Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,976 members, 7,952,932 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:39 AM

Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? (686 Views)

Tinubu Calls For Revolution / U.S Vows To Support Nigerian Elections With $51 Million / Will You Support The Return Of Barth Nnaji As Power Minister... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by yasaa(m): 10:25pm On Jan 11, 2013
Now, as in the 1960s, the biggest impediment to Nigeria's lasting peace is not greed or territorial disagreement, or indecision over how to unify the nation's stream of tribes, or even the two different religions.

Those above are formidable problems but not insurmountable.

As far as I am concerned, the greatest threat to our unity and progress is the unending suspicion and deep-rooted hatred that so many of the leaders of one region had for the others.

It always distracted my precious fresh mind to think that real unity of Nigeria could not occur until the entire generation (set of leaders) that was directly touched by the war had died out or completely out of power.

1 Like

Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jan 11, 2013
Like serously, do u think that is solution to our problem I think not.
Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by daryoor(m): 1:50am On Jan 12, 2013
what about corruption? Is that not the greatest threat to our progress, suspition is only natural.
What exactly will a revolution achieve? If these set of leaders are deposed it will only lead to a situation where we hav the same problem different actors.

we can only protest for reforms just as the indias demanded for stricter laws on corruption. We lack transparency, accountability, our laws are protecting the incumbents.........these kind of problems should be tackled not trying to ouster jonathan
Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by Nobody: 2:18am On Jan 12, 2013
Simplest solution....dual federalism which empowers they states to control thier own resources with sovereignty equal to that obtained centrally. It works like magic and gives each individual state capacity to manage their resources, be more accountable to thier subjects, sense of ownership, most of all patriotism. The central system of government will never work in Nigeria, considering our history as an heterogeneous kind of humans.

Lastly, if any state desires to break away, let it BE, we were never meant to be united as Nigerians, if not for those power hungry, slave trading Britons.
Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by MAYOWAAK: 6:40pm On Jan 12, 2013
Wishful thinking is not a bad thing but can revolution advocates state how their end desires differ from what is already stated in the Constitution and why we need a revolution to achieve them? What really fascinates them about a revolution? The spectacles of violence and bloodshed, or a genuine desire for change? If the latter, is a revolution really necessary? Won’t protest culture or even rebellion suffice? Won’t a more participatory citizenship be far more helpful? I have put out all these questions, not necessarily to seek answers but for us to interrogate our thoughts.

Very soon, we would be called upon to begin the process of electing a fresh set of leaders. Rather than expressing outrage the President plans to re-contest, it is up to us to act with circumspection. It is our duty not to be carried away when our leaders start crawling to religious grounds or kneeling before gods. They will cut a perfect picture of pathetic prayer projects when they assume a humble stance and announce they need divine wisdom. When that time comes, can Nigerians transcend all this vaudeville and reject directionless and clueless leadership? Can we transcend tribalism, ethnicity, regionalism, sexism and all those factors that have successfully held us down in the past and choose more worthwhile people to lead us? That might be a revolution to look forward to.
Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by Nobody: 1:49am On Jan 13, 2013
MAYOWAAK: Wishful thinking is not a bad thing but can revolution advocates state how their end desires differ from what is already stated in the Constitution and why we need a revolution to achieve them? What really fascinates them about a revolution? The spectacles of violence and bloodshed, or a genuine desire for change? If the latter, is a revolution really necessary? Won’t protest culture or even rebellion suffice? Won’t a more participatory citizenship be far more helpful? I have put out all these questions, not necessarily to seek answers but for us to interrogate our thoughts.

Very soon, we would be called upon to begin the process of electing a fresh set of leaders. Rather than expressing outrage the President plans to re-contest, it is up to us to act with circumspection. It is our duty not to be carried away when our leaders start crawling to religious grounds or kneeling before gods. They will cut a perfect picture of pathetic prayer projects when they assume a humble stance and announce they need divine wisdom. When that time comes, can Nigerians transcend all this vaudeville and reject directionless and clueless leadership? Can we transcend tribalism, ethnicity, regionalism, sexism and all those factors that have successfully held us down in the past and choose more worthwhile people to lead us? That might be a revolution to look forward to.
I'm surprised you posted this comment. I thought I read somewhere else where you clearly identified Nigeria's problem as structural?

How come you now suddenly turn to blame a "directionless and clueless" govt here? Except you have sinister motive for wanting GEJ to be voted out, there's absolutely no way removing or voting out GEJ will solve Nigeria's problem. Any fair minded person or group of persons who think Nigeria's problems can be solved in any way by removing or rejecting GEJ at the polls must be the greatest fool of the century.

Before GEJ came to power, Nigeria had existed for 5 decades and didn't experience the much talked about development. Even the first republic that some persons fantasy about, was full of crisis after crisis that culminated in a coup. Without the crisis of those days, there wouldn't have been a coup. If you read your history properly, it was said that coup was initially well recieved by all until some persons brought in ethnic sentiments.

In fact, I can confidently say at the moment, that besides the boko haram problem, Nigeria has never had politically STABLE environment in her over 5decades of existence like we have today.

I still insist that Nigeria's problem are structural and can only be solved after oil dries up. Because the country has been structured, since independence and even worse now, in such a way that no structural changes that does not have support of the north can succeed. And the structural changes that will bring development cannot be supported by the north today because they'll fear lose of oil wealth.

2 Likes

Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by Nobody: 2:16am On Jan 13, 2013
I'm not trying to justify corrupt practices but the REALITY is that the present structure of the nation FERTILIZES corruption.

Why wont the politicians in Abuja be corrupt if all they do there is SHARE oil money, which nobody worked for? I mean in that sort of situation even an ANGEL will be corrupt. Even if the head by any stroke of miracle is not looting, those under him will be looting. The TRUTH is that where there is FREE MONEY, there must be LOOTING.

Why wont an incumbent president be corrupt when you need FUNDS to fight the likes of IBB politically, who themselves became powerful and rich thru corruption? Can an incumbent president dare touch someone like IBB, who has loyalists everywhere even among serving military officers?

Why wont Fashola be corrupt when he needs funds to sustain himself and prepare for life after office or build up arsenal for higher political ambition?

Why wont an incumbent president, who owns the oil from which the likes of IBB and Buhari became stupendously rich or powerful, not also loot the treasury to be wealthy and powerful too? In fact, if he doesn't his people will call him a FOOL after he has left office, for probably another hausa-fulani to come and enrich himself again from the same oil money.

Anyway, my point really is that our problem is structural. The corruption, lack of development, unemployment,poverty,etc is structural.

Those who are looking for a messiah, who they say will fight corruption and end all of our problems, are probably looking for THEIR OWN SHARE OF THE NATIONAL CAKE.

We do not need a messiah. Rather we need re-structuring. The hardwork that a re-structuring will unleash will drastically reduce corruption because when everyone is working for his money and no sharing is going on, the tendency to be corrupt will reduce.

Until we re-structure this country, no meaningful progress will be made in any aspect.

2 Likes

Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by anulaxad(m): 10:08am On Jan 13, 2013
YES INFACT I WILL,BECOME A REVOLUTION LEADER IF POSSIBLE LIKE MKO
Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jan 13, 2013
@moderator,
front page pls so more persons can make input to this debate
Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by Baba419(m): 3:52pm On Jan 13, 2013
The war is the reconstruction. I say Nigeria will not change until blood is used to scrub the streets.
Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by Baba419(m): 3:52pm On Jan 13, 2013
Our children must hav something to read.
Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by cap28: 4:09pm On Jan 13, 2013
focus on your real enemy - europe and the united states that are currently invading and occupying your continent as we speak - the real enemy of progress in not inter ethnic strife but the white man who is using divide and conquer to keep you enslaved, wake up from your s.tupidity and face your real enemy.
Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by rash47(m): 4:53pm On Jan 13, 2013
Baba419: The war is the reconstruction. I say Nigeria will not change until blood is used to scrub the streets.

We must surely re-conquer ourself before we identify our problem, am in support of any kind of revolution that will usher in a new nigeria built on trust, patriotism, hardwork and justice for all and sundry in mother africa. I mean a rev of force, because nigeria as presently designed can't sustain an ideological revolution.
We must go the liberian way, I learnt that law as a proffession is the most thriving proffession in that con3 due to awarness on human right. For us to move ahead we must seek justice in the face of all our variations.
Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by ijawcitizen(m): 5:53pm On Jan 13, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
I'm surprised you posted this comment. I thought I read somewhere else where you clearly identified Nigeria's problem as structural?

How come you now suddenly turn to blame a "directionless and clueless" govt here? Except you have sinister motive for wanting GEJ to be voted out, there's absolutely no way removing or voting out GEJ will solve Nigeria's problem. Any fair minded person or group of persons who think Nigeria's problems can be solved in any way by removing or rejecting GEJ at the polls must be the greatest fool of the century.

Before GEJ came to power, Nigeria had existed for 5 decades and didn't experience the much talked about development. Even the first republic that some persons fantasy about, was full of crisis after crisis that culminated in a coup. Without the crisis of those days, there wouldn't have been a coup. If you read your history properly, it was said that coup was initially well recieved by all until some persons brought in ethnic sentiments.

In fact, I can confidently say at the moment, that besides the boko haram problem, Nigeria has never had politically STABLE environment in her over 5decades of existence like we have today.

I still insist that Nigeria's problem are structural and can only be solved after oil dries up. Because the country has been structured, since independence and even worse now, in such a way that no structural changes that does not have support of the north can succeed. And the structural changes that will bring development cannot be supported by the north today because they'll fear lose of oil wealth.

The entire 14 million Ijaws worldwide likes for you!
Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by daryoor(m): 4:32pm On Jan 16, 2013
cap28: focus on your real enemy - europe and the united states that are currently invading and occupying your continent as we speak - the real enemy of progress in not inter ethnic strife but the white man who is using divide and conquer to keep you enslaved, wake up from your s.tupidity and face your real enemy.

u need to read more. Or maybe u should stop reading works of acient writers like nkrumah
Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by Dede1(m): 7:25pm On Jan 16, 2013
I am in support of any revolution that leads to the disintegration of Nigeria. Anything short of disintegration is a complete waste of time and human endeavor.
Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by juman(m): 7:48pm On Jan 16, 2013
Dede1: I am in support of any revolution that leads to the disintegration of Nigeria. Anything short of disintegration is a complete waste of time and human endeavor.

I agree with you.
Re: Could You Support #Nigerian Revolution? by anulaxad(m): 9:01am On Jan 17, 2013
Dede1: I am in support of any revolution that leads to the disintegration of Nigeria. Anything short of disintegration is a complete waste of time and human endeavor.

YOU ARE USELESS.

IT'S OBVIOUS YOU WERE NOT TAUGHT ANYTHING ABOUT GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATIONS,OR HISTORY.

YOU WANT A COUNTRY THAT PROBABLY HAS THE 2ND OR 3RD OLDEST HISTORY IN AFRICA AFTER THE EGYPTIANS(NUBIAN'S) TO JUST SPLIT UP LIKE THAT

AND TO MAKE THINGS WORSE YOUR BASING YOUR COMMENT ON AN AFRICAN COUNTRY.LISTEN,AFRICA WAS MADE BY A BUNCH OF WHITE EUROPEAN BUFFOONS(IN BERLIN,GERMANY) DRAWING ON THE MAP DECIDED WHICH PART THERE GOING TAKE OVER.

FOR ME I PERSONALLY FELL NIGERIA SHOULD HAVE MORE LAND COMING FROM BENIN,NIGER AND THE CAMEROON.

IF IT WERE NOT, THAT I CANT BE BOTHERED TO LIKE MY COUNTRY I WOULD HAVE DISINTERESTED YOU.

(1) (Reply)

Bodies Of Vandals Float On Creeks / BRT - Be On Your Guard If You're Close To The Window - 22/01/2013 / 2015: I’ll Go To The N’assembly–akpabio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.