Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,379 members, 7,812,107 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill (9074 Views)

INEC May Cancel Rivers, Abia Elections / Amaechi May Cancel NGF Meeting In Deference To Jonathan / Jonathan May Cancel Israeli Internet Spy Contract (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by Bolt2011(m): 1:46pm On Jan 11, 2013
WE SAY NO TO SAME-SEX MARRIAGE!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by manny4life(m): 1:48pm On Jan 11, 2013
Just watching ... NO COMMENT
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by Lenny5000(m): 1:55pm On Jan 11, 2013
hagma37@yahoo.com:
Please, why are we deliberating and arguing whether or not about same sex marriage. Its a decree not a right to. We in Africa have norms and values. We don't need gays and lesbians in our midst. We can never support their plea.Its irritating and disgraceful.

No we dont! We Pretend and loves pretending and any values we have could be turned aside with money incentives... With money we would throw away anything so lets no lie and deceive ourselves that we have Values because we dont! If we do lying and looting would not be the order of the day. My take here has nothing to do with the topic at hand cos in as much as I dont hate on any particular group of people, I also believe marriage is between a Man and Woman
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by OILOFGLADNESS: 1:58pm On Jan 11, 2013
djeezy: They cannot amend those sections. Those rights are innate and inalienable. They are sacrosanct. How can you attempt to meddle with what a man does in his own private life? Inasmuch as I am not encouraging same sex marriage, they have to reckon humans have free will and volition. Someone has chosen to go to hell, why don't you let him to go hell? Law and morality are mutually exclusive/inclusive as may be the case.

with my little knowledge about constitution and law,
law and constitution mus be acceptable by all and mus not have controversial impact on peoples religion
before nigeria law and constitution, the universal law (bible)for christians has existed.
if you are against it you shouldnt even make this comment at all.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by loswhite(m): 2:15pm On Jan 11, 2013
So if we decide to have sex with animals it is also how right abi. Why is d un n us so interested in dis same sex issue?
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by mankand(m): 2:16pm On Jan 11, 2013
Another misplaced priority seeking attention.

If he had a better job, he will not be fighting on behalf of such animals and infidels. He better move to US or Europe where same sex is accepted. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeediot
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jan 11, 2013
The comments! Mon dieu, the comments! *heeeyyy sexy haters!* (in psy's voice)
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by djeezy(m): 2:18pm On Jan 11, 2013
OILOFGLADNESS:

with my little knowledge about constitution and law,
law and constitution mus be acceptable by all and mus not have controversial impact on peoples religion
before nigeria law and constitution, the universal law (bible)for christians has existed.
if you are against it you shouldnt even make this comment at all.
Are you ignorant of the fact that even the bible/religion recognises free will? I have no reproach against the constitution. If you are to make the Nigerian constitution based on Religion, which religion do you build the substratum upon? Islam? Christianity? Or what?

1 Like

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by dilbert100: 2:22pm On Jan 11, 2013
<<<yawn>>>
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by Symphony007: 2:34pm On Jan 11, 2013
Exactly!! This is what i've been saying for ages. If this stupid law passes then the supreme court and all the judges are clowns. What right does a government have to tell people what to do with their private lives. If they want to grow through with the law they should just strike out the entire claus from the constitution so we will know that we now live in a totalitarian state, wherethe government is free to dictate how you run your life.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by joelreg(m): 2:35pm On Jan 11, 2013
ItsModella:
It's a decree...so because you have norms and values, you're gonna tell someone how to live his life? I'm not an advocate of same sex relationship/marriage but we must realize that these people have the right to dictate to themselves the course of their lives.

Chey na ur leg u dey take d reason.huuuuh. Rit to dis , rit to dat, mitchew. Moral zerooooooo.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by manny4life(m): 2:36pm On Jan 11, 2013
I remembered I said this on the previous thread - if it were in democratic nations, the unalienable right and courts will kill this law before on arrival. Five day later, my predictions are coming to pass... haha

Grabbing my popcorn and drinking my soda as the drama unfolds - to be or not to be.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by nlofficial(m): 3:01pm On Jan 11, 2013
harobed81:

point of correction,they are already living in our midst and because they haven't bn throwing it in our faces does not mean they dont exist either.Even though i'm nt an advocate for same sex marriage i say y dnt you live them to their act , God is in heaven and will reward each person according to their act,you cant force pple evn the bible said i have placed before u life and death but i urge you to please choose life.My point is you cant force pple to live in a certain way even God IS NOT forcing pple to live in a certain He merely urges us to.

Perhaps, when it involves your child, I'll like to see the look on your face and as well the action that will be taken by you.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by iamdsam: 3:05pm On Jan 11, 2013
Everybody has the right to be whatever he or she wants to be. I support gay marriage but I'm definitely not one. Anything each one of us do at home is our own business. The Nigerian legislators should debate about other important things like security, education and power. Lets support gay rights
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by stupor(m): 3:07pm On Jan 11, 2013
Is there a decreed Act that a whole UStates wóuld pròmulgate intó law that can't find its way intó anôther country's revered constitution !

If there must be one country,then that country must be an islamic state opposed by the US itself.

Forget it ! Those laws will find its way into our system,and we will even celebrate them.

Let's talk about something else !
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by lacidi: 3:14pm On Jan 11, 2013
Some of these people think that Nigeria is made up of fools. The rights being referred to here are the right to 'freedom to private family life' and 'freedom from discrimination'. I will take them one after the other:

1. Private Family Life - The right to private family life presupposes that you are LEGALLY living a family life. It does not mean that you can commit Bigamy and then claim that you have a right to family life. You also cannot marry a 10 year old and claim you have a right to family life. The definition of what amounts to 'family life' has to be derived from other laws of the country and case laws because the constitution does not define 'family life'.

So to define family life, we have to look at laws relating to marriage, child custody and divorce etc. Does the constitution define these laws? These laws are captured in the marriage act etc. So you do not need to amend the constitution, all you need to amend is the laws that define marriage and family.

The definition of family in one region differs from another region. For e.g. a Muslim in the north can marry 4 wives legally, but a Christian who marries under the marriage act cannot legally marry another wife while the 1st marriage is subsisting. Can he then sue to claim that his right to 'Private family life' has been breached if he is stopped from marrying additional wives?

2. Freedom from Discrimination - first of all we have to ask what discrimination is. The constitution mentions 'Discrimination on the basis of sex' and NOT on the basis of sex.ual preference. So the discrimination covered under the constitution is the one that deals with your natural sex i.e. man or woman. So if you are being discriminated against because you are a man or because you are a woman, then you have a right to sue under the constitution. The constitution does not cover discrimination due to SEX.UAL PREFERENCE.

E.g. when someone is arrested and jailed in the US for Incest, is he being discriminated against? Note that the Incest in question is between two adults - father & daughter, mother & son, son & daughter. Also when someone is arrested and jailed in US and Europe for Polygamy, is he being discriminated against? Note that Polygamy is between an adult man and 2 of more adult consenting females. Sex with animals is legal in Germany, but a crime in most other countries. So people that practice sex with animals in these other countries, can they sue for discrimination?

What of pedophiles who it has been scientifically established that they cannot control their desire to have sex with infants. These people are acting outside their control. So why are they being jailed? Is this discrimination?

So using the constitutional provision on discrimination as grounds is total rubbish.

I rest my case.

5 Likes

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by julius2825(m): 3:14pm On Jan 11, 2013
ItsModella:
It's a decree...so because you have norms and values, you're gonna tell someone how to live his life? I'm not an advocate of same sex relationship/marriage but we must realize that these people have the right to dictate to themselves the course of their lives.
telling someone how to live his or her life,is not wrong,it just stress that,you are in a position of correcting the person,if you don't you would be questioned
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by Symphony007: 3:21pm On Jan 11, 2013
This issue always makes me laugh cause it's pathetic! How does people becoming gay affect you? You seek 14 years imprisonment for what someone decide to do in their bedroom but no consequences for someone who loots and steals from the public! This law is stupid and won't stand, if the senate wants to do this, they should repeal the "freedoms" claus of the constitution, so we will know we are now a totalitarian policce state at the mercy of our government.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by seunajia: 3:22pm On Jan 11, 2013
ItsModella:
djeezy: Are you ignorant of the fact that even the bible/religion recognises free will? I have no reproach against the constitution. If you are to make the Nigerian constitution based on Religion, which religion do you build the substratum upon? Islam? Christianity? Or what?

Yada yada yada...you both are gay apologists. What do you know about human rights? Human rights my black bottom! Is the banning of possession and use cocaine, Marijuana and other hard drugs not infringing on the rights of people "who have the right to dictate to themselves the course of their lives."?

Crap. The same human rights that allows people gun down a whole school?

Yehoe! It is also my right that no dirty immoral gaystar should offend my sensibilities!

This gay BS is not part of our ethos and pathos as Africans. You strive to become better not worse or derelict.

Na so e dey start, before you know it them go dey ask for gay president.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by UncleJJ(m): 3:23pm On Jan 11, 2013
Whats all this noise about... USA,UK and other European Countries have made same sex marraige part of their constitutions. Yet, Nigerian's still travel legally and illegally in drove to these countries "that support same sex marraige". F.c.K their daughters, drink their cool aid, beg them not to add us on the terrorist list.

We practically feed off these nations one way or the other - in other words we already support same sex marriage one way or the other.

So, lets quit all this moral lies and bullshit we tell ourselve's - religion this, africa that ... when we are dining with the devil. This same sex thing will happen.... wether like it or not.

Until we become truly independent and productive like China and her counter-parts until then

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by lacidi: 3:23pm On Jan 11, 2013
ItsModella:
I wonder o...
No problem, so why is Incest and Polygamy a crime in US and western world. What is their business with what 2 or more consenting adults are doing in their private rooms. Can you explain the basis for arresting an adult father for sleeping with his adult working class daughter who has fully consented to the sex.

Also tell me why they are againt a man marrying 2 or more consenting females.

Please explain this.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by seunajia: 3:27pm On Jan 11, 2013
lacidi: Some of these people think that Nigeria is made up of fools. The rights being referred to here are the right to 'freedom to private family life' and 'freedom from discrimination'. I will take them one after the other:

1. Private Family Life - The right to private family life presupposes that you are LEGALLY living a family life. It does not mean that you can commit Bigamy and then claim that you have a right to family life. You also cannot marry a 10 year old and claim you have a right to family life. The definition of what amounts to 'family life' has to be derived from other laws of the country and case laws because the constitution does not define 'family life'.

So to define family life, we have to look at laws relating to marriage, child custody and divorce etc. Does the constitution define these laws? These laws are captured in the marriage act etc. So you do not need to amend the constitution, all you need to amend is the laws that define marriage and family.

The definition of family in one region differs from another region. For e.g. a Muslim in the north can marry 4 wives legally, but a Christian who marries under the marriage act cannot legally marry another wife while the 1st marriage is subsisting. Can he then sue to claim that his right to 'Private family life' has been breached if he is stopped from marrying additional wives?

2. Freedom from Discrimination - first of all we have to ask what discrimination is. The constitution mentions 'Discrimination on the basis of sex' and NOT on the basis of sex.ual preference. So the discrimination covered under the constitution is the one that deals with your natural sex i.e. man or woman. So if you are being discriminated against because you are a man or because you are a woman, then you have a right to sue under the constitution. The constitution does not cover discrimination due to SEX.UAL PREFERENCE.

E.g. when someone is arrested and jailed in the US for Incest, is he being discriminated against? Note that the Incest in question is between two adults - father & daughter, mother & son, son & daughter. Also when someone is arrested and jailed in US and Europe for Polygamy, is he being discriminated against? Note that Polygamy is between an adult man and 2 of more adult consenting females. Sex with animals is legal in Germany, but a crime in most other countries. So people that practice sex with animals in these other countries, can they sue for discrimination?

What of pedophiles who it has been scientifically established that they cannot control their desire to have sex with infants. These people are acting outside their control. So why are they being jailed? Is this discrimination?

So using the constitutional provision on discrimination as grounds is total rubbish.

I rest my case.

Gosh sir! If my mother were not married to my father, I would've given you her hand in marriage.

+100000

1 Like

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by bknight: 3:33pm On Jan 11, 2013
lacidi: ...I rest my case.

Oga your case is resting well jor, no disturbance. Na ppl like u dey make knowledge sweet! cheesy Btw, more oil of wisdom to ur head, Sir!
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by julius2825(m): 3:34pm On Jan 11, 2013
Symphony007: This issue always makes me laugh cause it's pathetic! How does people becoming gay affect you? You seek 14 years imprisonment for what someone decide to do in their bedroom but no consequences for someone who loots and steals from the public! This law is stupid and won't stand, if the senate wants to do this, they should repeal the "freedoms" claus of the constitution, so we will know we are now a totalitarian policce state at the mercy of our government.
it starts from one place,then it gradually spreads,and get publicated,if you can't plea for it to stop now,you won't be able to stop your children from addicting to it,other peoples problem has to be your problem,because there problems could be conjured to the air,inwhich we all breath in
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by BetaThings: 3:35pm On Jan 11, 2013
*Kails*:
Awesome. tongue
I suggest that you come out in the open and say this
Come for instance to
Yaba
Or Wuse Market
Or Mile 1 market

1 Like

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by BetaThings: 3:37pm On Jan 11, 2013
julius2825:
telling someone how to live his or her life,is not wrong,it just stress that,you are in a position of correcting the person,if you don't you would be questioned
We don't care whether it is wrong or cruel
We just don't want it
We are not telling; we are ORDERING!

1 Like

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jan 11, 2013
God hope say U dey 4 heaven dey see wetin dem dey plan, see as all these people 4 Nairaland they use idea support d thing, people like itsmodella and co wey dey use idea say dem no dey support same sex but wil go on 2 advocate they are left to their act, God and devil know say If I had d power na conc hydroflouric gas i go use smoke dz people out from dz my naija wey 2 don suffer and now na this one wey wan happen
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by julius2825(m): 3:48pm On Jan 11, 2013
UncleJJ: Whats all this noise about... USA,UK and other European Countries have made same sex marraige part of their constitutions. Yet, Nigerian's still travel legally and illegally in drove to these countries "that support same sex marraige". F.c.K their daughters, drink their cool aid, beg them not to add us on the terrorist list.

We practically feed off these nations one way or the other - in other words we already support same sex marriage one way or the other.

So, lets quit all this moral lies and bullshit we tell ourselve's - religion this, africa that ... when we are dining with the devil. This same sex thing will happen.... wether like it or not.

Until we become truly independent and productive like China and her counter-parts until then

even if we walk through the valley of shadows of death,we shall fear no evil,nigeria is the present target,because here consist of surfisticated instruments,that can bring the powerfull down,those main significant europians,are now making appointment to nigeria,they just use all this as an outer corverage,to their main objective,inrespective of their strategies and technical precautions,our nigeria must be protected with every bit of the resources we have,prayers etc,because it's all we got
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by julius2825(m): 3:50pm On Jan 11, 2013
May there be peace and safety in our 4 corners,and i pray peace be with us all,amen
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by braine(m): 4:25pm On Jan 11, 2013
Bolt2011: WE SAY NO TO SAME-SEX MARRIAGE!!!!

Did a guy ask for your hand in marriage?? undecided
And how does same sex marriage affect you?
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by vanstanzy(m): 4:52pm On Jan 11, 2013
djeezy: They cannot amend those sections. Those rights are innate and inalienable. They are sacrosanct. How can you attempt to meddle with what a man does in his own private life? Inasmuch as I am not encouraging same sex marriage, they have to reckon humans have free will and volition. Someone has chosen to go to hell, why don't you let him to go hell? Law and morality are mutually exclusive/inclusive as may be the case.

So if they end up in hell and u end up in Heaven, that's ok by u, right? angry angry angry angry Do u think God will commend u for allowing a fellow human being u could have helped, end up in hell. What they are doing is "TOTALLY" unacceptable. What does the Holy Bible say about allowing someone tow the wrong path. Clearly, these our brothers and sisters are "CONFUSED" don't u see that?
Guy, please comment constructively. sad sad sad
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by vanstanzy(m): 4:54pm On Jan 11, 2013

So if they end up in hell and u end up in Heaven, that's ok by u, right? angry angry angry angry Do u think God will commend u for allowing a fellow human being u could have helped, end up in hell. What they are doing is "TOTALLY" unacceptable. What does the Holy Bible say about allowing someone tow the wrong path. Clearly, these our brothers and sisters are "CONFUSED" don't u see that? For ur information, that free will u talk about leads to anarchy if not controlled. That's what we are now seeing around us.
Guy, please comment constructively. sad sad sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Osinbajo And His Many Senseless Moves!!! / Military Strength: The Top 5 Nations That Could Defeat The World(WWIII). / I Never Slept With Any Man For Money - Linda Ikeji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.