Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,804 members, 7,810,094 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Nigerian Police Show Of Shame - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Police Show Of Shame (1657 Views)

Show Of Shame As Govt, Security Officials Turn Govt House To Boxing Arena / Chatham House: Stage Managed Show Of Shame By Buhari, APC – Fani Kayode / Police Show Of Force Message - True Or False? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by bubadaniel13: 10:33pm On Jan 11, 2013
The last has not been heard of the so many "wonders" of the Nigeria Police Force,even with the new code of conduct launched yesterday by the VP on bhalf of GEJ,a bad coincidence u may say.This is an eye witness account,just yesterday a police Corporal Emmanuel Agbe shot one Chukwuma Harris,a taxi driver at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport,simply because the driver refused to give him #300 as bribe out of the #500 tip he collected from the passenger.At present Chukwuma is in a critical condition at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital while the trigger happy Corporal Emmanuel Abge has been detained at the beesam police station close to Murtala Mohammed International Airport.The question is,will the code of conduct have any impact on the police?Can somebody help me out?
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by bubadaniel13: 10:48pm On Jan 11, 2013
This is really pathetic and heartbreaking,the police is like a leopard who hardly changes its skin.
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by Idokojimmy: 11:00pm On Jan 11, 2013
Second to ccomment. But this people na scam. Civil Defence Pass them. They are gud at this

Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by TableLeg(m): 11:01pm On Jan 11, 2013
Embarrassing .... Absolutely embarrassing!
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by badlucky: 11:14pm On Jan 11, 2013
For a DIG to meddle himself with murder cases, then the NPF should be proscribed. I watched how Oshiomole embarrased police, reducing them to nothing. Its annoying, that people that should ordinarily protect U end up being your killer. God help us. They hate this, so they can go extra mile

Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by HammedSodiqq: 11:43pm On Jan 11, 2013
Nothing good can come out of these people

Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by julius2825(m): 12:04am On Jan 12, 2013
Talking about the new code of conduct,it can never work,or else the whole sections and sectors are fully visited,like the police pension,how do you expect i as an police officer to work confidently and effectively,when i know and have in mind that after my time in service,or if peradventure any thing happens to me,my whole sweat is not sure or guarantied that i or my family would it the enjoy the devidence of my labour.
Mostly without this much considerations the code of conduct is just by the way.
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by MurphyT1: 12:13am On Jan 12, 2013
Itz so Sad dat at dis time the NPF are stl talkin abt code of conduct, so wot hav de bin operatin on all dis while, noo wonder de hav bin mishavin in carryin out their duties. Really shameful, oshiomhole said it all durin their suummit, fed govt need to act fast to safe Nig. Of dis mess
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by Camilia247: 12:28am On Jan 12, 2013
Nigeria Police never cease to amaze me, thank God for other security agencies, esp the SSS, they ve really bin up and doin, fillin de gap for de Police when they fail to deliver...a lot need to be done in d NPF
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by usmanyaro17: 7:35am On Jan 12, 2013
This is really a touching story,I don't think the new code of conduct will have any impact on the their notorious attitude,our only saving grace in Naija is the other security agencies like the military,SSS and civil defence who are doing excellently well if not the police would have thrown our country into complete anarchy.
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by Noraokon: 11:14am On Jan 12, 2013
My God save us 4rm the Nigerian Police.
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by boladez(m): 11:19am On Jan 12, 2013
No Poster,

The account in punch is different. The Policeman shot a tout because a lady was being harassed. I think there is improvement in the police under the new IG . At least if not anything the eradication of the checking points on the highways.

See Punch of today 12 Jan 2013
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Policeman shoots tout at Lagos airport •Gunmen kill one in Onitsha
January 12, 2013 by Emmanuel Obe, Awka and Oyetunji Abioye 13 Comments
Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, Mr. Umaru Manko

| credits:

A police corporal shot a suspected tout on Thursday night for refusing to give him N500 at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos.

The policeman, whose identity is yet to be released by the Airport Command of the Nigerian Police Force, was said to have been shot in the stomach at the public car park of the MMIA.

The money was said to have been given to the suspected tout by a passenger whom he had assisted to push his baggage trolley from the arrival terminal to the car park.

Eyewitnesses said the intestines of the suspected tout spilled out from the gunshot wound and he was rushed to Beesam Hospital, near the airport, by security operatives.

Saturday PUNCH learnt that Aviation Security officials of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria immediately alerted the airport police command and the corporal was subsequently arrested.

The General Manager, Corporate Communications, FAAN, Mr. Yakubu Dati, confirmed the development.

But said it could not be confirmed if the victim was dead or not.

“The man was shot by a policeman. He has been rushed to the hospital. The policeman has been arrested. You know, as it is with anything involving a bullet, only a medical doctor can confirm now if the person was dead,” Dati said.

The Commissioner of Police, Airport Command, Mr. Olatunji CaulCrick, also confirmed the development. He said that the circumstances surrounding the shooting was still being investigated, adding that the suspected tout were responding to treatment.

CaulCrick said, “The matter is being investigated. The man that was shot is a suspected tout. We have arrested the policeman who shot him. He will explain the circumstances that led him to shoot the man. There are guides and procedures for using firearms. We don’t know if the man in question exhibited some threats.”

Unconfirmed reports said the corporal was invited to the car park by a woman who had complained that some touts were harassing her.

The policeman, who was identified by airport officials as Mr. Emmanuel Agabi, was said to have followed the woman to the car park where he met some of the touts that had prevented the woman from moving her car.

Agabi was said to have asked the woman to move her car in the presence of the touts and she offered him N500 in return.

Unconfirmed reports said the policeman did not accept the money from the woman.

After the woman had left, the touts, led by one Chuks, allegedly challenged Agabi for stopping them from collecting money from the woman. The situation, it was learnt, forced the latter to shoot Chuks in the stomach.

As at 6 pm on Friday, unconfirmed reports said the gunshot victim was still alive.

Meanwhile, suspected armed robbers operating on a motorcycle shot and killed an unidentified man and injured another in Onitsha on Friday.

The gunmen were said to have trailed their victims, who were in a commercial tricycle, to Upper New Market Road, where they opened fire on them, killing one on the spot while another sustained serious injuries.

Eyewitnesses said the assailants sped off immediately they hit their victims without collecting anything from them.

“Maybe because policemen from Central Police Station were coming after them, but the only thing I know is that the other man that died was shot at a close range and he died instantly,” a source said.

However, the Divisional Police Officer in charge of the Central Police Station in Onitsha, Mr. Tope Fasugba, led a team of policemen to the scene of the shooting and gave the suspects a chase but failed to apprehend them.

Fasugba said his men could not shoot at the fleeing gunmen in order to avoid a situation where innocent persons could be hit by stray bullets.

“Our hands were tied because Onitsha is highly populated and innocent people could be hurt. That was why they escaped when we went after them. They moved faster with the help of commercial motorcycles and were able to escape. But we shall get them,” he said.

The DPO said the motive for the killing was yet unknown, adding that the police would be on their trail.

He said the injured victim of the attack was taken to a hospital for treatment, while the body of the deceased was deposited at a mortuary.
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by Yaya6: 8:58am On Jan 14, 2013
Imagine that a case of lying corpse was reported in Nasarawa state recently and the only thing the DPO could do was to tell the people that reported the case to go ahead and bury the body, without contacting the family of the dead person. grin grin Nigerian Police i hail theeee!
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by Nobody: 9:21am On Jan 14, 2013
I have said it before n I'm saying it again, these people should subject all eligible applicants to psychological tests, instead of wasting their time on a fruitless quest for certificate grades. Did I forget to say this; The black color of their uniform is a bad semiotic sign as well. Lol.
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by Joeadamu86: 12:49pm On Jan 14, 2013
And they say the police is your friend,its so embarrassing that thugs and criminals are parading themselves as police officers who are suppose to protect lives and properties end up killing innocent people for peanuts,the Police needs to be overhauled.
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:25pm On Jan 14, 2013
The difference between the Nigerian Police and the SSS?: CLASS!
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by touchmehard: 1:31pm On Jan 14, 2013
Look at the way they are handling the Oshiomole's Private secretary's murder case.

Their recruitment process is so shabby. They need to be sieved and the chaff among them shown the way out, while the remnants should go for an intensive capacity building training.
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by princenayo: 1:35pm On Jan 14, 2013
Idokojimmy: Second to ccomment. But this people na scam. Civil Defence Pass them. They are gud at this
TU ALLE, BABA OO
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by Joeadamu86: 1:41pm On Jan 14, 2013
touch_me_hard: Look at the way they are handling the Oshiomole's Private secretary's murder case.

Their recruitment process is so shabby. They need to be sieved and the chaff among them shown the way out, while the remnants should go for an intensive capacity building training.
This advice is excellent...i just pray they will heed to such wise counsels..
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by lekanolas: 1:44pm On Jan 14, 2013
What do you expect from them? Nothing

Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by KingSolomonI: 1:54pm On Jan 14, 2013
[size=14pt]The Nigerian police is just a failed institution....they are the background of corruption in this country,the politicians learnt from them...so the question is what brought about the decay in the Nigerian Police and where do we go from here? abi na so we go dey dey?[/size]
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by Joeadamu86: 1:56pm On Jan 14, 2013
lekanolas: What do you expect from them? Nothing
Is this a movie or real?this is so pathethic...
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by princenayo: 2:10pm On Jan 14, 2013
police ! chewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jan 14, 2013
boladez: No Poster,

The account in punch is different. The Policeman shot a tout because a lady was being harassed. I think there is improvement in the police under the new IG . At least if not anything the eradication of the checking points on the highways.

See Punch of today 12 Jan 2013
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Policeman shoots tout at Lagos airport •Gunmen kill one in Onitsha
January 12, 2013 by Emmanuel Obe, Awka and Oyetunji Abioye 13 Comments

| credits:

A police corporal shot a suspected tout on Thursday night for refusing to give him N500 at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos.

The policeman, whose identity is yet to be released by the Airport Command of the Nigerian Police Force, was said to have been shot in the stomach at the public car park of the MMIA.

The money was said to have been given to the suspected tout by a passenger whom he had assisted to push his baggage trolley from the arrival terminal to the car park.

Eyewitnesses said the intestines of the suspected tout spilled out from the gunshot wound and he was rushed to Beesam Hospital, near the airport, by security operatives.

Saturday PUNCH learnt that Aviation Security officials of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria immediately alerted the airport police command and the corporal was subsequently arrested.

The General Manager, Corporate Communications, FAAN, Mr. Yakubu Dati, confirmed the development.

But said it could not be confirmed if the victim was dead or not.

“The man was shot by a policeman. He has been rushed to the hospital. The policeman has been arrested. You know, as it is with anything involving a bullet, only a medical doctor can confirm now if the person was dead,” Dati said.

The Commissioner of Police, Airport Command, Mr. Olatunji CaulCrick, also confirmed the development. He said that the circumstances surrounding the shooting was still being investigated, adding that the suspected tout were responding to treatment.

CaulCrick said, “The matter is being investigated. The man that was shot is a suspected tout. We have arrested the policeman who shot him. He will explain the circumstances that led him to shoot the man. There are guides and procedures for using firearms. We don’t know if the man in question exhibited some threats.”

Unconfirmed reports said the corporal was invited to the car park by a woman who had complained that some touts were harassing her.

The policeman, who was identified by airport officials as Mr. Emmanuel Agabi, was said to have followed the woman to the car park where he met some of the touts that had prevented the woman from moving her car.

Agabi was said to have asked the woman to move her car in the presence of the touts and she offered him N500 in return.

Unconfirmed reports said the policeman did not accept the money from the woman.

After the woman had left, the touts, led by one Chuks, allegedly challenged Agabi for stopping them from collecting money from the woman. The situation, it was learnt, forced the latter to shoot Chuks in the stomach.

As at 6 pm on Friday, unconfirmed reports said the gunshot victim was still alive.

Meanwhile, suspected armed robbers operating on a motorcycle shot and killed an unidentified man and injured another in Onitsha on Friday.

The gunmen were said to have trailed their victims, who were in a commercial tricycle, to Upper New Market Road, where they opened fire on them, killing one on the spot while another sustained serious injuries.

Eyewitnesses said the assailants sped off immediately they hit their victims without collecting anything from them.

“Maybe because policemen from Central Police Station were coming after them, but the only thing I know is that the other man that died was shot at a close range and he died instantly,” a source said.

However, the Divisional Police Officer in charge of the Central Police Station in Onitsha, Mr. Tope Fasugba, led a team of policemen to the scene of the shooting and gave the suspects a chase but failed to apprehend them.

Fasugba said his men could not shoot at the fleeing gunmen in order to avoid a situation where innocent persons could be hit by stray bullets.

“Our hands were tied because Onitsha is highly populated and innocent people could be hurt. That was why they escaped when we went after them. They moved faster with the help of commercial motorcycles and were able to escape. But we shall get them,” he said.

The DPO said the motive for the killing was yet unknown, adding that the police would be on their trail.

He said the injured victim of the attack was taken to a hospital for treatment, while the body of the deceased was deposited at a mortuary.

The bolded is a blatant lie.I have never seen anywhere a policeman is offered money and refuse.btw,is the commissioner of police trying to justify the shooting of an innocent Man simply because he challenged a policeman ?
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by usmanyaro17: 2:58pm On Jan 14, 2013
~Bluetooth:

The bolded is a blatant lie.I have never seen anywhere a policeman is offered money and refuse.btw,is the commissioner of police trying to justify the shooting of an innocent Man simply because he challenged a policeman ?
I wonder oh,the police always have a tale to tell after they must have misfired,they have a shattered image that will only take the grace of God to be fixed,our only solace is the other security agencies who are doing well...
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by touchmehard: 3:44pm On Jan 14, 2013
They really need a lot of sanitisation, honestly
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jan 14, 2013
lekanolas: What do you expect from them? Nothing

But if armed robbers visit your house tonight I bet you will rush to look for the police to go and apprehend them, at great risk to their lives. Dumb idi.ot. I hope you retards here realise how many underpaid police officers die every year in gun battles trying to protect your ignorant, overfed, pampered selves from men of the underworld. Ungrateful idiots who only see the 'bad' in everthing.
Re: Nigerian Police Show Of Shame by usmanyaro17: 4:06pm On Jan 14, 2013
ROSSIKE:

But if armed robbers visit your house tonight I bet you will rush to look for the police to go and apprehend them, at great risk to their lives. Dumb idi.ot. I hope you retards here realise how many underpaid police officers die every year in gun battles trying to protect your ignorant, overfed, pampered selves from men of the underworld. Ungrateful idiots who only see the 'bad' in everthing.
O boy,u dey vex oh....We know the importance of the police that why we are saying all these things to correct them,we are expecting alot from them but they are folding our arms,please advice your friends to step up ok.

(1) (Reply)

Sir, I Want To Come & See You ––stella Oduah Begs Jonathan / National Dialogue: Soyinka Advises President Jonathan / PDP/GDI Rally The Streets Of PHC In Response To Ameachi's Defection To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.