Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,162 members, 7,825,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children (1828 Views)

Photos: Biafran Leaders Meet David Cameron At 10 Downing Street / Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri / Pictures Of Biafran Leaders In A Closed Door Meeting. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by DuduNegro: 7:42am On Jan 12, 2013
PART (1)

IN the maelstrom of reactions to Chinua Achebe’s new book, among is a noteworthy opinion that Achebe’s book presents us with an opportunity, perhaps for rational enquiry into some of the events that led to the rise and fall of ‘Biafra’, and its aftermath. It seems that to further understand Achebe’s position; the viewpoints of other persons mostly of Igbo origin may be examined.

ABC Nwosu has alleged there was pogrom, genocide and mass starvation of innocent children in Nigeria in 1966 and in ‘Biafra’ from 1967 to 1970. Undoubtedly and most regrettably, children suffered from the effects of the Nigerian Civil War while the blockade of ‘Biafran’ territory was a reality during the Nigerian Civil War, but it is grossly unfair and inaccurate for anybody to give the impression that the starvation of children was a deliberate policy of the General Yakubu Gowon-led Nigerian Federal Government and for Achebe to have amplified his baseless and queer impression that Chief Obafemi Awolowo sought to exterminate Igbos in order to improve the fortunes of the Yoruba people.

Achebe has consistently had kind words for Aminu Kano in both The Trouble with Nigeria and in his biography authored by Ezenwa-Ohaeto, where at page 138, Achebe recollects an encounter with the Nigerian delegation at a conference he attended in Kampala, Uganda, as roving ambassador of ‘Biafra’.

He states: “I remember very well seeing Aminu Kano on the Nigerian delegation sitting in front and looking so distressed. This is one of the strongest impressions the man made on me, compared to people like Chief Anthony Enahoro who was leader of the delegation swaggering as conquerors, and even Asika.

Aminu Kano seemed to be so different; in fact, he seemed to be looking out of the window. While his colleagues were speaking arrogantly and bent on our surrender, Aminu Kano was calm and in pain”.

The well-orchestrated pogroms in the North in 1966 during which thousands of Igbos and other southerners were slaughtered were, to say the very least, indefensible, and deserved redress. Chuks Iloegunam in the very well researched book, Ironside (the biography of Maj.-Gen. Aguiyi-Ironsi) details in pages 172 to 183 the pogroms in northern Nigeria. He states on page 175 that “People have been hard to convince that Mallam Aminu Kano played a principal role in organising the genocide perpetrated against Ndigbo in 1966, simply because of his position as a politician of the Talakawa or common folk.

And these doubters include those who readily believe the complicity of politicians such as Adamu Ciroma, Umaru Dikko, Suleman Takuma, Mamman Daura, Inuwa Wada and others. But (Iyorchia) Ayu is right in mentioning him, as a notable party to the bloody conspiracy. This fact was confirmed by Hajia Gambo Sawaba, one of the foremost women politicians in Nigeria and a member of Mallam Aminu Kano’s defunct Northern Elements’ Progressive Union (NEPU)….”  

Perhaps Achebe, who is only human after all, has a major problem with his impressions and is better suited to writing fiction and fantasy rather than analysing reality.

A well-publicised statement that[b] ‘’It would appear that the God of Africa has created the Igbo nation to lead the children of Africa from the bondage of ages by Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, president of the Pan-Igbo Federal Union. (The West African Pilot of July 8, 1949) and another that “Igbo domination of Nigeria is only a matter of time”- Charles Dadi Onyeama, a prominent Igbo lawyer (later jurist) and member of the Central Legislative Council, 1945[/b]. (Pg. 204 ‘’Ethnic Politics In Kenya and Nigeria’’ by Godfrey Mwakikagile), together with the flawed execution of the Five Majors’ coup, the perceived triumphant attitude of Igbos after the coup, the alleged ‘Ibonization’ policies of Ironsi, and the notorious Decree 34, certainly created suspicion but cannot justify the unrestrained and calibrated violence unleashed in reaction against Igbos and other southerners.

But given the regional sensibilities and ethnic fraught politics of Nigeria, it is important to note the opinion Bernard Odogwu (Head of Intelligence, Biafra) expressed before the ‘return match’ coup of July 1966 and later published in No Place to Hide - Crises and Conflicts inside Biafra; “First, I ask myself this question; ‘What will be the position as soon as the present mass euphoria in welcoming the ‘revolution’ in the country fades away?’ There is already rumour here within diplomatic circles that January 15 was a grand Igbo design to liquidate all opposition in order to make way for Igbo domination of the whole country. What then is the Igbo man’s defence to this allegation in light of the sectional and selective method adopted by the coup plotters?

Although sitting here alone as I write this, I am tempted to say that there was no such Igbo grand design, yet the inescapable fact is that the Igbos are already as a group being condemned by the rest for the activities of a handful of ambitious Igbo army officers; for here I am, with the rest of my Igbo colleagues, some thousands of miles away from home, yet being put on the defensive for such actions that we were neither consulted about, nor approved of. Our northern colleagues and friends now look on us Igbos here as strangers and potential enemies. They are now more isolated than ever before. Their pride is hurt; and who would blame them?

Secondly, I ask myself the questions posed to me this afternoon by my colleague; What would I do if I were placed in the position of the northerner? What do I do? How do I react to the situation? Do I just deplore and condemn those atrocities or do I plan revenge? I do not blame the northern chaps for feeling so sore since the events of the last few days. They definitely have my sympathy, for it must have been shocking to say the least, for one to wake up one fine morning to find nearly all one’s revered leaders gone overnight.

But they were not only northern leaders as such, and I am as much aggrieved at their loss as any other Nigerian, northern or otherwise. I am particularly shocked at the news that Major Emmanuel Ifeajuna personally shot and killed his mentor, Brigadier Maimalari. My God! That must have been Caesar and Brutus come alive, with the Brigadier definitely saying ‘Et tu Emma’ before collapsing………”“…….

As for the new man at the helm of affairs, Major General Aguiyi-Ironsi, he too like the majority of the Majors is an Igbo, and that has not helped matters either. …..”“…….Granted that he is such a good soldier as he is reputed to be, the question is: ‘Are all good soldiers necessarily good statesmen? Again, how well prepared is he for the task he has just inherited?’ I do hope that he is also as wise as he is reputed to be bold, because if you ask me, I think the General is sitting on a time bomb, with the fuse almost burnt out.

We shall wait and see what happens next, but from my observations, I know the present state of affairs will not last long. A northern counter-action is definitely around the corner, and God save us all when it explodes.

”‘Major General’ Alexander Madiebo, the Commander of the Biafran Army, in the informative and comprehensively detailed book; the Nigerian Revolution and the Biafran War, at pages 46 to 50, relates how he obtained advance information about the planned pogroms of 1966 and accordingly briefed Aguiyi-Ironsi in the presence of Mobolaji-Johnson (then governor of Lagos State), to no avail.

Aguiyi-Ironsi labelled Madiebo a rumour-monger.Ironically, the February 1966 coup had been widely celebrated, even in the North, but after the selective execution came to light, together with the failure to try the coupists, and unsuitability of Aguiyi-Ironsi’s policy decisions, especially Decree 34, were noted, northern reaction became, in the Nigerian context, inevitable, inasmuch as the actual fighting troops of the Nigerian Army were predominantly northerners.

PART (2)

THE conduct of some Federal troops during the Civil War certainly was not all wholesome. The Asaba massacre is a major disgrace.

The indiscriminate bombing by hired Egyptian pilots, which is similar to but not on the same scale as Nazi Germany air blitz of London, Allied forces carpet bombing of German cities and USA destruction of Nagasaki and Hiroshima with atomic bombs, all during the Second World War, USA large-scale napalm bombing during the Viet Nam war, among others, was unfortunate. But only a very few Igbo persons, Prof. Chinua Achebe and ABC Nwosu inclusive, have ever addressed the problems faced by ‘minorities’ in ‘Biafra’.

Arthur Nwankwo in the excellent book, Nigeria: The Challenge of Biafra frankly states on page 71 that “Suspicion of collaboration with the federal troops made the Biafran non-Ibos victims of molestation and even torture and death from over-zealous Ibos.

Understandably, these unhappy events turned these people against the Biafran state, which they identified as an Ibo state. It must, however, be placed on record that among the Biafran scientists, leaders, propagandists and soldiers were many Efiks, Ibibios, Ijaws and Ogojas who excelled in their work, and who received Biafran state honours for their services”.

It is quite understandable that ‘Biafran’ die-hards harbour grudges against Chief Obafemi Awolowo. From all indications, the erudite, learned, sagacious, versatile and eminent chief, a practical economist of note, was responsible for the change of Nigerian currency during the Civil War. The effect of this change was of ruinous and catastrophic effect to ‘Biafra’.

According to Alexander Madiebo (in the Nigerian Revolution and the Biafran War, pages 381-382) “The Biafran financial disaster, if not a total collapse of the change in currency by Nigeria in January 1968, was the most important single reason why we lost the war. At the end of the financial chaos which followed in Biafra, we had lost over 50 million pounds, which would have made a world of difference in our favour if properly utilised for the execution of the war’.

By this currency change, among other reasons, Awolowo’s greatness as a national leader in his commitment to the unity and progress of Nigeria above and beyond ethnic boundaries and loyalties is manifest, despite Achebe’s insistence to the contrary, immediately after Awolowo’s demise.

Another excellent novelist, Cyprian Ekwensi, in The Nigerian Civil War 1967-1970, History and Reminiscences (edited by General HB Momoh) states at page 508 that “ Now, another thing which helped Biafran propaganda which I have talked about was credibility. If I tell you now that I contested for Senator in my village and I had 300,000 votes - the whole population of my village is about 30,000 - I had 300,000 against my opponent who had 500,000, now how do you prove it? Don’t you see? When you are telling someone something which is unprovable, he has two choices. One, to believe you, and two, not to believe you. If he believes you, it will be on your past record of truth. If he doesn’t believe you, it will be on your lack of credibility.

Now, Nigeria committed a lot of lack-of-credibility acts. They will say there will be a conference for peace tomorrow and they will be bombing the town in which the peace conference will be held tonight. So the outside world saw them as people who were showing us their might rather than bringing back a strayed part of the federation into the fold again.

We gave the number of children dying per day as 1,000. Can you prove that? Can you disprove it? But can you believe it? That is propaganda. And we said two million Biafrans were killed in the war in 30 months. So when we started returning to Lagos, one of my friends saw me and said, “Ah! I thought you’ve died. Okoko Ndem you are alive - they said all of you died - 21/2 million people died.” Now Nigeria couldn’t disprove that thing. So that is part of the secret of propaganda. That is, working with probable facts rather than convincing facts”.

He also confirms at page 509, that relief flights were utilised to smuggle arms into Biafra; “What a risk we were taking! If that thing blows up, everybody goes. Arms, part of this way; milk and corn flower (sic) part of the other way; rice and all those other things”. He also reveals that Uli Airport, at a point in time, handled 40 flights per night, bearing ‘relief materials with arms built into them”.

When asked the question “Most of the information going out of Biafra was exaggerated. Why was this so?” Ekwensi replied; “Have you ever heard of the statement, ‘All is fair in love and war?’ Is that wrong? Are you saying it is wrong?” (Page 510).

On malnutrition of children, he states: “It was there. I had a friend named Charles Ogonna who had seven children. The children’s colour changed to gold because of malnutrition and their bellies became very big. You see a child with a fat belly and yet he is hungry. Don’t you see - what is in that belly? So it did affect; there were no regular meals. In every situation in Nigeria or Africa somebody will take advantage of it.

The relief materials were being sold in the market. They were not given to the relief centres and refugee centres. We had our refugees too. So people were selling the relief materials”.He confirms that “People were stealing and selling the food. You could buy it in the market but you couldn’t get it in the relief centres”.

(Page 510.) And yet, the main targets of the relief efforts; children, were dying from starvation, while some Biafrans profited from the theft and sale of relief food.

The irresponsible and refusal of ‘Biafran’ authorities to agree in very good time to land corridors for day time supplies of relief materials, especially food, to be administered and distributed by international aid agencies manifest in ABC Nwosu’s reference to ‘human pride and human freedom’ as the reason for “Biafran’ stubbornness in not compromising in food and relief allied negotiations and rampant theft of relief materials are fundamental and callous ‘Biafra at all costs’ contributory factors to the unfortunate starvation of innocent children, a fact that ‘Biafran’ die-hards pathetically refuse to countenance.

To utilise Nwosu’s words, ‘these sick and twisted minds’ are those ‘Biafrans’ that sacrificed ‘Biafran’ children to starvation due to overweening and foolish pride, and those that stole and sold relief materials for gain.

In the foreword to thought provoking book, Reflections on the Nigerian Civil War; Facing the Future (1969), by the courageous Ralph Uwechue, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe states that “I commend this book to those who are interested in resolving the Nigerian crisis with realism”, but the likes of Ojukwu, Nwokedi, Achebe and Nwosu, defiant hardliners, definitely were obviously not interested.

Uwechue at page 139 states; “It is here perhaps that the question of the responsibility of a timid Ibo elite comes in. The Biafran masses, enslaved by an extremely efficient propaganda network and cowed by the iron grip of a ruthless military machine, had neither the facts nor the liberty to form an independent opinion.

The case of the elite was different. Biafra’s choice was clear after the double losses of (a) territory, with the fall of Biafra’s major towns, Enugu, Port Harcourt, Calabar, Onitsha, Aba and Umuahia and, (b) war funds, with the exhaustion of Biafra’s treasury in February 1968 caused by Nigeria’s switch to a new currency which suddenly rendered practically valueless some thirty million pounds in Biafran hands.

Those who had access to the facts knew that the time had come to seek a realistic way to end the war and save millions of defenseless Ibos and innocent children from disaster. In private, they expressed this view but proved too cowardly to take a stand and tell Ojukwu the truth. On the contrary, they allowed themselves to be used for the public denunciation of those who took the risk of calling for a halt.

Yet, when their cherished handiwork was threatened with collapse, these front-line advocates of ‘fighting to the last man’ were the first men to flee”. It is not unreasonable to suspect that Achebe and Nwosu remain defiant ‘Biafran’ propagandists who also believe their inaccurate and often times fictional handiwork.

Authored by Olufemi Sogunle.

3 Likes

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by Jerie(m): 7:44am On Jan 12, 2013
::::
Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by confusion247(m): 7:56am On Jan 12, 2013
To be honest, you are very stupid to bring this issue up again. What Will you gain from igniting ethnic hatred and conflicts. Achebe wrote a book based on his personal experience, and since then you have been having sleepless nights. Shame on you. Awolowo is a saint. So go back to your bed and sleep with two eyes closed.

2 Likes

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by confusion247(m): 8:21am On Jan 12, 2013
Tomorrow you will hear fools say one Nigeria while they are the ones making it impossible for Nigeria to unite. What will a normal human being gain from making others to be angry. OP, you are a disgrace to mankind

1 Like

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by vanbonattel: 8:46am On Jan 12, 2013
This is not about the past, this is all about the future.......those digging up non existent lies about Igbo are scared of the future of this fast growing people and will do anything to distract them. E dey pain them welli welli and thats why they keep opening old wounds to get even.

1 Like

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by nku5: 8:49am On Jan 12, 2013
Make una take am easy on the op. He's desperate for attention and hasn't been getting any

1 Like

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by vanbonattel: 8:51am On Jan 12, 2013
nku5: Make una take am easy on the op. He's desperate for attention and hasn't been getting any

He should go hug a wet transformer to have good attention.
Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by Standing5(m): 8:53am On Jan 12, 2013
Nice write up.

1 Like

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by confusion247(m): 9:26am On Jan 12, 2013
Standing5: Nice write up.
If cultivating ethnic hatred and conflicts is what you call nice write up, you should visit any near by hospital because you have issues to sort out in your brain. All your life, you are just thinking of how to provoke ethnic hatred instead of thinking on how to make the country unite.

1 Like

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by T9ksy(m): 9:53am On Jan 12, 2013
confusion247: To be honest, you are very stupid to bring this issue up again. What Will you gain from igniting ethnic hatred and conflicts. Achebe wrote a book based on his personal experience, and since then you have been having sleepless nights. Shame on you. Awolowo is a saint. So go back to your bed and sleep with two eyes closed.

Gosh! Its amazing how you guys cogitate! Do you mean the issue, whatever it is, is dead and buried? Who says? You lot? So when achebe penned his pile of junk which you all ignorantly called a book and claim its based on his personal experience, what was his aim? To unite us? When achebe wrote things like “oh ibos are superior to all the other ethnic groups in Nigeria”, what was his aim? To make these other groups, love and respect the ibos?

Let it be known to achebe and his co-travellers in the bus of deceit and revisionism that we are not omo ales- we will always be standing tall and ready to punch holes in your infantile attempts to portray others (in the country),as evil with hard FACTS. Not dem say dem say or personal experience from a jaundiced and ethnically-bias prism.

To the op, I say kudos to you and keep it coming.

More grease to your elbow o'jare and let those who can’t stomach the truth, take a long walk off the shortest pier. Yeye peps!!!

6 Likes

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by Nobody: 10:27am On Jan 12, 2013
Brilliant....! Simply brilliant..these are type of resources that we need to keep for our children so that when these people brain washed their kids...there will always be the truth and facts from our side

5 Likes

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by Standing5(m): 12:22pm On Jan 12, 2013
ilugunboy: Brilliant....! Simply brilliant..these are type of resources that we need to keep for our children so that when these people brain washed their kids...there will always be the truth and facts from our side
Exactly bro!
The Truth must surely prevail irrespective of how bitter it may be.

1 Like

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by AndreUweh(m): 12:51pm On Jan 12, 2013
Standing5:
Exactly bro!
The Truth must surely prevail irrespective of how bitter it may be.
There are so many areas that requires the truth to be told. You guys should concentrate on those areas and not just obsession with Igbo. Yorubas have been fighting wars within themselves before Biafra. They have also fought with Fulanis before Biafra. How about Awo vs Akintola wars, Obasanjo vs Mko, Ooni vs Alafin. Others will not do this for you, do it yourselves and leave Igbo matters with Ndigbo. Why are there so many stubborn people in nairaland?.
Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by Noiseless2: 1:57pm On Jan 12, 2013
I blame the Igbos who are still refusing to acknowledge the fact that the republic of Biafra is where real life is, but even as they choosed blindly continues appeasing the ever evil yahoo yahoo Yoruba by not speaking out against the evil being met to the Igbos in general, in their face we shall overcome.

Continue to keep mute just because you live and conduct your businesses where ever, if you have eyes that can see then you would have seen what the future is. And for all those foolish Igbos who can't see, hear or ignore the mockery in those green snakes camouflaging in green grass, shame on you!
Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by DuduNegro: 5:52pm On Jan 12, 2013
As we speak, there are petitions infront of UN accusing the administration of Gowon of genocide and starvation of Biafran children. There are live articles on the web, written by well educated Igbo elites, in which they enumerated many atrocities and violations of human rights perpetrated by FG on the Igbos.

Nobody is talking about how Igbos violated and tortured non-igbo minorities within Biafra.

Many people wonder what calibre of men would put pride before life and watch millions of their children and women die in front of them and not come to their aid. To these people I say wonder no more. Just read the article and get a glimpse of who these calibre of humans are.

As long Biafra holds onto its belief that its children and women were starved to death by others, the others retain the interest to reveal that the atrocities and death of those children and their mothers is in the hands of Biafran leaders.

All ndigbos who are pained and grieved by the loss of loved ones ought to rejoice in this revelation and not condemn it.

2 Likes

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by Duru1(m): 6:16pm On Jan 12, 2013
It is only in the goofy world of one idiotic Olufemi Sogunle that blockade is not considered a deliberate action. If I say Olufemi Sogunle is starkly ignorant in the act of warfare, it is a mere compliment. Only a fool such as Olufemi Sogunle will accept foods from an enemy who wanted nothing less than annihilation of an opponent. No wonder Oyo Empire was relocated from northern region of Nigeria to southwestern region of Nigeria, thanks to certain people including Afonja.

Why goofy Olufemi Sogunle seemed twisted out of human form by innocuous statements credited to Azikwe and Onyeama, the bigot felt at home with statements such as dipping Quran into Atlantic Ocean ceremoniously owned by Bello and Balewa.

At least, the drunken jackass agreed the total blockade of Biafra and change of Nigerian currency, the acclaimed brain children of Awolowo, bit hard on Biafra’s effort to prosecute the war, another malnourished disciple such as Negro_nuts thought they were the reasons Ndigbo lost their financial savings.

2 Likes

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by DuduNegro: 7:09pm On Jan 12, 2013
Duru1: It is only in the goofy world of one idiotic Olufemi Sogunle that blockade is not considered a deliberate action. If I say Olufemi Sogunle is starkly ignorant in the act of warfare, it is a mere compliment. Only a fool such as Olufemi Sogunle will accept foods from an enemy who wanted nothing less than annihilation of an opponent. No wonder Oyo Empire was relocated from northern region of Nigeria to southwestern region of Nigeria, thinks to certain people including Afonja.

Why goofy Olufemi Sogunle seemed twisted out of human form by innocuous statements credited to Azikwe and Onyeama, the bigot felt at home with statements such as dipping Quran into Atlantic Ocean ceremoniously owned by Bello and Balewa.

At least, the drunken jackass agreed the total blockade of Biafra and change of Nigerian currency, the acclaimed brain children of Awolowo, bit hard on Biafra’s effort to prosecute the war, another malnourished disciple such as Negro_nuts thought they were the reasons Ndigbo lost their financial savings.

can you please preach to this malnourished negro how well fed biafrans lost their savings

"biafran soldiers and leaders diverted foodstocks designated for relief and refugee shelter and sold it in market.....".
wtf does this have to do with blockade or no blockade?
Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by Duru1(m): 7:34pm On Jan 12, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

can you please preach to this malnourished negro how well fed biafrans lost their savings

"biafran soldiers and leaders diverted foodstocks designated for relief and refugee shelter and sold it in market.....".
wtf does this have to do with blockade or no blockade?

When your godfather aka Awolowo changed Nigerian currency in 1967, it was the point Biafrans lost their financial savings.

It is true that stupidity can not be fixed. If I may ask, which feedstock and market were you blabbing about? The planes trying to smuggle food and medicine in the Biafra and markets were constantly harassed by Nigerian MIG flown by Egyptians.

Anybody who reads the silly threads accredited to you on this forum should realize you are inherently clueless what blockade means.

2 Likes

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by Standing5(m): 8:25pm On Jan 12, 2013
Duru1, is it a crime to block ones own territory? If the Biafrans are claimimg not to be part of Nigeria, was Nigeria suppose to open its borders to Biafra? Self preservation is commonsense bro . . . Biafra should have tried to out Cameroun asan alternative source of bringing in her supplies but we all know the reputation of Biafrans in the eyes of Camerounian, especially the southern Camerounians.
Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by seanet01: 8:46pm On Jan 12, 2013
Duru1:

When your godfather aka Awolowo changed Nigerian currency in 1967, it was the point Biafrans lost their financial savings.

It is true that stupidity can not be fixed. If I may ask, which feedstock and market were you blabbing about? The planes trying to smuggle food and medicine in the Biafra and markets were constantly harassed by Nigerian MIG flown by Egyptians.

Anybody who reads the silly threads accredited to you on this forum should realize you are inherently clueless what blockade means.
So you did not know that their are also air borders?
Fact was biafra was trying to fly over another peoples territory and got dealt with

1 Like

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by DuduNegro: 9:20pm On Jan 12, 2013
Duru1:

what exactly was Ojukwu expecting the war to be?

he sat on a republic and new states were created to isolate biafra and non-igbo minorities were pulled from under him.

he sat on millions of pounds he confiscated from cbn and even though he had early warnings tgat the currency would be changed at a future date, he still sat there like a zombie and waited for the change to go through before he realized biafra needed its own currency.

what a dummy!!
Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by Duru1(m): 9:48pm On Jan 12, 2013
Standing5: Duru1, is it a crime to block ones own territory? If the Biafrans are claimimg not to be part of Nigeria, was Nigeria suppose to open its borders to Biafra? Self preservation is commonsense bro . . . Biafra should have tried to out Cameroun asan alternative source of bringing in her supplies but we all know the reputation of Biafrans in the eyes of Camerounian, especially the southern Camerounians.

I guess this same reputation Bakassi was ceded to Cameroon. Believe me; I never expected less than a jaundice illogical conclusion from a typical Nigerian. Only a jackass will blockade his\her own territory as you have moronically insinuated.

1 Like

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by Duru1(m): 9:52pm On Jan 12, 2013
seanet01: So you did not know that their are also air borders?
Fact was biafra was trying to fly over another peoples territory and got dealt with

You are showing off a typical Nigerian intellect. It is call the might is right. When did Biafra territory become Nigeria’s enclave during civil war?

2 Likes

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jan 12, 2013
Duru1:

When your fathers and the hausas were slaughtering one another in the scorching earth of the eastern wasteland...Pa Awo was in a comfortable room calculating the math of how to end the war as quickly as possible to minimise human loss...

Next time ...you people should learn how not to put the cart before the horse.

1 Like

Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by babapupa: 9:56pm On Jan 12, 2013
confusion247: To be honest, you are very stupid to bring this issue up again. What Will you gain from igniting ethnic hatred and conflicts. Achebe wrote a book based on his personal experience, and since then you have been having sleepless nights. Shame on you. Awolowo is a saint. So go back to your bed and sleep with two eyes closed.

Don't you mean that senile bigot lied about his personal experience because not too many people cook up lies and label it personal experience.
Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by Duru1(m): 10:00pm On Jan 12, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

he sat on a republic and new states were created to isolate biafra and non-igbo minorities were pulled from under him.

he sat on millions of pounds he confiscated from cbn and even though he had early warnings tgat the currency would be changed at a future date, he still sat there like a zombie and waited for the change to go through before he realized biafra needed its own currency.

what a dummy!!

Of course, Ojukwu knew what war is all about so he never wasted his precious time fabricating nonsensical craps or sitting historical fact on its head like Yoruba peeps do. Only dummy such as you would insinuate that any reasonable fellow will sit on bank notes when the aforementioned currency has been changed. I hope Nigerian educational system has ceased to crank out ill-informed school-leavers such as you.
Re: Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children by babapupa: 10:01pm On Jan 12, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

what a dummy!!

Ibo logic is always upside down logic and this is why they fail all the time.....

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

SPECIAL REPORT: As Lagos Sets To Venture Into Oil And Gas / APC Executives. / Ifeanyi Ubah Is Not Related To Andy Uba @ifeanyiubahgov

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.