psychiatric evaluation before they are allowed to carry firearms. The evaluation should be repeated annually

1 Like

Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by movmentish(m): 9:39pm On Jan 09, 2013
geeez: Stun guns work better at close range. I think policemen should go through psychiatric evaluation before they are allowed to carry firearms. The evaluation should be repeated annually
Most "accidental discharge" happened while the victims were at close range.......
I have first hand information from police recruits that they were giving only 3 bullets for shooting practice before ak47s were shoved into their hands for policing,no amount of psychiatric evaluation can make you good with guns when you learnt how to use it with only 3 shots
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by ocelot2006(m): 2:02am On Jan 10, 2013
Stun guns huh...so what happens when cops armed with stun guns ONLY end up facing heavily armed robbers/militants/pirates/terrorists?

By the way, you do know that in western countries, stun guns are issued along with standard firearms, right?
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by Nobody: 6:26am On Jan 10, 2013

1 Like

Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by baynix(m): 9:04am On Jan 10, 2013
Seconded!!
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by Nobody: 9:07am On Jan 10, 2013
Issue stun gun with a regular one, and make deadly force necessary as a last resort. Stun Gun alone is a suicide mission for a policeman faced with 2 'agberos' talkless of armed criminals
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by COvo(m): 9:12am On Jan 10, 2013
Great Idea!!!
I've always thought of it. BUT....they'd still need the guns though,just that the govt.should issue pistols instead just like in foreign countries,if the situation goes outta control the army should be called into it(since we don't have S.W.A.T). And also,any policeman who kills a citizen unjustly should be killed also,instead of the normal'remove the uniform'stuff. That way dem go wise...
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by gidiMonsta(m): 9:15am On Jan 10, 2013
ocelot2006: Stun guns huh...so what happens when cops armed with stun guns ONLY end up facing heavily armed robbers/militants/pirates/terrorists?

By the way, you do know that in western countries, stun guns are issued along with standard firearms, right?

We should have a special unit that handles the heavily armed assailants just like what obtains in Brazil. A normal police patrol has no business with AKs, that gun is too unreliable for poor trained officers we have here. A small firearm and a stun gun will do.
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by Truckpusher(m): 9:24am On Jan 10, 2013
With too many mad people on NL that means the number of mad Nigerians In the streets is times ten and you want the NPF not to hold guns?...if we remove the guns trust Nigerians they'll be arresting police by themselves and the chaos no be for here...let them keep the gun jare an average Nigerian will harass a policeman that's holding a gun how much more a policeman without a gun. The police will automatically become boys scouts and an easy targets even for weak criminals.

1 Like

Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by naijainfogalery: 9:37am On Jan 10, 2013
by then Nigerian police will just be shooting any one at any slight provocation, Its a way of giving our police men right to be more violent, they could get so used to it that when given a real gun, they would have forgotten that its not a Stun Gun - Never trust a Nigerian Police,they are shits like crap

1 Like

Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by drzed: 9:59am On Jan 10, 2013
Yes. But only if Armed Robbers, Kidnappers and Boko Haram ALSO agreee to adopt stun guns as the official instrument of havoc in any confrontation. Abi?
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by movmentish(m): 10:15am On Jan 10, 2013
ocelot2006: Stun guns huh...so what happens when cops armed with stun guns ONLY end up facing heavily armed robbers/militants/pirates/terrorists?

and do u know the fire arm is used only when there is no other chance of immobilising the suspect
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by nagoma(m): 10:17am On Jan 10, 2013
It will be a weapon of extortion. If you can't pay, be prepared to be stunned.
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by vanstanzy(m): 10:22am On Jan 10, 2013
These our trigger-happy cops, should use and be mandated to use stun guns but with the real ammo. by the side just incase the criminal they are subduing is very aggressive. But those with guns should be trained better on the handling and use of guns. U should see the way our cops hold their guns with the nozzle pointing at passer-bys' carelessly.
One day, the bus i was in was driving behind a police van, with cops seated behind the van. U should have seen where the nozzles were pointing, just at my bus. My question was, should incase the police van should experience a jolt and one of the guns should mistakenly go off, what would happen? The answer can't be imagined at all.

2 Likes

Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by Nobody: 10:22am On Jan 10, 2013
Will the armed robbers too use stun guns cuz I'm still wondering how a policeman will face an armed robber with sophisticated weapons ?
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by Foxflames: 10:25am On Jan 10, 2013
I am happy with this idea...This is the method used in the UK
Policing without Guns.
It helps keep Guns out of the street. Common Criminals do not need to carry guns as they the policmen do not carry guns. Criminals tend to match the fire power of policement.

Having say that, I think Nigieria is still underveloped for this idea!
I think the main problem with Nigeiran police is extreme lack of proper training coupled with very poor welfare package. Basically poverty!!! In o normal society why would a well paid educated policeman ask you 20 Naira?
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by ucheheart(m): 10:36am On Jan 10, 2013

are you a police officer, if you are not then i guess you haven't had any personal encounter with them cos if you had, you won't be saying this. What you called accidental discharge is in fact intentional and deliberate. An average police man is overambitious to use his gun even at the slightest provocation. Just insult one of them and see if he won't cork his gun and aim it at you, then if he eventually fires it, i will see if you will survive while he claims accidental discharge.
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by ucheheart(m): 10:40am On Jan 10, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Will the armed robbers too use stun guns cuz I'm still wondering how a policeman will face an armed robber with sophisticated weapons ?
there are other security agencies that can handle that.
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by ignis: 10:43am On Jan 10, 2013
KnowAll: our police would think becos it dosen't kill they can be using it willy-nilly, shooting would be trouble makers several times instead of once. it can be dangerous if not properly deployed.
My exact point.
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by movmentish(m): 10:45am On Jan 10, 2013
vanstanzy: These our trigger-happy cops, should use and be mandated to use stun guns but with the real ammo. by the side just incase the criminal they are subduing is very aggressive. But those with guns should be trained better on the handling and use of guns. U should see the way our cops hold their guns with the nozzle pointing at passer-bys' carelessly.
One day, the bus i was in was driving behind a police van, with cops seated behind the van. U should have seen where the nozzles were pointing, just at my bus. My question was, should incase the police van should experience a jolt and one of the guns should mistakenly go off, what would happen? The answer can't be imagined at all.
That scenario looks very scary,and with the ease at which kids see guns in nigeria I won't be surprised if a couple of years from now our youths start shooting up cinemas and schools......
A day hardly goes by without seeing a gun,its not supposed to be so

1 Like

Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by oomen(m): 11:57am On Jan 10, 2013

Afam there's no such thing as accidental discharge with a well fabricated,tested and funtional gun.A safety pin was incoperated into guns to avoid accidental discharge & you only remove the safety pin with the intent to squeeze your trigger.Most member of the Nigeria police force are just trigger happy & i think this is a strategy they deviced so they could be dreaded by the public.I really support the suggestion of gun alternative for them
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by jaymichael(m): 12:25pm On Jan 10, 2013
the stun guns should be used along with other handheld close combat weapons like high calibre pistol etc. Using a long range assault rifle like AK47 as standard issue is a technical flaw. Using such automatic assault rifle in a close and metropolitan and crowed city is a licence for disaster cos how should policemen arresting a man and threatening to shoot the person less than six feet in front of them with a weapon that has a range of 800 meters? if they shoot, what do you think will happen to other people around? worse of all, the policemen are not adequately and properly trained in weapon handling and safety procedures. if an operation requires more sophisticated weapons to be deployed, there should be a special unit maybe like the mobile police to handle such operations. As long as the current status quo remains, there will still be accidental discharges and stray bullet killing and injuring innocent victims. I think the police also need a standard operation rule book, like an operational brochure that stipulates how policemen should act and behave in specific situation and circumstances.
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by movmentish(m): 12:28pm On Jan 10, 2013
jaymichael: the stun guns should be used along with other handheld close combat weapons like high calibre pistol etc. Using a long range assault rifle like AK47 as standard issue is a technical flaw. Using such automatic assault rifle in a close and metropolitan and crowed city is a licence for disaster cos how should policemen arresting a man and threatening to shoot the person less than six feet in front of them with a weapon that has a range of 800 meters? if they shoot, what do you think will happen to other people around? worse of all, the policemen are not adequately and properly trained in weapon handling and safety procedures. if an operation requires more sophisticated weapons to be deployed, there should be a special unit maybe like the mobile police to handle such operations. As long as the current status quo remains, there will still be accidental discharges and stray bullet killing and injuring innocent victims. I think the police also need a standard operation rule book, like an operational brochure that stipulates how policemen should act and behave in specific situation and circumstances.
Seconded!!!

1 Like

Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by blackbeau1(f): 4:03pm On Jan 10, 2013
No matter what,the Nigerian Police will still willfully kill people in the name of 'accidental discharge'.even if you give them just baton and you discover one of them has killed someone.he'll tell you the suspect was with the gun and he(police)fought the suspect,overpowered him,collected his gun and shot him.
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by GOZILLA(m): 4:08pm On Jan 10, 2013
C.Ovo:
Great Idea!!!
I've always thought of it. BUT....they'd still need the guns though,just that the govt.should issue pistols instead just like in foreign countries,if the situation goes outta control the army should be called into it(since we don't have S.W.A.T). And also,any policeman who kills a citizen unjustly should be killed also,instead of the normal'remove the uniform'stuff. That way dem go wise...
The mobile police is our equivalent of SWAT. Nigerian police needs restructuring.
Re: Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns by movmentish(m): 5:56pm On Jan 10, 2013
black_beau: No matter what,the Nigerian Police will still willfully kill people in the name of 'accidental discharge'.even if you give them just baton and you discover one of them has killed someone.he'll tell you the suspect was with the gun and he(police)fought the suspect,overpowered him,collected his gun and shot him.
No one is saying they won't still kill people but what I'm saying is the amount of people killed will be drastically reduced

(1) (2) (Reply)

EFCC Arraigns Babalakin Over N4.7bn Ibori’s Loot / News Making Rounds In The Streets About Niger Delta Avengers And IPOB / Donald Trump Denies Calling Buhari "Lifeless"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.